C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Soooooo, I thought what we see on the interent is not the real thing???

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2012, 01:03 AM
JLinCA
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Soooooo, I thought what we see on the interent is not the real thing???

Anyone remember those words? Where's Ken Fitchner now?????
Old 09-28-2012, 01:08 AM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

It's a little early to gloat.
Old 09-28-2012, 01:09 AM
McGirk94LT1
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Heck with him specifically. I anxiously await the mud slinging between Jalopnik and GM when they remind GM how many times they said "they only wish they had seen it." And with the language used in Jalop's return letter to GM's denial, it'll be ugly. It shall be glorious! Completely unprofessional I bet, but full of lolz.
Old 09-28-2012, 01:13 AM
JLinCA
Drifting

Originally Posted by Jinx
It's a little early to gloat.
Not gloating at all jinx. I just thought it was comical the comments Ken said, and what supposedly came from Welburn.

Now you are not saying that we haven't seen the real C7, are you???? Where's Joesc5 when we need him hahaha
Old 09-28-2012, 07:24 AM
jb_va2001
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
DC Area Events Coordinator

It's called a "red herring."
Old 09-28-2012, 08:06 AM
RickConti@Coughlin
Safety Car

Received 1,554 Likes on 557 Posts

we as dealers are not allowed to share or discuss the C7 during this embargoed period. I was forced to remove everything off my site, and that's ok.

http://www.corvetteconti.com/blog/?p=16515

To properly represent and move forward, I support this. It's to easy for someone (as it has happened, I have been watching) to state certain info without being announced from GM and simply causing mass confusion....because they are wrong.

My statement is in link above and thumbs up to the current and NEW Corvette....you guys will love it. Lets not forget the amazing value and the great job GM has done on the C6;

...so much so, I hate to see this one go.

Old 09-28-2012, 08:12 AM
I Bin Therbefor
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really, really wish those who have a financial interest in the success of the C7 would stop telling me how I'm going to respond to the C7.
Old 09-28-2012, 08:21 AM
69L79
Le Mans Master

Location: Hamilton Square NJ, Ocean City N. J. Key Biscayne Fla.
Received 849 Likes on 383 Posts

OK, what am I missing re: Ken Fichner?
Old 09-28-2012, 08:28 AM
sajonf
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 89L98
OK, what am I missing re: Ken Fichner?
He said something along the lines of what we were seeing with the Jalopnik rendering was not the C7 and that Welbourn said at the Vegas show that there is no way what we are seeing on the internet would have ever made it past his desk
Old 09-28-2012, 08:35 AM
BlueOx
Race Director

If GM were doing any kind of a good job of leaking a bit of hard info to 'feed the beast' we might not have the the ravenous doggy-style search for red meat.

GM is putting good Corvette guys like Rick Conti and Ken Fitchner in a tough position with their clearly poor 'security' measures. I'm sure Ken was just repeating what Welburn said.
Old 09-28-2012, 08:36 AM
69L79
Le Mans Master

Location: Hamilton Square NJ, Ocean City N. J. Key Biscayne Fla.
Received 849 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by sajonf
He said something along the lines of what we were seeing with the Jalopnik rendering was not the C7 and that Welbourn said at the Vegas show that there is no way what we are seeing on the internet would have ever made it past his desk

OK, Thanks.
Old 09-28-2012, 08:45 AM
c54u
Melting Slicks

Received 682 Likes on 475 Posts

Originally Posted by I Bin Therbefor
I really, really wish those who have a financial interest in the success of the C7 would stop telling me how I'm going to respond to the C7.
Exactly!!!
Old 09-28-2012, 08:48 AM
BlueOx
Race Director

Originally Posted by sajonf
I have a feeling there is going to be some 'eating of words' by Mr. Welburn but I will say that there may be some parts that we have not seen and will not see til the reveal.

I do not blame GM for trying to keep their CAD files out of the public view. It is certainly their right to protect their key strategic internal info. Spy shots are a totally different thing.
Old 09-28-2012, 08:49 AM
sajonf
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueOx
I have a feeling there is going to be some 'eating of words' by Mr. Welburn but I will say that there may be some parts that we have not seen and will not see til the reveal.

