C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

only a select few dealership will sell the Viper...hope GM does the same with the C7!

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 11:33 PM
shawnvettefan
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The days of 30-40K units are long gone!! I wonder what GM's own targets are? I'm guessing 20-25K for the domestic market.

The dilemma with the Corvette is that it's a high-line car being sold amongst low-mid line cars therfore hurting the quality and customer service a high-line car needs.

What's wrong making a dealer prove itself before allowing them to sell your flagship car?
Old 09-25-2012, 11:38 PM
Carver Electrics
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by shawnvettefan
The days of 30-40K units are long gone!! I wonder what GM's own targets are? I'm guessing 20-25K for the domestic market.

The dilemma with the Corvette is that it's a high-line car being sold amongst low-mid line cars therfore hurting the quality and customer service a high-line car needs.

What's wrong making a dealer prove itself before allowing them to sell your flagship car?
Chevy states the Impala is one of their flagship cars. Should they do the same for the Impala?
Old 09-25-2012, 11:42 PM
shawnvettefan
Instructor

Originally Posted by Carver Electrics
Chevy states the Impala is one of their flagship cars. Should they do the same for the Impala?
LOL....What do you think?? You must be fu***ng joking!!!
Old 09-26-2012, 12:24 AM
Carver Electrics
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

LOL....What do you think?? You must be fu***ng joking!!!
I don't know. It was part of your argument.

One thing is certain Corvette allotment will have a lot to do with which dealerships get the first C7's.
Old 09-26-2012, 12:32 AM
Rocketmanwpb
Safety Car

Received 461 Likes on 235 Posts

http://www.topspeed.com/cars/car-new...-ar135435.html

Good move on their part, especially the $5K in special training. This is showing they know they have a high-line car and want only select dealers handling their flagship.

This way only a small % of dealers are allowed to sell the car and this makes sure they are well prepared for proper Customer service before and after the car is sold.

I hope GM does something like this and better yet let select Cadillac dealers sell the Corvette as well.
No way-only if you want to see the Vette become a limited production vehicle.
Old 09-26-2012, 01:44 AM
gatti-man
Melting Slicks

Received 62 Likes on 34 Posts

The base vette isn't even the most expensive GM car. Plus it's easy to work on.
Old 09-26-2012, 02:11 AM
shawnvettefan
Instructor

Originally Posted by gatti-man
The base vette isn't even the most expensive GM car. Plus it's easy to work on.
How many bare bones (Relatively) base Corvettes does GM make? Even so, since when is $50K chump change? Besides the avg. MSRP of the Corvette is much much higher. I wonder if anyone has this info?

There is NO doubt that the Corvette is GM's (and USA's) flagship car and it deserves to be sold & serviced by dealers that know how to handle such a car.
Old 09-26-2012, 02:48 AM
JustinStrife
Team Owner

Received 96 Likes on 66 Posts

How many bare bones (Relatively) base Corvettes does GM make? Even so, since when is $50K chump change? Besides the avg. MSRP of the Corvette is much much higher. I wonder if anyone has this info?

There is NO doubt that the Corvette is GM's (and USA's) flagship car and it deserves to be sold & serviced by dealers that know how to handle such a car.
The Corvette isn't that complex...
Old 09-26-2012, 08:19 AM
forg0tmypen
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by JustinStrife
The Corvette isn't that complex...
It's not very complex, Ill give you that. But from one Vette to another there are subtle changes that an experienced technician needs to be aware of and I'd prefer he need not bring up a service manual for every small fix needed. An ex. the change in dry sump oiling capacity from 06-08 to the larger sump tank in 09-13. Very important detail. Or even the fact that a manual, targa, GS has a dry sump. No other GS has this. TPMS changes, frame differences, the under carriages have small subtleties from model to model. The Z06 and a base Vette are close to being two completely different cars. Yet they are both "Vettes". Same with the ZR1. What I would like is some general competency from dealerships on these cars. I think every Chevy dealer should be eligible to sell Vettes just as long as they can prove they know what they are doing and have the correct equipment.
Old 09-26-2012, 08:32 AM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by gatti-man
Terrible idea. A c7 isn't a viper, it needs to actually move numbers.
My local dealer, 5 miles from my home has treated me and the last 6 vette's I bought from them flawlessly. I actually enjoy hanging out with the guys as many of them also frequent the 1/4 track on Test and Tune nights with their hobby cars and are all passionate car guys.

I'm buying a vette not an Austin Martin. Having said that I will agree that if GM is going to use this business model then they need to be able to service and handle Corvette's and their owners professionally at any Chevrolet dealership in the US.
Old 09-26-2012, 11:54 AM
JustinStrife
Team Owner

Originally Posted by forg0tmypen
It's not very complex, Ill give you that. But from one Vette to another there are subtle changes that an experienced technician needs to be aware of and I'd prefer he need not bring up a service manual for every small fix needed. An ex. the change in dry sump oiling capacity from 06-08 to the larger sump tank in 09-13. Very important detail. Or even the fact that a manual, targa, GS has a dry sump. No other GS has this. TPMS changes, frame differences, the under carriages have small subtleties from model to model. The Z06 and a base Vette are close to being two completely different cars. Yet they are both "Vettes". Same with the ZR1. What I would like is some general competency from dealerships on these cars. I think every Chevy dealer should be eligible to sell Vettes just as long as they can prove they know what they are doing and have the correct equipment.
That's nice. Still doesn't change my point. All the dealerships need is competent mechanics. Nothing more, nothing less. They don't need 'special training and equipment'. They just need to make sure the mechanics are decent. That's it.
Old 09-26-2012, 12:15 PM
HZ3
Racer

I am keeping my Camaro for another year. That means in Spring 14 I will be in the market for something a little higher end than a Base Corvette. I was originally looking at a ZL1 next Summer but with the rumors Keeks broke regarding an LT4 engine being put in the vehicle in MY 15 I will simply wait it out.

