New c4 info??

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2012, 11:30 AM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
They just have to relocate the two gas tanks from behind the front seats and place them in the doors. That will make room for the rear seats
GM does have "side saddle gas tank" experience (albeit bad) from the earlier generation pickup truck design
Old 08-19-2012, 11:31 AM
Rickman
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Re: Corvette Insider Comments

Yeah, one can always pooh-pooh these comments, as they are always from anonymous sources. NOBODY in his/her right mind from GM would ever consent to being quoted on their C7 comments, as they would be instantly canned. But my .02 is that I will go out on a limb and say that these comments sound accurate:

1. I’ve said all along that, in order for the C7 to be successful (i.e. giving C6 owners reasons to move up), that the base C7 performance must be equal to or better than that of the C6 Z06. Remember, this was accomplished last time, where the base C6 performance was equal to the performance of the C5 Z06.

2. I love the 2+2 option, giving the C7 wider appeal for guys with small children. It has worked for Porsche, so why not?

3. Recaro Seats. Enough said.

4. $60-70k price: Ouch, but technology and performance cost big $$, and one must pay to play. If you have any intention of owning a new Corvette in the low $40’s, you’d better pick up a 2013 in the next six months! With the emphasis on performance (base C7 with Recaro, 500 + HP), one can see how the Corvette, oops, Stingray will appeal more to younger professionals vs. the 50 and over crowd. (Remember, this is what Chevrolet promised!)

5. Elimination of Grand Sport & Z06: This makes sense from a production standpoint to reduce cost. The formula looks to be 1 Killer Base C7 + I Killer ZR1 = C7 Success. Chevrolet has shown they can compete with Porsche, Viper, GTR. It looks like the only reason to go Ferrari or Lambo may be exclusivity!

Rickman
Old 08-19-2012, 12:33 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Racer X
And the 911 did this due to tax or insurance reasons IIRC. That's why the fact that full size adults can fit back there for a trip of any length, is not a problem for them.

The US did have those laws, so they didn't include them.
Yes, I read the same thing many years ago. Let's not forget that the 911 is a much different configuration and is effectively a "cab forward" design. The Corvette is not. Rear seats in a Corvette would have to sit directly over the rear differential unless there is a major platform redesign, which I will bet lots of money there is not.
Old 08-19-2012, 12:33 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by NSC5
GM does have "side saddle gas tank" experience (albeit bad) from the earlier generation pickup truck design
Now don't be looking at just the bad side. Think of those gas tanks in the doors as functioning the same as the water barrels at a race track that use the liquid spraying out of the barrels, when a car hits them, as absorbing the energy of the car crashing into them, vs a hitting a solid concrete wall. Think of those gas tanks in the doors as a safety feature.
Old 08-19-2012, 12:45 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Rickman
Yeah, one can always pooh-pooh these comments, as they are always from anonymous sources. NOBODY in his/her right mind from GM would ever consent to being quoted on their C7 comments, as they would be instantly canned. But my .02 is that I will go out on a limb and say that these comments sound accurate:

1. I’ve said all along that, in order for the C7 to be successful (i.e. giving C6 owners reasons to move up), that the base C7 performance must be equal to or better than that of the C6 Z06. Remember, this was accomplished last time, where the base C6 performance was equal to the performance of the C5 Z06.

2. I love the 2+2 option, giving the C7 wider appeal for guys with small children. It has worked for Porsche, so why not?

4. $60-70k price: Ouch, but technology and performance cost big $$, and one must pay to play. If you have any intention of owning a new Corvette in the low $40’s, you’d better pick up a 2013 in the next six months! With the emphasis on performance (base C7 with Recaro, 500 + HP), one can see how the Corvette, oops, Stingray will appeal more to younger professionals vs. the 50 and over crowd. (Remember, this is what Chevrolet promised!)

5. Elimination of Grand Sport & Z06: This makes sense from a production standpoint to reduce cost. The formula looks to be 1 Killer Base C7 + I Killer ZR1 = C7 Success. Chevrolet has shown they can compete with Porsche, Viper, GTR. It looks like the only reason to go Ferrari or Lambo may be exclusivity!

