GM NOT advertising the C7 at next year's SuperBowl

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 11:13 AM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by CRABBYJ
Here is my take:

If I was GM, and if I wanted to spend that kind of money on a Super Bowl commercial, I would run a composite ad with all the performance vehicles in GM's arsenal along with the usual family choices. Have them all painted the same color (arrest me red) and doing aggressive track moves. Of course the C7 would dominate the exposure being in every shot along with each of the the others. Remember the Cobalt/C6 "Bump" Commercial?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBs5FuCN8nE
Not a bad idea at all! I like it.
Old 05-21-2012, 12:24 PM
SanDiegoBert
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Folks like Warren Buffett who manage to look far into the future see declining returns on high-dollar TV ads. The new DVR's have ad-skip features, and are becoming quite popular. In general, I think the effectiveness of TV advertising is on the decline for many other reasons, as well. Internet advertising is among them.
Old 05-21-2012, 02:59 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Originally Posted by SanDiegoBert
Folks like Warren Buffett who manage to look far into the future see declining returns on high-dollar TV ads. The new DVR's have ad-skip features, and are becoming quite popular. In general, I think the effectiveness of TV advertising is on the decline for many other reasons, as well. Internet advertising is among them.
I'd say you are correct in general but the Super Bowl is a different animal. It is still extremely expensive time but making a huge splash is pretty important and I can't think of any one event that can bring in that kind of interested audience in those numbers.
Old 05-21-2012, 04:00 PM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

I suspect at SuperBowl viewing parties, the DVR is used to rewatch commercials almost as much as it is used to skip them.

The first thing to fall to the DVR's FF sword in the SuperBowl broadcast? The "analysis."
Old 05-21-2012, 04:23 PM
SanDiegoBert
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Jinx
I suspect at SuperBowl viewing parties, the DVR is used to rewatch commercials almost as much as it is used to skip them.

The first thing to fall to the DVR's FF sword in the SuperBowl broadcast? The "analysis."
True, about the SB commercials. It's the only reason a lot of women endure the game itself. They like the commercials!

I don't mind hearing former pro players talk about the game . . .
Old 05-21-2012, 06:53 PM
jb_va2001
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
DC Area Events Coordinator

http://youtu.be/cpi2IAec9Ho

We watched this one twice.
Old 05-21-2012, 06:59 PM
prinzSD455
Safety Car

Received 110 Likes on 69 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Unmodified

Originally Posted by 2K3Z06
Thats a lotta money for one day worth of commercial. You could buy 6 months worth of advertising on ESPN, for that kind of dough.
Not to mention the vast amount of the audience probably forgets about the car commercials soon after the SuperBowl, even more so if they are not clever. A sustained advertisement campaign would be better than getting your rocks off in one shot at 3.5 million dollars. That is part of GMs problem, they never have a sustained commercial campaign for any of their cars.
Old 05-22-2012, 08:25 AM
range96
Le Mans Master

Received 1,978 Likes on 1,216 Posts

Originally Posted by jb_va2001
http://youtu.be/cpi2IAec9Ho

We watched this one twice.
I second that.
Old 05-22-2012, 09:07 AM
jb_va2001
Melting Slicks

Would a Corvette Super Bowl ad actually increase sales? How much?

Would it improve the buyer profile? (Into the wealthy 40YOs Chevy desires. I stopped just saying "younger buyers" since some here turn that into 20YOs without any $$$. )

Would it just make Corvette owners feel good? (They won't increase sales much, but usually the real reason owners ask for ads on TV.)

Would it steal buyers from [insert despised competitor]? (Does Porsche advertise during the Super Bowl?)

What kind of ad would actually accomplish the goal? And do you have the material to produce that ad at C7 intro? (Like races won if that's part of the C7 image being sold.)

It's not a simple decision when you are the guy writing the check and selling it to the boss.

Cheers,
JB
Old 05-22-2012, 09:48 AM
BlueOx
Race Director

Lots of potential & possibilities but since it ain't gonna happen this next season...
Would a Corvette Super Bowl ad actually increase sales? How much?
IMPOSSIBLE TO SAY...ALL YOU CAN DO IS TARGET AND HOPE.

Would it improve the buyer profile? (Into the wealthy 40YOs Chevy desires. I stopped just saying "younger buyers" since some here turn that into 20YOs without any $$$. )
IMPOSSIBLE TO SAY...ALL YOU CAN DO IS TARGET AND HOPE.

Would it just make Corvette owners feel good? (They won't increase sales much, but usually the real reason owners ask for ads on TV.)
I WOULD CERTAINLY HOPE SO.

Would it steal buyers from [insert despised competitor]? (Does Porsche advertise during the Super Bowl?)
I WOULD CERTAINLY HOPE SO. I DON'T KNOW ABOUT PORSCHE @ SB.

What kind of ad would actually accomplish the goal? And do you have the material to produce that ad at C7 intro? (Like races won if that's part of the C7 image being sold.)
LOTS OF LATITUDE THERE DEPENDING ON THE SPECIFIC GOALS. A SINGLE COMMERCIAL CAN DO A LOT TO GAIN ATTENTION/IMPRESS BUT IT TAKES A LOT OF ASSOCIATED CAMPAIGN ELEMENTS TO DRIVE IT ALL HOME.

It's not a simple decision when you are the guy writing the check and selling it to the boss.
TRUE THAT.

