C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C7 "z51"?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2012, 02:03 PM
69L79
Le Mans Master

Location: Hamilton Square NJ, Ocean City N. J. Key Biscayne Fla.
Received 849 Likes on 383 Posts

Default C7 "z51"?

So, what do you think? Will we get a a "Z51" like option with the C7, i.e, performance between the base and whatever the "monster" will be? Similar to the spot that the GS currently occupies. Any comments/opinions?
Old 10-16-2012, 02:14 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It is clear Corvette has moved on from the Z51, especially suspension-wise. The MSRC has 'won' as the performance suspension of choice.
Old 10-16-2012, 02:22 PM
69L79
Le Mans Master

Location: Hamilton Square NJ, Ocean City N. J. Key Biscayne Fla.
Received 849 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueOx
It is clear Corvette has moved on from the Z51, especially suspension-wise. The MSRC has 'won' as the performance suspension of choice.

I know, just using "Z51" term as a point of reference. So, just the base and the "monster"?
Old 10-16-2012, 02:24 PM
1RedVettFor2
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No doubt they will put something out there but it may not be so much a Z51 option(I'm with Ox). You can bet in 3-4 years, maybe less, the base C7 will see a bump from its original HP. I just cant wait to see the dang thing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-16-2012, 02:46 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Heck, who knows?

Honestly, I think there could be a Z06 and a ZR1 (yeah, I know we hear there ain't gonna be one) but when, I have no idea. I just think there is too much history in those monikers. That StingRay thing is still out there too, I guess.

What I don't see happening is a 'base' and 'GS' having different bodies.
Old 10-16-2012, 03:03 PM
TonyCool
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Heck, who knows?

Honestly, I think there could be a Z06 and a ZR1 (yeah, I know we hear there ain't gonna be one) but when, I have no idea. I just think there is too much history in those monikers. That StingRay thing is still out there too, I guess.

What I don't see happening is a 'base' and 'GS' having different bodies.
If that's the case... I hope they get the base model body right from the start. It would be cool if the base model is equivalent to what the GS is for the C6. A wider better looking version.

And I'm with you I have a feeling there will be a high performance version at some point.

Last edited by TonyCool; 10-16-2012 at 08:59 PM.
Old 10-16-2012, 04:10 PM
Daekwan06
Safety Car

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

1) Yes. I believe there will be a "trackpack" suspension upgrade & extra track goodies package will be offered.

2) Also Yes. I believe the next-gen magnetic adjustable suspension will be capable of stiffening up the car to provide "Z51-like" performance when you want it.. and regular comfort when you dont.

3) Agreed there will be no "GS" model. The GS model was simply a way to get customers to pony up an extra $10k for the very popular widebody kit, bigger wheels & brakes.. instead of asking them to pay $25k extra for a Z06. Remember customers were making their own "GS" with Z06 parts.. so it was a genius decision to offer a GS package from the factory and it that paid off well in new sales. I think the C7 will have one body style only. And any Z06 version of it, will include things like carbon ceramic brakes & splitter/skirt/spoiler kits and the use of exotic materials in the hood/roof/fenders to save weight.

4) Lastly there will be no more ZR1. Simply was too expensive and didnt sell well enough to bring back.

Last edited by Daekwan06; 10-16-2012 at 04:15 PM.
Old 10-16-2012, 06:40 PM
Flex182
Burning Brakes

Received 176 Likes on 87 Posts

I believe we will see a base model that is equivelant to the current GS..Not as wide though, but with better all around performance Brembo brakes , Better suspension. Lighter weight , Michelin tires, more sleek smaller design ect. ect.. And I believe the Z06 will make its way back a year or two later as the Superior bigger brother to the base model as an all around track/street monster, because it was and is still so popular and probably with even more upgrades. I see 700 HP. in the future.hehe.. I also agree with DAEKWAN06 that the Zr1 will be history.

