cb98coupe
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by A Solid Rock
Did you get consent to record them?

Was this legal to wire tap them?

Just thinking outside the box.

Good luck in any case.
Are you an attorney ? Do you even know the law or are you just talking without thinking ?

The techs were in his car , that's right "his" car . Think about it and get back to me .....
Old 11-08-2014, 05:42 PM
C7 4 Me
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by cb98coupe
Are you an attorney ? Do you even know the law or are you just talking without thinking ?

The techs were in his car , that's right "his" car . Think about it and get back to me .....
Ownership of vehicle and right to privacy / recording laws may result in different results throughout various jurisdictions. He's questions aren't crazy.
Old 11-08-2014, 05:46 PM
thegame
Le Mans Master

Received 491 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by WesC5
I guess I should be surprised.....unfortunately, I'm not. The days where one can trust someone to do what is right---especially when no one is around---- are long gone.

It just seems many people of the past several generations have no respect for another person's property or life. Sadly, this is only the beginning of America's declin

Very true and very sad. Not to get too far off topic but what would you think is most responsible for this?? I mean I am 33 and I am just dumbfounded by most encounters with people nowadays. We had a guy come in last week at the company I work for and interview for a job. In the middle of the interview he is looking at his phone and texting. This was not an entry level job either to say the least.

Last edited by thegame; 11-08-2014 at 05:50 PM.
Old 11-08-2014, 06:01 PM
ZHU
Advanced

Originally Posted by A Solid Rock
Did you get consent to record them?

Was this legal to wire tap them?

Just thinking outside the box.

Good luck in any case.
Come on, I am in Texas, we have the right to do anything to protect our property.!!!
Old 11-08-2014, 06:04 PM
LIE2ME
Le Mans Master

Received 4,588 Likes on 1,649 Posts

Originally Posted by ZHU
Come on, I am in Texas, we have the right to do anything to protect our property.!!!
Old 11-08-2014, 06:14 PM
Mr Guns
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by thegame
Very true and very sad. Not to get too far off topic but what would you think is most responsible for this?? I mean I am 33 and I am just dumbfounded by most encounters with people nowadays. We had a guy come in last week at the company I work for and interview for a job. In the middle of the interview he is looking at his phone and texting. This was not an entry level job either to say the least.
It's not just younger people. We had a guy in his 40s interview with our department who was looking to relocate from Florida. He started conversing with another guy in our department who had moved from Florida about the real estate market. He went on to tell about his strategic foreclosure. He was under water on his house, so he bought a second home and let his primary go back to the bank. If I had done something like that, I'd be ashamed if anyone found out about it, much less brag about it. I guess he thought he was clever. Worst part of all, he was a Corvette owner.

Last edited by Mr Guns; 11-08-2014 at 06:19 PM.
Old 11-08-2014, 06:23 PM
EVL-C8
Pro

Received 263 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by cb98coupe

EXACTLY! ....... Plus this so-called "tech" should know by now how the "Valet" mode works! .... His fault for getting His dumb azz comments recorded on tape!

He deserves the repercussions from this, you nor I would want someone like this working on your car!

Old 11-08-2014, 06:26 PM
thegame
Le Mans Master

Received 491 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Guns
It's not just younger people. We had a guy in his 40s interview with our department who was looking to relocate from Florida. He started conversing with another guy in our department who had moved from Florida about the real estate market. He went on to tell about his strategic foreclosure. He was under water on his house, so he bought a second home and let his primary go back to the bank. If I had done something like that, I'd be ashamed if anyone found out about it, much less brag about it. I guess he thought he was clever. Worst part of all, he was a Corvette owner.
That's bad but like you said not surprising. I have a 3 month old now and I am going to do my BEST to make sure she does not turn out like these clueless people.
Old 11-08-2014, 06:26 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,955 Likes on 1,194 Posts

Originally Posted by Glen e
Id play that for the gen mgr and service manager...BOTH OF THEM...
THIS !!!
Old 11-08-2014, 06:36 PM
-CM-
Melting Slicks

Received 64 Likes on 35 Posts

Regardless of the outcome, I don't think I'd want to take my car back to that dealership. If the tech is disciplined, he will likely be resentful. If the tech is fired over this, the other techs will be resentful. Either way, someone may do something to the car.
Old 11-08-2014, 06:37 PM
GTFD2
Burning Brakes

Received 250 Likes on 144 Posts

I think I would have started by playing it for the tech first. Then I would have ask him who else he wanted me to play it for.
Old 11-08-2014, 06:47 PM
ZHU
Advanced

