Blown up engine 5 month old Stingray

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2014, 09:47 PM
runutzzzzz
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Snorman

I wonder if the work order states something to the effect of "customer requests car to be prepped for track event".
S.
I bet not. I bet all it will show that he brought it in for a rough idle / missing.
Old 09-14-2014, 10:09 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,291 Likes on 1,400 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by EasyElliott
Hasn't this thread gone way too far. We have had everyone's opinion and still do not know exactly what was said to,the dealer. If it was said that he was at a race track, based on the warranty, it would be void.
We still don't even know WHY GM is denying the warranty. Lots of speculation and wild-*** guessing, but the reality is the OP has not told us why it's being denied. Sure would be nice to know that.

I know, I know, facts are not welcome by many in a thread like this.
Old 09-14-2014, 10:25 PM
Stingray Al
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

Just a thought.

If your car breaks in Track Mode it won't be covered.
Track mode is only to be used on a Track. But if you were on a track it voids the warranty. So if you put it in track mode you void the warranty

I'm thinking too much. Time to go to bed
Old 09-14-2014, 10:46 PM
LT1xL82
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

OK. Over 500 posts so far. I have read most...admittedly more speed reading as time has gone bye.

So, um, what is the point of this read that it takes 500 plus posts to accomplish?

Old 09-14-2014, 11:00 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,475 Likes on 2,278 Posts

Originally Posted by EasyElliott
If it was said that he was at a race track, based on the warranty, it would be void.

Why is that?
Old 09-14-2014, 11:54 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,037 Likes on 2,908 Posts

Post #451:
Originally Posted by Snip444
GM HAS NOT INFORMED ME YET WHY THEY ARE DENYING MY CLAIM. MY ONLY CONTACT SO FAR IS A SECY IN THEIR "Complaint/ALLEGATION" DEPT. WHO INFORMED ME THEY ARE DENYING MY CLAIM B/C I was on the track racing (a bold lie) and I did not comply with some "protocol" in the owners manual (even though I had the cAr at the dealership 2 wk earlier and asked them what I needed to do). They changed the orig. oil and filter.. This was a secy type in a phone call, no formal contact or explanation from anyone of authority including the Area a Mgr Mr. Tate who refuses from day one to talk with me.

Post #505:
Originally Posted by Steve_R
We still don't even know WHY GM is denying the warranty. Lots of speculation and wild-*** guessing, but the reality is the OP has not told us why it's being denied. Sure would be nice to know that.

I know, I know, facts are not welcome by many in a thread like this.

Old 09-15-2014, 12:40 AM
CdnVetteOwner
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CaryBob
The work order from that service call will clear it right up real fast.
You can bet that GM has talked to the dealership and has a copy of that work order on their attorneys desk. And if there is no mention of changing the oil for track use or no mention of prepping the car for track use at all, that will be the basis for denial of the warranty claim.

We will probably never see the work order. But GM has seen it, and has acted accordingly.

Last edited by CdnVetteOwner; 09-15-2014 at 12:43 AM.
Old 09-15-2014, 07:00 AM
Mfserge
Safety Car

Received 37 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by LT1xL82
OK. Over 500 posts so far. I have read most...admittedly more speed reading as time has gone bye.

So, um, what is the point of this read that it takes 500 plus posts to accomplish?

The point is to allow everyone to flex their intellect.....or in this case, as is the case with most threads round here, their stupidity. Out of 26 pages there may be one page worth of value, the rest is garbage unfortunately.
Old 09-15-2014, 07:54 AM
HHughes1
Instructor

I'll add a little more first hand perspective. Snip was running in the least experienced of 4 run groups. His car was not being driven "hard" by my observation, I would comfortably say his lap times were mid thirties which is cruising at Roebling Road. He may well have been running 15W 30 and GM may void him because of it, but his motor should have been able to handle what he was doing with the factory fill. It's just the law of averages that motors will break and Snip's broke at the wrong time in the wrong place.
Old 09-15-2014, 08:06 AM
gkgeiger
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mfserge
The point is to allow everyone to flex their intellect.....or in this case, as is the case with most threads round here, their stupidity. Out of 26 pages there may be one page worth of value, the rest is garbage unfortunately.
I agree and I'm only reading posts from Snip now.
Old 09-15-2014, 09:12 AM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 742 Posts

