Sponsored by:

Chrome wheels vs black wheels

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2013, 06:26 PM
rbrumm
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Default Chrome wheels vs black wheels

Well I'm going with white but now I'm trying to decide on Chrome wheels. Or black. It will be a z51. Cf roof. And black carbon flash painted mirrors & spoiler. With black interior. I have see a few full side shot pictures with black wheels but no chrome. All the whites with chrome that I have seen have always been at some sort of an angle. I have not seem the full side view. Could anyone with a white z51 with chrome wheels or have picture of one please post a picture or pm me one .

Thanks in advance
The following users liked this post:
Cowboy Troy (06-28-2016)

Popular Reply

06-27-2016, 12:48 PM
sly-1
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Speednet
Yup. The black looks fine on lighter colors, but is a tough call on dark colors. I personally can't stand black wheels on a black car. It doesn't look tough, it looks dirty.

The funny thing about the self-appointed hipsters here claiming black wheels are "in" (and trashing chromies) is that they are pairing them with painted calipers because they also claim the painted calipers are "in". Sorry dudes, painted calipers are on the decline. I know they can look great, but you aren't as hip as you think.

Flame away friends.
Pretty much my thoughts.

The thing here is, while a couple of members that have posted in this thread have made comments like "black wheels are modern" and "you have to be old to like chrome" or something to that effect; black wheels are a fad. Fads come and go and when they go, you know who looks old and out of style.....the ones hanging on to a fad past it's time. Wheels go through fads regularly. I can remember in the past 30 years a number of wheel fads. There were the "batman" style clear coated brushed aluminum with black trim around the designs cut into the wheels, there were the black or gold painted lace wheels like on mid 80's trans ams, then there were the color matched painted lace wheels, there were the gold plated wire wheels, the big offset "bow legged" look, there were the large wheels with the absolute thinnest sidewall look, spinners and double faced spinning wheels and I am probably forgetting one. Anyway, black wheels is the latest fad and it will soon fade and in a few years everyone with black wheels will look like they are living in the past or too broke to get wheels.

You know what they always and I mean always go back to in between fads and it never goes out of style?..... You guessed it, chrome. You always know when a fad has hit it's prime and will soon be going out by it being offered from the factory on new cars. People mod their cars to differentiate theirs from the crowd so when they start coming from the factory with whatever the trend has been, everyone migrates to a new trend.

I personally hate the black wheel look. I thought it would grow on me but I hate it just as much now as I did the first time I saw it. They just simply look like spare tires or government wheels to me. I don't like the way they always look dirty and I don't like the way the detail and design of the wheel disappears at a short distance away. At 50ft you can't tell whether they are $3000 a piece wheels, krylon painted factory wheels that used to be silver or a couple of spare tires. I just simply do not like the look but that is my opinion and to each his own.
Old 10-06-2013, 06:37 PM
0WildVettes
Former Vendor

Received 81 Likes on 77 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by rbrumm
Well I'm going with white but now I'm trying to decide on Chrome wheels. Or black. It will be a z51. Cf roof. And black carbon flash painted mirrors & spoiler. With black interior. I have see a few full side shot pictures with black wheels but no chrome. All the whites with chrome that I have seen have always been at some sort of an angle. I have not seem the full side view. Could anyone with a white z51 with chrome wheels or have picture of one please post a picture or pm me one .

Thanks in advance
In hindsight I would have had the silver wheels chromed myself. I went with black because I couldn't bring myself to pay $500 a wheel for chrome plating. I didn't like silver so I went black. When I swap wheels I will probably go with something like polished. Chrome looks good too. If you end up going that route you can save a ton of money just having them chromed yourself.

Both good choices. You picked the best color
Old 10-06-2013, 06:40 PM
george vee
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,076 Likes on 533 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

With all your black trim I would consider black chrome.
Old 10-06-2013, 06:56 PM
Paulchristian
Melting Slicks

Received 174 Likes on 121 Posts

Best I could find with a quick google search. Gives you at least some perspective...

Last edited by Paulchristian; 10-06-2013 at 07:07 PM.
Old 10-06-2013, 06:59 PM
DonOH
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by george vee
With all your black trim I would consider black chrome.

I've been thinking the same thing about a Blade Silver car with black chrome.
Old 10-06-2013, 07:02 PM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 813 Posts

Originally Posted by Paulchristian
Best I could find with a quick google search. Gives you at least some perspective...

