Sponsored by:

Who Will Buy First Production C7?!?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 07:54 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

Originally Posted by RussM05
I've worked in the electronics industry for 30+ years so during the development process, these issues will be sorted out. Every engineering department I have work with has a well documented process for testing systems and documenting the revisions to software and hardware. This does not concern me one bit.
Exactly. And the issues that slip through will be dealt with. I guess owning 4 British Leyland sports cars in my late teens/early twenties made me immune to the piddly issues like DBS! Long live Joseph Lucas, THE REAL prince of darkness.

Jimmy
Old 09-25-2012, 07:57 PM
Carver Electrics
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmyb
Why do you care what a few "idiots" do with THEIR money? You want to wait to get a "Deal", that's your choice. The "idiots" will be enjoying their C7's in the meantime.

Jimmy
Although I cannot speak for him, I presume he believes a fool will buy the car over MSRP and a few months later they will be discounting them. I would bet he as I, could care less what someone does with his/her money.

But, I have seen guys almost kill themselves a few months after buying over MSRP. The ZR1 back in the 90's was going for $20k over MSRP, and I know a guy that bought it at that price. Sad watching a grown man almost in tears a few months later when prices dropped. The same story with a guy in one of my clubs that bought a 09 ZR1. We all felt so bad for the guy when prices plummeted a few months later. But hey he had one of the 1st ZR1's though.
Old 09-25-2012, 08:00 PM
Carver Electrics
Drifting

I've worked in the electronics industry for 30+ years so during the development process, these issues will be sorted out. Every engineering department I have work with has a well documented process for testing systems and documenting the revisions to software and hardware. This does not concern me one bit.
It's no so much the electronics as it is Corvette history. 2005 was not long ago. Just ask just about anyone on this forum what car they would rather have a 05 or 06 even with the cost of the 06 substantially higher.
Old 09-25-2012, 08:10 PM
Lifted07Sierra
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not to be a dick but really who cares who buys the first one
Old 09-25-2012, 08:14 PM
Carver Electrics
Drifting

Originally Posted by Lifted07Sierra
Not to be a dick but really who cares who buys the first one
I don't. But it will be interesting to see how much someone pays for it. Even if I had Bill Gates money I would have no interest in the 1st one if it was significantly over MSRP. I would just buy the second one and donate the savings.
Old 09-25-2012, 08:21 PM
VETTE-NV
16 Vettes and counting…..
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,143 Likes on 541 Posts

Why do you care what a few "idiots" do with THEIR money? You want to wait to get a "Deal", that's your choice. The "idiots" will be enjoying their C7's in the meantime.

Jimmy
Uhh.....please show me where I said I "care."
Old 09-25-2012, 08:22 PM
Lifted07Sierra
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Carver Electrics
I don't. But it will be interesting to see how much someone pays for it. Even if I had Bill Gates money I would have no interest in the 1st one if it was significantly over MSRP. I would just buy the second one and donate the savings.
Thats a more interesting topic is how much someone is going to pay. Not who buys it.

If I had Bill Gates money Id give out $5,000 a year to 1,000 people just because I wouldn't know what to do with billions other than help other people.
Old 09-25-2012, 08:23 PM
texvette2
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Not who will buy one of the first but how long will it be before after markets have kits
and upgrade panels to make your C6 look like a C7. Today you can create a different
car look with the click of a mouse and paypal.
Old 09-25-2012, 08:36 PM
Nitrous Oxide
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They want to make a big splash in Europe. So number 1 will go away for free as a gift to the pope.

The archbishop of Canterbury may get number 007 for a symbolic pence. If he's been a good boy this year.
Old 09-25-2012, 09:32 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Originally Posted by VETTE-NV
Uhh.....please show me where I said I "care."
You didn't, you did, however, bring the subject up. Why?

Jimmy
Old 09-25-2012, 09:37 PM
Carver Electrics
Drifting

Jimmy
Why not? It's a great subject to ask why someone would pay over MSRP for any car.
Old 09-25-2012, 09:40 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Although I cannot speak for him, I presume he believes a fool will buy the car over MSRP and a few months later they will be discounting them. I would bet he as I, could care less what someone does with his/her money.

