Old 06-04-2014, 08:36 AM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by Rock'n Blue 08
Gets huge respect the C7 doesn't get.
I think maybe to a very small crowd this may be true. But to the general public, the ZR1 is just an old Corvette. Heck, most people don't even know what it is and can't tell it from a base Corvette, much less a Grand Sport or Z06.
S.
Old 06-04-2014, 09:14 AM
bdanyluk
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

Don't forget those $10,000 brakes on the ZR1.

If you are rich....buy the ZR1.

If not....the C7.
Old 06-04-2014, 11:47 AM
musclecar6
Le Mans Master

Received 148 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Snorman
I think maybe to a very small crowd this may be true. But to the general public, the ZR1 is just an old Corvette. Heck, most people don't even know what it is and can't tell it from a base Corvette, much less a Grand Sport or Z06.
S.

I totally agree. To none car enthusiasts, the C6 and prior generations are just old vettes. The C7 has really caught the eye of the general public far more than any new vette in recent history.
Old 06-04-2014, 11:52 AM
Marioshi
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jasonn5
Pulled the trigger on the ZR1. I just couldn't help it. The car is absolutely stunning. It even has warranty until 9/2015
The C7 is also nice but as someone said I can pick one up at anytime in the future. No I wouldn't mess with the C7 engine due to warranty issues. The ZR1 just seemed right at the time. Keep it for awhile and if the itch gets to strong buy a C7.. Thanks..Mike

Wow, congrats! Pics or it didn't happen...as they say.
Old 06-04-2014, 12:34 PM
Big Dan 427
Safety Car

Funny how even Corvette people show no regard for the baddest Vette ever built. The
ZR1 turned in one of the fastest times ever at Nurburgring and on many courses here in the states and around 3000 have ever been built. Anyone who thinks the C7 is a better car to have should get their head examined, 3k built per month equates to just another dime a dozen Corvette unlike the iconic ZR.
Old 06-04-2014, 12:45 PM
kp
Melting Slicks

Received 119 Likes on 96 Posts

S.
That is true most couldnt tell a ZR1 from a GS or C6 Z06. But its really hard to beat the warrantied power of the ZR1, it was the best performing corvette ever. At least until the C6 Z06/ZR1 or whatever rolls around.

That is if you dont mind the 2005 era interior and tech, but if you are into pure performance the C7 will lag behind. I drive a cheap C7, but if I wanted a something special in a Corvette and was looking to spend 75K+ on a C7 I would seriously look at a ZR1.
Old 06-04-2014, 12:58 PM
Glenn Quagmire
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 604 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by jasonn5
Pulled the trigger on the ZR1. I just couldn't help it. The car is absolutely stunning. It even has warranty until 9/2015
The C7 is also nice but as someone said I can pick one up at anytime in the future. No I wouldn't mess with the C7 engine due to warranty issues. The ZR1 just seemed right at the time. Keep it for awhile and if the itch gets to strong buy a C7.. Thanks..Mike
Congrats! Come join us over in the ZR section.
Old 06-04-2014, 01:52 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

S.
Thats a sour grapes answer. Very small crowd!
Small very small crowd knows what a C7 is too!
If they know what a Viper is they know a ZR1! Everytime I get gas someone notices! Thumbs up at redlights and camera shots.
Just like the C7 does! In the long run it will carry better than just base C7! You really know your cars!
Old 06-04-2014, 03:08 PM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Thats a sour grapes answer. Very small crowd!
Small very small crowd knows what a C7 is too!
If they know what a Viper is they know a ZR1! Everytime I get gas someone notices! Thumbs up at redlights and camera shots.
Just like the C7 does! In the long run it will carry better than just base C7! You really know your cars!
Lol...why would it be a "sour grapes" answer? If I wanted a ZR1, I would have bought a ZR1.
The fact is that I've seen ZR1's sit largely unnoticed at shows and track events (the latter you would know very little about). And most non-car people couldn't tell one from any other wide body C6 or even a base C6.
The "long run" means nothing to me. ZR1's have taken a pounding on the used market. Maybe they'll recover in 20-years, maybe not. Either way I wouldn't be keeping my C7 that long so not sure what your point is.
S.
Old 06-04-2014, 03:27 PM
C4jgriffin
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I vote for the ZR1- I have a 08 C6 base and an 09 Z06, and a friend let me drive his ZR1. It was like a different car, sounds, road feel. I haven't driven the C7, but I would have a rough time believing it would be as far above an 09 Z06 as the ZR1 is. Who has driven/tracked both? that would be interesting. I did ride with a fellow who had a ZR1, (2) Z06, and a C6R (street version with the 8 liter Pratt Miller motor), and he didn't like the ZR1 as well as the Z06 or especially the C6R on the track. I got the ride in the C6R on an autocross track in the west lot of Qualcomm Stadium in San Diego. Talk about an ultimate Corvette that is it.
Old 06-04-2014, 03:32 PM
Diver Down
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Don't be a round lighter. Just say NO.

