C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What The Said About The C6 Pricing At Launch And The C6 Rear End!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2013, 06:10 PM
Hirohawa
Le Mans Master

Received 248 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael A
How many of these people have actually seen the car in person? When the car was a Peterson Museum on the West Coast, I didn't hear one person complain about the back end. Not even one. I think this is so overblown on this forum, it is ridiculous.

Michael
Guess we missed each other in front of the C7 at the Peterson as I was very vocal about not liking it. Furthermore, and in no way is this scientific , but I talked to several owners, who had some really nice cars on display from all vintages, and many of them did not like the rear end either.

I think universally everyone likes the front and most like the sides (like me - think they knocked it out of the park) but there is a great divide about the rear that continues to grow. There are going to be a ton of people that will buy the base Stingray for the first 2 or three years but they are going to run into problems when they ask $100K+ for the Z06/ZR1 variants if they keep that back end.
Old 03-24-2013, 06:24 PM
jackhall99
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by Blackdevil77
I have no complaints with either rear. They are both different, but I like them both. So I guess "right" is in the eye of the beholder. ....
The truth is stated.

Originally Posted by Blackdevil77
.... every person I know, except for one, hates it.
And risking getting torn apart by a few, I have NOT heard that opinion from the masses.

During the Chicago Auto Show's ten day run, many people stopped by our club's Corvette display and almost all stated they thought a C7 was a stunningly beautiful car. Different yes, but still beautiful.

Some said "Meh, it will grow on me", and only a few expressed a total dislike of the rear. It sure was not 36% 'dislike' as some CF polls with their small numbers seems to "prove".
Old 03-24-2013, 06:38 PM
speedlink
Safety Car

Received 599 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueOx
Now why should I stay tuned? Why would I care what a bunch of Corvette rear end haters have to say, either way? I buy cars I like, not cars other people like.
TA DA!
Old 03-24-2013, 06:40 PM
speedlink
Safety Car

Received 599 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by jackhall99
The truth is stated.

And risking getting torn apart by a few, I have NOT heard that opinion from the masses.

During the Chicago Auto Show's ten day run, many people stopped by our club's Corvette display and almost all stated they thought a C7 was a stunningly beautiful car. Different yes, but still beautiful.

Some said "Meh, it will grow on me", and only a few expressed a total dislike of the rear. It sure was not 36% 'dislike' as some CF polls with their small numbers seems to "prove".
Old 03-24-2013, 06:41 PM
live2drive
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 5 Posts

[QUOTE=Hirohawa;1583449821]

I think universally everyone likes the front and most like the sides (like me - think they knocked it out of the park) but there is a great divide about the rear that continues to grow. There are going to be a ton of people that will buy the base Stingray for the first 2 or three years but they are going to run into problems when they ask $100K+ for the Z06/ZR1 variants if they keep that back end.[/QUOTE]

I think you are overstating this. How a car looks is important, but the majority of people and buyers recognize that power and performance are what really matters in a Corvette. The looks of the rear are irrelevant while I am passing you with 600+ HP under the hood.

I'll be sure to wave!
Old 03-24-2013, 06:46 PM
petermj
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=live2drive;1583450095]
Originally Posted by Hirohawa

I think universally everyone likes the front and most like the sides (like me - think they knocked it out of the park) but there is a great divide about the rear that continues to grow. There are going to be a ton of people that will buy the base Stingray for the first 2 or three years but they are going to run into problems when they ask $100K+ for the Z06/ZR1 variants if they keep that back end.[/QUOTE]

I think you are overstating this. How a car looks is important, but the majority of people and buyers recognize that power and performance are what really matters in a Corvette. The looks of the rear are irrelevant while I am passing you with 600+ HP under the hood.

I'll be sure to wave!
Seeing what GM did in the past, he may have a point. When C4 ZR-1 came out, GM made an effort to distinguish it visually by using sqare lights instead of the round ones, failed effort but nevertheless.
Old 03-24-2013, 06:48 PM
ArcticC7
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The car looks great from all angles except the rear. It looks like they grafted that rear onto C7 from a totally different design car. I think turds floating in a toilet look better than that rear end.
Old 03-24-2013, 07:23 PM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Received 1,500 Likes on 817 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

Originally Posted by Richie Fazio
It's because they did get the C6 rear right.
Old 03-24-2013, 07:45 PM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

I am not a big fan of the rear. There was a photoshop on here months ago where somebody designed the rear lights with half circles. I thought that looked good and still retained a signature design look for the car. I really believe they went with the square lights to really make the C6 look obsolete so that it would be clear you are driving an older model. I have a feeling the C8 will be back with round tail lights so that the C7 crowd will be obsolete as well.

Last edited by b4i4getit; 03-24-2013 at 07:47 PM.
Old 03-24-2013, 07:59 PM
Richie Fazio
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

[QUOTE=live2drive;1583450095]

I'll be sure to wave!
I agree with you that power and performance is huge but I have to dis agree with you about the looks of the rear being irrelevant. The rear end of the vette has been one of, if not the, most distinguishable part of the look of the car. You always knew when you were behind a corvette. If it was irrelevant, the majority of all threads in the C7 section wouldn't be about the rear, nor would Chevy designers be making videos about the rear, etc, etc. Customers complained that their 100k C6 ZR1 had a basic interior, but the outside of the car still looked good. Now it looks like they got the interior right with the C7, but for 100k, they damn well better get the exterior correct too. Heck they better get the exterior right on 50k base car. Sales numbers will be the true test if they get it right. It will be an interesting story for sure.
Old 03-24-2013, 10:27 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,919 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Guess we missed each other in front of the C7 at the Peterson as I was very vocal about not liking it. Furthermore, and in no way is this scientific , but I talked to several owners, who had some really nice cars on display from all vintages, and many of them did not like the rear end either.

