Sponsored by:

Feelin' kinda sick

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2014, 11:14 PM
wayles
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Feelin' kinda sick

SO I go to a dealer here in Cincinnati where a friend of mine works who's big into Corvette racing. I go there because I only want my friend working on my car. Not knowing about allocations and all that stuff, I talk with a salesman and wind up ordering a car. Torch red 2LT Z51 and a lot of other goodies.

The salesman is upfront with me and explains they don't have any more Z51 allocations for 2014 but takes my order and tells me I'm next in line if they get an additional one. Also, I will be first in line for a 2015 if no 2014 materializes. I don't know how many allocations they got for 2014 and I'm beginning to worry about how quickly a Z51 allocation will come their way in 2015. Therefor, I may be waiting longer then August or September.

The real kicker is they took a $5000.00 deposit on the car. They do this, they say, because they've been burned by guys ordering cars at multiple dealerships, then taking the first one that comes in, leaving the others holding the bag on cars that may be more difficult to sell.

Had I been smart enough to join this forum before looking for my car, I would have probably gone with one of the sponsors who have a large allocation.

Here's my question. My car is sitting at 1100 right now. Is the dealer able to cancel that order, especially since they can't fill it? If so, then hopefully I will be able to get my deposit back.

Thanks in advance for your advise.
Old 04-11-2014, 11:22 PM
~Stingray
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 264 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17, '19

As far as I know. That status number means they are not building it yet; so yes you should be able to. I am sure someone who is 100% certain will chime in. But if you don't want to wait, you can call one of the bigger dealers you mentioned and ask them about your status. They will know for sure and then you talk to them about your order and what they have available.
Old 04-11-2014, 11:24 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 926 Likes on 484 Posts
Tech Contributor

that order is totally changeable and the dealer is not hanging out at all

get all your money back now....no deposit at his point is "non-refundable"
Old 04-12-2014, 01:22 AM
air86
Burning Brakes

Received 77 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Glen e
that order is totally changeable and the dealer is not hanging out at all

get all your money back now....no deposit at his point is "non-refundable"
Unless he signed something. Like kerbeck has a contract that if the vehicle couldnt be produced by a certain date, at that point the buyer would be entitled to his deposit. If buyer voluntarily backs out before that date then he would forfeit the deposit.
Old 04-12-2014, 02:11 AM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 926 Likes on 484 Posts
Tech Contributor

Wrong...he pushes it, he can get it back, no matter what he signed at this stage......
Old 04-12-2014, 07:55 AM
Sailfun
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 51 Posts

Depends on what his contract states. The dealer was upfront and honest on his allocations. If the deposit is stated as non refundable then it's up to the goodwill of the dealer if he wants to return it. There is really not much point in a deposit if it's refundable.
Old 04-12-2014, 07:58 AM
FLYNLO
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

The dealer can cancel it. Simple as that.
Old 04-12-2014, 09:21 AM
vetteride4u
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I ordered a car from a local dealer and was at 1100 then find out they didn't have the allocation they said they did! They gave me my deposit back without questions and said the next guy in line will move up to my spot.
Ended up buying a stock car from MacMulkin. They picked me up at the airport and had the car detailed waiting for me. To top it off I had a fun 650 mile drive back to ohio and the car was broken in by the time I got home!
Old 04-12-2014, 09:50 AM
onthebottom
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Tell your dealer you've changed your mind and since they haven't got an accepted order by GM you want your money back. Then call Rick Conti.
Old 04-12-2014, 10:09 AM
air86
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by wayles
SO I go to a dealer here in Cincinnati where a friend of mine works who's big into Corvette racing. I go there because I only want my friend working on my car. Not knowing about allocations and all that stuff, I talk with a salesman and wind up ordering a car. Torch red 2LT Z51 and a lot of other goodies.

The salesman is upfront with me and explains they don't have any more Z51 allocations for 2014 but takes my order and tells me I'm next in line if they get an additional one. Also, I will be first in line for a 2015 if no 2014 materializes. I don't know how many allocations they got for 2014 and I'm beginning to worry about how quickly a Z51 allocation will come their way in 2015. Therefor, I may be waiting longer then August or September.

The real kicker is they took a $5000.00 deposit on the car. They do this, they say, because they've been burned by guys ordering cars at multiple dealerships, then taking the first one that comes in, leaving the others holding the bag on cars that may be more difficult to sell.

Had I been smart enough to join this forum before looking for my car, I would have probably gone with one of the sponsors who have a large allocation.

Here's my question. My car is sitting at 1100 right now. Is the dealer able to cancel that order, especially since they can't fill it? If so, then hopefully I will be able to get my deposit back.

Thanks in advance for your advise.
OP What kind of paperwork did you sign if you signed anything? Did anything state non refundable? If not you have a better shot at getting your refund. An order was placed and you are next in line so that means that there is nobody else in the queue as I would think.
Old 04-12-2014, 12:06 PM
wayles
Racer

First, thanks for the quick responses.

