C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new Z28 to have naturally aspirated engine with 500HP, shouldn't the vette have more

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 09:35 PM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Received 481 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by CitznFish
shouldn't the Vette have more?

I'm surprised GM is allowing 2 Camaros to have more HP than the base Stingray. Maybe the base Stingray will be bumped above 500hp?

what do you think?
Not really, the Gen V Camaro is in the middle of it's cycle before the redesign it completely. The Stingray is a completely new generation, and the 2014 is the base model, just a starting point so to speak.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:39 PM
HHughes1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JockItch
This Z/28 is more than just a Camaro with an LS7 stuffed in it, read up on it. It's no joke. While its no flyweight, even with the much needed weight reduction, this car is going to surprise a lot of people on the track.

I'd expect road course times very close or possibly even better than C7 Z51 times. Two different cars, no doubt, but don't underestimate how capable this thing is going to be on the track.
Chevy is serious about this car as will be the people who buy them. Pirelli Trofeo R 305/19 on all four corners and the same carbon ceramic brakes as the ZR1/ Z07. Don't be surprised when you see one at the track that's been gutted, caged and it's pushing 600 HP. I hope this is an indication of what's to come for the next Z06.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:37 PM
BeaZt
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by HHughes1
Chevy is serious about this car as will be the people who buy them. Pirelli Trofeo R 305/19 on all four corners and the same carbon ceramic brakes as the ZR1/ Z07. Don't be surprised when you see one at the track that's been gutted, caged and it's pushing 600 HP. I hope this is an indication of what's to come for the next Z06.
The Z/28 makes me excited for what the C7 Z06 may be.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:44 PM
kozmic
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 609 Likes on 273 Posts

Would be very happy to see more rides with the same brakes. Perhaps the price of pads will become more reasonable.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:52 PM
crabman
Safety Car

Received 79 Likes on 33 Posts

Exactly. What I get out of this is my hopes for the Z06 have gone up.
Old 03-28-2013, 12:56 AM
JockItch
Safety Car

Received 5,301 Likes on 1,974 Posts

Originally Posted by 1320vetteran
The Z/28 makes me excited for what the C7 Z06 may be.
Originally Posted by crabman
Exactly. What I get out of this is my hopes for the Z06 have gone up.

I also think a Z06 built like this would further differentiate it from the ZR1 model. Z06 = hardcore track model, ZR1 = gotta have it all super car. Two very different markets with not as much overlap as there is now.

Last edited by JockItch; 03-28-2013 at 12:59 AM.
Old 03-28-2013, 01:06 AM
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Stingray23
Are a bunch of you THAT insecure?
Yes.
Old 03-28-2013, 02:04 AM
SharkbyteLT4
Le Mans Master

Received 78 Likes on 57 Posts

GM lost that mentality of the corvette being on top of the HP pedastal when it introduced the CTS-V with a lot more power than the Z06 had
Old 03-28-2013, 03:03 AM
JLinCA
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by CitznFish
shouldn't the Vette have more?

I'm surprised GM is allowing 2 Camaros to have more HP than the base Stingray. Maybe the base Stingray will be bumped above 500hp?

what do you think?
Ain't gonna happen. If they do 500 for the base car, then what will they need to do for the Z06, and the ZR1?

The Camaro is the hot GM car right now.
Old 03-28-2013, 03:07 AM
JLinCA
Drifting

Originally Posted by BuddhaZ06
I'd take a 3700lb z28 with 500+ hp over a 3500lb 450+hp c7. Especially since its a purpose built track car.
Yeah but the Camaro has the aerodynamics of a brick
Old 03-28-2013, 03:10 AM
JLinCA
Drifting

Originally Posted by turbooo2u
if the lt1 was going to be close to ls7 numbers, they would have advertised at least 475hp instead of 450. When the z06 was coming out in feb., 2005, they advertised "at least" 500hp and we got 505.
Old 03-28-2013, 07:01 AM
99HRDTP
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 78 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe aka - KODAK
I finally disagree with you. The Z06 or ZR1 are not purpose built for the track, nor are the Z28 and SS Camaro, just the high end of the models. The LT1 is closer to a track production car then the others, so now the Camaro has 3 high performance models and I think there selling and will sell very well.

It makes sense that the high end Camaro would be better than the base model Dead Fish. I would buy an LT1 or Z28 before the C7, even with all it's options before I'd buy the Dead Fish = C7 base model. I'm sure the younger dudes might think the same! It's just personal preference - a hot car or a cold car

Joe, apologies, but I must disagree with you.

Quote": While the new Camaro Z/28 is not intended to compete in a specific race series, it is solely focused on track capability. In initial testing, the Camaro Z/28 is three seconds faster per lap than the Camaro ZL1. That extra speed comes from three areas:

• Increased grip: The Z/28 is capable of 1.05 g in cornering acceleration, due to comprehensive chassis revisions
• Increased stopping power: the Z/28 features Brembo carbon-ceramic brakes capable of 1.5 g in deceleration, and consistent brake feel, lap after lap
• Reduced curb weight: The naturally aspirated Z/28 weighs 300 pounds less than the supercharged Camaro ZL1, with changes ranging from lightweight wheels to thinner rear-window glass"

Plus, radio and A/C delete, and this IS an intended track car, although it may not be used as such by most who buy it and will solely be disappointed to use it as a DD like the SS and ZL1.

