C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If GM holds back on power, will we hold back on buying?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2012, 02:13 PM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

Default If GM holds back on power, will we hold back on buying?

Let's be honest. A 430hp C7, or even a 450hp 6.2L C7, means GM is holding back.

If that's what shows up in January, will potential customers reciprocate and hold back from buying a C7 until they get specs on the expected higher-performance model?

We know some people will hold back no matter what: the "never buy the first year's problems" club, the owners of current Z06s and ZR1s, and those shopping above $75K.

But if you're not in one of those groups, if you know you're not spending more than $70K (or $80K for a 'vert), and if you've been thinking about a first-year C7, does an obviously-conservative powerplant give you pause? And do you think it might stall first-year sales?

Of course the engine isn't everything. Of course weight loss could be significant, and tires and suspension could be improved, and total performance should be considered.

But don't we expect direct injection and another round of engineering from GM Powertrain to deliver at least a 10% boost in hp/litre, e.g. a 475hp 6.2L V8? And if displacement does shrink don't we still expect at least a small hp bump that reflects significantly more hp/litre?

If they fail to meet those expectations, no matter how the 2014 C7 actually performs, I start wondering "where's the rest of it?" I start wondering if maybe the next step up is more like C5Z06 and not out of reach. I start thinking GM could be jumping the gun on the end of the affordable horsepower war.

Naturally, it has to be taken in the context of what the rest of the sub-$75K market is doing. If a 430hp C7 announcement is joined by a 370hp EcoBoost Mustang GT and a 375hp M3 and a 380hp V6T ATS-V and a 320hp Cayman S, it makes an affordable power bump for Corvette less likely. (No less desired, just less incentive for GM to do it.)

But, barring the clear immediate end to affordable horsepower escalation... On the one hand, 430hp in a lighter slicker more-refined car sounds like a great thing; on the other hand, it seems like a sucker's bet.

What do you think? Not just about the likelihood of such a conservative engine, or what your personal "minimum HP to buy" number is (because we know we all have one, or at least a lb/hp ratio, in mind), but whether the perception of holding back could reach a critical mass and stall a sales comeback.

.Jinx
Old 09-13-2012, 02:28 PM
John T
Melting Slicks

Received 267 Likes on 145 Posts

Great question and here is my honest answer ( which I will take heat for ) .
I am not a power junkie or a handling nut but a car needs to have a redeeming quality about it.
I like a 911 for steering feel and bank vault build
I loved the Z06 because it was just an exciting car
I like my Prius because it seems it never needs gas

A car has to have something going for it , just something!
Old 09-13-2012, 02:32 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by Jinx

If that's what shows up in January, will potential customers reciprocate and hold back from buying a C7 until they get specs on the expected higher-performance model?

We know some people will hold back no matter what: the "never buy the first year's problems" club, the owners of current Z06s and ZR1s, and those shopping above $75K.

But if you're not in one of those groups, if you know you're not spending more than $70K (or $80K for a 'vert), and if you've been thinking about a first-year C7, does an obviously-conservative powerplant give you pause? And do you think it might stall first-year sales?

Of course the engine isn't everything. Of course weight loss could be significant, and tires and suspension could be improved, and total performance should be considered.

But don't we expect direct injection and another round of engineering from GM Powertrain to deliver at least a 10% boost in hp/litre, e.g. a 475hp 6.2L V8? And if displacement does shrink don't we still expect at least a small hp bump that reflects significantly more hp/litre?

If they fail to meet those expectations, no matter how the 2014 C7 actually performs, I start wondering "where's the rest of it?" I start wondering if maybe the next step up is more like C5Z06 and not out of reach. I start thinking GM could be jumping the gun on the end of the affordable horsepower war.

Naturally, it has to be taken in the context of what the rest of the sub-$75K market is doing. If a 430hp C7 announcement is joined by a 370hp EcoBoost Mustang GT and a 375hp M3 and a 380hp V6T ATS-V and a 320hp Cayman S, it makes an affordable power bump for Corvette less likely. (No less desired, just less incentive for GM to do it.)

But, barring the clear immediate end to affordable horsepower escalation... On the one hand, 430hp in a lighter slicker more-refined car sounds like a great thing; on the other hand, it seems like a sucker's bet.

