Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Different take on the C7

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2012, 08:38 AM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I owned an 03 Audi TT convertible and loved it for what it was and then looked into a Solstice/Skye and was appalled at how bad that car was in almost every sense. Cheaply made, slow, crappy convertible top design, NO trunk space...just awful. Decent idea but horrible design and execution. I think there is a market for a smaller Corvette-branded and very well-built Miata beater, but it is very small. Talk about an amazing opportunity for a turbo V6 or small-block V8 track car! Maybe the new Cobra...oh wait, that was never really a production car...forget that.
Old 06-22-2012, 12:47 PM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Jinx
They did. You misspelled Camaro.

And dealers always load up the hot new thing with as much profit as possible and put a ridiculous markup on it. That's just n00b bait. Or it's a way of getting as much promotional value as possible out of the one and only car they're going to get for a while (it stays on the floor so people come in to see it; maybe some nutter buys it, maybe some people order a car).
That's my point. GM could have done well in sales if they'd done with the Kappas what they did with the Camaros. Limiting the run on the Sky and Solstice was a stupid decision. Hardly any of them were stock from the dealership unless they were ordered by the customer. And some dealerships refused to order one for the customer stating they had to buy one from the lot. Apparently GM only let dealerships order X amount of Kappas based on their volume. So if a dealership ordered one and was only allowed to order one, that was it.

Originally Posted by Rock36
I'm sure nobody really cares, but the Solstice did dominate their categories at the SCCA Club Racing National Championships from 2006-2009 ha ha.
Don't get me wrong, the Solstice GXP actually handled quite nicely other than the crazy over steer you'd get while accelerating out of a turn. Other than the harsh ride (which didn't seem harsh until the dealership replaced the shocks that blew out almost immediately), the car really drove well and handled well.

Originally Posted by BlueOx
I owned an 03 Audi TT convertible and loved it for what it was and then looked into a Solstice/Skye and was appalled at how bad that car was in almost every sense. Cheaply made, slow, crappy convertible top design, NO trunk space...just awful. Decent idea but horrible design and execution. I think there is a market for a smaller Corvette-branded and very well-built Miata beater, but it is very small. Talk about an amazing opportunity for a turbo V6 or small-block V8 track car! Maybe the new Cobra...oh wait, that was never really a production car...forget that.
Everything on the interior was awful other than the seats. (I liked the seats until the bolsters got in my way after a year of hitting the gym.)

Some of the plastic interior parts (like the center console area) had hard sharp plastic seams. The gauges were a complete cluster-f*** when the top was down, which would be nearly 100% of the time since it was a ROADSTER. When the top is down and the sun is beating from above, the gauges are completely blacked out. It's like GM didn't even test the car during the day... at all.

The sun visors were complete jokes. Plastic sun visors that if you pulled back on them to, you know, use them you could break them easily. They only moved 90*. So you couldn't use them to block the sun above the top of the windshield. You couldn't use them to block the sun going THROUGH the windshield, so you might as well just never ever touch them.

And I totally agree the top was simply awful.

All in all, that car wasn't worth the $25+K my dad spent on it, which is why he sold it 3 years later (after the warranty was up) and bought a Corvette. Sadly, the car had low miles. My dad only drove it a couple miles a day (to work and back) and it ALWAYS was in the shop. The car had to go in for warranty work every other month if not every month. It was really sad.

Originally Posted by CRABBYJ
Back in 1967 when I owned an '05 Corvette vert, I test drove a new Sunbeam Tiger and was not impressed. Fast but not even close to being as good of an overall sports car as the Corvette.

Fast forward to 2008 when I stopped into a Saturn Dealer with my '05 C6 Coupe to test drive a Sky. It was déjà vu, all over again. The Sky XLP was a nice little ride but no where near as satisfying as my Corvette. Its build was good enough but offered less of a driving experience overall.

Bottom line, I would pick a Corvette, even a used one at the same price over any Solstice or Sky GM had offered. The Corvette is an awesome value for its size, stance and power against anything near its price range foreign or domestic.

