C7 electronics

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2012, 08:03 AM
I Bin Therbefor
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default C7 electronics

From MotorAuthority

" CUE, short for Cadillac User Experience, is GM’s high end infotainment system, scheduled to debut in the upcoming Cadillac XTS sedan. After learning from mistakes made by Ford and Lincoln, Cadillac designed the CUE to be more intuitive and user friendly.

CUE will also be the first automotive infotainment system with a fully-capacitive screen, like that found on an iPad tablet. The screen will sense proximity of a user’s hand, too, illuminating before it’s actually touched. It will provide users with haptic feedback as well, signaling menu changes and confirming button entries.

As expected, the CUE system provides a wide variety of features to the user, including HD Radio, three-dimensional maps, ancillary instrumentation, apps and even a mobile web browser. Now comes word from GM Authority that some of the features developed for the CUE will trickle down to other GM vehicles, including the 2014 Chevrolet Impala.

Don’t expect to see all of the good stuff on lesser-brand vehicles. The capacitive screen, haptic feedback and proximity sensor technologies will likely remain Cadillac exclusives, while features like the 3D maps and web browser will be ported to Chevy’s MyLink and GMC / Buick’s Intellilink systems.

The web browser feature could appear on select 2013 GM vehicles, though it will likely require the use of a paired smartphone. Other GM vehicles likely to get more of the CUE system features include 2014 Buick Regal and Lacrosse models, as well as the 2014 GMC Sierra pickup. "

The question is, how much of this will appear on the C7?
Old 05-05-2012, 11:01 AM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,939 Likes on 1,185 Posts

The word I have - from someone who works in the GM Tech Center - is that the C7 will not have the latest version of CUE that the XTS will get, since the Corvette design is "off cycle" from that of other GM products.
Old 05-05-2012, 02:16 PM
Parker Corvette
Pro

I attended the new car show this year and viewed the new Cadilliac XTS. The gentleman on the turntable showing the car said very clearly that Cadilliac soon will divorce itself from GM and be a stand along company. I had asked him about CUE being avaliable to other divisions of GM and specifically in regard to Corvette. He seemsed to think that CUE was the property of Cadilliac division and was not sure if it would be a shared technology. I would not be suprised if Cadilliac and Corvette were stand alone companies in the near future.
Old 05-05-2012, 03:17 PM
SanDiegoBert
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Colorado C6
I attended the new car show this year and viewed the new Cadilliac XTS. The gentleman on the turntable showing the car said very clearly that Cadilliac soon will divorce itself from GM and be a stand along company. I had asked him about CUE being avaliable to other divisions of GM and specifically in regard to Corvette. He seemsed to think that CUE was the property of Cadilliac division and was not sure if it would be a shared technology. I would not be suprised if Cadilliac and Corvette were stand alone companies in the near future.
Cadilliac?
Old 05-05-2012, 04:00 PM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

No new C7 news here. As for the tale of the gentleman on the Cadillac turntable at a car show, I consider the source and I flat-out do not believe it.
Old 05-05-2012, 09:40 PM
jackhall99
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

... The gentleman on the turntable showing the car said very clearly that Cadilliac soon will divorce itself from GM and be a stand along company. ....

... I would not be suprised if Cadilliac and Corvette were stand alone companies in the near future.
Old 05-05-2012, 09:41 PM
jackhall99
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Jinx
No new C7 news here. As for the tale of the gentleman on the Cadillac turntable at a car show, I consider the source and I flat-out do not believe it.
Old 05-05-2012, 09:43 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Jinx
I tend to agree, though I suppose it depends on if he was a high ranking executive or engineer type at Cadillac, or was he a salesman from a local Cadillac dealership (as is sometimes the case with car show staff/representatives).
Old 05-05-2012, 10:36 PM
jackhall99
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

As posted May 1 in Automotive News, Cadillac and Buick posted a seventh straight month of declining sales compared with year-earlier levels. Buick sales fell 16 percent while Cadillac sales dropped 25 percent.

http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dl...eet-sales-fall

Cadillac makes up 6.7%, give or take a tad, of GM's production. Does anyone think they would be stronger and perform better as a stand-alone company? I don't.
Old 05-06-2012, 05:11 AM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by tuxnharley
The word I have - from someone who works in the GM Tech Center - is that the C7 will not have the latest version of CUE that the XTS will get, since the Corvette design is "off cycle" from that of other GM products.
I honestly believe it would be a genuine mistake for GM to screw up on the C7's entertainment and navigation system this time around. I don't believe they will, but if they do they're going to let a LOT of people down considering every exec that has talked about the C7 has hinted at it being the best thing ever and that they simply have a hard time keeping their own mouths shut. Seems like a lot of hype for nothing.