I LOVE seeing Chevy pull out all of the tricks they can to keep up with Ford, et al. Way to be GM. Keep the hits rolling with the C7 "performance" models.
Old 03-28-2013, 09:44 AM
LT1_E85_Corvette
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I Can't believe the Z28 is faster than the ZL1!!!

Z28>ZL1>1LE>SS

And seriously, when are they going to dump the LS3 and start using the LT1 in the Camaro? 2015?
Old 03-28-2013, 10:12 AM
Aaron Keating
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 99HRDTP
Joe, apologies, but I must disagree with you.

Quote": While the new Camaro Z/28 is not intended to compete in a specific race series, it is solely focused on track capability. In initial testing, the Camaro Z/28 is three seconds faster per lap than the Camaro ZL1. That extra speed comes from three areas:

• Increased grip: The Z/28 is capable of 1.05 g in cornering acceleration, due to comprehensive chassis revisions
• Increased stopping power: the Z/28 features Brembo carbon-ceramic brakes capable of 1.5 g in deceleration, and consistent brake feel, lap after lap
• Reduced curb weight: The naturally aspirated Z/28 weighs 300 pounds less than the supercharged Camaro ZL1, with changes ranging from lightweight wheels to thinner rear-window glass"

Plus, radio and A/C delete, and this IS an intended track car, although it may not be used as such by most who buy it and will solely be disappointed to use it as a DD like the SS and ZL1.

I LOVE seeing Chevy pull out all of the tricks they can to keep up with Ford, et al. Way to be GM. Keep the hits rolling with the C7 "performance" models.
I wouldn't call that decreasing the weight. That means it's as heavy as the base car is.

Still a fat overwrought Pig.
Old 03-28-2013, 10:38 AM
ParisTNDude
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ldepalma
I think the C7 will have 500 hp but it will come in 300-400 pounds lighter then a Camaro and a Camaro is no Vette. I had both. The Vette will out perform a Camaro any day of the week and twice on race day Sunday.
You might want to look at the Nurburgring lap times before you make any bets on that statement. The ZL1 beat all Corvettes without Cup tires. No question about a drag race, but a road race could be your nemesis.
Old 03-28-2013, 10:47 AM
Slynky
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 224 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by ParisTNDude
You might want to look at the Nurburgring lap times before you make any bets on that statement. The ZL1 beat all Corvettes without Cup tires. No question about a drag race, but a road race could be your nemesis.
Surprising to me. You have a link for this?
Old 03-28-2013, 10:48 AM
Bill17601
AIR FORCE VETERAN
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 439 Likes on 196 Posts

I can afford a new Z28 but it is NOT a Corvete. It is simple. If you are a Corvette person that is your car. Which car is fastest, which does quicker laps, all that has no bearing on my purchase. I am a Corvtte person who enjoys the social aspects, the history and the mystique .

Get notified of new replies

To new Z28 to have naturally aspirated engine with 500HP, shouldn't the vette have more

Old 03-28-2013, 11:03 AM
ParisTNDude
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Slynky
You can see the lap times at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...eife_lap_times

There were a couple of ZR1s that beat the ZL1, but I don't recognize the tires used on those runs. The dates would probably rule out Cup Tires. I would imagine the tires on those ZL1s were non=stock or they wouldn't have mentioned them.
Old 03-28-2013, 11:37 AM
JockItch
Safety Car

Received 5,301 Likes on 1,974 Posts

Originally Posted by Slynky
You can see the lap times at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...eife_lap_times

There were a couple of ZR1s that beat the ZL1, but I don't recognize the tires used on those runs. The dates would probably rule out Cup Tires. I would imagine the tires on those ZL1s were non=stock or they wouldn't have mentioned them.
This is not true. First off, the ZR1 times are better than the Camaro's regardless of tire. And I'm a big Camaro ZL1 fan, but these times are not apples to oranges. Many of these early Corvette tests were from a standing start. The more recent way of conducting the test, the way the ZL1 and the Corvette's with cup tires have done it, is from a running flyby start.

I do think the ZL1 could definitely hang with an early Z06 with it's crappier tires on the ring, but that's about it. And that's pretty damn impressive to me considering the weight of that car. I'm really interested to see what the Z/28 will do, I expect very impressive numbers (low 7:30's at least)
Old 03-28-2013, 11:45 AM
BeaZt
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by Bill17601
I can afford a new Z28 but it is NOT a Corvete. It is simple. If you are a Corvette person that is your car. Which car is fastest, which does quicker laps, all that has no bearing on my purchase. I am a Corvtte person who enjoys the social aspects, the history and the mystique .
I am a corvette guy and I am going to purchase a C7Z when it comes...that said I am really thinking about adding the Z28 to the stable, track days and cruising with the kids. Really thinking about it.

Quick Reply: new Z28 to have naturally aspirated engine with 500HP, shouldn't the vette have more