Based on C6 when will 2015 info be released and when does building start

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2013, 11:22 AM
Z0Sick6
Le Mans Master

Location: North/Central NJ - a.k.a. Gotti in the CFNE section
Received 1,552 Likes on 529 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Default Based on C6 when will 2015 info be released and when does building start

Just wondering as said in the title
Old 09-15-2013, 12:25 PM
cam30era
Pro

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Z0Sick6
Just wondering as said in the title
Based on 2006 C6, order guide in May. SOP right after shutdown; mid July.
Old 09-15-2013, 12:54 PM
mpuzach
Race Director

Received 1,190 Likes on 594 Posts

Originally Posted by cam30era
Based on 2006 C6, order guide in May. SOP right after shutdown; mid July.
Yup, that's typically been the pattern. We should get all of the 2015 scoop at the museum bash in late April. If history repeats itself, there will also be some pre-production 2015 cars there as well.
Old 09-15-2013, 02:21 PM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I wouldn't base scheduled changes on the C6 history. I really doubt the C7 is going to change at all for the first couple of years if not staying the same for the first 5 years.

The C6 was admittedly rushed in a crappy economy. Small things were fixed here and there every single year, but the big changes happened in 2008 and 2012.

The C7, on the other hand, is being built as a near-perfect car. Quality control is way ramped up and this car has been gone through with a fine-toothed comb. They're doing everything they can to make this car as perfect from the get-go as they can and they've pulled out all the stops.

The chances of them increasing power or whatever are super slim in the first couple years. Maybe in 2017 we'll see a power bump. But I think they have a solid plan of what they're doing with the car already.

The only change I can see happening in the next year or two is the 8-speed auto.
Old 09-15-2013, 02:25 PM
Z0Sick6
Le Mans Master

Location: North/Central NJ - a.k.a. Gotti in the CFNE section
Received 1,552 Likes on 529 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by SCM_Crash
I wouldn't base scheduled changes on the C6 history. I really doubt the C7 is going to change at all for the first couple of years if not staying the same for the first 5 years.

The C6 was admittedly rushed in a crappy economy. Small things were fixed here and there every single year, but the big changes happened in 2008 and 2012.

The C7, on the other hand, is being built as a near-perfect car. Quality control is way ramped up and this car has been gone through with a fine-toothed comb. They're doing everything they can to make this car as perfect from the get-go as they can and they've pulled out all the stops.

The chances of them increasing power or whatever are super slim in the first couple years. Maybe in 2017 we'll see a power bump. But I think they have a solid plan of what they're doing with the car already.

The only change I can see happening in the next year or two is the 8-speed auto.
Bingo, I am hedging my bets that the 2015 car will see a better auto as well as discounts in general on the C7.
Old 09-15-2013, 02:37 PM
Goaty
Pro

Received 199 Likes on 88 Posts

The C6 was admittedly rushed in a crappy economy.
You have it backwards. The C6 was developed when the econony was firing on all cylinders so to speak. The C7 was developed during the financial crisis and as Tadge has said the Corvette team wondered every day if they would come in one day and find out the project was cancelled.

If you want to trash the C6 to build up the C7 that's your choice. But please don't pull facts out of your ***.
Old 09-15-2013, 02:40 PM
mpuzach
Race Director

Received 1,190 Likes on 594 Posts

Even changes from 2005 to 2006 were minimal. What I remember:
  • Automatic transmission went from four speeds to six
  • Steering wheel was changed
  • GM "chiclets" were added
  • Ugly silver plastic interior trim was changed to ugly pewter-colored plastic interior trim
  • XM radio antenna was moved to outside mirrors
  • Z06 was introduced
  • Chrome trim rings were added to HVAC and non-nav radio *****
  • Steel Gray interior color was replaced by Titanium
For the 2015 C7 I doubt that we'll see much other than a couple of color changes and possible the introduction of a Hi-Po version.
Old 09-15-2013, 02:43 PM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,251 Likes on 707 Posts

Originally Posted by Goaty
You have it backwards. The C6 was developed when the econony was firing on all cylinders so to speak. The C7 was developed during the financial crisis and as Tadge has said the Corvette team wondered every day if they would come in one day and find out the project was cancelled.

If you want to trash the C6 to build up the C7 that's your choice. But please don't pull facts out of your ***.

