Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C7 "z51"?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 10:12 AM
Suns_PSD
Le Mans Master

Received 408 Likes on 301 Posts

If you had a car that did a track day every month, would a guy want Magnetic Ride control? How much more do the struts cost to replace? How much weight does it add to the vehicle? When they are turned to the stiff setting, do they perform as well as a quality set of coilovers?

What did the Z51 package come w/?

Any gearing differences between the different models?

I want the baddest NA C7 I can get. Will I have no choice but to wait for 2-3 years to see if a Z06 is going to get released in a C7? If a larger displacement, dry sump, titanium rod and valves having, lowered, forged wheels having version is going to be released I HAVE to have THAT version.

Sorry 'bout all of the random questions.
Old 10-22-2012, 10:28 AM
ZL-1
Safety Car

Received 184 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmyb
I don't know about a "Z51" package but I think that the evolution of the C6 was more RE-active than Active. It is my belief that when the C6 was released, there were to be 2 cars....the base car (in coupe and convertible) and the Z06. The ZR1 was, according to Rick Wagner, the response to the question: "The Z06 is this good, what can be done for $100K?" and I believe that question was posed atleast 18 months after the C6 was on sale. The GS was an obvious thing to do, since so many folks were making "GS's" with Z06 parts anyway. I certainly don't think that at the Detroit show in January 2004, Dave Hill had ANY idea that there would be a ZR1/GS (and certainly NO 427 convertible) in the C6 lineup.

Jimmy

And if they don't call the C7 performance package "Z51" they could call it "Z52" - That was the option code they used back in the C4 days when they added electronically adjustable shocks to the Z51 performance package.
Old 10-22-2012, 10:30 AM
Racer X
Le Mans Master

Received 4,375 Likes on 2,066 Posts

Originally Posted by Suns_PSD
......I want the baddest NA C7 I can get. Will I have no choice but to wait for 2-3 years to see if a Z06 is going to get released in a C7? If a larger displacement, dry sump, titanium rod and valves having, lowered, forged wheels having version is going to be released I HAVE to have THAT version.

Then why on earth would you want a 2+2? That is the polar opposite of what you are asking for above.
Old 10-22-2012, 10:39 AM
Suns_PSD
Le Mans Master

Tell that to a GTR owner...or a 911 Turbo owner.

I guess I don't get the connection between only having 2 seats and a car being SO much more racy and capable of performing.

I hate to break it to you but many well set up 4 seat cars stalk and pass Z06s at the race track. Adding 20# of back seats doesn't make a car appreciably slower.

Last edited by Suns_PSD; 10-22-2012 at 10:43 AM.
Old 10-22-2012, 11:14 AM
Racer X
Le Mans Master

Tell that to a GTR owner...or a 911 Turbo owner.

I guess I don't get the connection between only having 2 seats and a car being SO much more racy and capable of performing.

I hate to break it to you but many well set up 4 seat cars stalk and pass Z06s at the race track. Adding 20# of back seats doesn't make a car appreciably slower.
You keep ignoring where the gas tanks are in a Corvette. Your 2+2 Corvette should be very fast without the added weight of gas tanks.

And yes the fast versions of the Porsche like the GT2 do not have the back seats. So I guess even the almighty Porsche agrees with me.
Old 10-22-2012, 11:17 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

If you had a car that did a track day every month, would a guy want Magnetic Ride control? How much more do the struts cost to replace? How much weight does it add to the vehicle? When they are turned to the stiff setting, do they perform as well as a quality set of coilovers?

What did the Z51 package come w/?

Any gearing differences between the different models?

I want the baddest NA C7 I can get. Will I have no choice but to wait for 2-3 years to see if a Z06 is going to get released in a C7? If a larger displacement, dry sump, titanium rod and valves having, lowered, forged wheels having version is going to be released I HAVE to have THAT version.

Sorry 'bout all of the random questions.
I doubt if we will see a "badest NA C7". Most likely a base small displacement(5.5L?????) NA engine with around 450 HP and an optional supercharged engine.
Old 10-22-2012, 11:24 AM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Racer X
You keep ignoring where the gas tanks are in a Corvette.
You mean where they HAVE BEEN. Remember, if we believe Mr. Juechter, that the C7 has a NEW gas tank (or tanks) and it (or they) may be in a completely different location/arrangement.
Old 10-22-2012, 11:55 AM
John T
Melting Slicks

Received 267 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Racer X
You keep ignoring where the gas tanks are in a Corvette. Your 2+2 Corvette should be very fast without the added weight of gas tanks.

And yes the fast versions of the Porsche like the GT2 do not have the back seats. So I guess even the almighty Porsche agrees with me.
I am making it official that I have given up on a 2+2 C7 . I spoke to my guy at the mega Corvette store and he said "it ain't gonna happen" and I trust he knows and has no reason to lie.
I can't pull the trigger on a 911 because I am just tired of looking at them for 50 years.
I will have my daughter follow my C7 in the Prius at all times just in case I need more room.
Old 10-22-2012, 12:19 PM
TractionControlOff
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by TonyCool
If that's the case... I hope they get the base model body right from the start. It would be cool if the base model is equivalent to what the GS is for the C6. A wider better looking version.

