Sponsored by:

Floor jack location?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2014, 11:47 PM
hankman
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Floor jack location?

Where do you put floor jack to raise car ? could not find it in the book.
Old 06-26-2014, 12:38 AM
jagamajajaran
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,512 Likes on 2,317 Posts
C7 & C8 Events Correspondent
Tech Contributor
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year (track prepared)
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C7 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
2017 C7 of Year Finalist
2015 C7 of the Year
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Originally Posted by hankman
There are two jacking points on each side of the car - behind the front wheels and forward of the rear wheels. There is a hole in each jacking point where jacking pucks can be installed. Some use a hockey puck to accomplish the same thing. The 3rd pic shows my front jacking puck.

The following users liked this post:
mechapreneur (02-07-2017)
Old 06-26-2014, 12:45 AM
hankman
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts

thank you
Old 06-26-2014, 09:37 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,608 Likes on 6,621 Posts

Page 10-4 of the Owner's Manual. You should have jack pads, need 2 if just lifting one end of the car. Below is the pic from the book. I circled the front two slots in red.

Lifting Points
Old 06-26-2014, 10:46 AM
jagamajajaran
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,512 Likes on 2,317 Posts
C7 & C8 Events Correspondent
Tech Contributor
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year (track prepared)
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C7 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
2017 C7 of Year Finalist
2015 C7 of the Year
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

thank you
Old 01-13-2017, 02:02 PM
Alaska Cool Like Ice
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cross Beam adaptor. Take a look on Ebay under smith automotive art works store.

Alaska Cool Like Ice
Old 01-13-2017, 06:17 PM
Rooster OG
Le Mans Master

Received 1,694 Likes on 1,240 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

A while back a forum member made this more detailed drawing showing the jack points and jack stand points. The jack points are the green squares on the side of the car. I can't remember if there was an update to it, because the jack stand points are a little funky. If I get any feedback here, I can add a small key to it, it's a nice drawing.

Old 01-14-2017, 10:21 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by JerryU
Page 10-4 of the Owner's Manual. You should have jack pads, need 2 if just lifting one end of the car.

Lifting Points
This picture is from the Service Manual, which I colored for clarity. Note the C7 cross members are made from hollow aluminum casting, unlike the C6. GM recommends only lifting at the ends to avoid cracking except for the rear most front member. A cross beam is needed for most center members. I use two jacks under the frame locations (yellow circle) to make room for my large jack and home made cross beam.

Top pic is a cross beam from Harbor Freight and a suggestion for a way to modify it for the closer spacing needed for a C7.

Last edited by JerryU; 01-14-2017 at 10:28 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by JerryU:
767guy (01-16-2017), justplainjim (01-15-2017)
Old 01-16-2017, 09:40 AM
Shontzy
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As someone with only one jack, How do people recommend getting the car on a jack stand? I mean if I jack the car up from a jacking pad, I cannot get a jack stand on that corner of the car. The only thing I see is to put the wheels on a block or jack the car high enough to get a stand under another corner that lifts off the ground.
Old 01-16-2017, 11:45 AM
Scoobydoobydoo
Drifting

Received 311 Likes on 246 Posts

Get yourself a set of race ramps and save the trouble
Old 01-16-2017, 12:17 PM
Squeaky Wheel
Burning Brakes

Received 385 Likes on 239 Posts

Sorry if this sounds like a dumb question, but I'm curious? If you jack up one side with a single floor jack from the front or rear jack pad, do both wheels on that side come off the ground equally? Is the body or frame that stiff?

Also, I'm a bit uncomfortable with jack stands, so for oil and filter changes, I'm considering making a pair of wooden blocks by stacking and nailing together a series of 2x12's to place under the front tires. Will lower the car back down on them while working underneath. Plan to just lift the car from the frame cross member under the engine, fashioning a 12" 2x4 with the additional lift blocks attached to each end (like JerryU shows above) to use with the floor jack .
Old 01-16-2017, 12:52 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Squeaky Wheel
Sorry if this sounds like a dumb question, but I'm curious? If you jack up one side with a single floor jack from the front or rear jack pad, do both wheels on that side come off the ground equally? Is the body or frame that stiff?

Also, I'm a bit uncomfortable with jack stands, so for oil and filter changes, I'm considering making a pair of wooden blocks by stacking and nailing together a series of 2x12's to place under the front tires. Will lower the car back down on them while working underneath. Plan to just lift the car from the frame cross member under the engine, fashioning a 12" 2x4 with the additional lift blocks attached to each end (like JerryU shows above) to use with the floor jack .
Yep the opposite end will lift but not as high due to weight balance.

Even better than stacking 2X12's, is build a box from 2X6's. The weight will be ~20% of stacked wood! Check out my PDF: http://netwelding.com/Jacking_A_C7.pdf
Shows how to make them. When someone questioned the strength, for fun made the structural calculations and defined the safety factor! Can assure you they will hold a much heavier load than the plastic stanchions sold for the purpose! In addition they are not as high so you don't need to lift the car that high. They are fine for oil changes.

I use these home made stanchions when I lift both ends.

Note Warning to Only Use Jack Stands on One End of Car at a Time! I Use Jack Stands on One End and Stanchions on the Other.

Last edited by JerryU; 01-16-2017 at 01:16 PM.
Old 02-07-2017, 12:52 PM
Corvette Forum Editor
CorvetteForum Editor

Received 145 Likes on 95 Posts
Default How-To Tuesday

Great topic for today's How-To Spotlight...
https://www.corvetteforum.com/how-to...r-vette-368184
Old 02-07-2017, 01:03 PM
Snowwolfe
Le Mans Master

Received 879 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by Shontzy
As someone with only one jack, How do people recommend getting the car on a jack stand? I mean if I jack the car up from a jacking pad, I cannot get a jack stand on that corner of the car. The only thing I see is to put the wheels on a block or jack the car high enough to get a stand under another corner that lifts off the ground.
Read post #8. Jack it up from the front or rear under the car on the side you want to insert the jack stand under.
Old 02-07-2017, 02:04 PM
PeteC7
Pro

Received 214 Likes on 157 Posts

I just realized my ramps and floor jack don't fit under my Grand Sport so I need to pick up some near gear. I like ramps for oil changes and jack/jackstands for taking wheels off, brake work, etc. If someone has a suggestion on specific products I'd appreciate it, otherwise I'll be using that handy search function at the top.
Old 02-07-2017, 02:26 PM
Snowwolfe
Le Mans Master

Received 879 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by PeteC7
I just realized my ramps and floor jack don't fit under my Grand Sport so I need to pick up some near gear. I like ramps for oil changes and jack/jackstands for taking wheels off, brake work, etc. If someone has a suggestion on specific products I'd appreciate it, otherwise I'll be using that handy search function at the top.
I used Race Ramps on my 2013 GS. Worked like a charm.
Old 02-07-2017, 03:00 PM
Hopper12
Melting Slicks

Received 2,063 Likes on 980 Posts

Originally Posted by PeteC7
I have this floor jack and really like it. Light weight and works very well. Not cheap, but you only wince once.

http://www.sears.com/schwaben-low-pr...2&blockType=G2
Old 02-07-2017, 04:33 PM
mechapreneur
Heel & Toe

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Shontzy
Look up JackPoint JackStands. I have a pair and they're solid. I'm tempted to get another pair so I can lift all four sides, but I think I'm going to spring for a Quick Jack or MaxJax instead.

Get notified of new replies

To Floor jack location?

Quick Reply: Floor jack location?