Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hidden Storage

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 12:22 PM
truth.b
Drifting

Received 119 Likes on 91 Posts

Default What about aftermarket Nav & DVD setups ?

Quick Question ... How do you guys think the after-market electronics industry will handle this feature via nav/dvd/screen suppliers. For instance I have a Pioneer in my C6 and I know several people run double din Kenwood setups... do you all think these types of setups will become irrelevant going forward?
Old 01-18-2013, 12:22 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by sajonf
Perfect place for my concealed carry!!!
Maybe.

You'll need to do some testing (empty!) to see if you can place the gun in there and then retrieve it; without fumbling or pointing at yourself or pointing at your passenger. Not just once; but hundreds of times over the years including at night, when you're tired, distracted, etc.

Cars suck as gun-storage places; finding something that is secure, hidden, and safe to use; is really tough. I hope this one works.
Old 01-18-2013, 01:17 PM
VADanno
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I like to secure a holster in the seat pocket on the back of the passenger seat. Easy for right handers to reach behind the seat and slide it out. Not so good if there's a back seat and anyone sits back there. Second choice is in front of the drivers seat lower cushion. You just reach between your legs and grab your hardware!
Old 01-18-2013, 01:29 PM
c54u
Melting Slicks

Received 682 Likes on 475 Posts

Originally Posted by truth.b
Quick Question ... How do you guys think the after-market electronics industry will handle this feature via nav/dvd/screen suppliers. For instance I have a Pioneer in my C6 and I know several people run double din Kenwood setups... do you all think these types of setups will become irrelevant going forward?
My opinion is yes, they are going to disappear within the next few years. You are not going to fit anything aftermarket into the C7 and have it still look pretty much stock. They are becoming way too integrated with the complete electronics / monitoring of the vehicle. More and more units will be coming from the manufacturers that will allow you to extend your phone screen to the car screen and use it there (nav, phone, email, youtube,...anything you have loaded on your phone), and that will leave no reason for anything aftermarket.
Old 01-18-2013, 01:44 PM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Received 551 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by c54u
My opinion is yes, they are going to disappear within the next few years. You are not going to fit anything aftermarket into the C7 and have it still look pretty much stock. They are becoming way too integrated with the complete electronics / monitoring of the vehicle. More and more units will be coming from the manufacturers that will allow you to extend your phone screen to the car screen and use it there (nav, phone, email, youtube,...anything you have loaded on your phone), and that will leave no reason for anything aftermarket.
LOL that covers Video and Source only. What about the 99% which is sound quality?
Old 01-18-2013, 04:14 PM
c54u
Melting Slicks

Received 682 Likes on 475 Posts

Originally Posted by SBC_and_a_stick
LOL that covers Video and Source only. What about the 99% which is sound quality?
The poster was referring to NAV / DVD setups. Nothing about sound quality.

You want to put in an amp and speakers...go ahead.
Old 01-18-2013, 04:21 PM
rcallen484
Race Director

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by VADanno
I like to secure a holster in the seat pocket on the back of the passenger seat. Easy for right handers to reach behind the seat and slide it out. Not so good if there's a back seat and anyone sits back there. Second choice is in front of the drivers seat lower cushion. You just reach between your legs and grab your hardware!
Is that you David Lee Roth?
Old 01-18-2013, 10:31 PM
ekib
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think they'll just get rid of the hidden storage, and fill it with the guts of their head unit. I don't think they would change their entire design for one car.
Old 01-18-2013, 10:56 PM
Kreuzen
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Very cool
Old 01-18-2013, 11:05 PM
Zilla
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: All that glitters is Gold - Hockey Is CANADA'S game
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06

That is very cool
Old 01-18-2013, 11:09 PM
mattkilla2015
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Full of lol!
Old 01-19-2013, 05:27 AM
ChineseGoddess
Intermediate

Too bad the screen has to be down to access the USB. In my case, the screen will be down all the time. Use my iPad for music all the time.
Old 01-19-2013, 10:24 AM
ATC399
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 768 Likes on 395 Posts

Nice...some will forget what they put in there...lmmfao
Old 01-19-2013, 11:23 AM
slief
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I run a Pioneer in my C6 as well. I was wondering the same thing but to be honest, the factory head unit in the C7, it's features and the fact that it link's directly to the display in the instrument cluster so that things like radio presets, Nav info etc can be viewed right in front of the driver might just be enough to keep most of us from wanting to change it out.

The bigger question may be how easy it will be to add amps and swap speakers. In my case, that would likely be the way I would go. Especially given that the new setup in the C7 will be very smart phone friendly. It also integrates most features that you would get on an aftermarket nav setup. Things like Pandora for example. The one downside I can see is a lack of DVD support but that may be addressed by an add in plug and play component from GM. Truth is that I have never played a DVD in my C6 even though I have an AVIC Z120 in it.

I really like the fact that the infotainment system in the C7 can piggyback onto the screen in the gauge cluster. That in itself will make me want a factory Nav for the first time ever. Not that I use Nav much but when I do, having the turn by turn info right in front of me instead of to the side in the console will be real nice. I also wonder if the USB inputs can be used for a USB flash disk filled with MP3 files or maybe even video files. The videos may be a bit of a wish though. Then there are smart phone apps. Will it be able to stream video from an iPhone for example.

Really my comments and questions above should be addressed in a separate thread but you got me thinking.
Old 01-19-2013, 12:21 PM
-CM-
Melting Slicks

Received 64 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry/car
It is a common feature on cars with the touch screen. Some hinge out, the C7 just retracts. I wouldn't put anything there with the idea; no one knows, they do.
Right. It is cool, but it's not like it's super-secret. The button is right there.

Old 01-19-2013, 12:34 PM
slief
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by -CM-
Right. It is cool, but it's not like it's super-secret. The button is right there.

Man, that is really slick yet clean (minus the finger prints) looking! I can't get enough of it and really can't believe that will be standard on all C7's!
This is by far a huge departure from traditional base units in the Corvettes of yesterday. Thank you GM!

One question... What the hell happened to all the "Camaro ****" people??

Camaro owners could only wish their current car had such a nice setup!

Last edited by slief; 01-19-2013 at 12:36 PM.
Old 01-19-2013, 02:49 PM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ChineseGoddess
Too bad the screen has to be down to access the USB. In my case, the screen will be down all the time. Use my iPad for music all the time.
Your iPad doesn't have bluetooth?

100% of everything I do with my phone in my car is bluetooth. Voice calls, music streaming, video, etc. Why do you need to plug in your iPad?

And I'm quite sure they figured out an iPhone/iPod connection outside of that compartment. If not, "oops!" LOL

Get notified of new replies

To Hidden Storage

Old 01-19-2013, 02:56 PM
Stingray23
Le Mans Master

Received 603 Likes on 223 Posts

sweet!
Old 01-19-2013, 03:25 PM
ChineseGoddess
Intermediate

Originally Posted by SCM_Crash
Your iPad doesn't have bluetooth?

100% of everything I do with my phone in my car is bluetooth. Voice calls, music streaming, video, etc. Why do you need to plug in your iPad?

And I'm quite sure they figured out an iPhone/iPod connection outside of that compartment. If not, "oops!" LOL
The C7's will have Bluetooth? It's about damn time, if so.
Old 01-19-2013, 03:31 PM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ChineseGoddess
The C7's will have Bluetooth? It's about damn time, if so.
From what I understand, yes. It's something that is extremely important to me as well.

Quick Reply: Hidden Storage