These types of forum threads are unfortunately more for entertainment than information. As is typical one party has yet to present a complete and concise accounting of all of the relevant particulars and the other party cannot respond at all. So a trial by "internet court" is nearly as lousy as trial by ISIS or N. Korea but at least the outcome here isn't as dire.

IF the car wasn't prepped properly for the track (i.e. improper oil) AND GM still covered the failure under warranty then they have effectively turned the track prep requirements into mere recommendations creating an opening for a wide range of future problems. Would you also want to give someone a pass for running street brake fluid on the track?

In my view the GM requirements for meeting warranty coverage requirements are pretty straightforward and it is up to the owner to make sure to stay within them. There are other threads in the tech section where GM has already covered track day failures under warranty and they have done so with prior C generations so I don't see any evidence that they are clearly refusing to cover something because it happened during a non-competition track event. If you want to see some real restrictions take a look at one of the third party warranty companies restrictions. My wife bought a Nissan which comes from the dealer with some sort of bundled extended warranty and to stay within its terms you would need a personal secretary, an attorney, and a witch doctor or two. It basically isn't worth the paper it is printed on.
Old 09-15-2014, 09:25 AM
nsxpilot
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NSC5
These types of forum threads are unfortunately more for entertainment than information. As is typical one party has yet to present a complete and concise accounting of all of the relevant particulars and the other party cannot respond at all. So a trial by "internet court" is nearly as lousy as trial by ISIS or N. Korea but at least the outcome here isn't as dire.

IF the car wasn't prepped properly for the track (i.e. improper oil) AND GM still covered the failure under warranty then they have effectively turned the track prep requirements into mere recommendations creating an opening for a wide range of future problems. Would you also want to give someone a pass for running street brake fluid on the track?

In my view the GM requirements for meeting warranty coverage requirements are pretty straightforward and it is up to the owner to make sure to stay within them. There are other threads in the tech section where GM has already covered track day failures under warranty and they have done so with prior C generations so I don't see any evidence that they are clearly refusing to cover something because it happened during a non-competition track event. If you want to see some real restrictions take a look at one of the third party warranty companies restrictions. My wife bought a Nissan which comes from the dealer with some sort of bundled extended warranty and to stay within its terms you would need a personal secretary, an attorney, and a witch doctor or two. It basically isn't worth the paper it is printed on.
Old 09-15-2014, 10:11 AM
Mfserge
Safety Car

If the OP took the vehicle to his dealership and informed them that he wanted to ensure that the vehicle was ready for the track, and they failed to properly prepare the vehicle (i.e. tire pressure, fluid levels, installation of rotor cooling rings) etc., or failed to mention that these steps need to be completed prior to tracking the vehicle, then its possible that they may be held liable. I would certainly pursue that option if all else fails with getting the vehicle repaired under warranty.

Also, the language in the track preparation PDF from GM states "Participating in track events or other competitive driving without following the instructions provided MAY affect the vehicle warranty." What is the definition of MAY affect the warranty? It doesn't say that these steps are mandatory furthermore, it doesn't state that failure to follow these instructions WILL void the warranty. The owner's manual does state (on page 9-42) that misuse of the vehicle is not covered by the vehicle warranty. Was the OP misusing the vehicle or was this a mechanical failure which resulted from the customer not being properly informed on how to prepare the vehicle for track use? IMO misuse could be if a driver turned off TC, without knowing how to properly handle the vehicle, which resulted in the vehicle being damaged. Or an improper shift which resulted in damage to the transmission and/or engine.

Is it the dealership duty to explain the track preparation procedure to their customers? Giving a person an owner's manual and telling them to read it may not hold up if this was to be taken to court.