Fiero, Solstice, Sky! Strike 1,2,3. GM will not soon go back to that well again.

P.S. I also looked at an '68? Toyota 2000GT about the same time that a Toyota Dealer wanted to sell to me, but the $6,500+ price was too much. I didn't drive it but it was good looking for its time. Only about 60 made it into the US. Today they can go for as much as $350,000!!!!!
Um.... what?! Is this trolling? LOL
Old 06-23-2012, 03:17 AM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

I owned an 03 Audi TT convertible and loved it for what it was and then looked into a Solstice/Skye and was appalled at how bad that car was in almost every sense. Cheaply made, slow, crappy convertible top design, NO trunk space...just awful. Decent idea but horrible design and execution.
Did the Audi TT convertible sell new for $18,253? (Constant dollar value relative to the $20,000 Solstice three years later.)

Limiting the run on the Sky and Solstice was a stupid decision.
Did they really limit production? That is, have production capacity and have orders but refuse to build cars? This seems out of character for GM. I really don't see how they could have sold a two-seat inexpensive roadster in high volume. There are only so many auto enthusiasts and girls who want cute little convertibles that aren't Miatas.

.Jinx
Old 06-23-2012, 05:06 AM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Did they really limit production? That is, have production capacity and have orders but refuse to build cars? This seems out of character for GM. I really don't see how they could have sold a two-seat inexpensive roadster in high volume. There are only so many auto enthusiasts and girls who want cute little convertibles that aren't Miatas.

.Jinx
Yes. They definitely did. They limited the run to (if I recall correctly) 1000 cars the first year and 2000 cars the second (including the GXP). GM flat out limited the Solstice.

By the way, there was a waiting list for the hard top Solstice. And with the hand full of cars that were actually delivered, the rest of the people on the list were SOL. Of course, that was when the Pontiac was taken off the market.

In the mean time, from 2006 to the end of Pontiac, they hardly made any Solstices and Skys in comparison to even Corvettes. They limited the Kappas so much that some dealers marked up the turbo models to Corvette priced territory. And that wasn't just the first year of the turbo models (2007).
Old 06-23-2012, 09:56 AM
BlueOx
Race Director

Did the Audi TT convertible sell new for $18,253? (Constant dollar value relative to the $20,000 Solstice three years later.)
Not a relevant comment. The Solstice sucked by almost any measure including design. The TT was just my example of a similar car well done.
Old 06-23-2012, 12:03 PM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Quite relevant. It's easy for a car to be well done when it costs more and sells for more. A lot more.

Why don't you just compare it to the Miata like everybody else did?
Old 06-23-2012, 12:13 PM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by SCM_Crash
Yes. They definitely did. They limited the run to (if I recall correctly) 1000 cars the first year and 2000 cars the second (including the GXP). GM flat out limited the Solstice.
Maybe they did this because the car wasn't actually profitable, but pricing it profitably would have made the program a PR disaster. After all, GM promised it would be $20,000. You know the press would have eviscerated GM if they didn't sell it for that.

As I recall they chose to start production sooner with simpler tooling and a lot more hand-welding.

By the way, there was a waiting list for the hard top Solstice. And with the hand full of cars that were actually delivered, the rest of the people on the list were SOL. Of course, that was when the Pontiac was taken off the market.
That was when Pontiac was taken off the market.

Extra ironic when you consider that the initial design brief that created the Solstice called for a coupe, not a convertible.

.Jinx
Old 06-23-2012, 12:32 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Quite relevant. It's easy for a car to be well done when it costs more and sells for more. A lot more.

Why don't you just compare it to the Miata like everybody else did?
No, because the design of the Solstice/Skye was the beginning of the end. They even had two separate models (vs the TT) with which to spread the design and development costs.