The reality is that this isn't quite their last chance, but the Corvette needs something better. I'm going to buy a new Vette regardless, but the choice would be between me ordering a Vette with no navigation and the lamest stereo so that I can install my own system or me spending a lot more for a factory installed system that kicks *** and has navigation that is at least on par with the navigation on my Android phone.

GM can make more money selling me a loaded C7 or make less money selling me something that will certainly be more "base".

Unfortunately these days, GM doesn't include a lot of options outside "packages" which I honestly feel is a crappy business model. If I want heated seats, I have to buy navigation? If I don't want the super expensive radio I can't get a HUD?

They group a lot of stuff I'd want with stuff I don't want to pay for because I'm just going to replace it. Dumb, in my opinion. I'll end up buying the lesser expensive one and just buying the other stuff aftermarket. GM loses there.

The truth is that I'd rather GM just offers a really amazing infotainment system and I'll buy a fully loaded Vette.
Old 05-06-2012, 07:35 AM
Parker Corvette
Pro

The man on the turntable was not wearing plaid pants. He said he was from Detroit and seemed very knowledgable. He sounded very sure of himself in regard to Cadilliac becoming a seperate car company. Nothing would suprise me at GM.

I priced a GS convertable and found to get a power top, you had to pay something like $6,300 for the package that included it. I didn't want any of the other items in that package. That is crazy. Except for my 62 Vette and my MG's, every convertable I have owned came with a power top standard.
Old 05-06-2012, 10:10 AM
Kozzzz
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I attended the new car show this year and viewed the new Cadilliac XTS. The gentleman on the turntable showing the car said very clearly that Cadilliac soon will divorce itself from GM and be a stand along company.
Originally Posted by LS1LT1
I tend to agree, though I suppose it depends on if he was a high ranking executive or engineer type at Cadillac, or was he a salesman from a local Cadillac dealership (as is sometimes the case with car show staff/representatives).
The auto show people aren't even GM employees. They work for companies that are hired by GM. He/she would not not anything about any future GM business strategies.
Old 05-06-2012, 11:17 AM
m48xhp
Melting Slicks

Received 211 Likes on 80 Posts

seriously dude. you have no idea how every post you make, you appear less knowledgeable.

Car companies hire outside companies to staff their car shows across the country. These people are actors and models that get a brochure and get briefed on whatever car they are promoting that weekend. Some of them specialize as floor staff, some are the models in heels, some are turntable spokespeople. Bottom line is they are hired to sound like they know what they are talking about.

and if you sold your vette and hate them so much, why are you pricing a new GS vert?
Old 05-06-2012, 11:58 AM
Parker Corvette
Pro

I was commenting in support of SCM Crash. When shopping to replace my 2009 C6 coupe, I did price out a GS convertable. This was done prior to my trading the C6 for the Z4. And the pricing to include the rip off price for a power top was part of the reason I chose BMW with the retractable hardtop at no charge. I am sure I will noe hear from all of the know it alls that you don't need a power top on a Corvette. You don't need a radio either.
Old 05-06-2012, 12:05 PM
Parker Corvette
Pro

In regard to the man on the turntable. I do not know if he was maybe one of the few GM employees there or not, and neither do you. I know there were marketing people there as I talked to one off the turntable. I also talked with a gentleman who told me that he quit at GM after 27 years and did some work on the C5. Nobody quits after 27 years. He was not a happy man.

GM is in the process of rebuilding. Even before the current trouble, they got rid of Oldsmobile, Pontiac, and Saturn and Saab. I don't know what GM will do next and neither do you. I do know that BMW who got my business is not bankrupt and was the best selling premium automobile in the US last year.
Old 05-06-2012, 01:50 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally posted by 'CRABBYJ' (in reference to the BMW Z3.4) in another thread in case it was missed the first time:

Hi CoC6 It took no time at all to look in a popular Z4 forum to find the following:

"Noisy Hardtop - This started recently ... hardtop has become very noisy .. I noticed there is some space between the cloth panel and metal panel of the hardtop (rear). Please see the pic. Notice the space between the cloth panel and metal panel. Is this gap normal ? When I press the cloth panel it does make noise which is giving me lot of headaches."

"I wish I could be as nonchalant as all of you concerning the numerous rattles and creaks this car has. Maybe I'm OCD when it comes to the constant clicks, creaks, and knocking this car emenates, but it drives me absolutely nuts and to be honest cheapens the whole driving experience. Each BMW I've had has gotten progressively worse in this department, to which I blame the increasing amount of cheap hard plastic they use in combination with RFT's. It's sad that my girlfriends 8 year old Honda civic has a whisper quiet interior while my 6 month old Z4 sounds like rattle box."

