C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Am I a Corvette jerk stereotype - Flash brights to pass?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2017, 03:26 PM
Har-ray
Pro

Received 243 Likes on 141 Posts

Maybe a quick flash is less offensive than a 3 second spotlight
Old 02-05-2017, 05:00 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,958 Likes on 5,346 Posts

Flash to pass in the US is useless. Nobody knows what it means. Same goes for the turning signal trick. One of the worst roads I ride on is I81 through Virginia. The speed limit is 70 mph with a lot of trucks in the right lane. There are plenty of people who get in the passing lane and drive at 65 mph or less thus causing lines in the passing lane that are sometimes over a 1000 ft long. There are signs all along the highway to not drive continuously in the left lane but they don't pay attention to them. There are also signs all along the highway that vehicles over a certain size can't be in the left lane if their speed is less than whatever. That doesn't stop them from progressing into the mess and making it worse.

You do not want to be in a hurry when traversing that road on a summer day any day of the week.

What is needed is for states to make the blocking of traffic like that a primary offense with a huge fine so LEOs have an incentive to pull them over. Once word of huge fines and actual pulling vehicles over gets around to the people who do the traffic blocking most will pull over. Yes, I know LEOs pulling people over can induce traffic accidents when roads have heavy traffic but not doing anything also induces accidents and maybe a few gunshots.

Bill
Old 02-06-2017, 12:31 AM
witch hunt
Burning Brakes

Received 223 Likes on 205 Posts

[QUOTE=Bill Dearborn;1594029952]Flash to pass in the US is useless. Nobody knows what it means. Same goes for the turning signal trick. One of the worst roads I ride on is I81 through Virginia.

I don't mean to paint entire states, but in my experience(a lot of salesman miles and appointments around SE USA) VA and OH drivers block traffic in the fast lanes of highways as if it's their appointed task to make their lives complete.
Old 02-06-2017, 05:37 PM
rjwz28
Safety Car

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by witch hunt
No, you have(along with many others on this thread though)---the OP says he was on NJ back roads with his vert top down one night from AC toward Allentown or somewhere, passed a slow car on a 2 lane road. That driver took exception with him for apparently flashing his hi-beams at him just before passing.
Yes, everybody misunderstood it but you. Oh, wait:

Originally Posted by OP
Finally, the opening for the 2 lane highway comes up and he gets on in front of me and of course gets in the left lane and drives right next to somebody in the right lane, no way to pass.

It is a 65 zone and both drivers are doing 70, but there is clear sailing ahead if they move over.

I politely flash him the brights and he does not move over, however he does speed up to 75 or so to the next line of cars and then does not leave enough room for me to go around.
This entire thread is about flash to pass when a driver is blocking the passing lane on a multi-lane highway/freeway/expressway.
The following users liked this post:
witch hunt (02-06-2017)
Old 02-06-2017, 05:40 PM
rjwz28
Safety Car

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Flash to pass in the US is useless. Nobody knows what it means. Same goes for the turning signal trick. One of the worst roads I ride on is I81 through Virginia. The speed limit is 70 mph with a lot of trucks in the right lane. There are plenty of people who get in the passing lane and drive at 65 mph or less thus causing lines in the passing lane that are sometimes over a 1000 ft long. There are signs all along the highway to not drive continuously in the left lane but they don't pay attention to them. There are also signs all along the highway that vehicles over a certain size can't be in the left lane if their speed is less than whatever. That doesn't stop them from progressing into the mess and making it worse.

You do not want to be in a hurry when traversing that road on a summer day any day of the week.

What is needed is for states to make the blocking of traffic like that a primary offense with a huge fine so LEOs have an incentive to pull them over. Once word of huge fines and actual pulling vehicles over gets around to the people who do the traffic blocking most will pull over. Yes, I know LEOs pulling people over can induce traffic accidents when roads have heavy traffic but not doing anything also induces accidents and maybe a few gunshots.