What do you think? Not just about the likelihood of such a conservative engine, or what your personal "minimum HP to buy" number is (because we know we all have one, or at least a lb/hp ratio, in mind), but whether the perception of holding back could reach a critical mass and stall a sales comeback.

.Jinx
Some people laugh at history, but I'm one that feels it's important. For the past two years 89.7% of the C6 BUYERS(that's people that actually paid money, not keyboard dreamers) went with the 430/436 HP engine choice vs the 10.3% that elected to pay extra for the 505/638 HP versions of the C6. Those are actual percentages, not some I dreamed up...LOL, but notice how closely they parallel my dreamed up numbers in another thread,

I don't feel that those people would object to more horsepower if were standard and not an extra cost add-on(and that includes a built in cost increase, across the board, to pay for that extra horsepower), but I'm willing to say that many of those people are happy with their choice of engines.

So I'm throwing out a dreamed up number of 90%, that could care less, and will buy the base C7 with the base engine. 10% will wait for the high performance engine.

Remember, for each 100 lbs of weight reduction, that is the equivalent of a 10 HP jump in horsepower. So it's more then what the dyno reads but the whole package that matters.

I would be more interested in a 3050 lb C7 with 450 Horsepower then a 3200 lb C7 with 475 HP.

Last edited by JoesC5; 09-13-2012 at 02:37 PM.
Old 09-13-2012, 02:45 PM
99SoCalFRC
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't get so hung up on the 2014 C7 that you forget they still have to sell 2015 C7's, and 2016 C7's.

The first year always leaves more on the table, room for changes and upgrades to sell later years. I expect we will see the LS3 "as is" in the C7 to start. And they will sell all of them they can make.
Old 09-13-2012, 02:52 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

I'm a huge fan of horsepower/torque but I won't resist this new car based on power ratings alone, it's weight and gearing are also going to play huge roles as well.
If it's only 450hp or even just 430hp (not likely) but weighs only 2900 pounds (also not likely) then I'm a player for sure.
But if the car weighs the same as a current base C6 and has less than 460hp I'll likely be keeping my (and possibly buying another) C6.
Old 09-13-2012, 03:00 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,939 Likes on 1,185 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5

Remember, for each 100 lbs of weight reduction, that is the equivalent of a 10 HP jump in horsepower. So it's more then what the dyno reads but the whole package that matters.

I would be more interested in a 3050 lb C7 with 450 Horsepower then a 3200 lb C7 with 475 HP.
Originally Posted by 99SoCalFRC
Don't get so hung up on the 2014 C7 that you forget they still have to sell 2015 C7's, and 2016 C7's.

The first year always leaves more on the table, room for changes and upgrades to sell later years.

But then again, I'm probably not gonna buy until the 3rd year anyway.........
Old 09-13-2012, 03:03 PM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Joe, that's a nice axe you've got there. The head's starting to look a little small, though...

So I guess you don't believe there might be something less than a 39% price jump from the base convertible or a 52% price jump from the base coupe to a quicker version? And that 90% of the market will think like you?

Fair enough.

I think you pay too little attention to history and think too little of 90% of the market. The much more modest gap between C5 and C5 Z06, for example. (17%)
Or the 36hp bump in 2008.
Or the last engine to be called LT4.
Or the last time the incoming generation's base model had a 0hp gain over the outgoing generation's base model. (Not C6, not C5; even C4 got a 5ph bump!)
Or the take rate on the GrandSport model, which offers improved performance (albeit not hp) and more prestige for a 13% price premium on coupe or 9% on convertible.

And yeah, like you I'd rather have the 3050lb 450hp car -- not that we actually get to choose
But if it's a 6.2L, I know there's a lot more to be had there, and I have to wonder if GM is really going to stand pat or build something designed to get 10%-15% more from half of your fabled 90%.

.Jinx
Old 09-13-2012, 03:10 PM
Badluck33
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if base model(which is what I want) starts between 50 and 55k I am making a deposit in January.
Old 09-13-2012, 03:23 PM
99SoCalFRC
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Joe, that's a nice axe you've got there. The head's starting to look a little small, though...

So I guess you don't believe there might be something less than a 39% price jump from the base convertible or a 52% price jump from the base coupe to a quicker version? And that 90% of the market will think like you?

Fair enough.

