Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Corvette's Rival

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 09:03 PM
OJCrush08
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

New cars: Acura NSX, Caymen, Boxster "S" models, 911 4S, perhaps Jag F type supercharged.

This is really a trickier question than it may first appear since people look for so many different things in the toys they choose.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:11 PM
jackhall99
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by DaveFerrari458
You have no clue what you're talking about!!! Obviously you don't like the C7 but don't make ignorant comments.

In fact I see that most of your posts are negative in general towards everything. You seem to be suffering from depression or just a major Debbie Downer!!
Thanks for stating the obvious; texvette2 appears to be just another hater.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:18 PM
NevadaVette
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A Camaro with skinny tires.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:21 PM
jackhall99
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by Bill17601
Mustang...poor mans performance car... Do not tell me about Shelbys. I said Mustang..
Originally Posted by Bill17601
If that is your opinion I defend that. However the cost of a Corvette is more then the average family of four earns in a year. Or about 1/3 of the interest of my retirement account. Not cheap.
So if the C7 is too expensive and you like the Mustang as a good performing car, that is your choice and we defend that. However, the Mustang is NOT competition to the Corvette. As you say, it's a poor mans performance car, but it is not one of the world's top performing sports cars.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:47 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Originally Posted by texvette2
Mustang - the German, Italians British are far above a corvette. Corvette is
constantly trying to be like them and comparing itself to them, its a wannabe
I'm sorry yet I did want to say I had a good laugh when I read "the british" and then I remembered the 92 thousand dollar Jaguar automatic transmission only brand spanking new 510 hp small convertible they are about to release..

I love the fact Alfa Romeo is returning with its 70 grand 240hp 2000 lb 4C but really it does not compete..(I'm an old alfa fan from the 60's but still I could n't do it)

As far as the germans..? From a performance standpoint the 911S is close but it starts around 96 grand...so its more a boxster S competitor...I hear GM engineers believe that the boxster S is a wonderful driving machine if a bit less in the actual performance area than a corvette...even the boxster S can reach upwards of 90 grand loaded..ouch!

The japanese GTR is fast but that too is close to 100 grand..

The viper is awesome but also 98 grand...

Really the corvette outclasses its so called competition.. and at a better price..

The camaro zL1 is a competitor for the GT500 and out performs it on the track as well...

I enjoyed the conversation and the topic...as I often wonder what other sports cars I should consider before I buy my next sports car...

Thats why vettes are often considered old mens cars...Once you buy one..no matter how young you are...you tend to just keep buying the new corvette because no other sports car can really compete..(from a performance perspective and the perspective of sexy good looks...)

IMHO
Old 02-07-2013, 09:51 PM
SanDiegoBert
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CaptainChet
THIS IS!!!
The front end of that thing is almost as bad as the rear end of the C7.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:00 PM
Turbooo2u
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by RocketGuy3
Honestly, no one makes a car quite like the Corvette... It's strange when you think about it, but I don't think anyone else makes a car in the Corvette's price range with similar performance. The closest things would probably be the Viper or GT500.
The GT500 easily bests the straight-line performance of a similarly priced Corvette. It's close but the other way around. It's got 200+ more HP...impressive.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:07 PM
JJPonzini
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SanDiegoBert
The front end of that thing is almost as bad as the rear end of the C7.
I disagree. I saw one at NAIAS and it very nice looking. If it was the same price as the C7, it would be difficult to decide which to purchase.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:10 PM
AGFNTB
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Unicorns (neither exist)
Old 02-07-2013, 10:14 PM
Notch
Safety Car

Originally Posted by JoesC5
Most people that buy new Corvettes could care less if it pulls .92g's or 1.03 g's or 1.13g's. They could care less if it has a top speed of 186 MPH, 198 MPH or 205 MPH. They could care less if it runs the 1/4 in 12.3 seconds or 11.7 seconds or 11.3 seconds. What they do care about is the feeling they get when they walk into their garage and look at their new Corvette and the rush they feel when they goose it on the on ramp, to merge on the Interstate. Very few owners of new Corvettes will ever track their cars.

For the most part, it's the teenage bench racers that pour over the magazine's reading about the g's, the top speeds, the 1/4 mile, etc. The actual buyers of a new Corvette will feel a certain pride of ownership and not feel that he is John Force or Jeff Gordon because he has a powerful sports car.
Good post.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:18 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe aka - KODAK
GM designers have their head in the clouds, instead of designing a car as it's own, they consistantly try adding parts of other cars or out right copying designs to make the look. I guess it takes less time to copy something then make it it's own! Hell, they only had 7 years! Yes, no matter what they will always be someone that doesn't like it - OK.

The smarter of the 3 on Top Gear, said it best "GM, always gets close, but falls short at the end. It wouldn't take that much more effort to make the Corvette a true supercar, but history and GM have shown it won't happen."

It's the little things that could but won't be improved, but GM's attitude seems to be "take it or leave it."

I've seen threads wondering if GM is listen to the people on the forum that buy their cars, I don't think so, to many egos and Union BS @ GM.

I like the basic concept of the C7, but not the finished product, that isn't even finished yet. I surely WOULD NOT BUY THE BASE MODEL!
Spoken like someone who hasn't driven one yet.

The reality is that it takes a disproportionate amount of money to get incremental improvements. That is why the exotics cost so much more.

They can bellyache all they want about the Corvette being close but no cigar. But if everyone else is so damn smart then why doesn't any other manufacturer build a car that offers even remotely the amount of car for the money? The M3 is in my mind the closest competitor. Everyone simply has to decide for themselves what qualities are important though.

