Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2015 C7 Upgrades???

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2013, 04:25 PM
Paulchristian
Melting Slicks

Received 174 Likes on 121 Posts

I am hoping for the brownstone suede interior package to be available in black. GM needs to make the suede package available in the brownstone interior available in all the colors.
Old 11-16-2013, 06:30 PM
IMMD
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Chicago1
Isn't the automatic almost as fast as a dct I thought I read? Just as boring to IMO.
I haven't read anything about it, but the paddles seemed VERY sluggish compared to the current generation PDK. I'm in agreement that a manual would be more fun, however, we ordered an automatic because my wife can't drive a standard and I don't think that a brand new stingray is the car for her to learn on.

Conversely, the PDK I found to be more fun to drive than a manual. Shifts were instantaneous. The dealer told me that shifts are measured in msec. I was driving a 265 hp Cayman base model. It was very fun. If the C7 didn't come with a lower price tag with better options and more power, I would chose the porsche just for the transmission. Maybe I'm easily entertained?
Old 11-16-2013, 07:48 PM
gthal
Safety Car

Received 1,170 Likes on 486 Posts

Originally Posted by IMMD
I haven't read anything about it, but the paddles seemed VERY sluggish compared to the current generation PDK. I'm in agreement that a manual would be more fun, however, we ordered an automatic because my wife can't drive a standard and I don't think that a brand new stingray is the car for her to learn on.

Conversely, the PDK I found to be more fun to drive than a manual. Shifts were instantaneous. The dealer told me that shifts are measured in msec. I was driving a 265 hp Cayman base model. It was very fun. If the C7 didn't come with a lower price tag with better options and more power, I would chose the porsche just for the transmission. Maybe I'm easily entertained?
I had a similar experience with the DCT in the M3... I actually liked it MORE than the manual which surprised me. I have never liked an automatic (even the new and fast shifting ones) as much. When/if GM puts a proper DCT in the Corvette I will definitely trade in my M7 for the DCT.
Old 11-16-2013, 07:48 PM
No Shot
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

For 2015 I wish for more driving time in my 2014!
Old 11-16-2013, 09:27 PM
BPhillyc8
Burning Brakes

Received 117 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by C7_Stingray

Enjoying the C7 every day... no **** retentive complaints over minor issues here.

I wouldn't be surprised if some items from the 2LT (such as HUD?) perhaps become standard and the 2LT price decreases... but then again I wouldn't be surprised if options like the Z51 package increase in price. Who knows, we'll see next year...
Old 11-16-2013, 10:53 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,431 Likes on 2,268 Posts

hi-po model.
Old 11-16-2013, 11:59 PM
svtkeith
Melting Slicks

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by OnPoint
hi-po model.

Yep!!!
Old 11-17-2013, 01:04 AM
speedlink
Safety Car

Received 599 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by Chicago1
Yes but doesn't tell you if the targa is latched or not. Same concept as seatbelts. If the targa latch isn't in it's closed position then you would get targa ajar so you won't have the thing flying off. I'm sure there is a way they can detect if it's unlatched and get a warning vs it actually off and no warning. Like I said we have the technology...Cost is cheap for some sensors..

Me personally I have almost been part of the FRC(flying roof club) but caught it in time. I just hear a lot of people wanting it that's why I brought it up. Figure the car has so many damn safety features and gizmos why not something that's actually very useful?
The flying roof club had nothing to do with unlatched tops.

It was a de-lamination problem. The whole roof didn't come. Just the skin.
Old 11-17-2013, 07:33 AM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by IMMD

Originally Posted by gthal
I had a similar experience with the DCT in the M3... I actually liked it MORE than the manual which surprised me. I have never liked an automatic (even the new and fast shifting ones) as much. When/if GM puts a proper DCT in the Corvette I will definitely trade in my M7 for the DCT.
Slushbox automatics can be programmed to shift as fast, but manufacturers today put in a certain amount of "torque management" to smooth the shifts and presumably save the transmission. Audi apparently is bucking that trend with the eight speed auto that they actually use in their highest hp cars (up to 560 today). Maybe GM can get it right.
Old 11-17-2013, 08:00 AM
Naples FL
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 168 Likes on 90 Posts

Until you drive a C7 A6....your comments are worthless...
Old 11-17-2013, 08:07 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill17601
That transmission thing is not looking good. The eight speed GM- Ford project is for engines with much less torque. Extra gears are not as important with gobs of torque. What good comes out of adding an extra gear to the standard shift 6 speeds? Mostly marketing rather then practicality.
Not every engine GM makes has "gobs" of torque. If GM feels there is a need for an eight speed transmission for the Silverado with the base V6 engine, and the 5.3L V8, and the Camaro with the V6, etc and other front rear drive cars then they will discontinue the six speed transmission and then offer a high torque capacity version of the eight speed transmission for the high torque engine V8 in the Silverado Camaro and a variant for the transaxle corvette.

