Sponsored by:

My True Feelings (From the Heart) on the C7

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2013, 01:05 PM
hey32g
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Default My True Feelings (From the Heart) on the C7

I thought I'd post this here, since my wife is sick of hearing about it. I know you guys will understand me. You are my people!

I've been a car nut my entire life. And upon graduating from college in the late 80's VW introduced the Corrado. For whatever reason I fell in love with it and had to have it. I saved every penny I earned. I followed it's progress until it finally hit the showrooms. I bought the first one available in town. A little silver beauty. I loved that car and by the time it was all said and done owned two silver ones and a forest green one. The forest green was tastefully modified and won several trophies. The Corrado still is very special to me. I don't know why. Since then I've owned close to 30 sports cars including three Porsches and a few very potent RX7's, plus BMW's etc... My wife wants to form a support group for wives of guys like me (us). But none of those cars stirred my soul as much as that little VW did. I attributed my feelings to age.

I've had a love for Corvettes my entire life. At age 7, I could tell my parents the exact year of every one we saw on the road. I can still vividly remember the first time I ever saw a Corvette. It was a grey C2. I was at my cousins house in Dallas playing in the front yard when it drove by. It was a cool autumn day with the wind blowing through the trees and at about age 4, I was mesmerized. Later on it was the C3 and when I graduated from high school it was my dream car, but unfortunately out of my reach. I remember making my best friend stand in the cold rain for 30 minutes one time because I just had to stare at that silver '82. I had a silver Camaro. After that my love for them waned a bit, but they still held a special place in my heart. It's a vette! It's America's sports car!

About 3 years ago, a C6 Z06 really caught my eye, and I became an avid fan of Corvette Racing. My office has a Corvette Racing motif - 2 1/18 scale Corvette Racing diecasts sit on my desk, and a huge amount of my casual wardrobe has Jake somewhere on it. The car had become a near obsession. My intent was to buy one when my BMW lease expired. I finally decided to wait and see what the C7 looked like before pulling the trigger. During this long wait I had started to look seriously at the new Boxster S & 911. Even attended the Boxster unveiling at the dealership. I liked it, but thought, I don't know maybe I'm outgrowing this whole sports car thing. Maybe I'm just a Dad now. If so, that's fine with me.

That all changed last Sunday night when my kids and I tuned in online and that C7 rolled onstage. That same feeling of total adoration that I had for that little VW reappeared. I felt like I had been hit by lightning. Although I haven't seen it in person the C7 has made me a huge fan. It's such an exciting feeling to know without question what car I must have. God willing. The competitors aren't even a consideration to me. I'm sold. Maybe years from now I can look back and say I had three of those as well. I'll be happy with just one.

I'm looking forward to the day when I get to sit in my own yellow C7 with black rims (a la Corvette Racing). To make it even more special, they're auctioning off the first one today, which is my birthday. I can already tell this car is going to be special in my life. And now I'm back to saving every penny!
Old 01-19-2013, 01:39 PM
BobRBob
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 33 Posts

Old 01-19-2013, 01:42 PM
jazc4
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 01-19-2013, 01:45 PM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,681 Likes on 1,482 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

I have the same "gotta have it" feeling I had when I first saw a Torch Red C5 in 1997 roll into a local gas station. The strange thing is the first time I saw a Corvette was my uncle's C3 so perhaps I am destined to skip every Corvette generation and go with the "odd" numbered ones.

I'm thinking a Cyber Gray Z06 with the new carmel interior. I hope that's a color option when the high HP model comes out.
Old 01-19-2013, 01:56 PM
DaveFerrari458
Melting Slicks

Received 1,984 Likes on 935 Posts

Originally Posted by hey32g
I thought I'd post this here, since my wife is sick of hearing about it. I know you guys will understand me. You are my people!

I've been a car nut my entire life. And upon graduating from college in the late 80's VW introduced the Corrado. For whatever reason I fell in love with it and had to have it. I saved every penny I earned. I followed it's progress until it finally hit the showrooms. I bought the first one available in town. A little silver beauty. I loved that car and by the time it was all said and done owned two silver ones and a forest green one. The forest green was tastefully modified and won several trophies. The Corrado still is very special to me. I don't know why. Since then I've owned close to 30 sports cars including three Porsches and a few very potent RX7's, plus BMW's etc... My wife wants to form a support group for wives of guys like me (us). But none of those cars stirred my soul as much as that little VW did. I attributed my feelings to age.

I've had a love for Corvettes my entire life. At age 7, I could tell my parents the exact year of every one we saw on the road. I can still vividly remember the first time I ever saw a Corvette. It was a grey C2. I was at my cousins house in Dallas playing in the front yard when it drove by. It was a cool autumn day with the wind blowing through the trees and at about age 4, I was mesmerized. Later on it was the C3 and when I graduated from high school it was my dream car, but unfortunately out of my reach. I remember making my best friend stand in the cold rain for 30 minutes one time because I just had to stare at that silver '82. I had a silver Camaro. After that my love for them waned a bit, but they still held a special place in my heart. It's a vette! It's America's sports car!

About 3 years ago, a C6 Z06 really caught my eye, and I became an avid fan of Corvette Racing. My office has a Corvette Racing motif - 2 1/18 scale Corvette Racing diecasts sit on my desk, and a huge amount of my casual wardrobe has Jake somewhere on it. The car had become a near obsession. My intent was to buy one when my BMW lease expired. I finally decided to wait and see what the C7 looked like before pulling the trigger. During this long wait I had started to look seriously at the new Boxster S & 911. Even attended the Boxster unveiling at the dealership. I liked it, but thought, I don't know maybe I'm outgrowing this whole sports car thing. Maybe I'm just a Dad now. If so, that's fine with me.