Cheers,
JB
Old 05-23-2012, 08:19 AM
Czarvette
Safety Car

Received 154 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by BuckyThreadkiller
@ $50K a car GM has to sell 75 Corvettes to cover the cost of that one spot.
It's worse than that. Advertising costs are a fraction of the $50 K car sales price... perhaps $2.5 K per car (5%). GM would have to sell 1500 extra cars to recover the cost. In other words, the ad would have to boost annual sales by 10%. Hard to see that happening on the basis of a single 30-second spot. It'd be in Apple's "1984" ad territory as a legendary ad.

It's a great general awareness avenue but how many Americans aren't aware of the Corvette?

Spend the money targeting the right audience. Cross shopping Porsche guys, aspirational Acura and BMW drivers. For 3.6 million you can stage head to head driving events in the top 50 markets and get other brand drivers in the car and change some minds at the seat of the pants.
Old 05-23-2012, 12:39 PM
prinzSD455
Safety Car

In the long run this may prove to be the correct decision on the superbowl adds. Just like the flak GM received by pulling out of paid advertising on Facebook, right before the stock prices went down. I don't think anyone pays attentions to the advertising on FaceBook. Hell, I don't recall ever seeing an add in FaceBook, that's how useless paid ad space is on FaceBook.
Old 05-23-2012, 01:04 PM
jb_va2001
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by prinzSD455
In the long run this may prove to be the correct decision on the superbowl adds. Just like the flak GM received by pulling out of paid advertising on Facebook, right before the stock prices went down. I don't think anyone pays attentions to the advertising on FaceBook. Hell, I don't recall ever seeing an add in FaceBook, that's how useless paid ad space is on FaceBook.
I use ad blocking software so I don't see them on any websites.
Old 05-23-2012, 04:01 PM
SanDiegoBert
Melting Slicks

Facebook stock is a bit squirrelly right now . . . Those ads are its source of revenue.
Old 05-23-2012, 04:35 PM
jb_va2001
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by SanDiegoBert
Facebook stock is a bit squirrelly right now . . . Those ads are its source of revenue.
If the stock had shot up after the IPO, it would mean FB left money on the table. FB got all they could, now investors will need to wait and earn their profit.
Old 05-23-2012, 05:17 PM
prinzSD455
Safety Car

I use ad blocking software so I don't see them on any websites.
If you can, can you tell me what you are using?
Old 05-23-2012, 10:00 PM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

i think it's a smart move personally. the corvette is a car that i really doubt picks up substantially with ad dollars. targeting the enthusiast market is much cheaper, can be done online and hits target buyers. having ads on a major nissian Z forum would actually be smart, cheap and have the ability to lure buyers looking for something else. that's just one low cost example.

if a corvette sells for 50k and costs gm 40k to create...no idea what their actual margin is but this is just a guess. at 10k a pop profit they would have to sell 380 corvettes for one super bowl commercial, run the ad 3 times during the game and you have just spent the profit of 1140 corvettes

Get notified of new replies

To GM NOT advertising the C7 at next year's SuperBowl

Old 05-23-2012, 10:35 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Originally Posted by racebum
i think it's a smart move personally. the corvette is a car that i really doubt picks up substantially with ad dollars. targeting the enthusiast market is much cheaper, can be done online and hits target buyers. having ads on a major nissian Z forum would actually be smart, cheap and have the ability to lure buyers looking for something else. that's just one low cost example.

if a corvette sells for 50k and costs gm 40k to create...no idea what their actual margin is but this is just a guess. at 10k a pop profit they would have to sell 380 corvettes for one super bowl commercial, run the ad 3 times during the game and you have just spent the profit of 1140 corvettes
Smart move? Not really because it is not only about the Corvette. Being a halo car for GM broadens the effectiveness of the ads and SHOULD spread the cost across platforms. Targeting the enthusiast market is just one limited target. Lots of folks who buy cars like the Camaro, Caddy, and Corvette are not in the true "enthusiast" audience. The vast majority of ads, videos, print, etc. can be far cheaper and more 'viral' but they can always play off a big hit ad like the SB commercial. The SB ad should be more inspirational and set the stage for the following pieces, which should be more informational.

BTW, nobody runs the same ad 3 times during the SB. In fact the SB is the home of the single big hit that gets replayed time and time again over for weeks or even months after the game.
Old 05-24-2012, 09:57 PM
lockmart
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BuckyThreadkiller
@ $50K a car GM has to sell 75 Corvettes to cover the cost of that one spot.

It's a great general awareness avenue but how many Americans aren't aware of the Corvette?

Spend the money targeting the right audience. Cross shopping Porsche guys, aspirational Acura and BMW drivers. For 3.6 million you can stage head to head driving events in the top 50 markets and get other brand drivers in the car and change some minds at the seat of the pants.

Yes but they have a cost of building them already so it's not 75 cars to pay for the ad. They don't break even until around 18,000 cars which they haven't been selling. I agree though target the right audience.
Old 05-31-2012, 03:58 PM
jackhall99
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

... the flak GM received by pulling out of paid advertising on Facebook, ..... I don't think anyone pays attentions to the advertising on FaceBook. .....
Good observation.

But GM was apparently correct. There was an article in today's Chicago Tribune at how ineffective the FB ads are. Only 1 in 1,000 Web readers click on the average ad. On Facebook, it is closer to 1 in 2,000. Even ads sent by unsolicited postal mail generate a response rate that is many times higher.

Quick Reply: GM NOT advertising the C7 at next year's SuperBowl