Sponsored by:

Convertible trunk space?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 04:38 PM
fdxpilot
Safety Car

Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Sin City
Nope. Never owned one. But, planning on picking it up at the museum and driving back to Vegas in it. I want to know if that's possible so I can complete my plan about how I'm going to get it.

PS: I pack light!
When I bought my 427 convertible, I picked it up in Montana and drove it to northern Mississippi. I had a airline-style 22" long rolling bag and a backpack in the trunk, as well as a small ice chest and a CD case in the Pass seat for the drive. Along the way, I stopped at a Trader Joe's (none near me,) and picked up two grocery bags of stuff which fit in the trunk with the other luggage, and a case of wine up front. Unless you're taking a woman with along, all the attendant makeup and stuff, you should have no problem.
Old 06-17-2013, 05:35 PM
speedlink
Safety Car

Received 599 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueOx
The C6, and I'm sure the C7, does have a wall between the passenger compartment and the trunk. That is part of what gives it the stiffness it has.
Got to disagree with you on that one Blue.

That wall will not add to any structural stiffness. Remember this car was engineered from the ground up as a convertible. That wall just seperates the top from storage. IMO
Old 08-16-2015, 09:29 PM
RNAVDAVE
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone know if it will be completely useless or just mostly useless? Can you go cross country in it if you pack light?

Has anyone actually seen the trunk in the Convertible?
It works fine for us but we did buy the corvette luggage and too museum delivery then did a 10 day rad trip with her. Pack light o laundry often and all is well, like the 60's but then that's us just "OLD HIPPIES". We have done six trips in the car all 10-20 days and love it.
Old 08-16-2015, 09:32 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,290 Likes on 1,400 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Reviving a 2+ year old thread???
Old 08-16-2015, 09:37 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve_R
Reviving a 2+ year old thread???
Hey, some of us have old trunks.
Old 08-16-2015, 09:46 PM
RNAVDAVE
Instructor

It ts trips in my 67 and 68 but I love both of them too.
Old 08-17-2015, 01:43 AM
NYChef
Cruising

Since you asked... Two weeks worth of groceries with the top down, three with it up.
Old 08-17-2015, 09:50 AM
scottiekay
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by AORoads
I met up w. a couple that did just that: travel cross country in their C6 convertible, which is similar to mine. It actually does hold some stuff pretty well if you pack well and w. very soft-sided luggage. Also, "wildmanht" designed a non-marring, trunk lid suitcase holder that may now be listed by Mid America Corvette. I don't know if he's coming out w. one for the C7.
The trunk fits a full set of Golf Clubs and enough room for a small travel bag with clothing. 2 sets of clubs is not happening. For the most part think of it as using overhead storage on a plane.
Old 08-17-2015, 10:20 AM
6spdC6
Team Owner

Location: Northern NYs Adirondack Mountains,http://www.visitsacandaga.com.
Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

Well as long as this thread came back to life

I had a C5 Vert- AC6 vert and the trunk in my C7 Vert is smaller than the two previous generations.

We did a lot of traveling with the C5 and 6 and if you pack smart you can get a lot in those two, not so good in the C7.

Do not use hard side stuff, use canvas or something that will fit what ever space you got .

We also toured top down if it all possible and we could easily carry 2 cloth bags or soft sided bags of personal items (clothes/meds toiletry supplies) 2 folding chairs a pop up sun shade for hanging out at the car shows, all car cleaning supplies, California car duster ( including a small bucket ) a couple cameras, rain gear, small cooler and small items picked up at shows. This was for the 5-6 the 7 not all of the above will fit.
Old 08-17-2015, 10:43 AM
larry knapp
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Anyone know if it will be completely useless or just mostly useless? Can you go cross country in it if you pack light?

I have had a C5 and a C6 convertibles. My C7 convertible was built 12-9-13. On 1-16-14, with 190 miles on the car and snow flying, we left for Texas, San Diego, drove the coastal highway to San Francisco. Then to Mesa Arizona arriving on 2-1-14 where we stayed until 3-31-14 and returned home with 8500 miles on the car.
The C7 trunk is something like 1 cf smaller. Even though we not only had enough room for our clothes but also two Sunday golf bags and selected clubs. Of course could not put the top down until we got to Arizona. ALWAYS USE DUFFLE BAGS!
The car was like a rock star with many pictures taken at every stop and also those passing on the road. Great experience!