I didn't compare it to the Miata because I've never had or really looked seriously at a Miata. From what exposure I've had to them (my sister owned one), they are much better cars than the Solstice ever was.
Old 06-23-2012, 04:58 PM
SanDiegoBert
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

No, because the design of the Solstice/Skye was the beginning of the end. They even had two separate models (vs the TT) with which to spread the design and development costs.

I didn't compare it to the Miata because I've never had or really looked seriously at a Miata. From what exposure I've had to them (my sister owned one), they are much better cars than the Solstice ever was.

As do many, many others.
Old 06-23-2012, 05:35 PM
jackhall99
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

.... From what exposure I've had to them (my sister owned one), they are much better cars than the Solstice ever was.
Today's Miata is 1000 times better than the first gen Miatas. To be fair, you should drive an early Miata, then tell us how the first gen car compared to the Solstice.
Old 06-23-2012, 06:31 PM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Maybe they did this because the car wasn't actually profitable, but pricing it profitably would have made the program a PR disaster. After all, GM promised it would be $20,000. You know the press would have eviscerated GM if they didn't sell it for that.

As I recall they chose to start production sooner with simpler tooling and a lot more hand-welding.

That was when Pontiac was taken off the market.

Extra ironic when you consider that the initial design brief that created the Solstice called for a coupe, not a convertible.

.Jinx
That, to me, isn't a good excuse. They could have waited some time, tooled up better, and produced a car in large numbers to sell at a reasonable price. If they invested a lot of money into a car they new they couldn't make a profit on, that's their fault. But if it's true, they could have simply turned that around by taking some extra time.
Old 06-23-2012, 10:23 PM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

That, to me, isn't a good excuse.
Read Bob Lutz' book and see how that affects your opinion of what they could have done. They built a car that was long on passion and affordable, but we kick them in the nuts because it wasn't great enough. It seems odd that we're complaining both that they didn't build more to satisfy demand and it wasn't very good...

.Jinx
Old 06-23-2012, 10:31 PM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

I know it seems like a contradiction, but my original point I made was that if they built them in mass quantity, they could have sold them for the same price with better quality.

Honestly, if it wasn't for the quality of the Solstice, I wouldn't complain about it. But to me it seems that they cut so many corners on it that they hindered it.

I'm not reading Lutz's book. I was annoyed with him before, I don't want to be annoyed with him again.
Old 06-24-2012, 09:57 AM
Rock36
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

All this talk about the Solstice got me interested in at least reading up on it a little.

It seems that it was actually a hit at first They only planned on selling 1000 cars the first year, and then ended up selling far more than that. They produced over 20K for the first model year.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2...ter-pt-cruiser
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pontiac_Solstice

But the news article also mentions price gouging and GMs targets of selling 20K Pontiacs/year and 10K Saturns/year. It doesn't seem like they were limiting supply all that much, because by 2007 Pontiac was going to fall short of their 20K target for the 2008 MY.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/pontiac-...in-demand.html

After that we know the economy went south, GM bankrupt, and Pontiac and Saturn were finished.

Anyway I've never sat in or driven a Kappa so I can't comment on the quality. Just seems like it was a bigger hit than I originally thought after reading some of the comments here.

Last edited by Rock36; 06-24-2012 at 11:06 AM.
Old 06-24-2012, 01:49 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by jackhall99
Today's Miata is 1000 times better than the first gen Miatas. To be fair, you should drive an early Miata, then tell us how the first gen car compared to the Solstice.
I've spent plenty of time in both as well, I don't find the Solstice (Sky) to be all that bad at all, quite a solid and tight handling little car actually...as is the Miata.
Old 06-24-2012, 02:12 PM
SanDiegoBert
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
I've spent plenty of time in both as well, I don't find the Solstice (Sky) to be all that bad at all, quite a solid and tight handling little car actually...as is the Miata.
I've driven the Kappas, and found them to be lacking in power and normal sports car storage space.

Did the Miata have a gas tank taking up 95% of the trunk space as did the Kappas? What a joke. You could take a passenger or a picnic basket, but NOT BOTH!
Old 06-24-2012, 02:56 PM
jackhall99
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by SanDiegoBert
I've driven the Kappas, and found them to be lacking in power and normal sports car storage space.