Bill
I agree, but unfortunately, it's a difficult infraction to enforce, especially against those who pace other cars next to them.
Old 02-06-2017, 07:09 PM
witch hunt
Burning Brakes

Received 223 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by rjwz28
Yes, everybody misunderstood it but you. Oh, wait:

This entire thread is about flash to pass when a driver is blocking the passing lane on a multi-lane highway/freeway/expressway.
OK---got it, said 1 lane road right off the bat & I just lightly skimmed through the large body of work that followed(now have added multi-lane chat) thx
Old 02-06-2017, 07:13 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,923 Likes on 1,365 Posts

Flash to pass in the US is useless. Nobody knows what it means. Same goes for the turning signal trick.
I've had the left turn signal work for me (not every time but at about half the time), but I only use it in limited cases:

1) The guy in front isn't already behind someone.
2) The guy in front has space to safely move over to his right.
3) The guy in front is NOT about to overtake another car to his right.
4) I don't tailgate the guy in front of me. I am several car lengths back being polite.

Michael
Old 02-06-2017, 07:39 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,485 Likes on 1,947 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Bill
He's right about I-81. Horribly-enforced road with some of the least wary Law Enforcement except around the Virginia Tech area.
Old 02-06-2017, 07:44 PM
thrilled
Safety Car

Received 618 Likes on 455 Posts

Originally Posted by SMT1004
If somebody flashed me and I was doing the speed limit it would **** me off. I've learned to pull over take a 5 minute break and then get back on the road hoping traffic patterns would be more in my favor. Much more low risk then riding somebody or expecting them to move out of my way.
It shouldn't **** you off if your in the fast lane doing the speed limit doing the same speed as the guy beside you.Then your causing A 2 lane roadblock.That way your keeping traffic from moving.
Here's the way people should drive if there is A 2 lane road.2 lanes going the same way.
Always drive in the slow lane except when passing A car in the slow lane.
Immediately after passing go back in the slow lane.I believe the slow lane is if your going the speed limit.The fast lane is for motorist acceeding the
speed limit by 5 mph or more.If you do that there would be no reason for someone to put his. High beams on you.That way you'll never get pissed off.
Old 02-06-2017, 09:12 PM
Jeffthunbird
Melting Slicks

Received 892 Likes on 439 Posts

People definitely try to control your speed.
I was on the NYS Thruway last summer, following a left lane blocker in a PU truck doing the limit. Right lane was fairly busy so there wasn't much hope to get around. I stayed back, no flashes to him. I was dealing with it.
It was dusk and I saw a set of headlights coming up on me very fast. I thought it might be LEO so I pulled over into the right lane. Sure enough, it was a trooper. He got on the rear of this truck and flashed him. The truck didn't move. The LEO flashed two more times and no move. Then the gum ball machines came on. That truck moved over so fast he almost piled it up. I then got bye, laughing. What an ***.
Old 02-06-2017, 10:32 PM
fletcher8969
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Not a jerk

I don't think you sound like a jerk. People that don't get over when someone is behind them are either oblivious (and need a perfectly polite reminder by flashing your lights) or are jerks themselves. Anyone who would chase you to drive behind you with high beams on is an A--hole.

As for running quickly down the highway to get ahead, sound perfectly alright to me too. Don't get comments about driving too fast on public roads. As long as you're not endangering anyone then have at it. If you want to poke around why buy a Corvette?
Old 02-06-2017, 11:34 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,191 Likes on 2,681 Posts

When I learned to drive (CA, mid 1970's) I was taught to flash to signal to the car in front of you to move to the right, and that was in the test to get a license, but in many states that is illegal, now.

Laws change. Understanding by the GP changes as well.

My car is too distinctive, and my town is too small, to **** off ignorant drivers.

If I (still) owned a generic red Corvette, then I could probably flash away, and not be concerned about payback.
Old 02-07-2017, 08:27 PM
mikeCsix
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 197 Likes on 168 Posts

Bill
So true, and when we can get a driver's license out of a Cracker Jack box why would we expect any different behavior?

Check to see what it costs to get a license to drive in Germany and you'll see what I mean.

Quick Reply: Am I a Corvette jerk stereotype - Flash brights to pass?