C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Soooooo, I thought what we see on the interent is not the real thing???

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2012, 02:09 PM
John T
Melting Slicks

Received 267 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueOx
Welburn will be eating his words in everyone's opinion because a CAD that came from GM came on here. They wouldn't be removing it if it wasn't what "crossed his desk".
In this "realtime" world , removing the CAD just brings more attention to it.. This is what I call cheap advertising !
Old 09-28-2012, 02:14 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by John T
In this "realtime" world , removing the CAD just brings more attention to it.. This is what I call cheap advertising !
True that. Maybe that is the plan but I doubt it. He doesn't care about the Jalopnik images but I am sure someone at GM is highly POed that a matching CAD file has made it out the door and Welburn has to answer to someone that it did.

Either that or it is the strangest marketing ploy GM has ever pulled.
Old 09-28-2012, 02:29 PM
Bandit's C4
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Central PA Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Devil's advocate here...

What is predicting the body shape? The 3D images?
Since the evolution of 3D software; many versions of prototypes start in the computer.
Can't imagine the sheer numbers or revisions or the number of drawings been scratched just on the concept cars...

What we might be seeing is a 'discontinued' early mule - for your eyes and rumor fodder only.
The recent round-up of images off the server (if they are GM property) does not confirm the accuracy nor the intent to use in the final production.

And the final question - the Jalopnik images.
What leaves the impression that the images found are the final version?

Since the days of muscle cars - corporate misinformation is a common ploy during new developments.

Just not holding my breath on this one.
Old 09-28-2012, 02:34 PM
sajonf
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We have seen Omega cranking out molds that look exactly like this. Granted, the outside details such as the shape of the taillight lenses could be different but the CAD drawings are the real deal
Old 09-28-2012, 02:42 PM
Beach
Safety Car

Received 50 Likes on 16 Posts

If the C7 looks bad as the renderings, I'm going to find a leftover ZR1 or 427 vert!
Old 09-28-2012, 04:51 PM
JLinCA
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Jinx
Sounds like gloating to me. Or, once again, interpreting comments made by GM reps (including dealers) in the most expansive way possible and attributing statements to them that they didn't actually make.

Welburn won't eat any words. He's carefully chosen words that are technically true. That's part of his job as a spokesman.

We have seen the real C7 but only in camouflage and not with every detail (taillights) under that camouflage in undisguised production form. We have seen renderings and illustrations that in all likelihood are mostly correct.

We have not seen the real C7 without camouflage. This is technically true, and every comment from every dealer and GM spokesperson will ride this technicality right into the official reveal. If a real C7 sans camouflage breaks cover before then, they'll just dodge until the official reveal.

There is no "in your face" here, nothing to get puffed up about.

.Jinx
You want to see gloating, go right ahead, it doesn't matter much to me either way. I take what people say at face value, I don't read things into them. Bottom line is, specific comments were made that were blatantly not true. And I didn't say anything about anyone eating their words.

We ARE seeing the C7 on the internet, and it's the same one that crossed Ed's desk. You want to say that we haven't seen anything because we haven't seen every crease in the bodywork, be my guest. That doesn't change the fact that 95% of what we have seen will be on that car.
Old 09-28-2012, 05:12 PM
burtonbl103
Team Owner

Received 597 Likes on 177 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08 & '12-'13

Alo Rick Conti is a great guy have bout from him before and will be ording My c7 from him aswell.

I just think Gm is tying some serious hands here

and that other Corvetee forum Digital corvetets still has all the pics up ?
Old 09-28-2012, 08:01 PM
Ken Fichtner
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 23 Posts
Cruise-in I Veteran
Cruise-in II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

Please don't put words in my mouth.

Here's what I said:
"I was in the meeting in Las Vegas. All I can say is WOW! The C7 is not what you are seeing on the internet. Mr Welborn presented the C7 and he was quick to note that nothing you are seeing on the internet would ever clear his desk."

As noted by Rick, we are not allowed to share any solid information.

I made no mention of anything specific that has appeared on the internet and never made mention of Jalopnik.

The new C7 is an exciting and all new model.

We will all know more as soon as Chevrolet releases the information.

In the meantime we are selling C6s as fast as they arrive and we are confident that we will have a nice selection of available C7s next year.
Old 09-28-2012, 08:22 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

Originally Posted by Ken Fichtner

Here's what I said:
"I was in the meeting in Las Vegas. All I can say is WOW! The C7 is not what you are seeing on the internet. Mr Welborn presented the C7 and he was quick to note that nothing you are seeing on the internet would ever clear his desk."