This puts me in a position where I am looking at the Nissan GTR the SRT Viper and ofcourse the rumored LT4 Mid Level Performance Corvette will be considered.

At 100k+ I would like exclusivity with my ride. That's something both the GTR and the Viper can offer to some very small extent they are not exotics but 100k Sports Cars that are rarely seen. I have seen maybe 3 GTRs this year and 3 Vipers.

With that said after reading extensively on Nagtroc and the Viper Forums I have concluded that this will be somewhat painful purchase in which I might need to shop around to avoid a market adjustment. Nissan is already screwing GTR customers over exclusivity by adjusting prices on the vehicle. What's even worse is I am not sure if they even specially train dealers who sell the GTR.

With that said General Motors dealerships generally don't have the needed training for these types of vehicles. I recently had a run in with my 10 SS Camaro and they took over 6 weeks to fix the vehicle. They kept mentioning that even after almost 4 years they don't have alot of experience working on Camaros there.

I would hate to bring a Z06 Corvette to a dealer with similar training.

While Dodge Viper is doing the right thing I would be naive to think the costs won't be translated over to the buyer in some if not most cases. Market Adjustments were going to be a stark reality regardless of the initial costs but something tells me they may be more extreme with the Viper at least during the first year maybe longer.

With that said though these things are needed. When you spend 100k+ for a vehicle you expect the person selling it to be able to know how to properly maintain it for you if they have a service department.
Old 09-26-2012, 12:27 PM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by Boo383
There are Chevy dealerships all over the country that only sell a few Vettes a year. Do you really want your Vette entrusted to a mechanic who only works on Silverados and Cruzes all day??
Yes, if they are competent mechanics. Do I really want to be on a road trip and find myself 400 miles from the nearest dealer allowed to work on my Chevy? No sir I do not. If you want your Corvette serviced exclusively at high-volume Corvette dealerships, feel free to make that distinction yourself and limit yourself, but don't try to impose that choice on the rest of us.

If I find I'm not getting adequate customer service, I stop doing business there. And you can get great or terrible service regardless of the "height" of the car line.

If the distaste isn't for poor customer service but for modest showrooms and the "riffraff" who shop there, buy a Porsche.
Old 09-26-2012, 12:40 PM
prinzSD455
Safety Car

Received 110 Likes on 69 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Unmodified

Originally Posted by Jinx
Yes, if they are competent mechanics. Do I really want to be on a road trip and find myself 400 miles from the nearest dealer allowed to work on my Chevy? No sir I do not. If you want your Corvette serviced exclusively at high-volume Corvette dealerships, feel free to make that distinction yourself and limit yourself, but don't try to impose that choice on the rest of us.

If I find I'm not getting adequate customer service, I stop doing business there. And you can get great or terrible service regardless of the "height" of the car line.

If the distaste isn't for poor customer service but for modest showrooms and the "riffraff" who shop there, buy a Porsche.
Old 09-26-2012, 01:00 PM
JustinStrife
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Jinx

The Corvette at the end of the day, is still a Chevy. Meaning any of us can still work on these cars if we are patient and willing to read manuals or the forum.

This isn't like owning a Porsche or Lambo, or Bugatti.
Old 09-26-2012, 01:18 PM
VRYALT3R3D
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '12

So this means the Corvette C7 can only be serviced at those pparticular dealers? What if you live in the middle of no where? Are you S-O-L?
Old 09-26-2012, 02:40 PM
shawnvettefan
Instructor

Originally Posted by JustinStrife
The Corvette at the end of the day, is still a Chevy. Meaning any of us can still work on these cars if we are patient and willing to read manuals or the forum.

This isn't like owning a Porsche or Lambo, or Bugatti.
"Anyone of us can still work on these cars".....not with all of todays technologies and complexities. And do the majority of owners really work on their cars? I don't think so! Maybe a few die hard fans on this forum but not in general.

And btw, Porsche's are no where in the same league as a Lambo or a Bugatti just like a Corvette isn't.

Get notified of new replies

To only a select few dealership will sell the Viper...hope GM does the same with the C7!

Old 09-26-2012, 03:31 PM
BeaZt
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '14

I will be voiding my warranty in some form or fashion anyway soooo....
Old 09-26-2012, 07:31 PM
JustinStrife
Team Owner

"Anyone of us can still work on these cars".....not with all of todays technologies and complexities. And do the majority of owners really work on their cars? I don't think so! Maybe a few die hard fans on this forum but not in general.

And btw, Porsche's are no where in the same league as a Lambo or a Bugatti just like a Corvette isn't.
Spend some time in the forced induction subforums. Quite a few people work on their own vettes. Some with lifts, and some only using blocks of wood and jacks. More than a handful of people have gotten hptuners and tuned their own cars. The corvette is not complex. We can replace or fix 95% of the parts on these cars in our garages. Or outside on the driveway. I have done my fair share on my last c5. It was a procharged coupe making 600hp. Before the ls2.
Old 09-26-2012, 11:19 PM
c54u
Melting Slicks

Received 682 Likes on 475 Posts

Really? Production numbers for 2012 according to GM were 11,647.

2013 production will certainly be less than 2012 with the shorter run and the tanking economy. Why do you guess 20-25k?

2004 - 34064
2005 - 37372
2006 - 34,021
2007 - 40,561
2008 - 35,310
2009 - 16,956
2010 - 12,194
2011 - 13,596
2012 - 11,647
2013 - < 11,647

Quick Reply: only a select few dealership will sell the Viper...hope GM does the same with the C7!