I think universally everyone likes the front and most like the sides (like me - think they knocked it out of the park) but there is a great divide about the rear that continues to grow. There are going to be a ton of people that will buy the base Stingray for the first 2 or three years but they are going to run into problems when they ask $100K+ for the Z06/ZR1 variants if they keep that back end.
I guess we missed each other. There were all Corvette people around me at the Gala event, and all had positive things to say. The next day there were people around who drove other makes. Again, not a single bad thing was said.

It's a big change for some Corvette people, not so much for people outside the Corvette circle. I don't think they will lose buyers, because of the back. I think they will pick up buyers who never owned a Corvette before with the styling overhaul.

Michael
Old 03-25-2013, 12:13 AM
Turbooo2u
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

They are also saying that the C7 gee-whiz interior/dash looks a little like the C4 inside. I can see where the arm rest is contoured the same too. I hate the C4 interior.
Old 03-25-2013, 12:15 AM
Turbooo2u
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That 2005 C6 does look sweet in that Motorweek piece. My first new Vette.
Old 03-25-2013, 12:28 AM
petermj
Le Mans Master

I guess we missed each other. There were all Corvette people around me at the Gala event, and all had positive things to say. The next day there were people around who drove other makes. Again, not a single bad thing was said.

It's a big change for some Corvette people, not so much for people outside the Corvette circle. I don't think they will lose buyers, because of the back. I think they will pick up buyers who never owned a Corvette before with the styling overhaul.

Michael
There is a difference between being polite and enthusiastic and committed to buy. If current owners do not buy, nobody will. Chances of soneone making an impulse buy of C7 as a first corvette are very slim, politely speaking.
Old 03-25-2013, 12:34 AM
petermj
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Turbooo2u
They are also saying that the C7 gee-whiz interior/dash looks a little like the C4 inside. I can see where the arm rest is contoured the same too. I hate the C4 interior.
Well, this is actually a handle now instead of a partition but it certain has the same shape and compartmentalizes the interior the same way, giving it a very cramped feel. Pretty ironic that world class and modern interior gets styling cues from even more obsolete than C6, C4
Old 03-25-2013, 03:04 AM
Hirohawa
Le Mans Master

Received 248 Likes on 158 Posts

Michael
I don't disagree with you, they will probably not lose buyers on the base model at around $55K. No other car comes close for that money.

The thing is, despite what the current marketing hot air would have us believe, the C6 did attract new buyers specifically new buyers willing to spend $75K - $125K on the Z06 and ZR1 models- these are "conquest buyers" that chose the Corvette over a similarly priced Porsche, Aston Martin, R8, etc. This was something they could not pull off with great success on the C4 ZR-1.

The new C7 Z06 (or whatever it will be called) will probably cost close to $100K fully loaded with tax. I didn't mind paying the increase on the Z06 from the C5 to C6 version as I thought the C6 Z06 was stunning and all the new add ons where much more significant than the C5 Version. I am going to approximate numbers but my new 2002 Z06 was about a 10% increase over a base C5, and I believe the C6 Z06 was an increase of around 25% over base on my 2009 fully loaded 3LZ Z06.

Now for around $100K where people can cross shop the Porsche 911 , Viper, Aston Martin , The Audi R8, and the GTR - people are going to be much more picky/finicky. And I believe the rear end will turn those people off, myself included. The ground made by the C6 Z06/ZR1 can quickly disappear, especially if the perception of a "Camaro-esque" rear end persists.

I think ultimately GM will step up just as they did with the Widebody design of the C6 that quickly swept the auto world (here included) with practically unanimous praise.
Old 03-25-2013, 07:31 AM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

Default Ambivalence ..............

Wife and I had dinner with our children and grand kids last evening. Both are gear heads, having grown up driving my various Corvettes, Miatas, etc. Neither are impressed with the C7 overall. Sadly for GM, both are in the age target market GM is seeking. As for me, my enthusiasm is waning.

Get notified of new replies

To What The Said About The C6 Pricing At Launch And The C6 Rear End!!

Old 03-25-2013, 07:52 AM
Bill17601
AIR FORCE VETERAN
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 439 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeyTX
Wife and I had dinner with our children and grand kids last evening. Both are gear heads, having grown up driving my various Corvettes, Miatas, etc. Neither are impressed with the C7 overall. Sadly for GM, both are in the age target market GM is seeking. As for me, my enthusiasm is waning.

It would be wise for Chevrolet just to shut down before they spend any more money.
Old 03-25-2013, 08:02 AM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by Bill17601

It would be wise for Chevrolet just to shut down before they spend any more money.
If they don't hit this out of the park, the C7 might just be the last.
Old 03-25-2013, 08:44 AM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

When the car was a Peterson Museum on the West Coast, I didn't hear one person complain about the back end. Not even one. I think this is so overblown on this forum, it is ridiculous.
you might of misunderstood what was being said. I went to the NAIAS expecting to see a disaster- with all the bashing of the C7 rear.

When I got there, my first impression was "this isn't as bad as I thought it would be".

But, of the 4 views of the C7, the rear is my least fav.

Quick Reply: What The Said About The C6 Pricing At Launch And The C6 Rear End!!