Sponsored by:

Different take on the C7

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 04:03 PM
Guibo
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jackhall99
I have never read that GM ever initially planned for 20,000 or more per year. Pontiac had initially planned a production run of 7,000 for the first year, but at introduction of the model, those were already pre-sold. At that point, it was obvious the estimate had to be increased.
Since none of us were flies on the wall, we really only 'know' what we read.
That just means you haven't read what I've read. I don't think the Automobile writer would have pulled those figures out of thin air. I'm not talking about just the first year, which may not even have been a full year. I'm talking about full annual sales. This article suggests similar figures:
"The Solstice is the first car built on GM's Kappa small-car, rear-wheel-drive platform and has a rigid, mostly hand-welded chassis because Pontiac will annually build only 20,000-30,000 Solstices"
Link

As early as 2002, estimates of 25k+ units had cropped up in interviews with Bob Lutz:
http://www.caranddriver.com/news/cal...origins-page-2

In any case, I think we both agree it looks like the claim of artificial constraints isn't panning out.
Old 06-25-2012, 04:37 PM
jackhall99
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by ockie
I wanted to buy one as a daily driver... I couldn't fit even if I tried to fold my legs over my head... the car was probably the smallest interior car that I have ever sat in (from memory).

I'm taller than you, but in comparison to the Vette which has globs room for us giants ... the solstice/sky was terrible in interior room.
Let's face it; the C7 will NOT be a spin-off of the Solstice.

What I am finding so amusing are the anti-Solstice comments that are so blatantly incorrect. Take the quoted post.

The Solstice had 38.5" of headroom and 42.7" of legroom. Compare that to the Corvette's lower headroom of 37.7" and marginally longer 43.1" of legroom. ockie, do you really want to stand by your comments the you couldn't fit even if I tried to fold my legs over my head, or that the Corvette has gobs of room when compared to the smallest interior car?

Hip room and shoulder room were smaller, but those dimensions won't keep you from folding into the car.
Old 06-25-2012, 04:40 PM
jackhall99
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by Guibo
That just means you haven't read what I've read. ..... In any case, I think we both agree it looks like the claim of artificial constraints isn't panning out.

Old 06-26-2012, 02:58 AM
macklinvinger
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks to share this information.

Quick Reply: Different take on the C7