The C6 was designed when the economy was red hot....
Old 09-15-2013, 02:45 PM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Goaty

No, you're right. The C6 was developed in the good economy, but built and sold in a crappy one.

I'm not trashing the C6, actually. While I'm not a big fan of them, that doesn't mean I'm trashing them. I was making a point that the C6 was a hop up and quality control was not even remotely on par with the C7s. Since the C6 wasn't a ground up car, there was less to go over (so to speak).

My point was very clear. It was not trashing the C6. It was stating that they're doing the C7 right from the get-go so don't expect the there to be any major changes [other than the auto transmission] in the first couple of years. The LS2 wasn't ground up. The LS3 wasn't either. The LT1 is. The LS1 didn't see any changes from 97 to 2000. And the only reason it changed in 2001 was because of the LS6.

The LT1 was quite obviously built to handle both the standard and the hi-po Corvettes. So don't expect changes in it. Of course, they'll probably slap a blower on it and call it something else, but it will really just be a blown LT1.
Old 09-15-2013, 02:45 PM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by mpuzach
Even changes from 2005 to 2006 were minimal. What I remember:
  • Automatic transmission went from four speeds to six
  • Steering wheel was changed
  • GM "chiclets" were added
  • Ugly silver plastic interior trim was changed to ugly pewter-colored plastic interior trim
  • XM radio antenna was moved to outside mirrors
  • Z06 was introduced
  • Chrome trim rings were added to HVAC and non-nav radio *****
  • Steel Gray interior color was replaced by Titanium
For the 2015 C7 I doubt that we'll see much other than a couple of color changes and possible the introduction of a Hi-Po version.
Don't forget them fixing the exploding diff.
Old 09-15-2013, 02:50 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

how can you know about the quality and quality control of a car that hasn't been in the hands of the customer public as compared to nine years' worth of the prior generation?
Old 09-15-2013, 02:55 PM
laborsmith
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I wonder how the economy was doing in 2004 when the C6 started production? And in 2005, 2006, and 2007 before the bubble started to crack?

By the time the bubble burst the tooling etc costs had been amortized but Chevy still managed to sell 11-12K for the next few years and I think 14K in the C6's last (and shortened) model year.

I trust you understand what I am getting at?

And I would expect similar changed for 2015 including the hi-po but not the eight speed automatic transmission, which transmission I expect will be available for the 2016 model year.

Laborsmith
Old 09-15-2013, 03:01 PM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by laborsmith
I wonder how the economy was doing in 2004 when the C6 started production? And in 2005, 2006, and 2007 before the bubble started to crack?

By the time the bubble burst the tooling etc costs had been amortized but Chevy still managed to sell 11-12K for the next few years and I think 14K in the C6's last (and shortened) model year.

I trust you understand what I am getting at?

And I would expect similar changed for 2015 including the hi-po but not the eight speed automatic transmission, which transmission I expect will be available for the 2016 model year.

Laborsmith
I get your point. Not to be nit-picky, but the economy was already going down late 2006. It just hadn't really trickled down to a point where us [little] people could see it.

The company I worked for (a few very large financial companies under one roof), had already started showing signs of the economy tanking back in 2006. By 2007 they were already going under. Lots of banks went under in 2007. (I remember this very well.) It started with banks that mostly did mortgages and spread like a virus.
Old 09-15-2013, 03:18 PM
LIE2ME
Le Mans Master

Received 4,579 Likes on 1,646 Posts

I agree and that is one of the main reasons I am waiting for the 2015 (that, and the fact my 2012 is only about 18 months old and I can't justify a new car to the wife just yet)...
Old 09-15-2013, 04:25 PM
ChucksZ06
Drifting

Received 55 Likes on 23 Posts

It mostly depends on sales. If sales are good we will wait longer for more power, etc. The upgrades are to keep the public interested and buying. If this economy continues to sputter along sales may slow a bunch once the initial frenzy is satisfied.
Old 09-15-2013, 04:28 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 935 Likes on 489 Posts
Tech Contributor

Just my gut , but I don't think you will see a single major change on the 2015. Maybe some TSB upgrades as they find things that need to be tweaked/fixed but nothing else.
Old 09-15-2013, 04:33 PM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,141 Posts

The simple fact is that upgrades are built into the process from day one. That's what sells new models and that's what the car business is all about.

Get notified of new replies

To Based on C6 when will 2015 info be released and when does building start

Quick Reply: Based on C6 when will 2015 info be released and when does building start