Sponsored by:

Z F 1 - Funny Stuff?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2014, 09:37 PM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan Dlabay
I don't care what anybody thinks. It's my car.

I wonder if the OP is going to mock all the CF members already with confirmed ZF1 2014 orders... and the CF members with 2015 ZF1 C7's on order?
Old 06-23-2014, 09:49 PM
Bill17601
AIR FORCE VETERAN
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 439 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Mercury

I wonder if the OP is going to mock all the CF members already with confirmed ZF1 2014 orders... and the CF members with 2015 ZF1 C7's on order?
No he is going to sell them Z-51 badges for their fenders...they would buy them too to complete the illusion ...
Old 06-23-2014, 10:30 PM
drewauby5
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Z51 vs ZF1

Originally Posted by Dave@Kerbeck.com
You beat me to it! I was in a GM meeting back in 2008 where dealers were screaming for an automatic Z06. I told them they didn't need auto Z06, they just needed a regular car with the Z06 body. The other dealers said I was crazy but GM asked me why. I told them that 75% of the people buying the Z06 were buying it for the look not the performance. If you look at the Z06 sales numbers after the Grand Sport came out you'll see I was correct.

This is the same thing. Back in November I told the factory that if they wanted to solve their Z51 constraint problem, all they had to do was make the Z51 wheel available on the non-Z51 car. The bulk of the people buying Z51 will never use it's mechanical components and are only buying it for the look.

Dave
Dave, So if you were to order a ZF1 to get the look of the Z51, the only visual difference is the difference in brake size and caliper color, correct?? What is the aero package that is referenced with the Z51?? I am just torn as to what to order as I know I will never use the track performance of the z51 and I don't want the NPP because I am going to install a corsa xpipe and exhaust thus if I can save a few dollars, I may go the ZF1 route..Thanks in advance, Andrew
Old 06-23-2014, 10:36 PM
Dr. ice
Melting Slicks

Received 957 Likes on 608 Posts

Originally Posted by Art-2008
I bought a Z51 at the "old price" and I feel great
I will be buying a Z51 at the new price and I am sure I will be as happy as you! I personally wanted the 8 Spd auto so the wait is worth it too me. I am especially happy GM has came out with the ZF1 package for those who like the look. This will hopefully reduce the demand on the Z51 pkg and make it easier to get for those who want it! Sounds like a win win in my book.
Old 06-23-2014, 11:37 PM
C7 4 Me
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Quick99
I see Chevrolet has created a new option for us to spend even more money on. Yes, its an "almost Z51" designed for owners who like the look of the real deal but not the ride.

Now this is not a bad thing, unless you paid $$$ for a real Z51 then I suspect you feel a little cheated.

And, it looks to me that the guys at GM felt a litte guilty which is why they gave the new choice an RPO code of ZF1
which stands for Zee Fake One.....
I don't understand people who think someone else's car has any kind of effect on their own.

That's just ridiculous. I got a Z51 because *I wanted one* - not because it has jack to do with whatever anyone else is doing.

I think you have some major disappointment on the way. When that new Z06 is unleashed, we're all just "driving the base model." You will probably care, and I definitely won't. I enjoy my car, and no one else's car has any effect on that.
Old 06-24-2014, 12:05 AM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 934 Likes on 488 Posts
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by C7 4 Me
I don't understand people who think someone else's car has any kind of effect on their own.

That's just ridiculous. I got a Z51 because *I wanted one* - not because it has jack to do with whatever anyone else is doing.

I think you have some major disappointment on the way. When that new Z06 is unleashed, we're all just "driving the base model." You will probably care, and I definitely won't. I enjoy my car, and no one else's car has any effect on that.
well said....
Old 06-24-2014, 12:26 AM
nous defions
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Quick99
I see Chevrolet has created a new option for us to spend even more money on. Yes, its an "almost Z51" designed for owners who like the look of the real deal but not the ride.

Now this is not a bad thing, unless you paid $$$ for a real Z51 then I suspect you feel a little cheated.

And, it looks to me that the guys at GM felt a litte guilty which is why they gave the new choice an RPO code of ZF1
which stands for Zee Fake One.....
If you are a real "car guy" and you got the performance package for what it was designed, then there is no reason to cry about how someone else's car "looks" like yours.