"Noise related problems with my Z4:

1) Creaking armrest like the OP
2) creaking from the wood trim around the climate controls
3) rattling from the GPS
4) Constant ticking from the top when up
5) Creaking from the cheap plastic shell they use to encase the seat controls. I've had this problem on every BMW I've had.

Repeated visits to the dealer haven't resolved anything and have only served to introduce even more rattles."

"Thunk Noise - I know I read someone posting about a "thunk" noise coming from the rear of the car when riding over bumps. It doesn't happen all the time, only on certain road imperfections. Mine sounds like it comes from the right rear tire/suspension area. I checked the trunk for any loose items (e.g., tow hook, tools) but I still get the noise. Perhaps it is the infamous '09 springs which need replacing?"

CoC6 just a few of the many issues with that "perfect" car you moved up to.
Old 05-06-2012, 02:15 PM
jackhall99
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
Originally posted by 'CRABBYJ' (in reference to the BMW Z3.4) in another thread in case it was missed the first time:

Hi CoC6 It took no time at all to look in a popular Z4 forum to find the following:

"Noisy Hardtop - This started recently ... hardtop has become very noisy .. I noticed there is some space between the cloth panel and metal panel of the hardtop (rear). Please see the pic. Notice the space between the cloth panel and metal panel. Is this gap normal ? When I press the cloth panel it does make noise which is giving me lot of headaches."

"I wish I could be as nonchalant as all of you concerning the numerous rattles and creaks this car has. Maybe I'm OCD when it comes to the constant clicks, creaks, and knocking this car emenates, but it drives me absolutely nuts and to be honest cheapens the whole driving experience. Each BMW I've had has gotten progressively worse in this department, to which I blame the increasing amount of cheap hard plastic they use in combination with RFT's. It's sad that my girlfriends 8 year old Honda civic has a whisper quiet interior while my 6 month old Z4 sounds like rattle box."

"Noise related problems with my Z4:

1) Creaking armrest like the OP
2) creaking from the wood trim around the climate controls
3) rattling from the GPS
4) Constant ticking from the top when up
5) Creaking from the cheap plastic shell they use to encase the seat controls. I've had this problem on every BMW I've had.

Repeated visits to the dealer haven't resolved anything and have only served to introduce even more rattles."

"Thunk Noise - I know I read someone posting about a "thunk" noise coming from the rear of the car when riding over bumps. It doesn't happen all the time, only on certain road imperfections. Mine sounds like it comes from the right rear tire/suspension area. I checked the trunk for any loose items (e.g., tow hook, tools) but I still get the noise. Perhaps it is the infamous '09 springs which need replacing?"

CoC6 just a few of the many issues with that "perfect" car you moved up to.

I missed this in a prior post, but CrabbyJ and you just made my day!

Get notified of new replies

To C7 electronics

Old 05-06-2012, 03:00 PM
thebrander
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by SanDiegoBert
Cadilliac?
Sounds fancy.
Old 05-06-2012, 06:03 PM
Parker Corvette
Pro

Just like LS1LT! said when I discussed the creeking top in my C6. My car is solid as a rock. no creeking. Same with my Z4. I have no noise at all in my new premium automobile.
Old 05-06-2012, 06:15 PM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by SCM_Crash
Unfortunately these days, GM doesn't include a lot of options outside "packages" which I honestly feel is a crappy business model.
Crappy for us, not crappy for GM.

That's the way all the high-volume cars get built and sold these days. It's the downside of the great Chevrolet performance value. It keeps the parts supply and assembly lines manageable. It also no doubt increases Corvette's average transaction prices, because...

If I want heated seats, I have to buy navigation? If I don't want the super expensive radio I can't get a HUD? ...I'll end up buying the lesser expensive one and just buying the other stuff aftermarket. GM loses there.
And for every one of you there are ten guys who will just get the more expensive one. And probably another ten guys who are buying a car off the lot that was optioned up by the dealer.

It's frustrating, but it's not hard to understand why GM does it. They have plenty of financial incentive to do it this way, and damn little incentive financial or otherwise to do it any other way.

Now, if the car started at $80K and they could charge twice as much for each individual option, a la Porsche, then you might be able to get exactly the car you want with nothing extraneous. But as much as we might complain about having to buy a whole bunch of nonsense to get HUD or navigation, most of us don't want the Porsche model.

The truth is that I'd rather GM just offers a really amazing infotainment system and I'll buy a fully loaded Vette.
Fingers crossed. Does anybody know if CUE has hit actual cars in actual dealerships yet?

.Jinx

Quick Reply: C7 electronics