I think you pay too little attention to history and think too little of 90% of the market. The much more modest gap between C5 and C5 Z06, for example. (17%)
Or the last time the incoming generation's base model had a 0hp gain over the outgoing generation's base model. (Not C6, not C5; even C4 got a 5ph bump!)
Or the take rate on the GrandSport model, which offers improved performance (albeit not hp) and more prestige for a 13% price premium on coupe or 9% on convertible.

And yeah, like you I'd rather have the 3050lb 450hp car -- not that we actually get to choose
But if it's a 6.2L, I know there's a lot more to be had there, and I have to wonder if GM is really going to stand pat or build something designed to get 10%-15% more from half of your fabled 90%.

.Jinx
I think what he was saying is 90% of the market is good with buying a C7 regardless if the horsepower goes up or stays the same.

You are going to see a new engine with more power in the year before a new Camaro is due. So if a new Camaro is coming in 2017, you will get a new engine/ more power in the Vette in 2016. More of these things are decided on convenience than you would like to think.

Why would they need more power to sell the C7? They already have a new design? Don't expect them todo more than they have to in order to sell these cars.

I see a new intake or exhaust setup to substantiate a 10HP increase. 430HP Camaro/ 440HP Corvette.
Old 09-13-2012, 03:39 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Badluck33
if base model(which is what I want) starts between 50 and 55k
I'm thinking that it will 'base MSRP' somewhere right in the middle there (ie: the high $51k to mid $53k range).
Old 09-13-2012, 04:03 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Fair enough.

.Jinx
Let me ask you this.. For the latter C6's, if GM made the LS7(that's only a 69 HP jump over the LS3) as the base engine..how much would the base price of the C6 increased? Nothing else changed except the required changes in the drivetrain to handle that extra HP, as they had to add to the Z06.

About your C5 Z06 comment. The C5 Z06 did not have a aluminum frame, or a Mg engine cradle, or CF floorboards, or carbon fiber front fenders and wheelhouses, or huge brakes, or huge wheels/tires. or completey new front fascia and completey new rear quarter panels. It did have a new roof, that was cheaper to build then the base coupe's targa roof/hatchback. But it did have a 35 HP increase in horsepower in 2001 and the price was over $8000 more then the base coupe.

Last edited by JoesC5; 09-13-2012 at 04:10 PM.
Old 09-13-2012, 04:10 PM
Badluck33
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
I'm thinking that it will 'base MSRP' somewhere right in the middle there (ie: the high $51k to mid $53k range).
That's what I think as well.
Old 09-13-2012, 04:15 PM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

As they had to add to the 427 Convertible? What (non-frills) hardware did they add to that? And what does that cost GM to do?

In any case, LS7 is a hand-built engine with some exotic bits and at the edge of what can be done with the LS. It doesn't make a good base engine.

I don't see a point to your hypothetical.

.Jinx
Old 09-13-2012, 04:18 PM
Ltrain925
Burning Brakes

Received 56 Likes on 53 Posts

it all depends to me on what the transmission is like and the gearing of it how many gears and the rear end. IF it was an 8-speed DCT, with a 3.37 ratio with 430HP that thing would rip. But honestly yes i would like to see more power .

I feel like chevy needs to distinguish there models with more options. have 4-5 different engine choices the old 5.3 for people that want a v8 but don't go fast, 5.7,6.2 something like that. Whenever i see a BMW or MBZ and notice all the different packages they come with it really makes it more fun for the buyer. You can buy a 328i or a 335i or an M3, or a 335i diesel, and it really produces an enormous amount of sales. I would never say slap a v6 in the c7 just a really economical base 5.3 standard truck engine would be fine. They could market that to the young as they are trying to focus there "Target market" on.

For us adults, raise the price a little give us a badass engine with 2 or 3 choices not including the z06. And the z06 shouldn't be just more power but more everything as it has been in the past. Thats what i would love to see. Just like in the old days options options options!!!
Old 09-13-2012, 04:21 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

As they had to add to the 427 Convertible? What (non-frills) hardware did they add to that? And what does that cost GM to do?

In any case, LS7 is a hand-built engine with some exotic bits and at the edge of what can be done with the LS. It doesn't make a good base engine.

I don't see a point to your hypothetical.

