C7pimp
Drifting

Received 768 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by Zymurgy
Three choices:
  1. Silver painted aluminum (standard)
  2. Chrome aluminum ($1,995)
  3. Machine face aluminum ($1,495)
Damn, for 2K you can buy an additional set of rims.

What are they playing at thinking that a rim being chrome instead of silver painted costs $2k to the consumer with standard margin in mind. That's a disgusting ripoff.

You can buy 4 rims @ $500 a piece in chrome for the money and $500 per piece rims are very high quality. Not top of the line like HRE, etc but that's still a very good quality wheel for $500.

Get the standard no-extra-cost rims and spend 2K on a decent pair of chromes so you have two sets of wheels, and in the very best style to your taste.
Old 08-10-2013, 09:03 PM
C7pimp
Drifting

Originally Posted by Paulchristian
Go with these:

Old 08-10-2013, 10:50 PM
C7pimp
Drifting

Dbl post
Old 08-10-2013, 10:53 PM
ATOMICV8
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The one lesson I was taught at an early age was to pay particular attention to how your shoes look before you go anywhere. Seems like that would hold true on a $6000.00 car.I chose black because they go well with white and can be changed without to much being lost if I decide to do so. The standard rims look just okay in my opinion.
Old 08-11-2013, 12:58 AM
elegant
Safety Car

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Originally Posted by MeanDean43
OK, sort of along the same line, how about recommendations for WINTER TIRES! The Michelin's sound great for summer, but we have at least 4 month's of COLD WEATHER. I'm not talking about snow tires, (a Corvette is no longer my only means of transportation,) just decent WINTER TIRES that have at least some grip on the road.
Michelin will have available this fall, all season, high performance tires for the StingRay, both the standard and Z-51 models. Here's a quote from Tire Rack.com regarding these new tires: "The Pilot Sport A/S 3 includes a W- and Y-speed rated Ultra High Performance All-Season option that's part of Michelin’s Pilot family of low profile, high-speed tires developed for the drivers of high-end sports cars, sporty coupes and sedans looking for total performance regardless of the season. The Pilot Sport A/S 3 tire is designed to provide Michelin's highest level of all-season performance by combining dry road handling, wet road grip and year-round traction, even in light snow."
Old 08-11-2013, 02:20 AM
Tony C7
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lawdogg149
I got the torch red too. But I just couldn't do the standard wheels. Black wheels makes the red car stand out and look faster. Try the options at www.chevrolet.com to see the differences.

Just my thoughts so prepare to get trolled on
Black wheels are the ONLY choice when it comes to red.
Old 08-11-2013, 02:41 AM
MeanDean43
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the info 'elegant', I'd much rather stick with Michelin's if possible. I've had them in the past, and liked them.
Old 08-27-2013, 08:40 PM
vadams44
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I am going to order my 2014 next week. I do not like the standard wheel or the upgrade wheel that comes on the 2LT model. I really like the Z51 wheel better but do not want to splurge for the Z51 package. I also know they are not interchangeable.
So, maybe I order the standard wheel and then buy an aftermarket wheel that resembles the Z51 wheel or at least has a bit more going for it than the 2LT package wheel. Any thoughts on this, positive or negative and any suggestions as to where to get the wheels. I know there are tons of places on the web to buy wheels. Would just like some of your expert opinions as to what I should look for in a wheel or maybe where you have had a good experience. I have seen wheels that are $3000-4000 each on some sites and that is out of the question. I have seen others I like that are polished chrome and in the $300-500 range per wheel. Would these be a mistake to buy? I do not plan on racing or doing any really "hard" driving with this car. I have a '66 327/350 that I do race/autocross with, so I can get the "speed freak" out of my system with that. I appreciate any comments.
Old 08-27-2013, 08:50 PM
robvuk
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't see why the Z51 wheel wouldn't fit on a non Z51 car. It's the other way around that won't work because of the larger rotors.
Old 08-27-2013, 08:51 PM
entologix
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default You'll be fine

Originally Posted by Roger Sobin
I ordered Torch Red / Red 3Lt . . . but just accepted the standard wheels and tires.

Do not know about wheels. Hardly ever look at wheels on a car. Well, did notice the big wheels on the chariot of Ben Hur -- but . . .

Will the standard wheels AND tires be OK, or do I need to re-look and talk about the wheels AND tires???
Torch Red 3LT...I think you can make it
Old 08-27-2013, 08:54 PM
entologix
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2LT with "Z" wheels

Originally Posted by vadams44
I am going to order my 2014 next week. I do not like the standard wheel or the upgrade wheel that comes on the 2LT model. I really like the Z51 wheel better but do not want to splurge for the Z51 package. I also know they are not interchangeable.
So, maybe I order the standard wheel and then buy an aftermarket wheel that resembles the Z51 wheel or at least has a bit more going for it than the 2LT package wheel. Any thoughts on this, positive or negative and any suggestions as to where to get the wheels. I know there are tons of places on the web to buy wheels. Would just like some of your expert opinions as to what I should look for in a wheel or maybe where you have had a good experience. I have seen wheels that are $3000-4000 each on some sites and that is out of the question. I have seen others I like that are polished chrome and in the $300-500 range per wheel. Would these be a mistake to buy? I do not plan on racing or doing any really "hard" driving with this car. I have a '66 327/350 that I do race/autocross with, so I can get the "speed freak" out of my system with that. I appreciate any comments.
I dunno I ordered a Black 2LT w/Black Z wheels 19's in front and 20's on the rear
Old 08-27-2013, 09:45 PM
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor

Location: Should this thoughtful, valuable contribution meet with no acknowledgement or 'thanks' this post----
Received 399 Likes on 257 Posts

I'm on my 8th set of wheels on my 97 C5. I will tell you this: order your car with the cheapest stock wheel offered. Then, store them after a few months of learning the car. Enter the remarkable world of aftermarket wheels...it's a 'career' studying the dozens of designs as well as constructions. Shoot for 3-piece wheels, clearcoated over brushed aluminum, or polished. Or, go to the new finishes...there are dozens of them now. The C7, being a modern version of a vette, requires modern wheel styling...thin spokes, embossed naming, stripes around the perimeter, etc. Go to HRE wheel's website and view the finishes.....you will soon fall in love with what is out there now.
Old 08-28-2013, 12:36 AM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,066 Likes on 6,168 Posts

Go look at post #9 in this thread. You will see that on the non-Z51 the standard wheel does not vary by trim level (the same statement is also true for the Z51 - all trim levels have the same standard wheel - but it is different from the non-Z51 wheel). There are two optional wheels for the non-Z51. They are the same style as the standard wheel but have different finishes - either chrome or machine-faced.
Old 08-28-2013, 09:25 AM
jr3
Safety Car

Received 60 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Roger Sobin
I ordered Torch Red / Red 3Lt . . . but just accepted the standard wheels and tires.

Do not know about wheels. Hardly ever look at wheels on a car. Well, did notice the big wheels on the chariot of Ben Hur -- but . . .

Will the standard wheels AND tires be OK, or do I need to re-look and talk about the wheels AND tires???
I'm not a fan of the "base" wheels... To me they just look to "plain looking" for the new car's design.

The Z51 Fork wheels below look a lot better. And the Z51 wheels go better with the C7's new design.

If you want aftermarket wheels, HRE make a great looking wheel that would look good on the C7... One of my favorites is the S101 wheels.

S101

They also make the P101 which would look good on the C7 as well.

P101

But like others have said, it's a personal choice and each person is different. You have to pick what "you like" because it will be your car.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Wheels . . . options . . .