Not enough volume with the Corvette to keep building a six speed auto for it while building a completely different eight speed transmission for the trucks/Camaro/other rear drive cars.
Old 11-17-2013, 08:07 AM
gthal
Safety Car

Received 1,170 Likes on 486 Posts

Originally Posted by 9157
Until you drive a C7 A6....your comments are worthless...
I have to disagree... the comments are not "worthless."

All reports are the A6 isn't as capable as the ZF 8 speed. The ZF isn't as good, IMO, as a true DCT. Therefore the A6 is not either... how are the comments worthless? I agree the best is to have driven the car and then comment but there are very reasonable extrapolations based on real experiences that make these comments far from worthless.

I'm sure the A6 is a decent auto (confirmed by most reports) and more than capable for DD duties and the strip but it is far from a shining example of the C7s capability and technological advancement.

Last edited by gthal; 11-17-2013 at 08:15 AM.
Old 11-17-2013, 09:43 AM
MThomas
Safety Car

Received 117 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by jagamajajaran
everything is speculative at this point...just as it is speculative that you will be among the living so you can enjoy driving a new c7 in a year. I'm all for buying one as soon as possible if it's something you want and can afford.
amen!!!!
Old 11-17-2013, 10:04 AM
Bill17601
AIR FORCE VETERAN
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 439 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by joesc5
not every engine gm makes has "gobs" of torque. I never said they did. If gm feels there is a need for an eight speed transmission for the silverado with the base v6 engine, and the 5.3l v8, and the camaro with the v6, etc and other front rear drive cars then they will discontinue the six speed transmission and then offer a high torque capacity version of the eight speed transmission for the high torque engine v8 in the silverado camaro and a variant for the transaxle corvette. What you just wrote makes no sense. You talk about the base engine and 5.3 v8 which are not high torque engines then switch to high torque engines.

Not enough volume with the corvette to keep building a six speed auto for it while building a completely different eight speed transmission for the trucks/camaro/other rear drive cars.
. I agree. However it is not nessasary to build to build 8 speed transmissions for high torque engines. Thus the 8 speed,in my opinion will be for smaller low torque engines. The eight speed auto makes as much sense as adding another gear to the manual trans vett.
Old 11-17-2013, 10:30 AM
PaulB
Melting Slicks

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Chevrolet has got to do something about all of these constraints. I can see one once in a while but having all of the contraints they do have is awful. Several of us were talking the other day and one fellow thinks the Z51 constraint has to do with Wixom being shut down and in the future the dry simp motors being put together at BG. He seems to think the lack of the Dry Sump motors right now are the issue for the availaility problems. Sounds possible to me. Never the less, Chevrolet needs to get their act together ...
Old 11-17-2013, 10:37 AM
Bill17601
AIR FORCE VETERAN
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 439 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by PaulB
Chevrolet has got to do something about all of these constraints. I can see one once in a while but having all of the contraints they do have is awful. Several of us were talking the other day and one fellow thinks the Z51 constraint has to do with Wixom being shut down and in the future the dry simp motors being put together at BG. He seems to think the lack of the Dry Sump motors right now are the issue for the availaility problems. Sounds possible to me. Never the less, Chevrolet needs to get their act together ...
If you guys would stop buying C7's they would have no problems. It seems people are asking for too many cars with too much stuff. It has to stop.
Old 11-17-2013, 10:51 AM
Chicago1
Race Director

Received 321 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by speedlink
The flying roof club had nothing to do with unlatched tops.

It was a de-lamination problem. The whole roof didn't come. Just the skin.
I'm talking about the targas. If you didn't latch it that bad boy went airborn..

Get notified of new replies

To 2015 C7 Upgrades???

Old 11-17-2013, 10:58 AM
Neil Baker
Burning Brakes

Received 68 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by jagamajajaran
My 2014 came with a Blind Spot System. It's called "side view mirrors" and they work surprisingly well!

JK...I know what you mean.

But the mirrors do the job if you adjust them correctly.
We have the blind spot system on our Taurus and I keep reminding myself to keep looking in the mirror for a car next to me, not just look for the yellow indicator light, if the LIGHT fails and you are not looking in the actual mirror, it will be lights out. WE are suppose to be DRIVING our Corvettes, not computers.
Old 11-17-2013, 11:19 AM
gwalsh88
Burning Brakes

Received 803 Likes on 163 Posts

[QUOTE=C7_Stingray;1585441513]:
Enjoying the C7 every day... no **** retentive complaints over minor issues here.
QUOTE]

Old 11-17-2013, 11:19 AM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 907 Likes on 473 Posts
Tech Contributor

VERSUS other cars in this class/segment - this car should have lane departure, blind spot and frontal collision warning using the side mirror cams from the first two. Nevermind the crap that "I bought the car to drive it", it should have these as it's cheap and others have them. And its a bit like HUD, which everyone hated and dissed at first, it works very well...

Quick Reply: 2015 C7 Upgrades???