Rickman
The C5 was very successful and the base 345 HP of the 97 C5 was less then the horsepower(405) of the C4 ZR-1.

This goes back to the C1 where the base 250HP of the 1963 C2 was less then the 360 Hp of the outgoing 1962 Fuelie. Same for the C2 vs the C3. The base 300 HP of the new 1968 C3 was less then the 435 HP of the outgoing 1967 427.

Not everyone is interested in having mega-horsepower(or paying for it), so you offer the base car with a lower (and cheaper) horsepower engine, and then offer a higher horsepower option for those who desire higher horsepower and are willing to pay for it.

You don't burden the base car with the higher costs of having the mega horsepower engine. If you do, you will price a very large segment of the customer base right out of the car.
Old 08-19-2012, 01:01 PM
Paulchristian
Melting Slicks

Received 174 Likes on 121 Posts

The C5 was very successful and the base 345 HP of the 97 C5 was less then the horsepower(405) of the C4 ZR-1.

This goes back to the C1 where the base 250HP of the 1963 C2 was less then the 360 Hp of the outgoing 1962 Fuelie. Same for the C2 vs the C3. The base 300 HP of the new 1968 C3 was less then the 435 HP of the outgoing 1967 427.

Not everyone is interested in having mega-horsepower(or paying for it), so you offer the base car with a lower (and cheaper) horsepower engine, and then offer a higher horsepower option for those who desire higher horsepower and are willing to pay for it.

You don't burden the base car with the higher costs of having the mega horsepower engine. If you do, you will price a very large segment of the customer base right out of the car.
Consider the base price of a Nissan GT-R nowadays...about $90k. With all the talked about tech and quality improvements, you have to expect a price increase for the C7. There is no way around this unless GM is willing to take a back seat to the competition. I don't think that will happen. With the base GT-R out there as a price comp, I think GM can justify a price increase for the C7.

Personally, I believe the corvette team targeted the GT-R when setting a goal for hp output and tech features of the base C7. Current 2013 GTR makes 545hp. It will be a huge dissapointment, at least for me, if the C7 does not at least match the C6 ZO6 in hp output.

Last edited by Paulchristian; 08-19-2012 at 01:11 PM.
Old 08-19-2012, 01:46 PM
Jp23rockstar
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rickman

I agree.

I don't know about that.

I agree.

Price should be lower than that (starting price, 52000), Stingray name?

I agree.

Rickman
Some of the info makes sense.
Old 08-19-2012, 02:50 PM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Received 346 Likes on 208 Posts

The fact the OP hasn't returned raises questions. I think all that is written is certainly plausible shy of a couple statements. Everyone denied the Jelopnik photo for how long though, until the bumper video confirmed it.

Everything makes sense for the most part.
Old 08-19-2012, 02:52 PM
BMWDAD
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

List on the current 2013 vette is 50,000, grand sport 56,000. I do not see the C7 base starting at 60,000.

Following Porsche lead, keep the base low (for a vette), and option the heck out it for them to make $$.

On my 08 BMW I have every performance option available at the time, and not one luxury item.

I would do the same with the C7. example performance exhaust, ssk, tires, but no to nav, bose, heated seats etc.

Let us build the car we want.
Old 08-19-2012, 03:05 PM
jb_va2001
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
DC Area Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by NSC5
As writers of fiction (and also politicians) have long known: put a tidbit or two of truth in something and many will believe the whole story. Michael Crichton was a master of this in creating believable fiction.

I imagine there may be a tidbit or two of truth in this speculation (i.e. the model will still be named Corvette) but the only 2 + 2 seats that will fit in there would be just about large enough for a kitten Don't forget the tremendous amount of design (and resulting safety testing/certification) needed for a second row of seats not to mention the complete change in product image.

How about the next rumor is the Corvette will also have a class III towing package since they are also missing the market for those who want to tow their boat down the Tail of the Dragon on the way to Fontana lake.
And if you guess at enough things you'll eventually get something right, even if you know absolutely nothing.
Old 08-19-2012, 04:16 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Paulchristian
Consider the base price of a Nissan GT-R nowadays...about $90k. With all the talked about tech and quality improvements, you have to expect a price increase for the C7. There is no way around this unless GM is willing to take a back seat to the competition. I don't think that will happen. With the base GT-R out there as a price comp, I think GM can justify a price increase for the C7.

