Sponsored by:

Automatic Dimming Mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2014, 10:32 AM
RickBarrett
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Automatic Dimming Mirrors

How do you turn off the automatic dimming mirror feature on a 2014 C7? When I drive at night on a highway all that I see is a black screen and headlights. This makes a lane change difficult.
Old 11-11-2014, 10:46 AM
volvos80
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

The mirror glass can be removed from the painted cover - just take your fingers behind the glass and pull it lose. It is held with 4 snap-on plastic claws. Once removed, disconnect the 2 wire connector behind the glass (not the two slip-on connectors for the heated mirror) and your dimming function is disconnected. I did that myself as I did not like it either.
Good luck - no failure codes or issues disconnecting the connector behind the mirror
Old 11-11-2014, 03:56 PM
RickBarrett
Cruising

Can you also disable the dimming function in the interior mirror on the windshield?
Old 11-12-2014, 08:31 AM
volvos80
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

That I have not done!
Old 11-12-2014, 10:53 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Don't know. On some cars there is a button on the interior (rearview) mirror that turns auto dim on and off, but only for that mirror. I don't even recall it in the C6. See what the PDF for the owner's manual says, or someone on here might know.
Old 11-12-2014, 10:55 AM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 933 Likes on 488 Posts
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by volvos80
That I have not done!
great info, thanks for adding true content here....
Old 11-12-2014, 11:54 AM
gregb1812
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rick,

Could you please let me know how it goes. Bit nervous about tugging on the glass, be great if you could take a picture once the glass is removed from the cover so we can see what we are working with.

Thanks!
Old 11-12-2014, 12:39 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

There is no button to turn off this feature, but there is a sensor in the rearview mirror that controls both rearview and DS mirror.

Rather than pull it apart and disable it "permanently", I put a black dot made from a label that I Sharpied black. I used a hole punch to make a small circle. The third picture shows the location of the sensor covered with the black dot.

This took 5 minutes, and the beauty is that if some idiot is riding your tail blasting you with his brights, you still have the option of a dimming mirror by just pulling the dot off.
Attached Images    
Old 11-12-2014, 12:42 PM
gregb1812
Instructor

Originally Posted by owc6
There is no button to turn off this feature, but there is a sensor in the rearview mirror that controls both rearview and DS mirror.

Rather than pull it apart and disable it "permanently", I put a black dot made from a label that I Sharpied black. I used a hole punch to make a small circle. The third picture shows the location of the sensor covered with the black dot.

This took 5 minutes, and the beauty is that if some idiot is riding your tail blasting you with his brights, you still have the option of a dimming mirror by just pulling the dot off.

Not the rear-view mirror - talking about taking apart the side mirrors and disconnecting the wires...
The following users liked this post:
C751ZF1 (07-04-2016)
Old 11-12-2014, 12:51 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Originally Posted by gregb1812
Not the rear-view mirror - talking about taking apart the side mirrors and disconnecting the wires...
So you are looking to retain the dimming of the rearview but disable that in only the side view? If so, then my solution won't work for that, because it disables both.

Good luck, I hope it's doable simply and safely.
Old 11-12-2014, 12:59 PM
gregb1812
Instructor

So you are looking to retain the dimming of the rearview but disable that in only the side view? If so, then my solution won't work for that, because it disables both.

Good luck, I hope it's doable simply and safely.
Sorry, I should have read your post more carefully in that placing a dot over the sensor on the RV mirror will also disable the dimming on the side mirror.

Perfect, thanks!
Old 11-12-2014, 03:58 PM
Wildmanht
Melting Slicks

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by AORoads
Don't know. On some cars there is a button on the interior (rearview) mirror that turns auto dim on and off, but only for that mirror. I don't even recall it in the C6. See what the PDF for the owner's manual says, or someone on here might know.
C6 does have the feature to turn it off. You have to hold one of the buttons on the rearview mirror. To bad the C7 doesn't have it.
Old 11-12-2014, 06:59 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Thanks, Bill. I'll have to go try it sometime soon.
Old 11-13-2014, 01:09 PM
Cratchet
Pro

Received 89 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Wildmanht
C6 does have the feature to turn it off. You have to hold one of the buttons on the rearview mirror. To bad the C7 doesn't have it.
So you cannot turn off "auto-dimming" in the C7?
I wonder why they didn't leave it as an option like the C6.

I wish the button on my C6 would only turn them "ON". It defaults to "ON" upon start up. I'm always turning it off before I take off.

I only use it on occasion on a road-trip or if I'm getting blinded from behind.

Last edited by Cratchet; 11-13-2014 at 01:10 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-13-2014, 02:08 PM
RickBarrett
Cruising

Lisa,

Great solution. I was able to find the sensor by angling a flash light on the mirror in my garage. Do you know what the sensor is registering? Is it headlights behind the car?
Old 11-13-2014, 02:34 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Originally Posted by RickBarrett
Lisa,

Great solution. I was able to find the sensor by angling a flash light on the mirror in my garage. Do you know what the sensor is registering? Is it headlights behind the car?
Ive never notice it auto-dim unless it was dark enough outside for the headlights to be on. My guess is that the light sensor that controls the headlights auto function tells the car that it is dark, and general light hitting the sensor from the rear triggers the dimming. The combo of those two things (?) I've never tried shining a bright light directly into the sensor during the day to see if it will dim, so I can't say for a fact that the car needs to think it is dark outside.

My pics are when the car was in a dark garage with the garage door open on a sunny day, so it will dim even with out headlights (in the rear) being a factor.
Old 02-06-2015, 01:27 PM
SevenTurns
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16

Great Tip !! Thanks for posting,
Jim
Old 02-07-2015, 03:36 PM
QRF-AZ
Cruising

Default Dimming mirror with top off

The issue I found yesterday with the AutoDim was when I took off the the top for a nice early morning drive. The early morning twilight, with the sun rising behind you and it is still dark enough that the headlights are on, the mirror turned black. The same issue happens in the evening and this becomes not just an annoyance, but a danger. I suppose some one will now say "put the top back on". I guess I will have to discuss the issue with GM but I doubt anything will come of it. I wonder if the convertibles have the same problem?

Get notified of new replies

To Automatic Dimming Mirrors

Quick Reply: Automatic Dimming Mirrors