Sponsored by:

tire question on DD C7

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 07:44 AM
Kayir
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default tire question on DD C7

I'll preface this by saying that i'm sorry if it's been discussed but I couldn't easily find it by searching. I have a blade silver non-Z51 on order which I plan on using as my daily driver. I wanted the Z51 for the appearance but I don't track the car and don't plan to and so realistically didn't need most of what the Z51 adds. That said I'm not a huge fan of the stock wheels, don't see the machined face as much of an upgrade and personally i'm not a fan of chrome wheels, so I ordered mine with the base wheels. My plan was to powdercoat them black, or maybe to wrap them in carbon fiber, but now i'm thinking I may go the route of aftermarket 19/20 wheels. If I do that i'm in the position of having to choose tires to go with them. Considering i'm going to be using this as a daily driver, I think i would prefer to go with an ultra high performance all season in a wide size (maybe 255 up front and 295 in back) as a good balance between summer where i'll loose a little performance and winter where i'll gain a lot in terms of grip. does anyone have any suggestions on running a C7 on all seasons rather than summer tires? suggestions on sizes or brands? I had general G max as3 on my old S5 and they were great but I don't think they run this wide and i'd also prefer run flats for the whole jack/spare issue. Any thoughts would be appreciated. . .

thanks
M
Old 04-15-2014, 08:35 AM
Seapar
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think there are several ways to go.
You could do as you suggest and modify the wheels.
It also depends on where you live especially in the winter months. Is there a beater car you can drive in dead of winter?
The wider tires are usually not ideal in winter driving. And all seasons is like a utility baseball player. Competent but not a real star compared to a summer high performance tire IMO.
Consider keeping your base wheels and get all season or winter tires for cold <35 degrees

get aftermarket wheels in whatever size works for you and summer tires for great weather driving.

keep or sell the OEM tires depending if they work for your wheel selection.
Old 04-15-2014, 09:15 AM
mjw930
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

If maintaining run flat is a requirement and you don't want the stock tires then your best (and only) option is to stick with the 18/19" size.

I would do a set of TSW wheels with Bridgestone RE960AS RFT's. Michelin also has an all season RFT in those sizes but it's the older tire and it's not that good.
Old 04-15-2014, 09:24 AM
C8Jake
Race Director

Received 5,416 Likes on 2,535 Posts

Originally Posted by mjw930
I'd do a set of TSW wheels.
Attached Images  
Old 04-15-2014, 09:32 AM
Kayir
Racer

sorry, I should add that while I plan on using it year round as my daily driver I also went out and bought a CR-V for the snow and worst of it. . .but the other 340 days a year, basically whenever it's not snowing or really storming badly out I want to be in that vette enjoying it!

seapar: I certainly get the point that I'm going to lose some grip moving away from a summer tire, but if i'm using it to drive regular roads, even aggressively, and not track the car, am i REALLY going to feel that difference? I tend to think not so much. . .however in the winter, not in the snow but just the cold, when the summers will be hockey pucks and the all seasons will still be soft, I think the difference WILL be noticable. unless someone tells me i'm wrong.

mjw: are you saying that 19/20 all season run flats don't exist? i'm pretty sure i saw a few of them on one of the tire sites. . .

thanks again to all for any advice.
Old 04-15-2014, 10:27 AM
kp
Melting Slicks

Received 119 Likes on 96 Posts

Honesty I think the stock silver wheels look pretty good on a silver car, and they are super easy to clean on top of it. The funny rear offset where the spokes stick out is what I dont like about them, had to do it for the larger calipers I guess.

I daily drive mine except in snow/salt and really bad rain and the stock tires do a good job, even in 10 degree weather, just have to watch the grip. I would wait a bit and see how the stock stuff works, I thought I would replace the wheels and tires right away but I kind of like them now, more of a classy look but not very exciting as far as wheel design. I will probably end up with some kind of A/S runflat in the 18/19 sizes if I wear the stock tires out.
Old 04-15-2014, 10:32 AM
Kyflyer
Burning Brakes

Received 81 Likes on 66 Posts

We changed to the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3's and love the tires. Quieter ride, better inclement weather handling, and a much smoother ride. We carry the VIAIR 90 12 volt compressor and the Dynaplug for emergencies. If the tire is destroyed there is always Onstar. If anyone wants a set of 19 & 18 run flats ours are for sale.
Old 04-15-2014, 10:54 AM
Seapar
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have no experience with all seasons even though live in the Pacific Northwest. Read the tire rack reviews on these tires; use search for the a/s 3's and PM some forum members who have posted about their experience. Ask around your area for wheel refinishing shops. Some say powdercoating wheels weaken them. Not sure if that is true. Check it out. Good luck.
Old 04-15-2014, 12:50 PM
Stangslayer
Racer

Received 75 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Kayir
sorry, I should add that while I plan on using it year round as my daily driver I also went out and bought a CR-V for the snow and worst of it. . .but the other 340 days a year, basically whenever it's not snowing or really storming badly out I want to be in that vette enjoying it!

seapar: I certainly get the point that I'm going to lose some grip moving away from a summer tire, but if i'm using it to drive regular roads, even aggressively, and not track the car, am i REALLY going to feel that difference? I tend to think not so much. . .however in the winter, not in the snow but just the cold, when the summers will be hockey pucks and the all seasons will still be soft, I think the difference WILL be noticable. unless someone tells me i'm wrong.

mjw: are you saying that 19/20 all season run flats don't exist? i'm pretty sure i saw a few of them on one of the tire sites. . .

thanks again to all for any advice.
Yes, run flats for the Z51 do not exsist!
Secondly, I run the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3's and will never put hte OE tires back on. Much better ride, no tire skipping and I have not experienced any loss of traction! I will never track the car so I will never see/feel the difference. By the way, Michelin calls them High Performance All Season Tires and I agree!
Old 04-15-2014, 01:17 PM
Modshack
Safety Car

Received 444 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by kp
Honesty I think the stock silver wheels look pretty good on a silver car, and they are super easy to clean on top of it. .
I agree...Though I'm going to Plastidip mine in Antracite (close match to my cyber stripes) and see how they look. If I don't like it, I'll peel it off. Stay tuned!

Old 04-15-2014, 02:25 PM
Kayir
Racer

stangslayer, so you went with a non run flat AS. . .what do you use if you get a flat?

kp, modshack, don't mean to put down the stock wheels, but it's just not a look that i want to go for. I tend to like bigger wheels. . .that being said, i don't think the pics ever do those 5 spokes justice, so i'll likely wait and see mine in person before making a decision. At worst i still think i'm going to powdercoat blk or in a carbon fiber wrap. I just want a little more contrast with the wheels being on a silver car (and yellow calipers) love the silver car though, best color in my (biased) opinion.
Old 04-15-2014, 10:42 PM
mjw930
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Stangslayer
Yes, run flats for the Z51 do not exsist!
Secondly, I run the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3's and will never put hte OE tires back on. Much better ride, no tire skipping and I have not experienced any loss of traction! I will never track the car so I will never see/feel the difference. By the way, Michelin calls them High Performance All Season Tires and I agree!
You don't need to track the car to feel the difference but if you can't then the tires you chose work for you.

However you did lose cornering, braking acceleration and steering precision going to the A/S 3's or any all season tire, you just don't sense it but others shouldn't believe there isn't a loss in capability.

Get notified of new replies

To tire question on DD C7

Quick Reply: tire question on DD C7