Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2012, 12:24 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,939 Likes on 1,185 Posts

Originally Posted by firstvettesoon
could have gone a lot of ways...

Tried a morph of an AM rear with the trin body.

Now that I love and would buy! It looks smoother, continuous, integrated - not all disjointed and tacked on like the C7 renderings and CAD we have seen.

Hmm - just a thought - do I remember from a while back that someone said the Aztec designer was involved in the C7? From the looks of the rear, I'd say that appears to be true!

Last edited by tuxnharley; 09-28-2012 at 12:27 PM. Reason: typo
Old 09-28-2012, 12:57 PM
Paulchristian
Melting Slicks

Received 174 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by 01vetteC5
I Agree that the new lights look better with the new design.

It will take some getting used to but It will be for the better in the end I think.

Plus the Round lights look a bit dated on that new rear. Not to mention looks very GTRish.

more like the GT-R taillights look very corvette-ish.

The C7 does not have to have round lights...but if they did go with round lights, they could easily make them look different than the current C6 lights. They could be smaller, incorporate the reverse lights, larger separation, offset at a different angle, etc, etc.
Old 09-28-2012, 12:58 PM
firstvettesoon
Melting Slicks

Received 1,906 Likes on 750 Posts

I'm sure it could be better still, like the blend of the spoiler, but there is only so much I can do with Photoshop.in 30 minutes. But I do like the smoother cleaner, more classic look too. Not so trendy, it should be iconic and timeless.

I agree the Round lights are classic but like the hidden headlights not necessary for a great design which is why I chose to show a version with non round lights. I'm sure a round light version could be made that looks great.

Maybe C7 will look better in real life...

Last edited by firstvettesoon; 09-28-2012 at 01:04 PM.
Old 09-28-2012, 01:06 PM
91redragtop
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IF they were trying to use a variant of the Stingray concept with the rear lights, they would have looked a lot better coming to a point in the center with the inner light smaller just like the concept. I think they could have done a better job than they did. Round lights aren't a necessity for me with the C7, just something distinct and original! Not a resemblance to something else in the family tree!!
Old 09-28-2012, 01:11 PM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

Originally Posted by tuxnharley
Now that I love and would buy! It looks smoother, continuous, integrated - not all disjointed and tacked on like the C7 renderings and CAD we have seen.

Hmm - just a thought - do I remember from a while back that someone said the Aztec designer was involved in the C7? From the looks of the rear, I'd say that appears to be true!
The body has sharper corners/lines and rounding the rear doesn't fit. Creating a rear end design that fits with all the aerodynamic considerations is a challenge. Everyone is concentrating on the rear with very little discussion devoted to the front. There appears to be a double ridge line extending aft. We saw a little of this when a picture of the engine was shown before being edited from the forum.
Old 09-28-2012, 01:56 PM
Paulchristian
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 91redragtop
IF they were trying to use a variant of the Stingray concept with the rear lights, they would have looked a lot better coming to a point in the center with the inner light smaller just like the concept. I think they could have done a better job than they did. Round lights aren't a necessity for me with the C7, just something distinct and original! Not a resemblance to something else in the family tree!!
Exactly!!!

Round lights are not needed. However, the lights, as they are drawn on the latest photos, are not impressive IMO. Almost as if the designers deliberately held back. The lights could have been much more aggressive looking. I like the idea of those lights but the execution is not impressive to me...
Old 09-28-2012, 02:03 PM
John T
Melting Slicks

Received 267 Likes on 145 Posts

I am very glad that jock did the round tail lights for us to compare.

Our resident guru " firstvettesoon " is doing incredible stuff just like MikeG37

My 2 cents : This long front, short rear that Ferrari is doing lot of lately doesn't do much for me but it appears that GM has tweaked that look and added good ole American "badass" to the equation and I am really liking it.
Old 09-28-2012, 02:12 PM
JockItch
Safety Car

Received 5,300 Likes on 1,973 Posts

Originally Posted by Paulchristian
Exactly!!!