The C7 is exotic and amazing. The choice is obvious.
Old 06-04-2014, 03:51 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Lol...why would it be a "sour grapes" answer? If I wanted a ZR1, I would have bought a ZR1.
The fact is that I've seen ZR1's sit largely unnoticed at shows and track events (the latter you would know very little about). And most non-car people couldn't tell one from any other wide body C6 or even a base C6.
The "long run" means nothing to me. ZR1's have taken a pounding on the used market. Maybe they'll recover in 20-years, maybe not. Either way I wouldn't be keeping my C7 that long so not sure what your point is.
S.
The ZR1 still is the most respected US MADE factory Sports car on the road. Pounding? I will get every dime back on mine!
All new car buyers take a pounding. Gotta be a reason the bank valued it at 90k though!
The C7 won't do that or a Viper! 2014 Viper is the one where the BOTTOM fell out! best not go there.
I don't have time for driving or attending track events. Nothing to prove there but it seems the ZR1 are well respected there too!
What is out running those thats stock? If your not into modding the Zr1 is the car to have
If a ZR1 sits unnoticed. What does the Ford GT 500 do. Wasn't aware those are EVEN tracked. I decided to sell mine for too many cars.
Then the fact the ZO6 is just better if you want to mod it it's the best or just jump in and drive. So I'm doing another build on it.
Ordering parts now!
2 Corvette's that are faster on the road than the new Z06 is plenty!

Last edited by 3 Z06ZR1; 06-05-2014 at 02:56 AM.
Old 06-04-2014, 04:11 PM
Big Dan 427
Safety Car

I'm not sure what you mean by "most respected" but the ZR1 is not the creme de la creme of US built sports cars.
Old 06-04-2014, 07:23 PM
motomanvette
Melting Slicks

Received 89 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by musclecar6
I totally agree. To none car enthusiasts, the C6 and prior generations are just old vettes. The C7 has really caught the eye of the general public far more than any new vette in recent history.
And that 638hp is really closer to 590 on a warm day. I've driven a new Zr1 and was unimpressed, especially the lazy delivery of it's low-end TQ. The C7 seems to do everything better except go faster in a straight line. I think the C7 is better car overall and you can pop the top off.
Old 06-04-2014, 08:57 PM
CORVETTEZL1001
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

S.
I would take the C7 without question, I like it better in every way. My C7 gets 10 times the attention my 09 ZR1 ever got.
Old 06-04-2014, 11:55 PM
jasonn5
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default C7 or ZR1

I apologize for starting this thread. I said I have never asked for an opinion before and you can be sure I won't ask again. I made a mistake.

This isn't about whether the C7 or the Zr1 is better. Its about a corvette and which one would suit my needs. Of course I am the only one who can answer that.
All corvettes are good. They had to start somewhere, even if they were 6 cylinders with autos. Each generation has something to offer. It doesn't mean each succeeding generation is better for any particular individual. It is more than numbers, or my car is faster than yours or I have aluminum frames and you only have steel. Each car means something different to different people. They are different not necessarily better for everyone.
I don't understand why there is such animosity by some people just because they have what they perceive to be the best corvette ever. Think about it, each generation allowed for the next generation to be created. So suddenly when the next generation comes out the preceding generation is crap. That just isn't so.
I guess what it boils down to if you have nothing positive to contribute, it is better to say nothing.
Thanks for your time and responses. Mike

Get notified of new replies

To C7 or ZR1

Old 06-05-2014, 12:26 AM
Lavender
Melting Slicks

Received 320 Likes on 172 Posts

The ZR1 still is the most respected US MADE factory car on the road. Pounding? I will get every dime back on mine!
All new car buyers take a pounding. Gotta be a reason the bank valued it at 90k though!
The C7 won't do that or a Viper! 2014 Viper is the one where the BOTTOM fell out! best not go there.
I don't have time for driving or attending track events. Nothing to prove there but it seems the ZR1 are well respected there too!
What is out running those thats stock? If your not into modding the Zr1 is the car to have
If a ZR1 sits unnoticed. What does the Ford GT 500 do. Wasn't aware those are EVEN tracked. I decided to sell mine for too many cars.
Then the fact the ZO6 is just better if you want to mod it it's the best or just jump in and drive. So I'm doing another build on it.
Ordering parts now!
Thanks for the laughs!
Old 06-05-2014, 03:01 AM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

The ZR1 still is the most respected US MADE factory Sports car on the road. Pounding? I will get every dime back on mine!
Ordering parts now!
Originally Posted by Lavender
Thanks for the laughs!
You mean thanks for the laugh! "pastel"
Tell us more about some of your Corvette knowledge and experience!
That is a big laugh!
Just forgot to add "Sports car now it is correct!
Name 1 us made mass produced sports car that's better with more performance?
Old 06-05-2014, 05:56 AM
Big Dan 427
Safety Car

Name 1 us made mass produced sports car that's better with more performance?
The Viper.

Quick Reply: C7 or ZR1