I made no mention of anything specific that has appeared on the internet and never made mention of Jalopnik.

In the meantime we are selling C6s as fast as they arrive and we are confident that we will have a nice selection of available C7s next year.
And there it is.

Ken is a great member of the Corvette community (as is Rick Conti).
If you guys want to IGNORE (OR TWIST) what Ken says (from Ed Welburn's presentation to DEALERS), that's your choice. Call the man a liar (which is EXACTLY what you're doing, and shockingly BAD FORM), he has SEEN the C7, NONE of you guys have, and to make the implication that Ken (and Rick) are being GM "homers", frankly, pisses me off. BTW, I have not bought a car from either gentleman, I do appreciate their enthusiasm, and both deserve BETTER than all this needle d**k monday morning quarterbacking that is going on. Ken and Rick are real, live folks that can be reached via telephone/email. All these other people, with all these CAD files/insider info....as far as I know, they are 14 year olds with too much time on their hands.

Jimmy

Last edited by jimmyb; 09-28-2012 at 11:19 PM.
Old 09-28-2012, 08:34 PM
vette4jr
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by Ken Fichtner

Here's what I said:

Anyone read those words? Where's Jalopnik / JLinNY now?????

Game. Set. Match.

Last edited by vette4jr; 09-28-2012 at 08:45 PM.
Old 09-28-2012, 09:53 PM
ByByBMW
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 536 Likes on 279 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'08-'10-'11-'12-'13 '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Originally Posted by jimmyb
And there it is.

Ken is a great member of the Corvette community (as is Rick Conti).
If you guys want to IGNORE (OR TWIST) what Ken says (from Ed Welburn's presentation to DEALERS), that's your choice. Call the man a liar (which is EXACTLY what you're doing, and shockingly BAD FORM), he has SEEN the C7, NONE of you guys have, and to make the implication that Ken (and Rick) are being GM "homers", frankly, pisses me off. BTW, I have not bought a car from either gentleman, I do appreciate their enthusiasm, and both deserve BETTER than all this needled**k monday morning quarterbacking that is going on. Ken and Rick are real, live folks that can be reached via telephone/email. All these other people, with all these CAD files/insider info....as far as I know, they are 14 year olds with too much time on their hands.

Jimmy
Old 09-28-2012, 10:53 PM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by JLinNY
You want to see gloating, go right ahead, it doesn't matter much to me either way. I take what people say at face value, I don't read things into them. Bottom line is, specific comments were made that were blatantly not true. And I didn't say anything about anyone eating their words.
Which comments ere made that were batantly not true, at the time they were said? Be specific. I think you will find that they were true statements.

We ARE seeing the C7 on the internet, and it's the same one that crossed Ed's desk.
Where are we seeing it? We've seen a CAD-style render of a butt -- well after Ed Welburn's comment, so it doesn't count. Of course it's not of the whole car anyway.

So where are we seeing it? We've seen camouflaged cars. The recent spate of photos is also well after Ed Welburn's comment, so they don't count either. Of course we still can't see the whole car in those photos, so we haven't seen C7.

So where are we seeing it? Jalopnik and Trinity renderings and magazine derivatives? If each has just one thing wrong with it, then Ed Welburn has told the truth.

Is he getting by on technicalities? Of course!

You want to say that we haven't seen anything because we haven't seen every crease in the bodywork, be my guest.
I'm not saying that at all.

That doesn't change the fact that 95% of what we have seen will be on that car.
And yet you haven't quite seen the car yet. Is it 95%? And which 95%?

The devil's in the details. We're not there yet.

.Jinx
Old 09-28-2012, 10:59 PM
Rapid Fred
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,318 Likes on 757 Posts

Originally Posted by vette4jr
Anyone read those words? Where's Jalopnik / JLinNY now?????

Game. Set. Match.
Huh?

I read those words. They are carefully chosen to mean whatever you want to believe they mean. I am not calling either of these solid business people liars, because I do not believe they are. I don't see where anybody else is either. However, I believe what we have all seen leaves very little doubt as to the styling theme and general look of the C7. To think otherwise is ignoring a veritable mountain of credible evidence, anchored by the camo cars.

Game, set, and match? I don't think so.

Quick Reply: Soooooo, I thought what we see on the interent is not the real thing???