Sponsored by:

Corvette Vs Camaro Z28

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2013, 11:00 AM
LT1_E85_Corvette
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Kappa
That would be relevant if the Z/28 was made for straight line work.

As it sits, I think the Z/28 will outperform the Z51 in track tests. The Trofeo tires are half slicks like the Sport Cups, the ceramic brakes, short gearing, the extremely trick shocks, and heavy aero work will all push it over the edge.

You guys are making a big deal out of the weight but as we've seen with the GT-R and ZL1, engineers know how to make pigs fly these days. The car will be below 2:50 at VIR when driven by GM's drivers.

The C7 will be close and its not going to bash your brains in on the way home.
GT-500 comment I left was just to help build perspective, but it wasn't necessary needed.

I don't think the C7 is going to be protected from the Z28, but i honestly think it's going to be a win for the Z51. Will be a close race!
Old 05-01-2013, 11:01 AM
JockItch
Safety Car

Received 5,314 Likes on 1,979 Posts

As it sits, I think the Z/28 will outperform the Z51 in track tests. The Trofeo tires are half slicks like the Sport Cups, the ceramic brakes, short gearing, the extremely trick shocks, and heavy aero work will all push it over the edge.

You guys are making a big deal out of the weight but as we've seen with the GT-R and ZL1, engineers know how to make pigs fly these days. The car will be below 2:50 at VIR when driven by GM's drivers.

Old 05-01-2013, 11:04 AM
WaxWeekly
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 45 Posts

I disagree. I believe the C7 will be about 470hp with vastly improved power and torque under the entire curve making it competitive with the current Z06. Since I doubt a 500hp LS7 Camaro will beat a 505hp LS7 Z06, I can also say I doubt the Z/28 will beat a C7 Z51.

I think the testing should be fun to watch and very interesting.
Old 05-01-2013, 11:19 AM
Aaron Keating
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah but this is the same company designing the C7 that did El Fatso. And at the end of the day, the Camaro is still El Fatso with only at best fifty ponies over the C7. It also lacks the Gen 3 mag shocks, doesn't have the E diff, it's also despite all of their efforts 600 lbs heavier.

The Z28 is going to be bad fast for a car of it's size but El Fatso still isn't going to trump the vette.
Old 05-01-2013, 11:19 AM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Received 481 Likes on 261 Posts

The chances of one getting their "butt kicked" on the street, or even a road course for that matter by a Z28 is pretty small. Performance aside, if for no other reason, there will only be 500 of them in the world. I imagine that it is a one year only car as they had to do something with all of those extra LS7's. If you want a future collector car and get the chance to obtain one, the Z28 might be a good investment. Just take delivery, drive it home, vacuum seal it, and sell it a Barrett Jackson in twenty years.

That said, it appears that the Stingray has enough goodies that it can overcome giving up 50 +/- ponies to a Camaro, Mustang or what not. IMO
Old 05-01-2013, 11:28 AM
JockItch
Safety Car

Received 5,314 Likes on 1,979 Posts

All I can say is that a lot of people are going to be very surprised at the Z/28's track times. Doing simple horsepower to weight ratios to compare vehicles won't fly. The extremely overweight ZL1 turned a very impressive 2:52:38 at VIR. The Z/28 is said to be 3 seconds faster around GM's track than the ZL1. Do the math, it's likely that the Z/28 will do under 2:50 at VIR. That's gonna be a tough time for the C7 to beat. Not impossible, but not likely IMO.
Old 05-01-2013, 11:36 AM
coolsrt8
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lt4obsesses
The chances of one getting their "butt kicked" on the street, or even a road course for that matter by a Z28 is pretty small. Performance aside, if for no other reason, there will only be 500 of them in the world. I imagine that it is a one year only car as they had to do something with all of those extra LS7's. If you want a future collector car and get the chance to obtain one, the Z28 might be a good investment. Just take delivery, drive it home, vacuum seal it, and sell it a Barrett Jackson in twenty years.

That said, it appears that the Stingray has enough goodies that it can overcome giving up 50 +/- ponies to a Camaro, Mustang or what not. IMO
Where do you get the 500 production number?, this makes me nervous I want a Z/28 for my collection. Ist year Corvette will be plagued with problems. I will wait for the Z06
Old 05-01-2013, 11:45 AM
Kappa
Melting Slicks

Received 530 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by Aaron Keating
Yeah but this is the same company designing the C7 that did El Fatso. And at the end of the day, the Camaro is still El Fatso with only at best fifty ponies over the C7. It also lacks the Gen 3 mag shocks, doesn't have the E diff, it's also despite all of their efforts 600 lbs heavier.

The Z28 is going to be bad fast for a car of it's size but El Fatso still isn't going to trump the vette.
We can agree to disagree.

The DSSV shocks(look them up, they are $$$$$$$) have no compromise for the street like the mag shocks(the ZL1 has the Gen 3 shocks as well and they're gone) and the brakes,tires and aero are more aggressive than the C7's.

Despite the weight, I think Z/28 will make up the difference.
Old 05-01-2013, 11:49 AM
bigwoolyg
Pro

Received 91 Likes on 32 Posts

"stripper" - typically means a base model. the Z/28 is not a stripper, it has high end brakes , suspension, tires, LS7, hence the price tag. I do agree on the weight concerns but I think it will still be bad *** and prob beat the Z51 around a track by a c-hair but this is all bench racing..
Old 05-01-2013, 11:58 AM
harlold
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

In 2013, HP isn't everything. 20 years ago you could be faster just by upping HP in a car.