Last edited by Mfserge; 09-15-2014 at 10:22 AM.
Old 09-15-2014, 10:39 AM
DerStig
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

OP,

Unfortunately this is all your fault. It's very simple. I don't own a vette, but even after staying on these forums long enough I probably know more about this than you do which means you should have done your homework a little bit.

- Owners manual gives very VERY specific instructions on what you need to do when it comes to tracking this car. They even give you specific adjustments for wheel alignments for front and rear. You should have followed those instructions to the letter.
Old 09-15-2014, 10:51 AM
pcguy2u
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 107 Likes on 77 Posts

It's the inconsistency of the owner's manual where it applies to track use and prep. On one hand it tells you how to prep for track use and on the other hand, it implies that if you do track your car, your warranty may be void.

Looks like GM invites you to use this "sports car" on the track - can't see where this would hold up in court.

Personally, I would litigate this one.

BTW, I WAS considering a Z06, but I think I'm going to wait a couple of years - my ZR1 is looking very comfortable at this point.
Old 09-15-2014, 10:55 AM
jsdanehy
Drifting

Cruise-In V Veteran

I do agree that what we have witnessed here is the inability to read.

Many people have a bias against a large corporation. Just a fact of life.

When anyone wishes to assert a claim for anything there is usually a process for doing so.

It might not be a car warranty either.

There will always be two sides. Sometimes there is concurrence (agreement). Then again there can be disagreement.

There is a process for handling such disputes and a resolution as well.

Bystanders here have no facts, understanding of the law or what is in the Warranty. That does not stop them from believing that they do. So they opine.

The fact is that 99.99 % of all of the C7s out there are sound. Some want you to believe to the contrary. Their motives are only known to themselves.

So this is about over now.
Old 09-15-2014, 11:01 AM
Woodson
Le Mans Master

Received 1,370 Likes on 793 Posts

Originally Posted by DerStig
OP,

Unfortunately this is all your fault. It's very simple. I don't own a vette, but even after staying on these forums long enough I probably know more about this than you do which means you should have done your homework a little bit.

- Owners manual gives very VERY specific instructions on what you need to do when it comes to tracking this car. They even give you specific adjustments for wheel alignments for front and rear. You should have followed those instructions to the letter.
Starting to look that way.

Get notified of new replies

To Blown up engine 5 month old Stingray

Old 09-15-2014, 11:08 AM
Mfserge
Safety Car

On page 9-5 of the owner's manual it states "Be sure to follow all service procedures before driving the vehicle at track events or competitively." If the OP did in fact take the vehicle to his local dealer, prior to racing at a track, and asked his dealer what was necessary in order to track the vehicle, then it is reasonable to assume that the OP did in fact follow appropriate service procedures because he took it a certified GM dealership and the dealer said "Go Have Fun."

Since the OP was participating in driver education program at the track, did he sign a hold harmless agreement with the track or were there signs that the track that they are not be responsible for any damage to the vehicle in the course of operating the vehicle on their premises? Does the track have any responsibility for ensuring that the vehicle is properly prepared for the course? Name them in the suit as well....sue everyone until you get your engine replaced!
Old 09-15-2014, 11:24 AM
badwhitecorvette
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow...I've been following this thread since it started. It's making me very nervous. About placing my order for my 2015.
I sold my 2014 Torch Red to my neighbor 3 weeks ago because I wanted a 2015 Orange with the camera.
Old 09-15-2014, 11:35 AM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Since the OP was participating in driver education program at the track, did he sign a hold harmless agreement with the track or were there signs that the track that they are not be responsible for any damage to the vehicle in the course of operating the vehicle on their premises? Does the track have any responsibility for ensuring that the vehicle is properly prepared for the course? Name them in the suit as well....sue everyone until you get your engine replaced!
Ironically, your own words very aptly describe your latest post:

Quick Reply: Blown up engine 5 month old Stingray