Sponsored by:

Help Me Understand The Rear 1/4 panel Air Intakes

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2013, 10:20 PM
BlackHarleyMan
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
The convertible proves that the rear fender vents are not needed and are only a gimmick to give the car a "boy racer" look for the teenagers.
From what I've read, this is not an accurate statement. The convertible has the vents, but due to the space needed for the top to retract, the vents are located underneath the body just forward of the rear tires yet still exhaust by the rear tail lights.

Here is an article that backs this up:

"With the coupe and convertible engineered simultaneously—per chief engineer Tadge Juechter, the C7 was designed from the beginning as an open-top car—differences between the two body styles are minimal. The only change other than the soft-top is the elimination of the C6.R-style rear quarter-panel vents for the transmission (automatic and Z51) and differential coolers (Z51), which have been replaced by underbody air intakes."

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...#ixzz2OQ5MAwWj

R/Noland
Old 03-23-2013, 10:27 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackHarleyMan
From what I've read, this is not an accurate statement. The convertible has the vents, but due to the space needed for the top to retract, the vents are located underneath the body just forward of the rear tires yet still exhaust by the rear tail lights.

Here is an article that backs this up:

"With the coupe and convertible engineered simultaneously—per chief engineer Tadge Juechter, the C7 was designed from the beginning as an open-top car—differences between the two body styles are minimal. The only change other than the soft-top is the elimination of the C6.R-style rear quarter-panel vents for the transmission (automatic and Z51) and differential coolers (Z51), which have been replaced by underbody air intakes."

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...#ixzz2OQ5MAwWj

R/Noland
I was referring to the vents that are located on top of the rear fenders on the coupe and are obviously absent on the convertible. Thus my statement is accurate. If they re not needed on the convertible then they are not needed on the coupe. The coupe could have been designed, for the better, utilizing the same underbody air intakes that are found on the convertible. Or the same design found on the C5 and C6 could have been used. Just run the two cooling lines to the engine radiator and not have separate heat exchangers for the transmission and differential along with electric fans that are necessary with the C7's design. Just something else to go wrong.

Last edited by JoesC5; 03-23-2013 at 10:41 PM.
Old 03-23-2013, 10:41 PM
Rapid Fred
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,314 Likes on 754 Posts

I was referring to the vents that are located on top of the rear fenders on the coupe and are obviously absent on the convertible. Thus my statement is accurate. If they re not needed on the convertible then they are not needed on the coupe. The coupe could have been designed, for the better, utilizing the same underbody air intakes that are found on the convertible.
Read up, Joe. They are supposed to work better on top; below on the Vert is a necessary compromise to allow for folding top assembly.
Old 03-23-2013, 10:48 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by Torch Z
Read up, Joe. They are supposed to work better on top; below on the Vert is a necessary compromise to allow for folding top assembly.
Show me where the top mounted fender vents are necessary. Are they to keep the coupe from going airborne at 100 MPH? 150 MPH? 200 MPH? Show me where they reduce lift on the coupe and show me the reason they are needed on the coupe but not required on the convertible.
Just what advantages do the top mounted vents give the coupe that is not necessary for the convertible to have?

Is the C7 coupe so aerodynamically deficient that it needs those vents, but the convertible doesn't, nor does the C6 Z06 and ZR1, that have higher top speeds then the C7?

Other then "boy racer" looks, that is.

Last edited by JoesC5; 03-23-2013 at 10:51 PM.
Old 03-23-2013, 11:07 PM
Rapid Fred
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,314 Likes on 754 Posts

Show me where the top mounted fender vents are necessary. Are they to keep the coupe from going airborne at 100 MPH? 150 MPH? 200 MPH? Show me where they reduce lift on the coupe and show me the reason they are needed on the coupe but not required on the convertible.
Just what advantages do the top mounted vents give the coupe that is not necessary for the convertible to have?

Is the C7 coupe so aerodynamically deficient that it needs those vents, but the convertible doesn't, nor does the C6 Z06 and ZR1, that have higher top speeds then the C7?

I don't have to show you anything. Do a search; the designers have explained it. Go complain to them. Your negativity, with no supporting evidence, is sad.
Old 03-23-2013, 11:43 PM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Received 481 Likes on 261 Posts

They're purpose is not Aerodynamics, they feed cold air to the heat exchangers for the diff and tran.
Old 03-23-2013, 11:46 PM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Received 481 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by GentleBen
I remember reading somewhere that on non-Z51 cars there are no vents.
I believe the vents are there, but they do not have the tubing, in other words blocked off.
Old 03-24-2013, 12:21 AM
jr3
Safety Car

Received 60 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Torch2013C6
If they are serving a real cooling purpose then why is the Convertible without them?
It was also said after the reveal that the Corvette race team had asked for the vents to allow for air flow or coolling for the race team.

Maybe they said they were functional to try and "cool down" the heat they took over the rear tail lights.

Last edited by jr3; 03-24-2013 at 12:26 AM.
Old 03-24-2013, 12:46 AM
DREAMERAK
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14, '16

The trans and diff are in the back, having the coolers back there helps shift the weight to the back, shorter lines means less weight, also one of the engineers said the air exiting out the back near the tail lights, has the effect of lengthening the car aerodynamically, lowering drag, and finally getting the rads out of the engine bay/radiator area mean less to heat soak the engine, a problem on some tracked C6's

Quick Reply: Help Me Understand The Rear 1/4 panel Air Intakes