Round lights are not needed. However, the lights, as they are drawn on the latest photos, are not impressive IMO. Almost as if the designers deliberately held back. The lights could have been much more aggressive looking. I like the idea of those lights but the execution is not impressive to me...
I think once we actually see them lit up, they'll be quite impressive.
Old 09-28-2012, 02:13 PM
69L79
Le Mans Master

Location: Hamilton Square NJ, Ocean City N. J. Key Biscayne Fla.
Received 849 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by JockamoIPA
This is the best I could do with my very basic photoshop skills. Maybe someone else can give it a go.

OP- You did us a favor, really! I think now all the gotta have round taillight people can now see how crappy the round lights would look with the newly designed rear. I am starting to iike the hooded, eyebrow look.
Old 09-28-2012, 02:16 PM
bcmarly
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 363 Likes on 212 Posts

Out with the old and in with the new.
Old 09-28-2012, 02:23 PM
Frankie2blue
Melting Slicks

Received 272 Likes on 144 Posts

Nearly everyone is going to forget all about round taillights by time the new one is out. Just from the renderings I am already tired of my round ones on my Z.
Old 09-28-2012, 02:48 PM
firstvettesoon
Melting Slicks

Received 1,906 Likes on 750 Posts

Z car option...

even has round lights!

now that's a spoiler!

Last edited by firstvettesoon; 09-28-2012 at 02:51 PM.
Old 09-28-2012, 02:49 PM
91redragtop
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Frankie2blue
Nearly everyone is going to forget all about round taillights by time the new one is out. Just from the renderings I am already tired of my round ones on my Z.
Speak for yourself!! I will never get tired of the round taillights on my GS!!! Just hoping I like the new lights and that the CAD drawings aren't really what we will be seeing!!
Old 09-28-2012, 02:54 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Z car option...

even has round lights!

Yes the new Corvette Z06 Modena, nice.
Old 09-28-2012, 03:08 PM
CaryKen
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

Tried a morph of an AM rear with the trin body.

Hunh! Reminds me a little of the old Mitsubishi Eclipse. (Rear only... Obviously)
Old 09-28-2012, 03:38 PM
roundlight lover
Racer

Haven't been on for about a week.
Can't believe images can go from bad to worse.
Didn't get to see the so-called Keeks images, but it couldn't have been much different. Adding those silly vertical rear vents, or whatever they are , is just plain silly. I haven't seen any renderring or photochop yet that dosen't look like a kids 99 cent hot wheel design of the month diecast toy. Angles, add ons, this, that, racer seats, and a generic chevy steering wheel (again) so that you have a constant reminder of the lower models as your tooling around. Cheap shots all the way around- again - GM.
Old 09-28-2012, 03:47 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,939 Likes on 1,185 Posts

Originally Posted by CaryKen
Hunh! Reminds me a little of the old Mitsubishi Eclipse. (Rear only... Obviously)
You do understand that the rear on that pic is essentially a direct copy of the new Aston Martin, right?

Get notified of new replies

To Round Tail Lights

Old 09-28-2012, 04:48 PM
lake_bueller
Instructor

Z car option...

even has round lights!

now that's a spoiler!
Nicely done!!

Do you think they'll move the gas trap door to the "Euro" side? Doubt it. I still pull up to the pumps on the wrong side when driving the C5. All my other vehicles have the gas fill on the right.
Old 09-28-2012, 05:03 PM
Stew24
Pro

Received 174 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by John_R

Design wise the C7 lines flow better with the new tail lights design. just my personal opinion.
No doubt, when compared, the new lights on the new car belong!

Last edited by Stew24; 09-28-2012 at 05:06 PM.
Old 09-28-2012, 05:13 PM
Paulchristian
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by John T
I am very glad that jock did the round tail lights for us to compare.

Our resident guru " firstvettesoon " is doing incredible stuff just like MikeG37

My 2 cents : This long front, short rear that Ferrari is doing lot of lately doesn't do much for me but it appears that GM has tweaked that look and added good ole American "badass" to the equation and I am really liking it.
John, it seems as though you are correct. They seem to be mimicking the Ferrari F12 short rear deck. I am not a fan of that look typically...makes the car look stationwagon-like. The CTS coupe also has a very short rear deck and it looks pretty funky (I like the 4 door CTS much better).

I hope the rear doesn't appear so short in person. I think it just might be the angle of the latest CAD picture that is making it seem so short...I don't notice it on the camo photos.

Quick Reply: Round Tail Lights