First year production bugs

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2013, 07:18 PM
RussM05
Melting Slicks

Received 1,013 Likes on 365 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Dan 427
Hmmmm........

Another thread regarding this subject got closed today b/c too many members can't deal with the fact that the C7 and every other car ever built will have some problems in its first year of production.

Tot the OP's post, I for one would stay away but I'm not buying one until they straighten out the mess!!

The only mess I see is you posting your negative opinion as if its fact every chance you get.

Nobody including you know if there will be any significant problems. A million test miles has to mean something even to you.

Quality today is a 100 times better than it was 10 years ago.

GM, Ford, Chrysler, Toyota, Honda, and others launch new cars every year. Are there recalls? Unavoidable in some cases. But what would happen if everyone avoids buying 1st year cars? There would be no news models.
Old 08-25-2013, 08:02 PM
RickDI
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vincent_esq
Is anyone worried about the c7 first year production bugs? I know the c7 have gone through the 1 million miles testing but even my super reliable first year 2003 Honda pilot had its share of problems.
Based on my experience with my 2010 Camaro I think GM has gotten better. That said I had one issue with the clutch that was replaced under warranty. There was also a problem with the finish on the rear wheels. In both cases the dealer had the car for two days and provided me a with a rental.

I expect there to be issues, but I also expect GM to take care of them.
Old 08-25-2013, 09:01 PM
Mark JD
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm not waiting.... nor am I worried about too may first year 'bugs'.

If the 2015 is that much improved over the '14.... then they have a thing at the 'stealerships' called...... "TRADE-IN"!

"Enjoy life in the moment"
Old 08-25-2013, 09:19 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Tot the OP's post, I for one would stay away but I'm not buying one until they straighten out the mess!!
You aren't buying one, even though there is no 'mess'. We all know it.
Old 08-25-2013, 09:39 PM
-CM-
Melting Slicks

Received 64 Likes on 35 Posts

Time will tell how many thousands of people will die because of the mess of first-year issues, but I'm going to risk it and get one as soon as I can.
Old 08-25-2013, 10:14 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by RussM05
The only mess I see is you posting your negative opinion as if its fact every chance you get.

Nobody including you know if there will be any significant problems. A million test miles has to mean something even to you.

Quality today is a 100 times better than it was 10 years ago.

GM, Ford, Chrysler, Toyota, Honda, and others launch new cars every year. Are there recalls? Unavoidable in some cases. But what would happen if everyone avoids buying 1st year cars? There would be no news models.
You mean 20 years or more ago. From a Vette standpoint design and build quality has been very good since the 97 was introduced and was pretty good during the C4 years. My 86 was one of the best cars I ever owned. I had that car for 10 years before buying my 97.

The 97 although a first year car was probably the highest perceived quality C5 model. Production line was run at a slow pace, they did a lot of things to detail the car they stopped doing in later years. Things like cleaning the adhesive from the floor joints where it oozed out and hung from the bottom of the car. My 97 was picture perfect underneath while my 03Z had all sorts of dingle berries hanging from the floor supports. Didn't really affect build quality since the floor wasn't compromised and still performed as it should but the 97 just looked better in that area. I don't blame GM because they could reduce cost without affecting quality and that is what we want them to do.

Bill
Old 08-25-2013, 10:33 PM
jamesw95
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Hmmmm........

Another thread regarding this subject got closed today b/c too many members can't deal with the fact that the C7 and every other car ever built will have some problems in its first year of production.

Thanks Dan for trying to save everyone from buying a crap car. Anyone that has been on this forum for over a month knows you hate it, thanks for keeping us up to date. Oh, and what mess is it they have to straighten out before you buy one (please don't)?
Old 08-25-2013, 10:44 PM
dcbingaman
Burning Brakes

Received 342 Likes on 207 Posts

The first of the 2014's will be gone over with a finetooth comb. Probably better quality than later 2014's or any of the 2015's. In addition, because 2014 will be short model year, I predict NO CHANGES for 2015 except cosmetics (maybe) - kind of like 2005 and 2006 GTO's. One potential change, depending on sales, MSRP may creep up.

Third, the A6 is here to stay, but it is NOT the A6 that is in the C6 - it has already been updated - see the reviews. The A6 will only be replaced when a reliable, affordable DCT is built or sourced - probably 2016 or later. The ZF 8-speed (Jag F-type) was already tried and it blew up (twice).
Old 08-25-2013, 10:48 PM
C7_Z51
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by dcbingaman
The first of the 2014's will be gone over with a finetooth comb. Probably better quality than later 2014's or any of the 2015's. In addition, because 2014 will be short model year, I predict NO CHANGES for 2015 except cosmetics (maybe) - kind of like 2005 and 2006 GTO's. One potential change, depending on sales, MSRP may creep up.

Third, the A6 is here to stay, but it is NOT the A6 that is in the C6 - it has already been updated - see the reviews. The A6 will only be replaced when a reliable, affordable DCT is built or sourced - probably 2016 or later. The ZF 8-speed (Jag F-type) was already tried and it blew up (twice).
The only thing I could see changing quickly right now is the HUD becoming standard across the board.
Old 08-25-2013, 11:22 PM
Supercrewbear
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Not GM but...my Ford F150 Supercrew 4x4 is an '04. That was the 1st year for a complete redesign. It never even crossed my mind about it being the first year. It will be 10 years old in a couple weeks and has about 100,800 miles on it. Other than one set of tires, a brake job and maybe two batteries the only true repairs I've had was 1) a gasket around the cargo light at the top of the outside cab was replaced (leaking a little) and 2) the tilt wheel lever came off where it attached and wouldn't stay on again - replaced. That's it. The lever was a friend's fault 'cause SHE couldn't understand what I meant by "push it down" - she pushed it OFF... They fixed it under warranty while doing the gasket. It still smells new inside.

