Sponsored by:

Sharp turn noise

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 02:15 PM
newbie2vette
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Sharp turn noise

Has anyone experience anykind of noise when making a "U" turn. It sounded like the noise a friend C6 made when I was driving it. Anytime I made the sharp turn during reversing or making a "U", I heard a noise similar to what a flat sounded when you are riding on bear wheel after a flat.
The diff oil had to be change to fix that. Now I hear something similar with mine C7. Is there any service bullitine out there for the diff for the C7?
Old 10-23-2014, 02:20 PM
occar
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Here comes cold weather and the severe low speed turn understeer threads!

Yes, it's fine. It will always happen in cold weather when the tire grip is low. The front tires are sliding a little instead of rolling.
Old 10-23-2014, 02:37 PM
mpuzach
Race Director

Received 1,190 Likes on 594 Posts

Originally Posted by occar

Yes, it's fine. It will always happen in cold weather when the tire grip is low. The front tires are sliding a little instead of rolling.
Yup. It's just the front tires "scrubbing" and it's normal.
Old 10-23-2014, 02:39 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,072 Likes on 6,171 Posts

See the following threads:
Tire skipping, chatter... It is normal?
New to the Vette? NORMAL things the Vette does.....

These can both be found in the DIY, FAQ's and TIPS sticky thread. This thread and the Manuals, Reference Material, Online Order Guide, Order Tracking, etc. sticky thread are a treasure trove of useful information.
Old 10-23-2014, 02:42 PM
lottavettes
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

It's a wide tires thing. Happened on all my vettes especially at low speed.
Old 10-23-2014, 04:12 PM
newbie2vette
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by lottavettes

It's a wide tires thing. Happened on all my vettes especially at low speed.
Thank you for the prompt response, I thought I got one with problems.
Old 10-23-2014, 06:00 PM
jovette
Melting Slicks

Received 101 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by occar

Yep, I did not notice this issue on my 2000 coupe, but I did have it on my 2010 Grand Sport, and it's really noticeable with the very wide tires on my 427 convertible. Just two months ago, I was asked to drive a friends C7 Z51 convertible, because he thought there was something wrong with the front end when he experienced this issue in the motel parking lot on a cool morning in Spearfish South Dakota. I assured him it was normal with these tires.
Old 10-23-2014, 06:17 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 922 Likes on 481 Posts
Tech Contributor

Read all these:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c7-g...ette-does.html
Old 10-24-2014, 12:05 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,617 Likes on 6,624 Posts

Originally Posted by newbie2vette
Has anyone experience anykind of noise when making a "U" turn. It sounded like the noise a friend C6 made when I was driving it. Anytime I made the sharp turn during reversing or making a "U", I heard a noise similar to what a flat sounded when you are riding on bear wheel after a flat.
The diff oil had to be change to fix that. Now I hear something similar with mine C7. Is there any service bullitine out there for the diff for the C7?
As it gets colder this issue which GM calmly calls “charter” and wrights off as “it’s normal no problem,” is much worse than my Z51 C6. Early on someone said on a cold night when they pulled out of a parking slot in a mall it felt so bad his wife wanted him to not drive the car and have the dealer come tow it! He even looked under the car to see if something fell off! It is that bad when it gets below about 45F. Even felt it to some degree again this week as I backed out of the garage when it got to 55F. Some attribute it all to Ackerman steering setting. I don’t agree. From Forum posts its 1st the tires, some report it going away when they put on all-seasons. The 2nd issue is the C7 has a 2 foot shorter turing radius than the C6. The solution, when it gets cold and going slow don’t use full lock, make a K turn! I put together this PDF last winter. It has pictures from the research and observations I made: http://netwelding.com/Wheel_Chatter.pdf
For those starting to drive their C7 in cold weather for the first time it may be useful to describe Ackerman and the other causes if you have a friend in the car when it happens and they laugh about this piece of junk you bought! Perhaps if you explain it they won’t tell your friends what they observed!
Old 10-24-2014, 12:27 AM
jpshark
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's a tire thing...completely normal...no worries.

Get notified of new replies

To Sharp turn noise

Quick Reply: Sharp turn noise