C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Could it be???? Look what was spotted at Les Stanford Today!

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 11:18 PM
Rapid Fred
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,314 Likes on 754 Posts

Originally Posted by Colorado C6
You guys are really reaching for answers tonight. You lost this debate from the git go. Thank you to those who supported my thread. "Special detailing could mean damage repair" You can do better than that Crabby. Just remember--it goes fast in a straight line and is world class. Just keep saying that.
It goes pretty fast around curves, too, COC6...

We get that you love your Z4 -- but the stuff you incessantly rag on about C6's is, and for years has been, just as obvious as the low-speed thrills the Z4 provides. Shouldn't you spend more time enjoying the car you love than posting the obvious ad nauseam?
Old 05-02-2012, 11:19 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Just remember--it goes fast in a straight line
True.
But that's not all that this world class sports/performance car does....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJrXVRGPgPE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ok1WUO3p1oQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IOeR...CA9DD873036525
Old 05-02-2012, 11:29 PM
Rapid Fred
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,314 Likes on 754 Posts

Originally Posted by 2K3Z06
As a current corvette owner (and current Mazdaspeed owner) and former BMW owner. I agree on that one. The fit of the panel gaps and the quality of the interior materials are 2nd rate.

The interior of my MS Miata is better than my vette, and it cost $25,000 less.

I know this is a vette fan boy website. But there are a lot of areas that need improvement.

My biggest problem is that the MSM shifter and seats are so good. When I get in the vette it feels like I shifting a Fu**ing tractor.

GO ahead, flame away. YOu guys know I'm right.
I noticed how nicely designed and put together the Miata interior was when I recently test drove a 2007 model. Absolute blast to drive as well -- surprisingly fast, great handling and ergonomically wonderful. But, it's a teeny thing, no luggage space whatever, and requires major revs to perform. All of which would be great as a weekend toy but horrible as a DD. So the Vette still wins for me.

The C7 will be a nice improvement vs. the C6, but the focus needs to be on what makes a Vette a Vette, not on the last nth degree of interior sophistication.
Old 05-02-2012, 11:33 PM
shawnvettefan
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
You might want to go back and do just that then before jumping too quickly to his defense LOL.
He might make one or two remotely valid points mixed in with another twenty extremely negative biased opinions, not unlike that of a classic internet troll.

Well, that's the final word I suppose.
You stated it so it must be fact.
Perhaps you're right, I haven't read all his comments.

But I'm ok with anyone who has had previous experience with Corvettes talking about it's shortcomings (if they are valid). I'm all for improving the Corvette in everyway!
Old 05-02-2012, 11:40 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by shawnvettefan
But I'm ok with anyone who has had previous experience with Corvettes talking about it's shortcomings (if they are valid). I'm all for improving the Corvette in everyway!
I am as well, but again only if they are valid, objective and factual.
Old 05-02-2012, 11:54 PM
Racer X
Le Mans Master

Received 4,376 Likes on 2,067 Posts

Originally Posted by BobRBob
This has turned into a bit of a pile on for no particular reason as far as I can see. Gotta say, other things being equal, I'd also prefer to have my car shipped in a covered van over having it out in the open. Not a big deal but it does seem like a bit of a no-brainer to me. BMWs are enclosed during shipping across the ocean as well so there's no exposure to salt spray. I've purchased two BMWs brand new and both were delivered in perfect condition with only a couple of miles on the odo. As for the relative quality of the two brands I have to say the BMW is much higher. I'm no hater but that's a no-brainer as well. You don't have to look very hard to see the difference. Hell, you can even see it in the two pictures with the girls in the cars. Not sure what the point of the burning cars is. Lots of Corvettes have gone up in smoke too.

I'm a fan of both cars but GM can learn a few things from BMW. They do a lot of things right and didn't go bankrupt.
The treatment of BMW in transport is so perfect and special until you see them sitting in row after row exposed at the port in Houston. It is not just salt spray but salt in the air, unless they are in sealed containers.

All BMWs are much higher quality even their bottom of the line like the Z4? You mean the car with essentially the same base price as a Corvette that comes standard with Vinyl interior, metallic paint is only available as an option, inferior front strut suspension, inferior "Central Link" rear suspension, 190 hp less for the base engine and weighs more that the Corvette; Z4. That is the Z4 you are referring to.

Do you really want to go into the history of the automakers? Do you mean the BMW that supported the ****'s. Do you mean the BMW that probably wouldn't exist without the US European rebuilding plans after WW2? Is that the BMW you are talking about? There are very few European or Japanese auto companies (that existed prior to WW2) that have not benefited from the actions of the US government.