Last edited by larry knapp; 08-17-2015 at 10:59 AM.
Old 08-17-2015, 02:22 PM
tooold2race
Burning Brakes

Received 547 Likes on 284 Posts

Default Convertible trunk space

The C7 trunk on the convertible is smaller than the C6 and the C5. With that said, we've taken our C7 'vert' on a number of week plus road trips. We have 'soft sided' leather luggage and it works just fine. The down side is there is limited space to store stuff you may buy (maybe that's not such a bad problem) but I now can no longer carry my detailing stuff or the car cover.

TIP: Pack with the top down. That way you will have plenty of room to put in extra stuff later. You just won't be able to drop the top if the mood strikes you.
Old 08-17-2015, 08:36 PM
fmcooper
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I took a small roallaboard with me to the airport last week. I thought it wa going to end up in the passenger seat. Too tall on its side, and too wide to twist flat. I had to release the curtain to get enough of an angle to twist it into place. My normal Tumi roll aboard would not have fit. I'd recommend soft sided luggage. The trunk is decent size but make sure you try to fit things BEFORE you're in a rush
Old 09-02-2015, 03:57 PM
vdavenp802
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 53 Posts

See my post 'road trip west' We have the 'Corvette' roller bags and they fit perfectly. So I get to take whatever fits in them. Plus more depending on if you pull down the top protector partition.
Will advise on results after the trip. But it most certainly doeable with proper planning.
Old 09-02-2015, 04:00 PM
scottiekay
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

can fit a full set of golf clubs in mine. and a small bag with it. Thats about it
Old 09-02-2015, 06:58 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,929 Likes on 4,810 Posts

Originally Posted by scottiekay
can fit a full set of golf clubs in mine. and a small bag with it. Thats about it
Old 09-02-2015, 07:26 PM
obxchartercaptain
Safety Car

Received 308 Likes on 198 Posts
FL Events Coordinator

I never bought a Vette for Trunk Space....I have had 5 convertibles and never had a problem travelling on long trips....Like a previous poster mentioned the C7 trunk is slightly smaller than the C5 & C6 and that works fine for me...."Sweetheart, forget it....we don't have enough room for that"....
Old 09-02-2015, 08:55 PM
John Ulrich
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 270 Likes on 199 Posts

We can carry more then what you are allowed to bring in the cabin of an aircraft. More room then my Goldwing which my wife would avoid for a long trip.

Get notified of new replies

To Convertible trunk space?

Old 09-02-2015, 10:54 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Originally Posted by flange
for an example, I can fit two soft sided bags in my 427 vert, each of which can hold probably five to seven days worth of spring/summer casual clothing. I also carry a laptop in my bag. I have owned several convertible corvettes and find the space to be adequate. its not a 1970 impala, but it gets it done for me.

If I chose to go across country, it wouldn't be a problem at all.
But for sure not enough room for my wife's crap. We can go someplace for 5 days & she will pack for 3 weeks of chg of stuff.

We just went to fla for 5 days was going to take the vette. But when she started coming out with all of her bags I just pulled the conv back in & told her to put the stuff in her BMW..

Last edited by robert miller; 09-02-2015 at 10:56 PM.
Old 09-03-2015, 09:07 AM
cberistain
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Our C7 convertible came with the two carry on suitcases ( wheels/collapsible handle) that fit perfectly in the trunk .. If I remove the wheels and one pedal from my road bike, it fits in the trunk (top "up" only of course).

a removable partition separates the convertible top area and the free trunk space .. but when the top is up, the partition can be detached and it makes for a lot more room.

some pics:
one shows the top down and hidden behind removable partition, the other shows the top up and the partition detached.
Attached Images   
Old 09-03-2015, 09:09 AM
cberistain
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Since you asked... Two weeks worth of groceries with the top down, three with it up.
great pic ... I just have to smile .. as I do the same thing.. nothing like pulling up to Trader Joe's and filling up the trunk with groceries. :-)

Quick Reply: Convertible trunk space?