Old 08-26-2013, 10:35 AM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

When discussing the First Year Quality issues, we should separate them into 4 categories:

Assembly problems that can be detected and fixed, if the plant takes time to do so. They seem to be on top of that one.

Unforseen problems that develop in the field, as thousands of variably-skilled drivers start using and abusing the car. GM usually does ok in anticipating these, but not always (sun visor mirrors, glove box latch, leaking pan gaskets). OTOH, GM often fails to fix these problems throughout the production life of the car, so waiting a year or two might not make any difference.

Unexpected problems caused by poor design or cheapsh!t manufacturing. Sometimes these get fixed in later years, sometimes not (quickly-cracking transparent tops, harmonic balancer).

Design items that are "not quite right" for various reasons (doughboy steering wheel, floppy seats). Again, some of these get changed right away, others get changed later, some never get changed at all.

Me, I'm going to wait.
Old 08-26-2013, 10:39 AM
Glenmcp
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 574 Likes on 328 Posts

This is like groundhog day.
Old 08-26-2013, 05:40 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

Originally Posted by Glenmcp
This is like groundhog day.
Indeed. The OP said: My "super reliable" 2003 Honda Pilot had it's share of first year teething problems....

Huh?

I don't much care, I have been Corvette-less for almost 3 years, when my convertible gets here Jan/Feb, I will enjoy it fully. If it has an issue, I will take it to get fixed. Seems simple to me. If I wanted an appliance, I'd buy a Kenmore. For the guys that are SCARED of some "teething issue" on the car, all I can say is: You can tell the guys that never owned a REAL sports cars back in the day (Britain's finest, vintage 1960's). Own a couple of Triumphs or Austin Healeys and you will NEVER whine about ANYTHING a modern car throws at you.
Or you might (whine) just because some of you should be driving Camry's anyway.

Jimmy
Old 08-26-2013, 05:53 PM
sshu
Instructor

Received 69 Likes on 43 Posts

This has been mentioned in several threads but I will chime in. My concern is all the new electronic and technologies that has been introduced into this car. It is a major leap compared to what you saw with the C5 to C6. There probably will be bugs but we just don't know how small or big they are going to be but I don't think it will ruin the ownership experience. If you want to be first on the block you have to expect to deal with this and pay msrp. If you wait til July 2014 for the second year model you will get one that sorted our some of it's issues with a better discount but you have to wait.
Old 08-26-2013, 06:29 PM
ByByBMW
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 536 Likes on 279 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'08-'10-'11-'12-'13 '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Originally Posted by sshu
This has been mentioned in several threads but I will chime in. My concern is all the new electronic and technologies that has been introduced into this car. It is a major leap compared to what you saw with the C5 to C6. There probably will be bugs but we just don't know how small or big they are going to be but I don't think it will ruin the ownership experience. If you want to be first on the block you have to expect to deal with this and pay msrp. If you wait til July 2014 for the second year model you will get one that sorted our some of it's issues with a better discount but you have to wait.
Old 08-26-2013, 06:36 PM
Desmtg
Racer

Received 88 Likes on 46 Posts

You guys and girls wait until next July. For the next 10 months Ill be driving my vin #551 all over Florida. I had an early 97 and 06 and never had any problems!
Old 08-26-2013, 06:45 PM
427Z0SX
Le Mans Master

Received 154 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by sshu
Or you can wait until the last year of the C7, and get a "perfect" C7.

Get notified of new replies

To First year production bugs

Old 08-26-2013, 07:11 PM
sshu
Instructor

Received 69 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by 427Z0SX
Or you can wait until the last year of the C7, and get a "perfect" C7.
That is also very true. It has been fine tuned for 7-8 years and you are getting the final and best iteration of the c6 at a heavy discount which will pay for the first 1-2 years of depreciation. It will just be dated and not be the hottest toy on the block.
Old 08-26-2013, 07:45 PM
Cruiter
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
On order: Torch Red Z51
Default First year production quality

Getting a 2014 can be better or it can be worse, only the owner will know. I bought my 2010 RX450h as one of the very 1st models from the 1st month of production (May 2009). It was hot shipped from the port to my dealer here in Atlanta and was actually the 1st one in Atlanta by a couple of weeks. I knew Lexus would not want cars with problems plaguing the auto news stories. Long story short, it's had no major warranty issues at all. At about 9 months a stress crack appeared in the W/S and they replaced it with OEM and no issues. Nothing but oil changes and tires and filters since then. So as much as they're working to make the C7 right, I think they will. Problems are usually not from assembly but parts from vendors. Not much can be done about that but have an alternate vendor.

Last edited by Cruiter; 08-26-2013 at 07:48 PM.
Old 08-26-2013, 08:02 PM
rmp
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

I agree; probably not big changes but some changes and more options and less dealer gouging.

Originally Posted by b4i4getit
I am not so much worried about production bugs as I am worried that they will make some big changes in the second year. That A6 will be history and some other problematic issues that surface in 2014 will get a renewed focus for the 2015 model.

Quick Reply: First year production bugs