Sponsored by:

Poor C6 owner breaks into piggy bank.

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2014, 01:06 PM
sam90lx
Le Mans Master

Received 172 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by bigblock427
I own a 2010 Grand Sport and a 2014 Vette. And I really like both of them.
I really like your avatar, so much I think you should post a bigger pic!
Old 11-04-2014, 02:34 PM
Corvette ED
Le Mans Master

Location: Pottsville, PA. USA Home Of America's Oldest Brewery Yuengling
Received 2,245 Likes on 1,036 Posts

I am having a problem with the 9,000 off. I don't see how a 72,500 list car has 9k in markup?
Old 11-04-2014, 02:41 PM
sam90lx
Le Mans Master

Received 172 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvette ED
I am having a problem with the 9,000 off. I don't see how a 72,500 list car has 9k in markup?
9K? Try higher.
Old 11-04-2014, 03:02 PM
Daekwan06
Safety Car

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Its the internet. Things like proof and facts are not needed to post something. Here watch this:

My friend said he just bought a 2015 C7Z06 for $19.95 from 7-11. Its not for him to drive, its for his cat to sit on.

The story above has the same amount facts as the one told by the OP.
Old 11-04-2014, 03:12 PM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by Daekwan06
Its the internet. Things like proof and facts are not needed to post something. Here watch this:

My friend said he just bought a 2015 C7Z06 for $19.95 from 7-11. Its not for him to drive, its for his cat to sit on.

The story above has the same amount facts as the one told by the OP.
Old 11-04-2014, 03:22 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,382 Likes on 1,240 Posts

Originally Posted by sam90lx
9K? Try higher.
from the cost of raw materials and labor to invoice, yes, all cars have a LOT (but that is to cover very high fixed costs associated with making and shipping and promoting cars. the markup from invoice to MSRP is less than 9%.
Old 11-04-2014, 03:36 PM
Woodson
Le Mans Master

Received 1,367 Likes on 791 Posts

Originally Posted by Zymurgy
I suspect this thread will deteriorate quickly.
Old 11-04-2014, 03:45 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,700 Likes on 1,214 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Mercury
well; you didn't address the mid-engine 4-rotor model
I didn't want to crash the whole internet, so I stopped early......

I do have some update info......for those that want to listen with a clear brain.....

My friend signed the contact yesterday but did not pay for the car at that time. The car was on the showroom floor and he didn't test drive it. The dealer removed the car from the showroom and drove it down the street to fill it with gas, so my friend could pick it up today.

My friend called the dealer this morning to see if they would hold the car until today's rain stopped and they told him there was a problem with the car. It threw a CEL and they were checking it out, but had no further info. He immediately drove to the dealer to find what was going on. The car was in the shop on a lift.

While being driven to get gas, the CEL came on, the transmission would not go into reverse and when placed in park, it was still in a forward gear. Dealer called GM and they said a new transmission will be sent and that the defective transmission be shipped back to GM. Dealer told my friend that it would be around 14 days before the car is repaired.

Of course, my friend was very upset when he called me shortly before noon. His salesman is out for a couple of days to have some wisdom teeth pulled, so my friend isn't sure what to do. I do know he isn't going to pay for the car until it is repaired and he has a chance to drive it (and also make sure no damage was done to the body/interior, etc while in the shop).

Last edited by JoesC5; 11-04-2014 at 04:13 PM.
Old 11-04-2014, 04:21 PM
lgodom
Drifting

Received 286 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5

I do have some update info......for those that want to listen with a clear brain.....

My friend signed the contact yesterday but did not pay for the car at that time. The car was on the showroom floor and he didn't test drive it. The dealer removed the car from the showroom and drove it down the street to fill it with gas, so my friend could pick it up today.

My friend called the dealer this morning to see if they would hold the car until today's rain stopped and they told him there was a problem with the car. It threw a CEL and they were checking it out, but had no further info. He immediately drove to the dealer to find what was going on. The car was in the shop on a lift.

While being driven to get gas, the CEL came on, the transmission would not go into reverse and when placed in park, it was still in a forward gear. Dealer called GM and they said a new transmission will be sent and that the defective transmission be shipped back to GM. Dealer told my friend that it would be around 14 days before the car is repaired.

Of course, my friend was very upset when he called me shortly before noon. His salesman is out for a couple of days to have some wisdom teeth pulled, so my friend isn't sure what to do. I do know he isn't going to pay for the car until it is repaired and he has a chance to drive it (and also make sure no damage was done to the body/interior, etc while in the shop).
That would probably kill the deal for me unless the dealer would order another one for the same price.
Old 11-04-2014, 04:23 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,487 Likes on 1,949 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Didn't I just read of another C7 where the trans was being replaced, too? If so, at least the engineers back in Detroit want to look these bad trans over and see what's going wrong. I know that's little comfort to your friend, but it is something to feel good about.
Old 11-04-2014, 04:35 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,700 Likes on 1,214 Posts

Originally Posted by AORoads
Didn't I just read of another C7 where the trans was being replaced, too? If so, at least the engineers back in Detroit want to look these bad trans over and see what's going wrong. I know that's little comfort to your friend, but it is something to feel good about.
If you remember back to when the C6 Z06 was released, they were popping engines and GM instructed the dealers not to touch the engines, but to remove and ship back to GM. They didn't want the dealer's techs touching the engine other than to remove it from the car.