Originally Posted by -CM-
Regardless of the outcome, I don't think I'd want to take my car back to that dealership. If the tech is disciplined, he will likely be resentful. If the tech is fired over this, the other techs will be resentful. Either way, someone may do something to the car.
Unfortunately, I have to back, but from now on all appointments go thru the director, and only the shop foreman can work on my car. At least they know that I have this info and hopefully they will try to keep me happy, which I guess can turnout to be a good thing. I will let them finish the work, because they had to order a part.
The director was totally in favor of the Valet mode, and said I should always use it. This may work in my favor, but time will tell. I also made them a copy of the video for their HR and I am sure for some traing on what is no longer acceptable. As for the mechanic, if he has been a good employee, he should continue working. I think the humiliation of this getting out may hit home. I do know he will not be allowed near my car according to the director, of course if he is still there. I suggested he come to the office and watch the video with the director and myself present, to put him on the spot. This would hopefully embarrass him enough for the future and he could meet the (dhead,Fkkr, pric, etc.) face to face. They wanted HR involved.
Old 11-08-2014, 06:47 PM
Crawler
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ZHU
http://www.rcfp.org/reporters-record...te-guide/texas

In short you can record the goings on in your car; if you are present or if one present party has given consent. You can not legally record it without consent if you are not present (essentially representing a present consenting party).

That being said, I obviously wouldn't be happy and would probably move my service work elsewhere. I'm from Texas and I agree with having the right to protect your property. Unfortunately, it appears you are on the wrong side of the legal argument for recording.

This is actually the reason why 2015 Vettes have a TSB to reflash the PDR system to not record in Valet.
Old 11-08-2014, 06:57 PM
GTFD2
Burning Brakes

Received 250 Likes on 144 Posts

Is it only voice that can't be recorded or the video also?
If someone is in your car you are not video recording them, only where the car is.
Old 11-08-2014, 06:58 PM
ZHU
Advanced

Originally Posted by Crawler
http://www.rcfp.org/reporters-record...te-guide/texas

In short you can record the goings on in your car; if you are present or if one present party has given consent. You can not legally record it without consent if you are not present (essentially representing a present consenting party).

That being said, I obviously wouldn't be happy and would probably move my service work elsewhere. I'm from Texas and I agree with having the right to protect your property. Unfortunately, it appears you are on the wrong side of the legal argument for recording.

This is actually the reason why 2015 Vettes have a TSB to reflash the PDR system to not record in Valet.
So you are saying that my home security camera can't record someone on my property unless I am home and/or tell them. Then if they didn't know they were being recorded I can't use this info to protect my property. Remember the tech made mention it wouldn't be fixed right. That's almost criminal not negligence.
Old 11-08-2014, 07:03 PM
Old buckeye
Racer

Received 83 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by ZHU
I think we all feel that way but I would be very careful since you were not in the conversation being recorded.
Old 11-08-2014, 07:04 PM
ZHU
Advanced

Originally Posted by GTFD2
Is it only voice that can't be recorded or the video also?
If someone is in your car you are not video recording them, only where the car is.
It video records what's in front of car and dash info(Rpms, speed, etc.). It appears to record audio in the car. The pdr records in valet mode whenever car door is open and/or car is running/moving. This was the first time I used it. Surprise!

Get notified of new replies

To Tech unhappy about my car on Valet mode -"R" rated

Old 11-08-2014, 07:07 PM
-CM-
Melting Slicks

Received 64 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by ZHU
Unfortunately, I have to back, but from now on all appointments go thru the director, and only the shop foreman can work on my car. At least they know that I have this info and hopefully they will try to keep me happy, which I guess can turnout to be a good thing. I will let them finish the work, because they had to order a part.
The director was totally in favor of the Valet mode, and said I should always use it. This may work in my favor, but time will tell. I also made them a copy of the video for their HR and I am sure for some traing on what is no longer acceptable. As for the mechanic, if he has been a good employee, he should continue working. I think the humiliation of this getting out may hit home. I do know he will not be allowed near my car according to the director, of course if he is still there. I suggested he come to the office and watch the video with the director and myself present, to put him on the spot. This would hopefully embarrass him enough for the future and he could meet the (dhead,Fkkr, pric, etc.) face to face. They wanted HR involved.

It sounds like it's being handled very well, so my concerns are probably invalid.
Old 11-08-2014, 07:09 PM
NoOne
Team Owner

Received 503 Likes on 247 Posts

I am not a lawyer.

But I am someone with common sense and mild paranoia

I would not give them a copy. Right now its your word it happened, you have a copy you showed them, and in court you own the evidence.

If you did do something even mildly illegal why give them a copy to prove your guilt?

That's my 2 cents.
Old 11-08-2014, 07:12 PM
Crawler
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your residence is different.

As far as video vs audio, I'm not positive where the line is drawn.

Quick Reply: Tech unhappy about my car on Valet mode -"R" rated