If you got the Z51 option to pose as a guy that drives his car hard on the track, but you really just did it for the appearance, then, yes, you'd feel a bit cheated.

In fact, there is something rather honest about the guys that got the ZF1 option. Those fellas just wanted the look of the car and likely care very little if yours does better cornering at the track. They are not likely to ever track their car anyway. Who's the real poser?

Last edited by nous defions; 06-24-2014 at 12:45 AM.
Old 06-24-2014, 12:27 AM
nous defions
Pro

Originally Posted by Glen e
well said....
Agreed.
Old 06-24-2014, 01:14 AM
CORVETTEZL1001
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

One of the best options on the C7 that's only available with the Z51 is the magnetic suspension. So you can get the look with the ZF1 but your missing the awesome magnetic suspension.
Old 06-24-2014, 01:50 AM
mark1107
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Originally Posted by Zymurgy
I own a Z51 and I do not feel the slightest bit "cheated". The people that buy this option are the one's that should feel cheated. They get the looks but none of the real goodies and pay almost as much as the real deal.

I sure don't feel cheated. I feel like I got a deal!
Old 06-24-2014, 09:17 AM
chas70
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by FEEDMESLURPIES
The Z51 package was the deal of the century on 2014s. Few will dispute that.

As for whether someone "uses it" or not, I've actually seen quite a few reviews on video and in print that said that it is noticeable even for daily drivers the difference and that it's a lot more of a spirited drive with the Z51. These are opinions, of course, and most people seem to be firmly in their corners for some silly reason, but there are those who don't track cars who will get enjoyment out of it if they ordered it. I certainly do not disagree with Dave though that there were many who ordered it for appearance alone. Multiple things can be true here and certainly seem to be.

In my opinion, for what it's worth, the ZF1 was a great move for GM as a half measure to allow for, as Dave said, people who wanted the appearance to get it and also to loosen up constraint on those who want the full Z51 package. It's also, most importantly for GM, a winner on the financials because as discussed it's nearly the same price as the 2014 Z51 package for hardly any of the cost to GM resulting in more profit.

I would argue that the Z51 package was priced incorrectly in 2014 and consumers benefitted from it. Those who took advantage were fortunate to do so. But few who did I doubt think themselves superior because of it, just like 3LT isn't superior to 2LT which isn't superior to 1LT. They're just choices that people made.
I agree. I don't believe there is all this snobbishness that seems to be pointed out in this forum. I think people buy what they want and can justify for the money they want to spend. What ever a person buys should be OK with everybody else.
Old 06-24-2014, 09:43 AM
nous defions
Pro

Originally Posted by chas70
I agree. I don't believe there is all this snobbishness that seems to be pointed out in this forum. I think people buy what they want and can justify for the money they want to spend. What ever a person buys should be OK with everybody else.
The "snobbishness" is apparent when members start threads such as this one. I have read countless of threads on here about how one model of one Corvette is a poser for another model. Is it the majority on here? I don't believe so. But, there are a few juveniles here and there.

When the new Z06 comes out, there will be some who will scoff at many of the current "base" Corvette drivers. When (and IF) GM offers a wide-body version of the C7 that is not a Z06 (a la "Grand Sport"), some of these guys' heads will explode.
Old 06-24-2014, 09:45 AM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 934 Likes on 488 Posts
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by nous defions
But, there are a few juveniles here and there.
agreed...it's gotten better, but there are 3 or 4 that still do this stupid crap...
Old 06-24-2014, 10:27 AM
Greg00Coupe
Race Director

Received 1,984 Likes on 1,143 Posts

Look boys......... PUT ON YOUR BIG BOY PANTS!!!! Why do you care what anyone else buys or does? Are you that shallow or insecure that you need stroked?????

To me if GM can make another nickle and good dealers like Kerbeck can share in some of that more the better!!!!

If we all love the Corvette we need to be supportive of their efforts to make money. You know they got some big problems and need to sell as much product as they can.

People will vote on what options they want with their wallet. Just like Harley Davidson why should GM leave mod money on the table for aftermarket vendors????? The more GM can make the better we all are, its a free market.