I'm with you there, but isn't the whole point (or one of the main goals) of the C7 to not be as wide as the C6?
Old 10-22-2012, 01:11 PM
Suns_PSD
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by John T
I am making it official that I have given up on a 2+2 C7 .
Agreed.

Wanting something to happen and it actually happening are two very different things after all.

The bummer is that all of the 'insider info' posted earlier would just be a guess if the 2 + 2 portion isn't correct also. I mean some one either knew the real story, or didn't. There is no real in between on that. Just a bunch of ideas w/ no basis which would be a shame because based on that description (which was so specific at times) I was really excited to see/ drive/ buy the C7.
Old 10-22-2012, 02:20 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

I am making it official that I have given up on a 2+2 C7 . I spoke to my guy at the mega Corvette store and he said "it ain't gonna happen" and I trust he knows and has no reason to lie.
I can't pull the trigger on a 911 because I am just tired of looking at them for 50 years.
I will have my daughter follow my C7 in the Prius at all times just in case I need more room.
That is funny.
Like AWD, I am of the opinion that any 2X2 seating would be in a separate model or some optional setup, if at all.
Old 10-22-2012, 02:30 PM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

Add me to the list of folks hopeful for a Z51.
Old 10-22-2012, 02:36 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Originally Posted by Jinx
Add me to the list of folks hopeful for a Z51.
Z51 model or just the bits and pieces?

I think GM will be putting better bits and pieces into the base C7.

My testing of C6 Z51s always had me skipping in hard cornering with anything but the smoothest corners.
Old 10-22-2012, 05:13 PM
Racer X
Le Mans Master

That is the best idea. As an added benefit, you would have 4WD...... of course 2 of the driving wheels would be on another car..... But hey that is a minor thing.

Old 10-22-2012, 05:23 PM
ZL-1
Safety Car

Received 184 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueOx
That is funny.
Like AWD, I am of the opinion that any 2X2 seating would be in a separate model or some optional setup, if at all.

When a prospective Corvette customer mentions 2+2 the salesman is supposed to walk him over to a Camaro. GM has been trying to streamline and reduce the excess number of models in their lineup.
Old 10-22-2012, 05:33 PM
Outlaw7
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Agreed about the 2+2 and I have a Prius that would be just right for the job. Personally, I don't even remember the last time I needed more than two seats, but it had to have been 20 or 25 years ago.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:24 PM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by steel_3d
I think the OP somewhat confused the discussion by missing the point of the Z51 RPO (as afvette corrected). Z51 is not a model, it's simply a track ready package on the base model. It was never really marketed, as far as I can tell. If you're a track guy, you'll tick the Z51 option. It was extremely reasonably priced on the C6, IMO. It's necessary so you don't end up with the same wallowy cruiser that your aunt would want to drive. It may overheat on track, and be no fun, besides missing out on some of the driving dynamics. The z51 really is track ready. Oil temps can get a bit high in the desert heat, but otherwise it's been a home run for me and allowed me to avoid doing any mods. I enjoy the way a car just works out of the factory.

Even if magnetic shocks become standard and body roll is controlled, there's still the other parts that need to be made track ready (brakes, cooling, gearing), so Z51 is still relevant..

Anyways, I think the z51 option is one of the best things about the Vette, and I would think twice about plunking down the cash on a c7 if GM dropped it. I don't think there's much chance of that. I'm quite sure it will be available on day one. I also hope they keep it a low cost option for guys like me, who don't care as much about "extra performance" as just having the car survive a track day without hassle. I feel that GM has really understood this need historically, and I doubt they'd forget.

Now if you want an in-between performance *model*, you want something like GS or Z06, and you won't see those on day one. For marketing and development reasons.
Huh ? ..................... '09 was the last year for the Z51 option on the C6
Old 10-22-2012, 10:15 PM
vette4jr
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

C6 Z51 option content:

"The optional Z51 Performance Package is a competition-ready system for the true performance enthusiast. It offers more aggressive dampers and springs, larger stabilizer bars, Goodyear Supercar tires with an asymmetrical tread pattern, and larger, cross-drilled brake rotors for outstanding handling performance that is still comfortable for daily driving. Beyond the suspension bits, the Z51 is a total system that takes the regular C6 to near-exotic levels of performance. It features gear ratios borrowed from the previous Corvette Z06 for maximum acceleration performance, and includes coolers added for the transmission and power steering systems for aggressive, track-oriented use. The result is a car that very nearly equals the Z06 in track performance - representing a tremendous value."

I do believe we will see a Z51 RPO for the C7. Not dissing MSRC, but i think from a marketing standpoint alone, you'll see it in the first couple of years - I can't believe they will only offer base and convertibles "as is" performance wise.

Last edited by vette4jr; 10-22-2012 at 10:22 PM.

Quick Reply: C7 "z51"?