Last edited by Flex182; 10-16-2012 at 06:43 PM.
Old 10-16-2012, 11:50 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

I don't know about a "Z51" package but I think that the evolution of the C6 was more RE-active than Active. It is my belief that when the C6 was released, there were to be 2 cars....the base car (in coupe and convertible) and the Z06. The ZR1 was, according to Rick Wagner, the response to the question: "The Z06 is this good, what can be done for $100K?" and I believe that question was posed atleast 18 months after the C6 was on sale. The GS was an obvious thing to do, since so many folks were making "GS's" with Z06 parts anyway. I certainly don't think that at the Detroit show in January 2004, Dave Hill had ANY idea that there would be a ZR1/GS (and certainly NO 427 convertible) in the C6 lineup.

Jimmy

Last edited by jimmyb; 10-16-2012 at 11:58 PM.
Old 10-17-2012, 12:10 AM
4xxk-C7-ZR7
Instructor

Originally Posted by Daekwan06
1) Yes. I believe there will be a "trackpack" suspension upgrade & extra track goodies package will be offered.

2) Also Yes. I believe the next-gen magnetic adjustable suspension will be capable of stiffening up the car to provide "Z51-like" performance when you want it.. and regular comfort when you dont.

3) Agreed there will be no "GS" model. The GS model was simply a way to get customers to pony up an extra $10k for the very popular widebody kit, bigger wheels & brakes.. instead of asking them to pay $25k extra for a Z06. Remember customers were making their own "GS" with Z06 parts.. so it was a genius decision to offer a GS package from the factory and it that paid off well in new sales. I think the C7 will have one body style only. And any Z06 version of it, will include things like carbon ceramic brakes & splitter/skirt/spoiler kits and the use of exotic materials in the hood/roof/fenders to save weight.

4) Lastly there will be no more ZR1. Simply was too expensive and didnt sell well enough to bring back.
I hope that magnetic adjustable suspension will be on all C7 corvette's, so every one and there "bro" can stop saying "the ride sux's".

I have a small list of thing's I think for sure will be with the C7 and one of them is a 100+k ZR1 like car. I think even with less than 2000 a year sales. It is needed to show the corvette can take cars like the 911, GTR, 458 and school them with a "stock" car right from GM.
Old 10-17-2012, 09:27 AM
BlueOx
Race Director

Originally Posted by 4xxk-C7-ZR7
I hope that magnetic adjustable suspension will be on all C7 corvette's, so every one and there "bro" can stop saying "the ride sux's".

I have a small list of thing's I think for sure will be with the C7 and one of them is a 100+k ZR1 like car. I think even with less than 2000 a year sales. It is needed to show the corvette can take cars like the 911, GTR, 458 and school them with a "stock" car right from GM.
If they want to keep the price down on the C7, they may still make MSRC an option. People who want to add a 'race' suspension would likely be better off without it. And lots of folks are still happy without MSRC, mostly because they don't know what they are missing.

Last edited by BlueOx; 10-17-2012 at 09:30 AM.
Old 10-17-2012, 09:27 AM
Suns_PSD
Le Mans Master

Received 408 Likes on 301 Posts

I recently speced out a ZO6 w/ some options but certainly not all, and it was listed as $90K MSRP. Maybe I'm just in the wrong income bracket but that seems quite expensive to me.

Truthfully, I'll be able to pay cash (how I buy all of my cars) for a slightly used C7 Z06 in 2-3 years, but not before. I want the car I want, but can't afford the depreciation on a $100K car.

I'm still super confused why some want the Vette to be more exclusive. It will always be a Corvette, even if it cost $180K. It will never be a Lambo, or a GT2, or a Bugatti even though it might turn faster lap times.