Personally, I believe the corvette team targeted the GT-R when setting a goal for hp output and tech features of the base C7. Current 2013 GTR makes 545hp. It will be a huge dissapointment, at least for me, if the C7 does not at least match the C6 ZO6 in hp output.
How can you make that claim? No one, you included, knows what the C7 will be...displacement, horsepower, weight, size, options, etc, so unless you know what the C7 is, how can you even guess what GM's target was when designing/engineering the C7?
Old 08-19-2012, 04:30 PM
Jawnathin
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I think many of you will be disappointed if you expect a Base C7 to out perform or have more power than a C6 Z06. I'm not convinced the Base C7 will even be quicker than a GS. I believe there will be a Z51 package that will be more competitive, but I believe that will be the GS competitor.

I think the C6Z and ZR1 will be outdone by the future, unspied, high performance model.

1.) No, the Base or Z51 C6 did not outperform a C5 Z06. It wasn't until the LS3 Z51 when it became quicker in acceleration and the C6 GS until it was a better handler too.

This test compares the 2005 Z51 to a C5Z.

2.) The LS2 C6 made almost as much power as a LS6 C5Z with the help of added displacement. Yes, there will be some upgraded tech (Direct Injection specifically), but I think it will be difficult for the C7 motor to exceed the power of the LS7 with less displacement, which seems all but confirmed.

The LS7 was quite a mechanical master piece (at one time, the most powerful production naturally aspirated V8 and powerful motor from GM) and was very expensive to develop and make. Getting it to rev to 7k took some serious work and hardware and titanium connecting rods and valves aren't cheap. I have doubts the next gen base motor will go as far as the LS7 did.

Having a smaller displacement motor puts this new motor at a disadvantage and outside of putting a blower on it or an unexpected change like DOHC, I think it'll have a hard time exceeding the LS7's output. I think best case scenario, you'd match it or get close.

That said, I don't think the motor needs as much power to be competitive. I think the 7spd will help narrow the performance gap even on a less powerful motor.

3.) I do not believe the Base C7 will even bother trying to compare itself to a GT-R. The GT-R is 2x the price of a Base C6 today. If it were to compete, costs would undoubtably go up and out of many people's price range. Not everyone interested in a Corvette needs to have 500+ HP, for some its about image and owning a 'fun car'.

The Z06 and ZR1 are the cars intended to compete with the GTR and they're much more expensive. I believe you'll find your C7 GTR fighter in a few years but it won't be the Base C7.

Last edited by Jawnathin; 08-19-2012 at 04:34 PM.
Old 08-19-2012, 04:32 PM
Paulchristian
Melting Slicks

Received 174 Likes on 121 Posts

How can you make that claim? No one, you included, knows what the C7 will be...displacement, horsepower, weight, size, options, etc, so unless you know what the C7 is, how can you even guess what GM's target was when designing/engineering the C7?
It's just an opinion, a benchmark that would make sense, at least to me, given the popularity of the GT-R and taking into consideration what it has been able to accomplish from an engineering standpoint.

Just an opinion, nothing more.
Old 08-19-2012, 05:11 PM
JLinCA
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The funniest part of that article was the Corvette not being "family friendly". Seriously?????? Jeez, I always thought the Corvette was supposed to be a SPORTS CAR.
Old 08-19-2012, 05:14 PM
JustinStrife
Team Owner

Received 96 Likes on 66 Posts

Some people shouldn't be allowed to create threads...
Old 08-19-2012, 05:17 PM
zland
Drifting

Received 608 Likes on 191 Posts

Great, most Corvettes are already automatics, now lets add a rear seat.
Old 08-19-2012, 05:17 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Look at the volumes of the GT-R. If Corvette goes for that model there will not be a Corvette in three years. Corvette is a "volume" sports car. They look to sell 30,000 plus cars a year. Straying from that target would be a huge mistake as the car has thrived by being affordable to even moderate income folks. Many Corvettes are bought by 50+ year olds who's kids have left the nest and they have disposable income to buy a car they have dreamed about for many years. $100,000 is not a "mid life crisis" reality.

Get notified of new replies

To New c4 info??

