Sponsored by:

Question about center console lid

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2014, 04:03 PM
Beezvette
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Question about center console lid

I seem to have two finger indentations on the top of my console lid, I suspect from my other half pushing down when she gets in or out. I can see that the lid is removable, but is the leather glued to the top? If i can get the leather off I can fix the foam below. Any suggestions?

I tried a cloth with hot water and it did not help.

Thanks!

FWIW: i removed the console, removed the top, and hit it with some heat from the iron (covered leather with a cloth) and gently rolled the area using a wallpaper roller. Worked out great, the foam bounced back mostly, and the leather looks perfect.

Last edited by Beezvette; 10-26-2014 at 05:17 PM.
Old 10-27-2014, 03:19 PM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Beezvette
I
FWIW: i removed the console, removed the top, and hit it with some heat from the iron (covered leather with a cloth) and gently rolled the area using a wallpaper roller. Worked out great, the foam bounced back mostly, and the leather looks perfect.
Old 10-27-2014, 03:45 PM
bdharris68
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My car has 11k miles on it and the center console leather is loose/ has wrinkles. Not real happy about the quality. But I'm going to just have it recovered myself in higher quality material. What is bad is my truck of 100 k miles that I'm a lot more rough on has no wear areas of the console.
Old 10-27-2014, 07:51 PM
Beezvette
Pro

Originally Posted by bdharris68
My car has 11k miles on it and the center console leather is loose/ has wrinkles. Not real happy about the quality. But I'm going to just have it recovered myself in higher quality material. What is bad is my truck of 100 k miles that I'm a lot more rough on has no wear areas of the console.
I think the foam below is very soft, and it seems to have a memory for indentations. Mine bounced back nicely. Try a little heat from the iron with a cotton cloth. No steam. I went over mine for a few minutes being sure not to get the leather too hot (lowest iron setting). Just about the time i figured it was not making a difference, i saw signs of improvement and in a few more minutes the indentations were gone. I think the roller helped out the foam also.
Old 10-27-2014, 10:13 PM
bdharris68
Instructor

I think the foam below is very soft, and it seems to have a memory for indentations. Mine bounced back nicely. Try a little heat from the iron with a cotton cloth. No steam. I went over mine for a few minutes being sure not to get the leather too hot (lowest iron setting). Just about the time i figured it was not making a difference, i saw signs of improvement and in a few more minutes the indentations were gone. I think the roller helped out the foam also.
Thanks for sharing the tip.

I don't think we should be having to fix our cars interior before the second oil change. Especially how much we spent in these cars. After I take it to be repaired I will let you know what type of foam is under the leather.
Old 10-28-2014, 08:13 PM
Beezvette
Pro

Originally Posted by bdharris68
Thanks for sharing the tip.

I don't think we should be having to fix our cars interior before the second oil change. Especially how much we spent in these cars. After I take it to be repaired I will let you know what type of foam is under the leather.
Thanks i would be very interested. Please send me a PM so I do not miss your post. I agree it should not happen.
Old 11-18-2014, 12:52 AM
bdharris68
Instructor

Thanks i would be very interested. Please send me a PM so I do not miss your post. I agree it should not happen.
Went to an Apostery shop that does custom cars about this lid. They said the glue has pulled away from the lid. They suggested to go to dealer. So I did and have a new on it way.
Old 11-18-2014, 07:15 AM
C7Joy
Race Director

Received 176 Likes on 157 Posts

Glad the heat solutions worked out for the OP. I was thinking along the lines of a hair drier but the iron indirectly applied was the key.
Old 11-18-2014, 10:43 AM
foreverfuelie
Burning Brakes

Received 192 Likes on 139 Posts

Just curious, Beezvette, 1Lt,2Lt,or 3Lt? Depends on who/what information we get, that the 1Lt & 2Lt's are not leather but a leather-like vinal. Only the 3Lt's are real leather, according to the "interior stylist" (Ron was his first name - missed the last) at the last Corvette Bash. Wondering if your problem is unique to one or the other console covering.
Old 11-18-2014, 10:55 AM
Kracka
Le Mans Master

Received 5,806 Likes on 2,954 Posts

1LT and mine is doing it too. I plan to ask the dealership to replace it under warranty. Currently at 11k miles, but started noticing it around 9k.
Old 11-18-2014, 11:22 AM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 973 Likes on 506 Posts
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by foreverfuelie
Just curious, Beezvette, 1Lt,2Lt,or 3Lt? Depends on who/what information we get, that the 1Lt & 2Lt's are not leather but a leather-like vinal. Only the 3Lt's are real leather, according to the "interior stylist" (Ron was his first name - missed the last) at the last Corvette Bash. Wondering if your problem is unique to one or the other console covering.
3lt is plasticized leather too, they are all the same on the surface that you touch,,,
Old 11-18-2014, 11:38 PM
bdharris68
Instructor

Originally Posted by foreverfuelie
Mine is 1lt but Leather or not leather the interior of any car in my option should not turn to this especially in the first year.

Get notified of new replies

To Question about center console lid

Quick Reply: Question about center console lid