The Vette is American ingenuity at it's very finest. Any car company can make a great car at an unlimited cost. How close do you want to be to a Grand Prix car and how much do you have to spend? The real engineering is when a group of engineers successfully build something that is amazing in it's technical specifications, a fantastic performer, easy to work on and reliable, day to day usable, and at a reasonable cost.
Old 10-17-2012, 10:18 AM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

If there is going to be a performance suspension option what RPO code will GM assign to it. Seems Z51 is the likely choice. Far too many folks have gotten all worked up over this moniker, but remember what the Z51 started off as the suspension of choice for the Gymkhana/Autocross enthusiast pure and simple. Some where along the line this suspension RPO was turned into a "model" and like the say the rest is history.

So if there is going to be a base, middle and top dog suspension what will they be called? RPO Z51 can be applied to even a modified RPO F55 suspension. It's just an RPO Code that GM has used for decades.
Old 10-22-2012, 12:28 AM
steel_3d
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 17 Posts

I think the OP somewhat confused the discussion by missing the point of the Z51 RPO (as afvette corrected). Z51 is not a model, it's simply a track ready package on the base model. It was never really marketed, as far as I can tell. If you're a track guy, you'll tick the Z51 option. It was extremely reasonably priced on the C6, IMO. It's necessary so you don't end up with the same wallowy cruiser that your aunt would want to drive. It may overheat on track, and be no fun, besides missing out on some of the driving dynamics. The z51 really is track ready. Oil temps can get a bit high in the desert heat, but otherwise it's been a home run for me and allowed me to avoid doing any mods. I enjoy the way a car just works out of the factory.

Even if magnetic shocks become standard and body roll is controlled, there's still the other parts that need to be made track ready (brakes, cooling, gearing), so Z51 is still relevant..

Anyways, I think the z51 option is one of the best things about the Vette, and I would think twice about plunking down the cash on a c7 if GM dropped it. I don't think there's much chance of that. I'm quite sure it will be available on day one. I also hope they keep it a low cost option for guys like me, who don't care as much about "extra performance" as just having the car survive a track day without hassle. I feel that GM has really understood this need historically, and I doubt they'd forget.

Now if you want an in-between performance *model*, you want something like GS or Z06, and you won't see those on day one. For marketing and development reasons.
Old 10-22-2012, 05:57 AM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

Default Huh .................

Originally Posted by 4xxk-C7-ZR7
Oh my gosh, I hope not ................... The ride on my '11 is fine and it's a dd with over 34k on it since I bought it new last Aug. I don't want the added expense of shock replacement the "Mag " ride comes with when one blows out. Not unless GM will start including the shocks under the 100K warranty instead of the basic as they do now.
Old 10-22-2012, 07:36 AM
BlueOx
Race Director

Originally Posted by steel_3d
Anyways, I think the z51 option is one of the best things about the Vette, and I would think twice about plunking down the cash on a c7 if GM dropped it. I don't think there's much chance of that.
Last time I looked you can't even order the Z51 option. I think they dropped it when the GS arrived.
Old 10-22-2012, 07:40 AM
CPhelps
Drifting

Received 303 Likes on 173 Posts

Yep, it was more or less rolled into the GS package when that came out.

Get notified of new replies

To C7 "z51"?

Old 10-22-2012, 08:56 AM
BMWDAD
Instructor

I am worried about the cost of maintaining the mag suspension as the car ages.

Get the base suspension correct.
Old 10-22-2012, 09:05 AM
BlueOx
Race Director

Originally Posted by BMWDAD
I am worried about the cost of maintaining the mag suspension as the car ages.

Get the base suspension correct.
It just depends on your desires. If you like the base suspension, fine. But you will be buying new shocks sooner or later anyway. Yes, the MSRC shocks cost more but they are very hardy and very few people here have reported having to replace them.
Old 10-22-2012, 09:56 AM
BMWDAD
Instructor

It just depends on your desires. If you like the base suspension, fine. But you will be buying new shocks sooner or later anyway. Yes, the MSRC shocks cost more but they are very hardy and very few people here have reported having to replace them.
Thanks for the impute. All GM cars get some mighty great reviews with MSRC, WORLD CLASS REVIEWS!

Quick Reply: C7 "z51"?