C7 Bra options

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2014, 06:55 PM
Rave
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 72 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SG_Ret
Instances like this and the one you describe are a crap shoot whether you take damage or not, bra or not.
Thankfully instances like this don't happen too often, but unfortunately occasionally they do. If you drive it'll happen sooner or later. A fact of driving I guess. I've had rocks bounce off my windshield numerous times over the years causing chips and cracks. That's an insurance situation and not much I can do about it. But if a decent sized rock takes aim at my front bumper I believe a vinyl bra does provide the best protection. I have a vinyl bra on my Jeep GC and it has protected the front bumper very well. I plan on ordering one soon for my C7. Having the XPEL under the vinyl might help add some protection too.
Old 12-09-2014, 06:58 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 1,023 Likes on 528 Posts
Tech Contributor

On more time...you may have your "serious doubts", but many of us REALLY KNOW by doing thousands of miles......the novistretch protects very well, I had a vinyl and sold it...
Old 12-09-2014, 08:00 PM
Rave
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Glen e
On more time...you may have your "serious doubts", but many of us REALLY KNOW by doing thousands of miles......the novistretch protects very well, I had a vinyl and sold it...
Your opinion is certainly appreciated Glenn, but if you don't mind I'd like to make up my own mind on which product works best for me.
Old 12-09-2014, 08:06 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 1,023 Likes on 528 Posts
Tech Contributor

No "opinion" ...its fact from me, jag,steven bell, michael henry and then you.....without any real experience with the product.. But have at it if you want. My only point is "not being strong enuf" is a false premise.

Last edited by Glen e; 12-09-2014 at 08:17 PM.
Old 12-09-2014, 09:04 PM
Rave
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by bearphoto
I have several of the speed lingerie bras and they are top notch. With that comes top notch prices and I have not had any damage while using them. One of the bras was for my 2004 Lemans Blue Z06. Along with the matching mirror covers that bra and covers was around $650.

The other bra was a custom designed bra for my 2009 Z06 GT1 which was a very limited factory made car but the standard bras covered up some of the front design so they made me a customized bra for the car. $750 and that did not include any mirror covers.

So, they are the best and the highest price.

My C7 in Limerock green I also picked up the Novistretch mask like you have. I have not installed it yet but wanted something easy to install that would also protect the radiator from bugs and road junk. And it won't take up a bunch of room either. Do not run a mask unless you are on a road trip as they will gather up sand and dust in a few locations where it could scratch up the paint.
Bearphoto - Did your speed lingerie bra have mesh sewn in to cover the radiator opening? From the most recent photo's it looks like it might but it's tough to tell for sure. The NoviStretch was very easy to install. I plan to use mine occasionally but mainly as a bug catcher, and for short trips.
Old 12-09-2014, 09:47 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,403 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

While you're worrying about the nose of the car, your mirrors, and especially rockers/quarter panels are gonna get beat to Hell........
Old 12-10-2014, 09:25 AM
Texas_Venom
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by John Micheal Henry
bearphoto, The Novistretch works very well. It installs easy, removes easy, and it cleans fast and easy. Like Glen e says, I use it on road trips and remove and clean it when I get to my destination.
I guess I understand using this product so that you can remove it and have a bug free front end. But for rock chip protection its blatantly obvious its lacking. Look at the corners of the bumper which aren't covered. The lights, hood, leading edge of the fenders... all of those areas will get rock chips. Not to mention the most damaged areas on the C7s are the rocker panels and lower doors (area which angles down) because the front tires throw rocks right down the side of the car. So I guess what I ma getting at is why protect a small area of the car from damage and not the rest of it?
Old 12-10-2014, 11:07 AM
bearphoto
Safety Car

Received 302 Likes on 200 Posts
SoCal Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '12

SpeedLingerie has always color matched the bras to your cars paint so that is not new. However, they do not protect the radiator opening like a novastretch will do unless they are changing them for the c7 which I doubt. I figure I can buy at least 4 novistretch bras for the cost of 1 speedlingerie bra. They don't quite look as nice as they only come in black but I only use them when on a road trip at least once a year!

$129 or $600.
Old 12-10-2014, 06:25 PM
Rave
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by KenHorse
While you're worrying about the nose of the car, your mirrors, and especially rockers/quarter panels are gonna get beat to Hell........
My entire C7 has had the XPEL Ultimate treatment. Hopefully that helps protect other areas. What I'm aiming to do now is just add a bit more nose protection with vinyl, in the event of a larger stone.
Old 12-10-2014, 09:05 PM
c6rod
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 20 Posts

Default 3M clear bra

Originally Posted by Jus Cruisin
Is 3M clear film not in favor anymore?
Had the 3M bra on my C5 and C6. Put 77000 on the C5 and 52000 on the C6 with perfect protection despite numerous cross country trips.
Put the new XPEL on my C7 and within 10000 got two gashes in the XPEL that looked as bad as if the actual paint had been chipped. Have a cousin who had the same thing happed to his XPEL on his new F12 Ferrari within the first 1000 miles.
Yes the XPEL protected the paint, thus no warrantee replacement, but I cannot live with the gash. I will be replacing the XPEL with the older, less popular, 3M. Yes the XPEL has less texture (orange peel look) than the 3M but the paint on the car already has texture so the 3M with not detract from the overall appearance.
I cannot afford the replace the XPEL, at $600, every time a small rock puts a gash in it.
Old 12-10-2014, 09:20 PM
ckwhite
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

OK OK OK..Sorry.....

Old 08-21-2015, 08:21 PM
DwizC7
Heel & Toe

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm currently confused about what type of front end long-trip protection to buy for the 2015 Stingray. However, when I picked up the sweet thing, I also bought the GM vinyl bra from the parts department. Fast forward a few months to my first real road trip. Got out the bra to install. Went on tightly, until the last steps where you're supposed to insert several tabs between the body work and the headlights. Due to the tight tolerances there, this could only be done with a hammer. Had a hell of a time returning it, since, technically, it wasn't defective only poorly designed. The parts manager and a salesman couldn't install it either. He said I couldn't return it because I no longer had the correct box! Finally, with more and more people staring at this beautiful shark gray sculpture, cooler heads prevailed, and the parts manager folded. Good ending for me, but caveat emptor on this product. What to try now? Bugs wash off easily, but I hate those damn rock chips.
Old 08-21-2015, 08:49 PM
runner61627
Burning Brakes

Received 379 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by MSG C5
For the amount of money to purchase a high end Speed Lingerie bra, you can get close to a quality clear bra or Xpel installed. Then add the Novi-Stretch bra for road trips simply to keep the bugs and road grime off.
Exactly what I am doing!
Old 08-21-2015, 09:23 PM
Rave
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

I picked up a used Novistretch bra (I mean mask). I plan to cut a section out of it and have it professionally sewn into the radiator opening on a Speed Lingerie bra. This should give me the best of both worlds; real world highway rock protection, and radiator protection too.

Quick Reply: C7 Bra options