You like the hobby want to help secure it for the future then let GM profit.

They can sell poka dot cars for all I care as long as I can get what I want.
Old 06-24-2014, 12:43 PM
Tulsaeasyrider
Pro

Received 54 Likes on 39 Posts

You beat me to it! I was in a GM meeting back in 2008 where dealers were screaming for an automatic Z06. I told them they didn't need auto Z06, they just needed a regular car with the Z06 body. The other dealers said I was crazy but GM asked me why. I told them that 75% of the people buying the Z06 were buying it for the look not the performance. If you look at the Z06 sales numbers after the Grand Sport came out you'll see I was correct.

This is the same thing. Back in November I told the factory that if they wanted to solve their Z51 constraint problem, all they had to do was make the Z51 wheel available on the non-Z51 car. The bulk of the people buying Z51 will never use it's mechanical components and are only buying it for the look.

Dave
Dave, you are correct! I ordered and bought my C7 Z51 primarily for the wheels. I would have liked to have had the base price, but really liked the look of the 5 twin-spokes over the smaller base 5 spokes. It was my 7th Corvette and I loved 'em all; just don't need to race so much anymore. The point is, your marketing instincts were right on target. Cary
Old 06-24-2014, 01:05 PM
BigJoe
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts

This elitism is stupid, but it has reared its head since different engine options were made available on the C2 (or maybe even C1 when the V8 was offered... Much better then the lowly Blue Flame!). Funny thing is 99% of the general public couldn't tell you whether a C7 is a Z51 or not, and in fact, wouldn't care if you pointed out to them. And would probably nod-off if you tried to explain why the Z51 is so much "better." Only us 1%ers (Forum members) care, and even some of us don't.
Old 06-24-2014, 05:34 PM
2CRUZIN
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by C7 4 Me

EXCELLENT POST! Who cares what other bought or are driving. My Vette is all that really matters to me.

Get notified of new replies

To Z F 1 - Funny Stuff?

Old 06-24-2014, 05:51 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

Originally Posted by Glen e
agreed...it's gotten better, but there are 3 or 4 that still do this stupid crap...
Glen,
In another year or so, we'll be rid of all of them.....maybe.
For the life of me, I don't understand why ANYONE cares what OTHER people do with THEIR money...They're called "OPTIONS". You know, in the 2 months I've had my car, not a single person has asked: "Is that a Z51?"

It's funny, when I saw this option announced, the FIRST thing that popped in my head was that there would be posts about "poseur" Z51's. So, what should we do about guys putting Z06 grills on their cars?????

Everyone here should go to the Alfa Romeo 4C forum, it is a JOYOUS place, with folks reveling in their new car and folks waiting for theirs joining them. None of this insecure, childish crap that goes on here. And NO trolls telling 4C owners how they:
1. Got ripped off
2. Should have bought a Cayman/Boxster/C7/etc

Jimmy

Last edited by jimmyb; 06-24-2014 at 06:15 PM.
Old 06-24-2014, 06:09 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

Dave
Dave, Dave, Dave.....
Don't be such a big dope. Why would anyone listen to a guy that sells HUNDREDS of Corvettes a year?????

And all flippery aside, you're spot on, as always. It will be interesting to see if GM is willing to cannibalize the C7 Z06 with a C7 GS in a few years.

Jimmy

Last edited by jimmyb; 06-24-2014 at 06:12 PM.
Old 06-24-2014, 07:12 PM
Dave@Ciocca
Platinum Supporting Dealership

Received 1,656 Likes on 393 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmyb
Dave, Dave, Dave.....
Don't be such a big dope. Why would anyone listen to a guy that sells HUNDREDS of Corvettes a year?????

And all flippery aside, you're spot on, as always. It will be interesting to see if GM is willing to cannibalize the C7 Z06 with a C7 GS in a few years.

Jimmy
You can thank the GM Bankruptcy for the Grand Sport. The C6 was never supposed to run as long as it did but the bankruptcy put development for the C7 on the back burner for a while and they needed something to spark the sales and freshen things up.

Dave

Quick Reply: Z F 1 - Funny Stuff?