ColoradoC6 talks about "facts" and talks about Corvettes being shipped under "sheets". I don't see any sheets in the pictures. I see specially designed shipping covers. Where are said "sheets". So much for "facts".
Old 05-03-2012, 01:02 AM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Racer X
The treatment of BMW in transport is so perfect and special until you see them sitting in row after row exposed at the port in Houston. It is not just salt spray but salt in the air, unless they are in sealed containers.

All BMWs are much higher quality even their bottom of the line like the Z4? You mean the car with essentially the same base price as a Corvette that comes standard with Vinyl interior, metallic paint is only available as an option, inferior front strut suspension, inferior "Central Link" rear suspension, 190 hp less for the base engine and weighs more that the Corvette; Z4. That is the Z4 you are referring to.

Do you really want to go into the history of the automakers? Do you mean the BMW that supported the ****'s. Do you mean the BMW that probably wouldn't exist without the US European rebuilding plans after WW2? Is that the BMW you are talking about? There are very few European or Japanese auto companies (that existed prior to WW2) that have not benefited from the actions of the US government.

ColoradoC6 talks about "facts" and talks about Corvettes being shipped under "sheets". I don't see any sheets in the pictures. I see specially designed shipping covers. Where are said "sheets". So much for "facts".
Well said.
Old 05-03-2012, 01:36 AM
JLinCA
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Racer X

Outstanding
Old 05-03-2012, 03:38 AM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Guys, lets not forget the fact that a GM is more dependable than a BMW:

http://autos.jdpower.com/ratings/dep...tudy=909201236

Lets face it. German cars are built like crap. BWM isn't on par with Chevy in the grand scheme of things. In fact, in most independent studies, German cars were rated least reliable cars made only above Dodge/Chrysler.

Even is this IQS report, GM and BMW scored the same in build quality, except that there are LOTS of Chevys that made it to the top model (by class) and only 1 BMW (X6) which made it to a top model.
http://businesscenter.jdpower.com/JD...11089-iqse.pdf

Sorry, but the idea that you're getting what you pay for with a BMW is far over due for a reality re-evaluation. Not enough people who buy BMWs take their noses out of the air to look down at ratings. Even BMW's commercials are annoying. I guess it stands to reason that their fan boys would be just as bad.
Old 05-03-2012, 07:01 AM
thebrander
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
BMW will have something that laps that fast in only 10 years from now... and since the C8 will only have 1.7L engine by then, it's going to get smoked by the Z4.9. You just watch buddy!
Old 05-03-2012, 07:32 AM
BobRBob
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 33 Posts

German cars are built like crap? Ridiculous nonsense. And you guys call ColC6 a hater. Good grief.

LS1LT1, do you really credit the US government for the global success of the German auto industry today? Really? How about Japan? Give me a break. The US continues to prop up much of Europe but Germany is not part of the problem.

It is precisely because the US auto industry stuck its head in the sand for 40 years, ignoring foreign competition, that it got so far behind. It is catching up but still has a long way to go, especially when it comes to selling its products abroad. Cadillac and Buick get it and are working hard to build their brands with some success. Chevy is trying with the Cruze but so far no cigar. Corvette has stated their objectives clearly on this matter but the proof will be in the pudding. Like it or not, the Germans set the benchmark; that is a fact and they got there by building cars that people want to buy. BMW, Audi, VW and Porsche are all global brands. That is what Corvette needs to do with the C7. If they don't it could be the end of the line. Oh, and "marketing" won't do squat if the product doesn't make the grade.

And LLinNY, don't be too concerned about all those BMWs sitting in the yard in Houston. They sell so quickly that they don't sit there for very long.

Cheers.

Last edited by BobRBob; 05-03-2012 at 07:44 AM.
Old 05-03-2012, 08:21 AM
Parker Corvette
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I see some of you folks have been up all night trying to respond to my factual comments. First of all, thank you BobRBob for your well written responce to some of the dribble. Comments made here overnight indicate that these folks have no clue about how BMW's are shipped and delivered. BMW along with Mercedes Benz, Porsche, VW, and Audi cater to a world market. I believe the shipper of BMW and Rolls Royce (owned by BMW) owns something like 64 ships and I believe they are registered in Sweeden. I may be wrong, but I don't believe BMW has a reception center in Houston.

How many Corvettes are exported? Very few. Fewer and fewer Corvettes are being sold even in the US. Corvette is on a slippery slop and if the C6.4 doesn't feature some new technology and a better build quality, it's all over. The man in the plaid pants will have to try and sell Volts for a living.

We still have a 2008 C6 in the garage. My original comments on this forum had to deal with my 2009 C6 and the creaking top, uncomfortable seats, horrible NAV system, and overall low quality of construction. It did go fast in a straight line though.