I do not blame GM for trying to keep their CAD files out of the public view. It is certainly their right to protect their key strategic internal info. Spy shots are a totally different thing.
I absolutely agree with everything you just said
Old 09-28-2012, 08:50 AM
fyreline
Supporting Lifetime
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,268 Likes on 508 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Unmodified
2021 C1 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2016 C1 of the Year Finalist

I think we have seen enough on this and other forums to have a pretty good idea of what the C7 Corvette will look like. No, we don't have all the details, and some minor things may yet change before the car is actually introduced . . . but I'm willing to bet that the original Jalopnik rendering is pretty damned close. Yes, the car will definitely "look" different in person as opposed to the renderings and camo'ed prototypes we have seen, but the cat is out of the bag, folks.

You will all have to decide for yourselves, as I will, whether you like the new car or not. I don't like all of what I've seen so far (especially the rear end), but I'm going to reserve final judgement until I see the actual car. The things that I really DO like may outweigh the ones I don't. I hadn't really planned on getting a first-year C7 anyway, more likely a 2015. We'll see. My "Plan B" is to get a really nice C1 driver instead, and I've already started looking.
Old 09-28-2012, 09:12 AM
John T
Melting Slicks

Received 267 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by fyreline
I think we have seen enough on this and other forums to have a pretty good idea of what the C7 Corvette will look like. No, we don't have all the details, and some minor things may yet change before the car is actually introduced . . . but I'm willing to bet that the original Jalopnik rendering is pretty damned close. Yes, the car will definitely "look" different in person as opposed to the renderings and camo'ed prototypes we have seen, but the cat is out of the bag, folks.

You will all have to decide for yourselves, as I will, whether you like the new car or not. I don't like all of what I've seen so far (especially the rear end), but I'm going to reserve final judgement until I see the actual car. The things that I really DO like may outweigh the ones I don't. I hadn't really planned on getting a first-year C7 anyway, more likely a 2015. We'll see. My "Plan B" is to get a really nice C1 driver instead, and I've already started looking.
Fyre, plan B: C1 -nice driver = oxymoron
Old 09-28-2012, 11:59 AM
JustinStrife
Team Owner

Received 96 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by John T

Get notified of new replies

To Soooooo, I thought what we see on the interent is not the real thing???

Old 09-28-2012, 12:04 PM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by JLinNY
Not gloating at all jinx. I just thought it was comical the comments Ken said, and what supposedly came from Welburn.

Now you are not saying that we haven't seen the real C7, are you???? Where's Joesc5 when we need him hahaha
Sounds like gloating to me. Or, once again, interpreting comments made by GM reps (including dealers) in the most expansive way possible and attributing statements to them that they didn't actually make.

Welburn won't eat any words. He's carefully chosen words that are technically true. That's part of his job as a spokesman.

We have seen the real C7 but only in camouflage and not with every detail (taillights) under that camouflage in undisguised production form. We have seen renderings and illustrations that in all likelihood are mostly correct.

We have not seen the real C7 without camouflage. This is technically true, and every comment from every dealer and GM spokesperson will ride this technicality right into the official reveal. If a real C7 sans camouflage breaks cover before then, they'll just dodge until the official reveal.

There is no "in your face" here, nothing to get puffed up about.

.Jinx
Old 09-28-2012, 01:03 PM
fyreline
Supporting Lifetime
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,268 Likes on 508 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Unmodified
2021 C1 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2016 C1 of the Year Finalist

I've owned several C1's, and they can be a very nice driver indeed. And any one of them looks better to me right now than what I'm seeing of the C7.

Last edited by fyreline; 09-28-2012 at 01:07 PM.
Old 09-28-2012, 02:05 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Originally Posted by Jinx
Sounds like gloating to me. Or, once again, interpreting comments made by GM reps (including dealers) in the most expansive way possible and attributing statements to them that they didn't actually make.

Welburn won't eat any words. He's carefully chosen words that are technically true. That's part of his job as a spokesman.

We have seen the real C7 but only in camouflage and not with every detail (taillights) under that camouflage in undisguised production form. We have seen renderings and illustrations that in all likelihood are mostly correct.

We have not seen the real C7 without camouflage. This is technically true, and every comment from every dealer and GM spokesperson will ride this technicality right into the official reveal. If a real C7 sans camouflage breaks cover before then, they'll just dodge until the official reveal.

There is no "in your face" here, nothing to get puffed up about.

.Jinx
Welburn will be eating his words in everyone's opinion because a CAD that came from GM came on here. They wouldn't be removing it if it wasn't what would "clear his desk".

Last edited by BlueOx; 09-28-2012 at 08:42 PM. Reason: correcting a quote

Quick Reply: Soooooo, I thought what we see on the interent is not the real thing???