Unfortunately the paper I signed says non-refundable unless due to hardship or price increase for 2015 model. I have a call into the salesman to discuss this and hopefully all will go smoothly. I plan on approaching this in an un-threatening and mature manner.

To be clear, this dealer has done nothing wrong and I don't feel I have been misled by them. I'm mostly concerned with the number of allocations they got for 2014 and what they expect for 2015. If I have to wait till August or September for a 2015, I'm OK with that (although the wait will be H#ll) as long as it doesn't stretch into October or November due to a low allocation on their part.
Old 04-12-2014, 12:18 PM
6spdg37s
Drifting

Received 61 Likes on 46 Posts

First, thanks for the quick responses.

Unfortunately the paper I signed says non-refundable unless due to hardship or price increase for 2015 model. I have a call into the salesman to discuss this and hopefully all will go smoothly. I plan on approaching this in an un-threatening and mature manner.

To be clear, this dealer has done nothing wrong and I don't feel I have been misled by them. I'm mostly concerned with the number of allocations they got for 2014 and what they expect for 2015. If I have to wait till August or September for a 2015, I'm OK with that (although the wait will be H#ll) as long as it doesn't stretch into October or November due to a low allocation on their part.
What do they mean by "hardship" in the contract can mean many thing?
Old 04-12-2014, 12:31 PM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,047 Likes on 821 Posts

This topic has been discussed many times for C5/6 and now C7.
The forum's more credible members checked out when one can/cannot cancel an order. Code 1100 seemed to be the magic number, once it goes higher a commitment becomes firm.

Don't be sick, get ahold of the dealer & state your position.
Bet they'd treat you right.

Sounds like you're dealing with a small rural dealer albeit one qualified to sell/service C7. Your service work would be done by them whether you buy from them or someone else. Common sense dictates they be upright in lieu of giving you a hard time.

It's been my understanding deposits somewhat help curb buyer's remorse & BR is NOT your issue. Your issue is their lack of C7s to sell you.

Drop any one/all of the forum's superstars selling C7 a PM, they'll give you the straight scoop on cancellations. G/L
Old 04-15-2014, 08:52 PM
wayles
Racer

I'm feeling a little better now.

I talked with my salesman yesterday and the dealership is going to (actually already has) refund my deposit. I really appreciate how they treated me, because they really didn't have to refund my money based on how the contract was written, but they didn't give me any trouble. I'm sure he was disappointed, but he did direct me to Coughlin since they're only an hour or so up the road. I will definitely make an effort to direct anyone I know looking for a Chevrolet the him.

I feel kind of like an idiot for not doing my homework first, but waiting for a 2015 due to his lack of allocations, when 2014's are still available from the bigger dealers, was a deal breaker for me. .

I have already made contact with Coughlin and will probably be placing my order tomorrow. Rick said he can probably have my car around late June or early July. Of course, if there's a strike at the plant, then all bets are off, but then we're all in the same boat.

Thanks to all who responded.
Old 04-15-2014, 09:14 PM
Crossed Flags Fan
Melting Slicks

Received 493 Likes on 276 Posts

I talked with my salesman yesterday and the dealership is going to (actually already has) refund my deposit. I really appreciate how they treated me, because they really didn't have to refund my money based on how the contract was written, but they didn't give me any trouble. I'm sure he was disappointed, but he did direct me to Coughlin since they're only an hour or so up the road. I will definitely make an effort to direct anyone I know looking for a Chevrolet the him.

I feel kind of like an idiot for not doing my homework first, but waiting for a 2015 due to his lack of allocations, when 2014's are still available from the bigger dealers, was a deal breaker for me. .

I have already made contact with Coughlin and will probably be placing my order tomorrow. Rick said he can probably have my car around late June or early July. Of course, if there's a strike at the plant, then all bets are off, but then we're all in the same boat.

Nice end to your story. Good luck and see ya on the road
Old 04-15-2014, 09:37 PM
rocket68
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts

If Rick told you that you can have a car by June or early July, I would bet you get your car at that time. He was correct when he told me that I would have mine within 6-8 weeks after placing my order. Got it March 7th. Rick was easy to deal with and truthful during the whole process. Good luck.
Old 04-15-2014, 09:59 PM
v26278
Melting Slicks

Received 147 Likes on 93 Posts

The dealer did the right thing. Sounds to me like they're stand- up folks and that's probably why you trusted them in the first place. No amount of advance homework is going to pay off better than dealing with straight shooters from the get-go.
Old 04-15-2014, 10:19 PM
air86
Burning Brakes

OP- Good to hear that you were able to get your deposit back.

Get notified of new replies

To Feelin' kinda sick

Quick Reply: Feelin' kinda sick