Did the Miata have a gas tank taking up 95% of the trunk space as did the Kappas? What a joke. You could take a passenger or a picnic basket, but NOT BOTH!
Once again, compare first gen to first gen cars.

The first gen Miata had 3.6 cu. ft. of cargo space.

The first gen Solstice had 5.4 cu. ft. of cargo space.

Get notified of new replies

To Different take on the C7

Old 06-24-2012, 03:44 PM
CRABBYJ
Safety Car

Received 1,293 Likes on 722 Posts
Unmodified C8 of the Year 2021 Finalist
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

Um.... what?! Is this trolling? LOL
I'm no troll, but I'm willing to listen to your reasoning for this accusation.
Old 06-24-2012, 06:11 PM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

I'm no troll, but I'm willing to listen to your reasoning for this accusation.
Sorry, I wasn't trying to accuse you of trolling. Read what you posted. A lot of it just doesn't make any sense. I'll highlight was didn't make sense to me:

Back in 1967 when I owned an '05 Corvette vert, I test drove a new Sunbeam Tiger and was not impressed. Fast but not even close to being as good of an overall sports car as the Corvette.

Fast forward to 2008 when I stopped into a Saturn Dealer with my '05 C6 Coupe to test drive a Sky. It was déjà vu, all over again. The Sky XLP was a nice little ride but no where near as satisfying as my Corvette. Its build was good enough but offered less of a driving experience overall.

Bottom line, I would pick a Corvette, even a used one at the same price over any Solstice or Sky GM had offered. The Corvette is an awesome value for its size, stance and power against anything near its price range foreign or domestic.

Fiero, Solstice, Sky! Strike 1,2,3. GM will not soon go back to that well again.

P.S. I also looked at an '68? Toyota 2000GT about the same time that a Toyota Dealer wanted to sell to me, but the $6,500+ price was too much. I didn't drive it but it was good looking for its time. Only about 60 made it into the US. Today they can go for as much as $350,000!!!!!
Now forgive me, up until I did a google search, I'd never heard of a Toyota 2000GT. I thought you meant Mitsubishi 3000GT. But I did look it up and that car exists.

But you can't have an 05 Corvette in 1967 and I don't know what a Sky XLP is but I figure you mean Sky Redline.

I have no idea what you mean by Feiro, Sky, Solstice to be struck. GM will likely come out with another little sports car at some point. They're always looking for that small limited niche car they can sell to get people interested in GM cars. (like they did with all 3 of those cars)

Maybe it was late at night or something, but I just couldn't make sense of your post.
Old 06-24-2012, 07:22 PM
jackhall99
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Back in 1967 when I owned an '65 Corvette vert, I test drove a new Sunbeam Tiger and was not impressed. Fast but not even close to being as good of an overall sports car as the Corvette.

Fast forward to 2008 when I stopped into a Saturn Dealer with my '05 C6 Coupe to test drive a Sky. It was déjà vu, all over again. The Sky XLP was a nice little ride but no where near as satisfying as my Corvette. Its build was good enough but offered less of a driving experience overall. .... Fiero, Solstice, Sky! Strike 1,2,3. GM will not soon go back to that well again.

... I also looked at an '68? Toyota 2000GT about the same time ....
Crabby, comparing the Tiger, Solstice or 2000GT to the Corvette presents the typical buyer's choice process. They are completely different cars compared to each other.

Mentioning the present value of any car today to original price is just an interesting tidbit of data. Had any of us known!

The Fiero, especially by the time in evolved into the '87 and '88 Formula, was an awesome little sports car.

Some bash the Solstice/Sky but as you and others have stated (and I agree with you), that platform was a whale of a start to a good line of entry level sports cars.

I still think the Fiero and Solstice would be fantastic cars to develop to bring younger buyers into the GM family of sports cars. It won't happen, but .....

Quick Reply: Different take on the C7