That all changed last Sunday night when my kids and I tuned in online and that C7 rolled onstage. That same feeling of total adoration that I had for that little VW reappeared. I felt like I had been hit by lightning. Although I haven't seen it in person the C7 has made me a huge fan. It's such an exciting feeling to know without question what car I must have. God willing. The competitors aren't even a consideration to me. I'm sold. Maybe years from now I can look back and say I had three of those as well. I'll be happy with just one.

I'm looking forward to the day when I get to sit in my own yellow C7 with black rims (a la Corvette Racing). To make it even more special, they're auctioning off the first one today, which is my birthday. I can already tell this car is going to be special in my life. And now I'm back to saving every penny!
Very cool story!
Old 01-19-2013, 01:59 PM
Frankie2blue
Melting Slicks

Received 272 Likes on 144 Posts

I had that feeling when I first saw the C5 and I bought one. Then I had that same feeling but magnified when I saw the C6 ZO6 and I bought one of those. Neither of those two cars hit me like ths one has though. I am just waiting to see what they are going to do with the Z version. So far though, I really love the C7, that's for sure.
Old 01-19-2013, 02:01 PM
Deron
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Old 01-19-2013, 02:26 PM
m kraz
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Old 01-19-2013, 02:32 PM
Monkey D. Luffy
Race Director

Received 716 Likes on 472 Posts

Old 01-19-2013, 02:36 PM
Ursoboostd
Racer

Great story. I'm in love with the C7 also. We'll just have to see what the future holds.
Old 01-19-2013, 02:37 PM
chassed
Melting Slicks

Received 281 Likes on 205 Posts

Amen!
Old 01-19-2013, 02:37 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,939 Likes on 1,185 Posts

Glad you like it!

Old 01-19-2013, 02:52 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,447 Likes on 2,272 Posts

Old 01-19-2013, 02:55 PM
dbs1vette
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Then the designers hit the mark!!! I'm guessing once you drive it your head will agree with your heart.

Now if we can just quit hearing from the guys whose head and heart is stuck somewhere else!!!

I am waiting to see what the Z version does, but this "base" version is darn spiffy!!! I just need 600+ galloping ponies to match the looks!!! To get it to be as fast as it looks will probably take north of 750hp and I have a feeling we will see that version as well. Sweeeeeet!!
Old 01-19-2013, 03:56 PM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Received 346 Likes on 208 Posts

All I know, is the Corvette can certainly give you one thing those others can't.

The great experience in the Corvette corral at the ALMS races...rolling in, in the newest, baddest Corvette out. Then watching the most well supported team, while being part of the dominating fan base, only to go get back into that incredible machine that is only that incredible thanks in part to that racing team. You get to jump in, and drive off in one of the best performance cars on the market, not to mention for the money.

No boxter can do that...
Old 01-19-2013, 04:31 PM
Zr-1Mike00
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

An excellent story indeed.

And my feelings exactly. This new generation has ignited that inner burn, the desire, the want to own the newest generation of American Sports Car!

I know personally, the first Vette I saw was one of my fathers 36 that he has had over the years. I have grown up from sitting in a car seat in the passenger side of a Vette. To attending the MANY Corvette shows and NCRS events. The trips to Limerock in Connecticut to see the Parrot Racing team and their Corvette's race. And every stride passed at least one in the garage.

Now, finally owning my first at 23 a few months ago I too am saving my pennies to one day add to the stable a new C7. The more I see the more I want.
Old 01-19-2013, 04:35 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Great story, and I can definitely relate. I owned one of the very first Honda Accords in the U.S. in 1976, and in 1978 I bought an RX7 that was literally on the first shipment to dealers in the region. I've owned many cars that I became passionate about at first site.

Get notified of new replies

To My True Feelings (From the Heart) on the C7

Old 01-19-2013, 04:39 PM
road pilot
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,254 Likes on 817 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2016 C5 of Year Finalist

I know the feeling.
I went crazy for the C-1
Went nuts for the C2
Fell asleep C3 and C4
Went crazy again for the C5
Wake me up for the C6
And.....................................
Old 01-19-2013, 05:37 PM
Crossofiron
Drifting

Received 150 Likes on 50 Posts

Default wonderful!

Well written. This is what makes me a car nut.

Good for you man.
Old 01-19-2013, 06:07 PM
Wineldr
Heel & Toe

When I was 12 a buddy of mine and me were shoveling driveways for money. We went to one house where all the snow of the season had fallen and not been cleared. We literally had feet to shovel by hand. I remember like it was yesterday looking in the garage window of the house and saw a C2, and immediately fell in love. I said someday I will get a vette. Well life got in the way for the next 38 years, marriage, homes, kids and the vette had to wait. But last year I finally fulfilled my dream with a '12 grand sport 3lt. I knew the C7 was coming but did not want to wait another year to get my dream - no regrets!

But this C7 is the most complete, most beautiful car I have seen in my 51 years on this planet. I can rest assured each night that when my C6 reaches 3 years, I will be getting a C7 for fulfilling that dream phase II.

Quick Reply: My True Feelings (From the Heart) on the C7