When you know you are on a losing team, the responses get strange and make no sense. Such is the case on this forum and by the comments by GM's CEO in the recent interview posted here. He couldn't even put together a good sentence in regard to the Proposed C6.4.
Old 05-03-2012, 09:04 AM
Reciprocal
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts

Like it or not, the Germans set the benchmark; that is a fact and they got there by building cars that people*"want to buy". BMW, Audi, VW and Porsche are all global brands. That is what Corvette needs to do with the C7. If they don't it could be the end of the line.
That is wrong. The cars that people want to buy is a truck. Over a million a year from GM and Ford alone.
Old 05-03-2012, 09:45 AM
m48xhp
Melting Slicks

Received 211 Likes on 80 Posts

these folks have no clue about how BMW's are shipped and delivered.
do you really know? have you followed a shipment from Germany to the dealership?
just like every other car.....they ship from the manufacturing plant to the port in Germany. Sit outside for a long time. hours...days...it depends. seagul **** to salt water will get all over it. then, they get shipped 'open' on a shipping vessel. salt water can get in just a bout every where on these ships. high humidity is hell on the cars as well.
Here is a pic of all the cars sitting outside BMW's Germany port:

Then it seems the bulk of them ship to New Jersey, where they are unloaded to park again for hours...days...depends.
Here is a pic of the car yard at the Port of New Jersey:

Here is a better pic of BMWs sitting UNCOVERED at the BMW VDC in Oxnard CA:

And dont think BMWs are immune from careless shipping:
http://www.autoblog.com/2008/01/14/o...d-in-shipping/

I may be wrong, but I don't believe BMW has a reception center in Houston.
you are right! they do not have a VDC in Houston, however that doesnt mean BMWs dont still come here to the Port of Houston or Galveston. Some do. Third party shipping companies can handle the logistics without a BMW VDC.
Here is a map of BMW Ports of Call using W&W for shipping:

my point: BMWs are nice. Z4s are nice. I actually like them a lot. The guy I bought my vette from (Mike the Powdercoater) bought a Z4 to replace it. If it had a little more ***** under the hood, I wouldnt be opposed to driving one myself. but DONT BE NAIVE! BMWs are cars to and they put on a show for you by transporting them in enclosed trailers and what not.

C6.4.
and for the love of Jesus, stop calling it the C6.4 in every post. It's not funny. It's not clever. It doesn't make sense. It'd be funny if you said C6.5 ONCE, or something that made half-sense. I've even called it the C4v4.1a so I get what you are trying to do, but I only called it that once or twice. Either way all we've seen are drawings from people guessing.

Last edited by m48xhp; 05-03-2012 at 09:50 AM.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:05 AM
Rock36
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This conversation is fun... I have seen with my own two eyes uncovered BMW 3ers leave the factory in Regensburg on a train. Maybe BMW NA covers their cars once they are stateside, but they sure as hell dont do it here. That goes for truck transport, and it goes for cars like Porsche as well.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:05 AM
BobRBob
Racer

Originally Posted by Reciprocal
That is wrong. The cars that people want to buy is a truck. Over a million a year from GM and Ford alone.
This changes everything...
Old 05-03-2012, 10:15 AM
BobRBob
Racer

Rock and M48, I'm sure that BMWs spend as much time outside during shipment as the next guy and I have no idea if they cover them on their trucks in the US. I know they don't here in Canada. I said I'd prefer it that way other things being equal but I don't much care either way. The point is that BMWs are delivered in good time and in good shape and that's what matters. Distributing automobiles worldwide requires world class logistics, something BMW has in spades.

Get notified of new replies

To Could it be???? Look what was spotted at Les Stanford Today!

Old 05-03-2012, 10:23 AM
Reciprocal
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts

This changes everything...
Hoped it would, thanks!
Old 05-03-2012, 10:48 AM
WaxWeekly
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 45 Posts

WaxWeekley---Are you not concerned at all about damage to your new car in shipment? Your car may be in a rail yard, parked at a truck stop, Subject to hail. I am glad that my Z4 was shipped in an enclosed carrier. And it really doesn't matter how many miles I drive the car????? or that it is designed to sit out. That's your problem once you own it. By the way, I think 60,000 was the most I ever put on a car before trading. I love these responses.
I simply stated that I bought it to drive it. The miles it sits under a fitted cover are a tiny fraction of the wear and tear my cars will endure. Do I care? Read my license plate... Proper care is part of my enjoyment of the car.

Hopefully one of these days we can meet up at a nice street track and do a few laps. I'm sure your build quality will smoke my creaky roof around any course.

The point is, you buy a car for an intended use. Your use is obviously different than many of the regular posters on this forum. Take your short-bus Z4 and enjoy. At the LA auto show my friend and I really enjoyed that there was a line of 15 women waiting to sit in the Z4. Some of them were lookers.

Last edited by WaxWeekly; 05-03-2012 at 10:52 AM.
Old 05-03-2012, 12:28 PM
Dudeurgettnavette
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I need a bmw

Quick Reply: Could it be???? Look what was spotted at Les Stanford Today!