.Jinx
My point was that it cost money to get that 69 horsepower and still warrant it for 100,000 miles. It makes no difference how they achieve that additonal horsepower, just that they did.

The 427 Convertible has a stronger transmission, a stronger differential and half shafts vs the base convertible with 430/436 horsepower. In additon, the 427 Convertible is not offered with an auto transmission, that would be required with a base C6, because the existing auto transmission is not strong enough and another auto transmisson would have to be designed for the car, costing even more. If you haven't noticed the 427 Convertible is not a base C6 nor is it priced the same as a base C6.

So, why don't you answer my original question? How much more would 69 horsepower in the C6 cost over the base 430/436 HP. I gave you an engine(LS7) that meets the horsepower requirement of my question. Tell me what the base price of a C6 would be with that engine as standard equippment.

Last edited by JoesC5; 09-13-2012 at 04:29 PM.
Old 09-13-2012, 04:23 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Let me ask you this.. For the latter C6's, if GM made the LS7(that's only a 69 HP jump over the LS3) as the base engine..how much would the base price of the C6 increased? Nothing else changed except the required changes in the drivetrain to handle that extra HP, as they had to add to the Z06.

About your C5 Z06 comment. The C5 Z06 did not have a aluminum frame, or a Mg engine cradle, or CF floorboards, or carbon fiber front fenders and wheelhouses, or huge brakes, or huge wheels/tires. or completey new front fascia and completey new rear quarter panels. It did have a new roof, that was cheaper to build then the base coupe's targa roof/hatchback. But it did have a 35 HP increase in horsepower in 2001 and the price was over $8000 more then the base coupe.
I think you are confusing what it cost Gm to build the C5 Z06 with what they chose to charge for it as an upscale "gotta have it" package that gave them an additional profit center. That's different than what they may add to the base price for a power increase to stay competitive in the current market.

Old 09-13-2012, 04:32 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Ltrain925
it all depends to me on what the transmission is like and the gearing of it how many gears and the rear end. IF it was an 8-speed DCT, with a 3.37 ratio with 430HP that thing would rip. But honestly yes i would like to see more power .

I feel like chevy needs to distinguish there models with more options. have 4-5 different engine choices the old 5.3 for people that want a v8 but don't go fast, 5.7,6.2 something like that. Whenever i see a BMW or MBZ and notice all the different packages they come with it really makes it more fun for the buyer. You can buy a 328i or a 335i or an M3, or a 335i diesel, and it really produces an enormous amount of sales. I would never say slap a v6 in the c7 just a really economical base 5.3 standard truck engine would be fine. They could market that to the young as they are trying to focus there "Target market" on.

For us adults, raise the price a little give us a badass engine with 2 or 3 choices not including the z06. And the z06 shouldn't be just more power but more everything as it has been in the past. Thats what i would love to see. Just like in the old days options options options!!!
Do you have any idea what it cost to get various engines certified? Then only be able to amortize that cost over a few cars. This isn't 1967 where the .gov was only concerned about the dangerous spinners on the knock off wheels hurting someone.

Get notified of new replies

To If GM holds back on power, will we hold back on buying?

Old 09-13-2012, 04:40 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Originally Posted by tuxnharley
I think you are confusing what it cost Gm to build the C5 Z06 with what they chose to charge for it as an upscale "gotta have it" package that gave them an additional profit center. That's different than what they may add to the base price for a power increase to stay competitive in the current market.

No, I'm not confusing what it cost GM. It isn't free and GM has to make a profit. And GM has a price point they have to meet. Do you really think it costs GM $9,495 more to build a 4LT trim package then a 1LT trim, or that it costs GM $850 more to paint a car yellow vs a black one?
Old 09-13-2012, 04:43 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

No, I'm not confusing what it cost GM. It isn't free and GM has to make a profit. And GM has a price point they have to meet. Do you really think it costs GM $9,495 more to build a 4LT trim package then a 1LT trim, or that it costs GM $850 more to paint a car yellow vs a black one?
Thank you for reaffirming my point............perhaps we are saying the same thing in different ways?

Old 09-13-2012, 04:53 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Originally Posted by tuxnharley
Thank you for reaffirming my point............perhaps we are saying the same thing in different ways?

I think we are saying the same thing.. I misread your post...sorry...

Quick Reply: If GM holds back on power, will we hold back on buying?