Now a day, it is everything in the car that contributes to producing a fast vehicle, in 1/4mile and on the track.
Old 05-01-2013, 07:46 PM
sam90lx
Le Mans Master

Received 172 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by JockItch
All I can say is that a lot of people are going to be very surprised at the Z/28's track times. Doing simple horsepower to weight ratios to compare vehicles won't fly. The extremely overweight ZL1 turned a very impressive 2:52:38 at VIR. The Z/28 is said to be 3 seconds faster around GM's track than the ZL1. Do the math, it's likely that the Z/28 will do under 2:50 at VIR. That's gonna be a tough time for the C7 to beat. Not impossible, but not likely IMO.
Yeah, people dont understand what a track monster this thing is going to be. I personally thing it will take the Z version of the C7 to take "this Camaro" down.
Old 05-01-2013, 07:47 PM
sam90lx
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by coolsrt8
Where do you get the 500 production number?, this makes me nervous I want a Z/28 for my collection. Ist year Corvette will be plagued with problems. I will wait for the Z06
500 is the number I believe and wont be cheap!
Old 05-01-2013, 08:08 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

The Z28 is the track car that a lot of Corvette owners have hoped they would offer in a Corvette. The Z28 is not going to be a great street car, and they have said it will be the most expensive Camaro built - more than the ZL1 due to the carbon ceramic brakes.

I doubt if many people will buy one unless they are track junkies. For them, it may well be better than a Corvette.
Old 05-01-2013, 08:16 PM
ParisTNDude
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

My 2012 Camaro SS weighed 3820 bone stock with everything in it. I believe removal of many of the optional and standard equipment in the Z28 may bring it down to 36XX.

If you look at what the 1LE did at VIR with a standard LS3 at 426 HP, and only upgraded suspension over the SS (no magnetic shocks here either), I think you have to give credit to the Z28 with lesser weight, much improved suspension, super sticky tires and 75 more HP.

I feel confident that the Z28 will beat the Camaro ZL1 around Nurburgring and the ZL1 beat most if not all Corvettes without Cup tires. So, I think the Z28 will fare well against the C7 and it might take the C7 Z to beat it outright.

Since pricing hasn't been released yet, no one knows, but I would be hugely surprised if the Z28 was more pricey than the ZL1 at $54K.

One more point, the Camaro sells as many cars in two months as Corvettes all year. Chevy needs to keep Camaro in the limelight to maintain it's upper hand in the market. Let's face it HP and performance sells Corvettes and Muscle cars.
Old 05-01-2013, 08:45 PM
jr3
Safety Car

Received 60 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by 1BADLS3
Z28 = a way for GM to use up leftover LS7's.

A stripper Camaro with an LS7 for $65K+ ??? No thanks.
Yep,... They have also p*$$ed off a lot of the Camaro buyers by only offering the Z/28 as a stripped down track version. Lots of Camaro buyers have been waiting years for the chance to buy a new Z/28. And now many of them feel cheated that GM did this (or the older camaro guys behind the scenes). GM's camaro people kept talking about 1969 this and 1969 that... This is not 1969, this is 2013.

They could have sold a lot more Z/28's if they would have let buyers order the car the way they wanted it instead of a stripped down version. The Z/28 could have been a Home Run like the ZR1 but it looks like some of the older camaro people at GM want to sell the car like they sold it 40+ years ago. This is not the 1969 market place.

The C7 looks like its going to be a Home Run, but they missed another Home Run by blocking many Camaro buyers from being able to get the Z/28 they want. Maybe all they really wanted to do is build a Z/28 "collectible car" they could show off at Barrett-Jackson.
Old 05-01-2013, 09:06 PM
Camaro_Corvette
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ldepalma
This comment is totally inaccurate. The Corvette IS the Halo car of GM and always will be.

Fact 1. Base Camaro is no match to a base Vette C5, C6 or C7. Vette's will win all the time!!

fact 2. While the Z28 is a muscle car and only 500 will be made, so what, it won't top the high end car that will probably be a Z06/ZR1 whatever they decide to call it next model year. GM isn't stupid by releasing both a high output and a base car all in the same year. They didn't do that for the Camaro why do it for the Vette, that would be bad marketing.

Fact 3. Your comparing apples to oranges. The Camaro is a muscle car and the Vette is a sports car. Two entirely different categories.
Further, the OP asked for an honest opinion. Don't feed fairy tales to someone who is asking an opinion on buying a C7.
Where did GM say they would only make 500 z/28's???
Old 05-01-2013, 09:09 PM
sam90lx
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Camaro_Corvette
Where did GM say they would only make 500 z/28's???
Google 2014 Z-28 for all the details.

Get notified of new replies

To Corvette Vs Camaro Z28

Old 05-01-2013, 09:11 PM
sam90lx
Le Mans Master

I also think there will be a 2015 Gen 5 Camaro Z-28 from what I have read.
Old 05-01-2013, 09:39 PM
Camaro_Corvette
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sam90lx
Google 2014 Z-28 for all the details.
Yeah, okay. I want to see the scholarly source where "he" read that.

Originally Posted by sam90lx
I also think there will be a 2015 Gen 5 Camaro Z-28 from what I have read.
Yes
Old 05-01-2013, 09:48 PM
sam90lx
Le Mans Master

I think the 500 was mentioned when they revealed it...New York auto show?? By GM.

Quick Reply: Corvette Vs Camaro Z28