Old 08-19-2012, 05:25 PM
CPhelps
Drifting

Received 303 Likes on 173 Posts

There is no way around this unless GM is willing to take a back seat to the competition. I don't think that will happen.
The GTR is most likely not competition for the base C7, as Jawnathin notes, it is ~2x base C6 price, so having the base C7 perform below the GTR does not count as GM taking a back seat to the competition, IMO.

Originally Posted by Jawnathin
I think many of you will be disappointed if you expect a Base C7 to out perform or have more power than a C6 Z06. I'm not convinced the Base C7 will even be quicker than a GS. I believe there will be a Z51 package that will be more competitive, but I believe that will be the GS competitor.

I think the C6Z and ZR1 will be outdone by the future, unspied, high performance model.

1.) No, the Base or Z51 C6 did not outperform a C5 Z06. It wasn't until the LS3 Z51 when it became quicker in acceleration and the C6 GS until it was a better handler too.

This test compares the 2005 Z51 to a C5Z.

2.) The LS2 C6 made almost as much power as a LS6 C5Z with the help of added displacement. Yes, there will be some upgraded tech (Direct Injection specifically), but I think it will be difficult for the C7 motor to exceed the power of the LS7 with less displacement, which seems all but confirmed.

The LS7 was quite a mechanical master piece (at one time, the most powerful production naturally aspirated V8 and powerful motor from GM) and was very expensive to develop and make. Getting it to rev to 7k took some serious work and hardware and titanium connecting rods and valves aren't cheap. I have doubts the next gen base motor will go as far as the LS7 did.

Having a smaller displacement motor puts this new motor at a disadvantage and outside of putting a blower on it or an unexpected change like DOHC, I think it'll have a hard time exceeding the LS7's output. I think best case scenario, you'd match it or get close.

That said, I don't think the motor needs as much power to be competitive. I think the 7spd will help narrow the performance gap even on a less powerful motor.

3.) I do not believe the Base C7 will even bother trying to compare itself to a GT-R. The GT-R is 2x the price of a Base C6 today. If it were to compete, costs would undoubtably go up and out of many people's price range. Not everyone interested in a Corvette needs to have 500+ HP, for some its about image and owning a 'fun car'.

The Z06 and ZR1 are the cars intended to compete with the GTR and they're much more expensive. I believe you'll find your C7 GTR fighter in a few years but it won't be the Base C7.
(except I think/hope the base C7 will perform better than the GS by way of weight reduction and likely a power bump [still expecting/hoping for the 6.2L Gen V with DI])

Originally Posted by jschindler
Look at the volumes of the GT-R. If Corvette goes for that model there will not be a Corvette in three years. Corvette is a "volume" sports car. They look to sell 30,000 plus cars a year. Straying from that target would be a huge mistake as the car has thrived by being affordable to even moderate income folks. Many Corvettes are bought by 50+ year olds who's kids have left the nest and they have disposable income to buy a car they have dreamed about for many years. $100,000 is not a "mid life crisis" reality.

Last edited by CPhelps; 08-19-2012 at 05:29 PM.
Old 08-19-2012, 05:31 PM
Nitrous Oxide
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jschindler
Welcome to the world of fast cars. Today's fast is tomorrow's slow. Nothing new here. The Corvette has to and will make a quantum leap around GTR's territory. The GTR will make its own quantum leap, the Corvette again...
Old 08-19-2012, 05:40 PM
Jawnathin
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Nitrous Oxide
Welcome to the world of fast cars. Today's fast is tomorrow's slow. Nothing new here. The Corvette has to and will make a quantum leap around GTR's territory. The GTR will make its own quantum leap, the Corvette again...
I respectfully disagree, the Base Corvette doesn't have to at all. The Base C6 and soon Base C7 are in a completely different area. They compete with a much different demographic of cars...

As a matter of fact, lets just see what GM thinks the Base C6 competes with...

http://www.chevrolet.com/tools/compa...odel&year=2013

No GTR there...

The Z cars are the super car fighters.

Z06 - http://www.chevrolet.com/tools/compa...odel&year=2013

ZR1 - http://www.chevrolet.com/tools/compa...odel&year=2013

Quick Reply: New c4 info??