That is how I would order it, saw my first C7 on Wed and it had those chrome wheels and it popped
Old 10-06-2013, 07:23 PM
03SGVETTE
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rbrumm

Thanks in advance
Pics I gathered over the months to help me decide how my AW car will look, hope it helps:
http://brightstarphotos.com/p634843677
Old 10-06-2013, 07:36 PM
QUAKEJAKE
Le Mans Master

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by peter pan
That is how I would order it, saw my first C7 on Wed and it had those chrome wheels and it popped
To the Op,With AW If you want the wheels to "pop" get chrome. But if you want the car to pop go black. The C7 has a large Euro flair within its design and chrome anything has no business being on these cars IMO and I grew up with Cragers being the staple on all the hi-pro cars. My 07 Audi and Even my Merc. C300 have both traded any chrome trim for brushed aluminum and bright silver wheels.
Old 10-06-2013, 07:40 PM
QUAKEJAKE
Le Mans Master

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by 03SGVETTE
Pics I gathered over the months to help me decide how my AW car will look, hope it helps:
http://brightstarphotos.com/p634843677
The AW/black wheels, AR seats is a killer. Almost makes me want to replace my Z. (ALMOST)
Old 10-06-2013, 07:43 PM
sting ya
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Chrome is dated from the 60's. Older folks will go for them for sure. Black is tougher and modern. The c7 is modern = no brainer
ptran00 (02-01-2018)
Old 10-06-2013, 07:46 PM
LouB57
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by QUAKEJAKE
To the Op,With AW If you want the wheels to "pop" get chrome. But if you want the car to pop go black. The C7 has a large Euro flair within its design and chrome anything has no business being on these cars IMO and I grew up with Cragers being the staple on all the hi-pro cars. My 07 Audi and Even my Merc. C300 have both traded any chrome trim for brushed aluminum and bright silver wheels.

Agreed..

Exterior Color has alot to do with how good the Wheel finish looks, IMHO.

On Certain Colors, the Black Wheels really work;
White and Yellow, Silver, Laguna Blue, Red.

Silver/Chrome look better on other colors, such as Black, LRG, NRB, Cyber Gray
Old 10-06-2013, 07:49 PM
58-66NB
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14, '20

Mike Criswell posted some photos of an AW he delivered on this link
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c7-g...-red-pics.html
Old 10-06-2013, 07:56 PM
bill-sj
Instructor

Received 78 Likes on 53 Posts

I think that the best option for AW is the black wheels. awesome contrast and matches the side/hood vents.

in fact, I think the best use of the black wheels is with AW. IMHO....
harmonyp (02-02-2018)
Old 10-06-2013, 08:05 PM
Specracer
Racer

A silver car with black wheels and red calibers in my opinion looks the best. Especially, with the flash painted side mirrors, flash painted rear spoiler, exposed carbon fiber roof, and black leather interior which is the way mine will be! Some of the colors on C7's that have been posted look fantastic with chrome wheels but with silver....I think black looks the best!! No offense to anyone!
Old 10-06-2013, 08:20 PM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,257 Likes on 710 Posts

Originally Posted by bill-sj
I think that the best option for AW is the black wheels. awesome contrast and matches the side/hood vents.

in fact, I think the best use of the black wheels is with AW. IMHO....

And I'm usually a chrome guy..
Old 10-06-2013, 09:51 PM
3GenVettes
Melting Slicks

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Chrome or silver wheels both are better choices with white.

On black wheels the appearance of the wheels are lost, and they simply become a dark blob in wheel wells.

Last edited by 3GenVettes; 10-06-2013 at 09:54 PM.
Old 10-06-2013, 09:54 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,701 Likes on 1,215 Posts

Which do you have the most of? Hair or gold chains?

Get notified of new replies

To Chrome wheels vs black wheels

Old 10-06-2013, 10:00 PM
sting ya
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
Which do you have the most of? Hair or gold chains?
What if you have both
Old 10-06-2013, 11:34 PM
-CM-
Melting Slicks

Received 64 Likes on 35 Posts

Where's that coin toss emoticon?

With Arctic White, I like both black and chrome wheels, and I would have a hard time choosing between the two. I guess it would depend on if the flash mirrors/spoiler option was in the mix. I think I'd go with black in that case.
Old 10-07-2013, 12:01 AM
Dusty Starbucks
Racer

Everybody has an opinion. That opinion is their own and most can't accept someone else's and spend enormous amounts of time trying to change other's opinions (rarely happens).

My opinion is that black wheels detract not add (agree with some that it looks tougher, but in a tank sort of way), chrome wheels are pretty old school and you do see them on the Lexus more often than not. I will go with painted, nice middle road and when I see a set that really does the car justice, get those. I will be looking to freshen it up in a year anyway.

Quick Reply: Chrome wheels vs black wheels