Stands to reason that GM's engineers would want the transmission returned untouched by the dealer's tech so they can properly analyze the failure.
Old 11-04-2014, 04:45 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,136 Likes on 6,196 Posts

Unfortunate, but it may be a chance for your friend to get an extended warranty thrown in at no additional cost.
Old 11-04-2014, 06:13 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,291 Likes on 1,400 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

I finally had a few mins to try to find the thread in the C6 forum that has apparently pissed Joe off. The post saying the vast majority of C6 owners can't afford a C7 (it wasn't worded that way but Joe took exception to it) came from a C6 owner. Apparently that prompted Joe to come here to rant at C7 owners. Weird to say the least.

Why do C6 owners feel the need to post in the C7 section badmouthing the C7 and C7 owners? I just don't get that.
Old 11-04-2014, 06:26 PM
v26278
Melting Slicks

Received 147 Likes on 93 Posts

I'll guess around $13 to $14K total markup over bottom dealer cost.

Back in the 1990's I worked in the car business, I factory ordered a Corvette (not for my personal use, unfortunately) through a Chevy dealer that we owned and the markup was 19% at that time. I doubt its changed much.
Old 11-04-2014, 08:01 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,382 Likes on 1,240 Posts

Originally Posted by v26278
I'll guess around $13 to $14K total markup over bottom dealer cost.

Back in the 1990's I worked in the car business, I factory ordered a Corvette (not for my personal use, unfortunately) through a Chevy dealer that we owned and the markup was 19% at that time. I doubt its changed much.
invoice - holdback is about 11%
Old 11-04-2014, 08:06 PM
RedC7AZ
Race Director

Received 534 Likes on 334 Posts

You've added enough detail now that the story is believable, although we could have done without all the "C6 owners can afford a C7" stuff.

Anyhow, maybe the dealer already knew the car had a problem, so they tried to reel the next unsuspecting buyer in with a fantastic price ($9k off), with the hopes the discount would be high enough that the buyer would hang on the hook while they worked with GM to fix the car.

Your friend should tell the dealer he'd rather wait for the next C7 and get $9k off THAT one. Just to see what he dealer says.

Last edited by RedC7AZ; 11-04-2014 at 08:10 PM.
Old 11-04-2014, 08:10 PM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by Steve_R
I finally had a few mins to try to find the thread in the C6 forum that has apparently pissed Joe off. The post saying the vast majority of C6 owners can't afford a C7 (it wasn't worded that way but Joe took exception to it) came from a C6 owner. Apparently that prompted Joe to come here to rant at C7 owners. Weird to say the least.

Why do C6 owners feel the need to post in the C7 section badmouthing the C7 and C7 owners? I just don't get that.

Get notified of new replies

To Poor C6 owner breaks into piggy bank.

Old 11-04-2014, 08:58 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,291 Likes on 1,400 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by Snorman
Old 11-04-2014, 09:04 PM
Z06 1of38
Drifting

Received 677 Likes on 333 Posts

....and buys a C7.

Had coffee with a friend this morning and he was telling me he was thinking about getting a new C7. He didn't want to part with his 2011 GS, but his wife was wanting a new car. He hasn't warmed up to the C7's styling but his wife likes it. He has a Silverado, an Escalade and his C6 in his 3 car garage.

He called me a few minutes ago to tell me they bought a 2015 coupe this afternoon, sitting on the showroom floor that had a $72,500 MSRP, and he got $9,000 discount off the MSRP. No employee or supplier, or credit union, etc. discounts. Just a flat out discount to get him to hand over a check.

He did say it drove and rode great(base C7 A8 3LT with Z51 appearance package). But then he's an old fart like me, so comfort is the name of the game.

Since he is a poor C6 owner that can't afford a C7(as claimed by many on this forum) he is keeping his GS, so he's looking at getting a 4-post lift like mine so he can park four vehicles in his 3 car garage.

Damn, it's terrible to be a C6 owner that can't afford a C7. Oh...wait.....!!!!!!

So, he said it Drove and Rode nice but he didn't drive it?

#confused....
Old 11-04-2014, 09:16 PM
Limey25
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Being new to the Corvette family I'm a little confused by the theme of this thread.

I had assumed that buying a Vette was buying into a family and that many were multi-generational buyers who started somewhere. Certainly I am hoping to be in a financial position to 'upgrade' to a C8 in due course but wouldn't think less of C7 drivers, rather be happy for them as I know how much joy this car gives me.

The only negative reaction to the car I've experienced was from a C5 driver at a gas station. Does this mean I think all C5 drivers have a problem? Not at all. I wave at all vettes I pass and get waves back a lot of the time from all generations. The good owners far outweigh the negative ones in my limited experience so don't understand the snobbery and reverse snobbery hinted at (or in some cases explicitly stated).

Aren't we all car people at the end of the day?

Someone says something as a slight towards my car I'll put my head in the garage, look at it and smile knowing it's not a car problem, it's that person's problem, not worth worrying about.

Quick Reply: Poor C6 owner breaks into piggy bank.