Are you prepared for all the attention?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 04:48 PM
slief
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by St.Char
If they are gawking at your car from behind it, they will indeed ask you about your Camero
Only if they have a hard time deciphering shapes! Once the lights come on, the Corvette looks like no other car on the market from the rear. Matter of fact, I think had they gone with round lights, the C7 would have been easier to mistake for other cars, especially at night. The new tail light design has a very unique look at night as do the headlights.
Old 01-27-2013, 05:19 PM
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor

Location: Should this thoughtful, valuable contribution meet with no acknowledgement or 'thanks' this post----
Received 399 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by Daekwan06
I'm still amazed at the attention I get in my 6 year old '07 Coupe. While its never anything outrageous.. I've had my shares of waves, thumbs up, nice car shouts.. and the occassional picture taking.

These cars make you feel like a million bucks, while only spending a tiny fraction of that. And at the end of the day thats what really sets the Corvette apart from everything else. You get tons more bang for the buck, than any of its competitors. You can buy "more" car than the Vette.. you will spend ALOT more money to beat it.
When I first got mine a friend and I pulled up to the gate shack at one of the TPC private golf courses where neither one of us was a member...we just wanted to visit the pro shop and see if we could trick our way in. The guard looked at the car, and just waved us by!!! Damn, that felt good....
Old 01-27-2013, 05:40 PM
Mariano
Pro

Received 163 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by red2012
At the time i used to play bass for the Regents(the opening act) who did the original version of 'barbara ann'. At that concert there was Chubby Checker. 5 Satins. Del Vikings. Jay and the Americans, all those popular 60's bands that are now refereed to as 'oldies'. Don't forget most of all those guys just sang they used to hire musicians where ever they played. I played steady with the regents for two years in the n.y, area in that time. Of course i had nothing to do with the original recording as i must have been what a couple of years old when that came out. When they had a gig they called my band and we went and backed them up.
Great story....I'm sure you had a ball. However, I would characterize those "oldies" as 50s bands..not so much 60s.
Alfie
Old 01-27-2013, 05:47 PM
Flex182
Burning Brakes

Received 176 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by $$$frumnuttin'
You do realize when you get your C7 you will be bombarded with praise, awe, questions, picture requests, and on and on. You'll experience what movie and rock stars go through in life...it can get old quickly....not to mention the jealousy and possible hatred with its risks...just sayin'...maybe start preparing psychologically now. How will you handle all the attention? What are you going to do when you step out of Home Depot and encounter a crowd around your ride? I don't think I could ever let it out of my sight!
Have a Lamborghini Diablo in the Garage, I already know what this is like. At first it is cool, and you feel like a celebrity. I couldn't take that car anywhere without everyone bombarding me at gas stations ect. and you find yourself sitting near a window at the restaurant your eating at so you can keep an eye on the car. Its not a very relaxing experience. And yes it got very old. Not sure if the C7 will get that kind of attention. At first it may, but after people see 30,000 of them on the road in a couple of years that will cease.
Even my 09 C6 Z06 which I took to Cars and Coffee, did not get any attention once the guys in the Ferrari's and R8's ect. ect. started showing up. I was told that I had the fastest car there though, and I had to agree.
Old 01-27-2013, 05:54 PM
Supersonic 427
Le Mans Master

Received 1,649 Likes on 817 Posts

Most newly restyled cars, especially performance and sports cars like the Mustang, Camaro, Challenger and Corvette grab a whole lot of attention. I have had several new models of cars when they first debuted and the one that grabbed the most attention was the.....1986 Buick GN. That was the year that it was the quickest accelerating American car. I got the car in Dec. of '85 and you would think with the attention that car got, that I was driving a rare exotic!
Old 01-27-2013, 05:56 PM
Mariano
Pro

Received 163 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by red2012
Played bass for the opening act in the first ever great lawn concert in central park in 1973 called 'saturday in the park' 30 famous oldies acts but at the time they weren't that old. 100,000 people. I don't think any body here can beat that for attention. I was on every news outlet at 6pm every news paper you name it. Driving a c7 would be no big deal. It's something i will cherish forever.
Sounds like you had a blast. However, I wouldn't characterize those groups as 60s bands, rather more like 50s bands.
Alfie
Old 01-27-2013, 06:39 PM
red2012
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Alfie43
Sounds like you had a blast. However, I wouldn't characterize those groups as 60s bands, rather more like 50s bands.
Alfie
Some were 50's some were 60's. 'BARBARA ANN' came out in '61'. but imagine me this little skinny 17 year old playing with these heavy weights at the time in front of 100,000 people. Yea it was a blast!
Old 01-27-2013, 10:12 PM
petermj
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You do realize when you get your C7 you will be bombarded with praise, awe, questions, picture requests, and on and on. You'll experience what movie and rock stars go through in life...it can get old quickly....not to mention the jealousy and possible hatred with its risks...just sayin'...maybe start preparing psychologically now. How will you handle all the attention? What are you going to do when you step out of Home Depot and encounter a crowd around your ride? I don't think I could ever let it out of my sight!
You may want to consider buying a viper if you hope for all this attention
Old 01-28-2013, 01:28 AM
Aaron Keating
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You guys need to find one of these.... ...at one of my local restaurants....luckily it's always empty when I pull in.

Knowing my luck they'd just park infront of the vette and box me in
Old 01-28-2013, 11:52 AM
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor

Location: Should this thoughtful, valuable contribution meet with no acknowledgement or 'thanks' this post----
Received 399 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by Aaron Keating
Knowing my luck they'd just park infront of the vette and box me in
Old 01-28-2013, 12:16 PM
Process Black
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The attention is sometimes great, not so great.

After picking up my '05 in the fall of '04, I proved that having a new flashy sports car does make for a big fat bullseye in the eyes of law enforcement.

Having a perfect driving record, not once being pulled over, I was stopped 17 times in the first year. While 2 times were reasonable (no front plate/corvette tax) the other reasons ranged from tailgating invisible cars, being in the passing lane (even though I was passing slower traffic), driving with the CFNE "Wolfpack", swapping out a CD while at a red light (distracted driving?), the list goes on. Not once was there a speeding ticket.

I only received warnings except for the no front plate tickets and one for showing the officer the out of date insurance card instead of my new one.

ON THE BRIGHT SIDE!

I took my car up to Toronto for a wedding. When I was leaving the church, a group of children was gathered around the car but keeping their distance. They thought it was the batmobile. I had to promise a little girl that I would tell Batman that she said hello.

The gawks and stares the first year were pretty awesome. It also caught the eye of my future wife while she was on a date with a friend of mine.

Police interest aside, I can't wait to do that all over again.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:22 PM
Bill17601
AIR FORCE VETERAN
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 439 Likes on 196 Posts

I hope it does draw attention. I always need someone to hand me my walker after I get my body in the car.
Old 01-28-2013, 01:00 PM
prinzSD455
Safety Car

Received 110 Likes on 69 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Unmodified

The last time I had that much attention was when I got one of the first 93 Trans Am in my area. I still remember some of the comments and situations. The C4 still gets some attention and when the hood is up at the gas station, I get people coming over asking questions. The funniest one was a few weeks ago when someone came up and asked if it was fast. I guess he did not know early C4s are slow by todays standards.

The C7 will get annoying if the owner is not prepared for all the questions. They better know their stuff when the billions of questions are hurled towards them.

Quick Reply: Are you prepared for all the attention?