But, I have seen guys almost kill themselves a few months after buying over MSRP. The ZR1 back in the 90's was going for $20k over MSRP, and I know a guy that bought it at that price. Sad watching a grown man almost in tears a few months later when prices dropped. The same story with a guy in one of my clubs that bought a 09 ZR1. We all felt so bad for the guy when prices plummeted a few months later. But hey he had one of the 1st ZR1's though.
I am sorry for your friends' misfortune but anyone that buys ANY modern, mass produced car, for ANY price, and then is surprised that the price is FLUID is kidding himself. Buy it because you want it and can afford it.

Jimmy
Old 09-25-2012, 09:41 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Why not? It's a great subject to ask why someone would pay over MSRP for any car.
Because they want the car NOW. Ask anyone that buys Ferraris.

Jimmy
Old 09-25-2012, 09:45 PM
Carver Electrics
Drifting

Because they want the car NOW. Ask anyone that buys Ferraris.

Jimmy
Im sure you're right. But I bet many do it on a spur of the moment or even a show off kind of thing. I would also bet many buy it not knowing just how fast the price will drop. Often when people buy above or at MSRP the prices drop down within a few months of the purchase. Reference the recent Camaro disaster for many buyers.
Old 09-25-2012, 11:30 PM
VETTE-NV
16 Vettes and counting…..
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,143 Likes on 541 Posts

Jimmy
I didn't.....I was responding in general to another comment about the subject. Don't get your panties all in a bunch. Sorry if my comment offended you. Relax.
Old 09-25-2012, 11:42 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

I didn't.....I was responding in general to another comment about the subject. Don't get your panties all in a bunch. Sorry if my comment offended you. Relax.
My panties aren't in a bunch (but thanks for asking). So now, you can relax.

Jimmy
Old 09-26-2012, 12:25 AM
Carver Electrics
Drifting

My panties aren't in a bunch (but thanks for asking). So now, you can relax.

Jimmy
I'm glad your panties are fine.

Get notified of new replies

To Who Will Buy First Production C7?!?

Old 09-26-2012, 12:50 AM
Rocketmanwpb
Safety Car

Received 461 Likes on 235 Posts

There will always be a few idiots that have more money than brains who will pay over sticker, but with today's poor economy and the slow sales of Corvettes in recent years, I doubt the dealer gouging will last very long. I don't think we'll see any major discounts until the end of the first model year, but after the first few months of production, purchasing a C7 should be no more painful than purchasing a C6.
If history is a guide, there will be an added charge to purchase the first few months C7 production. After that who knows. Depends on how fast they move off the dealer's showroom floors. There are actually a few dealers in my area that have the added dealer charge to the Vette.
Old 09-26-2012, 08:15 AM
Big Dan 427
Safety Car

I am not 100% sure but I believe the first 2013 427 60th anniversary car sold at BJ for
600K and the proceeds went to charity! I had a friend who sold his one of a kind custom at BJ, in a round about way he told me the deal was done before the car hit the stage, so like the 600k 427 if the first C7 sells at BJ it will be BIG money if for nothing else the PR! As for buying the first year, that should not be too much of an issue, I'm sure the tech will be a concern but the car itself will likely be a parts bin product to some extent! And for what it's worth the C6 has been around for years and it has issues so why would a new product be any different!
Old 09-26-2012, 09:43 AM
WHT
Drifting

OK, I'll bite.
Please post ANY info (link, etc...) where it says that the new Corvette is having "more than a few electrical problems". The car doesn't go into production for at least 8 months!!!! Seriously, if you're so dialed into info about the C7 that you know it's teething problems, how about telling us engine size, horspower, etc.

If you are assuming (based on past history) that there will be problems, OK. If you're just making up stuff, well, do us all a favor and stop. Or, are you just talking yourself into NOT paying the first year dealer's price?

Jimmy
Gosh Jimmy, you need to get off the computer and take a nap.

Good. You should also appreciate Corvettes in the past have had electrical gremlins that took GM years to completly resolve.

I have a 2011 Jeep Wrangler that was purchased before the new Pentastar was released (wanted the proven, simple pushrod engine). In discussions like this, more than a few on the Wrangler forum said I was stupid because the new Jeep would be perfect. After all, the "new" engine had been out several years in other applications.

Some of those people are now complaining bitterly about their 2012 Wranglers while they are waiting for Chrysler to replace heads and cams. This won't increase the future used value of early Pentastar Wrangles.

Quick Reply: Who Will Buy First Production C7?!?