When I bought my Z06 I could have bought the M3 for the same money, but had a car that the Z06 would run off and leave in a straight line. Living where I do, straight line performance gets weighted differently than if I lived where there are a lot of tight, winding roads.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:21 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by OJCrush08
....This is really a trickier question than it may first appear since people look for so many different things in the toys they choose.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:31 PM
mksz51
Safety Car

Received 156 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by R&L's C6
For a guy like me who's not into any foreign car, there really isn't any...
I love my Vette and will own a C7 - but we've owned Toyota, Audi, BMW, Lexus, Mercedes also. To summarily dismiss anything foreign is a bit of a narrow perspective and you are overlooking many wonderful vehicles. As an example - and not a car - consider a midsize pickup. I have no need for a full size. So what do you have domestically? Ford Ranger - dead. Chevy Colorado? Really? Dodge Dakota - had one - terrible build quality. What do I have - Toyota Tacoma. Great truck, super reliability, and incredible resale value. My preference is to keep an open mind. The bottom line is if you are considering price the C7 has NO peers. It's a great value.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:35 PM
Telepierre
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,166 Likes on 1,253 Posts

Mid-level German Sports cars: 911S, M5, Audi R8
Entry level Italian Sports: Entry lambo, Entry Ferrari, Maserati
Mid level Japanese Sports ....
Old 02-07-2013, 10:38 PM
User 2623
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by WaxWeekly
The new Jaguar F-Type is probably a direct competitor.
Yes it is:
And it's a hybrid....
Has classic elegant styling
Rich interior
Starting at 64K+ for the basline Turbo V6 @ 360hp.

Should GM be worried?
Old 02-07-2013, 10:42 PM
mksz51
Safety Car

Received 156 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by matthewelle
Yes it is:
And it's a hybrid....
Has classic elegant styling
Rich interior
Starting at 64K+ for the basline Turbo V6 @ 360hp.

Should GM be worried?
No need to worry. Different market. At least a second slower 0-60. Chick car. No thanks.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:42 PM
arkus
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

yes

Get notified of new replies

To Corvette's Rival

Old 02-07-2013, 10:52 PM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,250 Likes on 706 Posts

Originally Posted by mksz51
I love my Vette and will own a C7 - but we've owned Toyota, Audi, BMW, Lexus, Mercedes also. To summarily dismiss anything foreign is a bit of a narrow perspective and you are overlooking many wonderful vehicles. As an example - and not a car - consider a midsize pickup. I have no need for a full size. So what do you have domestically? Ford Ranger - dead. Chevy Colorado? Really? Dodge Dakota - had one - terrible build quality. What do I have - Toyota Tacoma. Great truck, super reliability, and incredible resale value. My preference is to keep an open mind. The bottom line is if you are considering price the C7 has NO peers. It's a great value.
Possibly, but I like to think of it as patriotic. Too many fellow Americans unemployed, underemployed.... Yes, I know its global economy and a lot of the parts on American cars are made elsewhere and they are even assembled in Mexico

It's funny you bring up a midsize pickup because that's what I'm in the market for and I agree with you. I have been wrestling with my options I had read awhile back that GM was coming out with a new one soon, I believe it may already be out in Europe. I admit, I have eyed the Tacoma, it's on the radar if an American option doesn't come along soon....
Old 02-07-2013, 11:07 PM
Turbooo2u
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by jschindler
Spoken like someone who hasn't driven one yet.

The reality is that it takes a disproportionate amount of money to get incremental improvements. That is why the exotics cost so much more.

They can bellyache all they want about the Corvette being close but no cigar. But if everyone else is so damn smart then why doesn't any other manufacturer build a car that offers even remotely the amount of car for the money? The M3 is in my mind the closest competitor. Everyone simply has to decide for themselves what qualities are important though.

When I bought my Z06 I could have bought the M3 for the same money, but had a car that the Z06 would run off and leave in a straight line. Living where I do, straight line performance gets weighted differently than if I lived where there are a lot of tight, winding roads.
With all due respect, I don't know why people insist that no other car maker makes a car that can compete with a Vette for the price. Please take a recent copy of Road & Track and turn to their "road test summary" page. Now please compare the Vette GS listed to the Mustang Boss 302 Leguna Seca. Notice how the Ford equals the Vette in straight-line acceleration and BEATS it in braking and cornering, including the slalom. Then please notice the as-tested price: Vette GS-$72,130. Boss 302-$47,990. So yes, other car makers DO make cars with more bang-for-the-buck than the Vette. Thank you.
Old 02-07-2013, 11:33 PM
Telepierre
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,166 Likes on 1,253 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbooo2u
With all due respect, I don't know why people insist that no other car maker makes a car that can compete with a Vette for the price. Please take a recent copy of Road & Track and turn to their "road test summary" page. Now please compare the Vette GS listed to the Mustang Boss 302 Leguna Seca. Notice how the Ford equals the Vette in straight-line acceleration and BEATS it in braking and cornering, including the slalom. Then please notice the as-tested price: Vette GS-$72,130. Boss 302-$47,990. So yes, other car makers DO make cars with more bang-for-the-buck than the Vette. Thank you.
Good points and yes associating an absolute BFB to Corvette my be overbearing.

Conversely you know that the same GS can be had for 55ish and surpasses the 302 in other important performance attributes.

IMHO they are two different types of car and if we start doing the apples to oranges thing then I bring a 12K bike, smoke both and call it the best BFB...

Quick Reply: Corvette's Rival