C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No more hopping,sliding,rubbing,grinding when I turn my wheels and tires on my Z51 C7

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2014, 07:14 AM
gwalsh88
Burning Brakes

Received 809 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by jimman
Had 12 punctures in 196,000 miles with my 07 Z06, no way will i be laying on my back in CA triffic with hopes of fixing. My good friend had the 03 Z06 that came without runfalts called me from some small town in AZ saying I can stick the tire repair kit where the sun don't shine. Right front went down and by the time he got off the road the side walls where shredded. Two day wait for tire to be flown in and two days out of his vacation.
I had 7 for 162,000 in my C6. One time the puncture happened on a Sunday at 4:00 AM on a trip from Florida to New Hampshire. I ended up driving 300 miles on my completely flat tire all the way to new Hampshire with no damage at all to the rim.

I am all for a tire alternative but they need to be run flats.
Old 12-29-2014, 07:58 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,957 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by hawkgfr
I'm not so sure we can say that without empirical evidence. The sidewall design of the "normal" tire could offset the traction advantage we think we get with the summer run flat tire and the super hard sidewall design that comes with the extended mobility tires.

The perfect example is the tire scrubbing...It is slipping and making all that racket due to lack of grip...In fact on my car now in winter its sounds embarrassingly terrible backing out on concrete when its 40 degrees and not a peep at 60 degrees with the z51 tires...

I don't think any extended mobility tire gives the same grip as a regular tire all other things being equal...(but I like the safety net they provide against flats in the wilderness..)
But it IS called a "Max performance summer tire," per TireRack. And they further explain in the writeup on the stock Z51 tires: "However, like all summer tires, they are not intended to be driven in near-freezing temperatures, through snow or on ice."

Just seems to me that tire noise and 40 degrees is closer to "near-freezing" and 60 degrees and no tire noise is closer to "summer."
Old 12-29-2014, 12:22 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,747 Likes on 6,713 Posts

The perfect example is the tire scrubbing...It is slipping and making all that racket due to lack of grip...In fact on my car now in winter its sounds embarrassingly terrible backing out on concrete when its 40 degrees and not a peep at 60 degrees with the z51 tires...
It's not that the high performance OEM tires don't have grip that causes “chatter!” It's that they don't squirm like an all-season tire on slow speed, very sharp turns when they are cold, see pic. They have a very low slip angle for performance so when you turn the car turns etc etc.
There is a simple solution to not being “embarrassed” just use ½ turn less on the steering wheel when the the tires are cold and making a slow, sharp turn! Make a “K” turn!

OEM Tires Have Low Slip Angle, All-Seasons Are Higher

Last edited by JerryU; 12-29-2014 at 12:25 PM.
Old 12-29-2014, 12:40 PM
hawkgfr
Race Director

Received 1,246 Likes on 853 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryU
It's not that the high performance OEM tires don't have grip that causes “chatter!” It's that they don't squirm like an all-season tire on slow speed, very sharp turns when they are cold, see pic. They have a very low slip angle for performance so when you turn the car turns etc etc.
There is a simple solution to not being “embarrassed” just use ½ turn less on the steering wheel when the the tires are cold and making a slow, sharp turn! Make a “K” turn!

OEM Tires Have Low Slip Angle, All-Seasons Are Higher

Tomato Tomato...
Old 12-29-2014, 06:46 PM
Jay_Davis
Drifting

Received 90 Likes on 73 Posts

Tomato Tomato...
I assumed you would ignore facts. Its messes up your points too much. Some people are so predictable.
Old 12-29-2014, 08:13 PM
T newt
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Temp

What temp. Will o.e.m. Tires perform as designed
Originally Posted by JerryU
There is a reason going to all-season or winter tires “will cure the chatter issue” but you are also giving up performance! The reason the all-season tires don’t chatter is because their slip angle is higher, unlike the more race oriented OEM tires, especially on the Z51. With all-season tires, the construction is more like a conventional tire and when you turn the wheel the tire surface and tread area squirms before the car turns, preventing “chatter.” When cold, the inside OEM tire (especially the Z51) in a slow speed, very sharp turn, slides rather than "squirms" causing “chatter.” The Ackerman angles have not changed but you don’t need "as much Ackerman” when the tires surface twists in a sharp slow speed turn. However the tire surface twisting or squirming is also occurring when you make a sharp turn at speed. The turn-in reaction is slowed. The high performance OEM tires turns rather than squirms!
Not faulting the decision to use all-season or winter tires when it’s cold, they may be needed to handle the weather depending on the climate. However, depending on what the Vette was purchased to do, performance is not all it can be. There are different reasons for buying a Vette, but the Z51 particularly was designed for max performance and the tires are a part of that design. For what it’s worth.

OEM Tires, Especially on the Z51, Have Low Slip Angle for Optimum Performance
Old 12-29-2014, 08:30 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,957 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by T newt
If you look at TireRack (or my post above), I'd say your tires will perform, as designed, in the Summer. I would guess that leaves the definition of "summer" in a bit of a limbo---what temperature are you in now?
Old 12-29-2014, 09:06 PM
hawkgfr
Race Director

Originally Posted by Jay_Davis
I ***umed you would ignore facts. Its messes up your points too much. Some people are so predictable.
U know the saying....
Old 12-29-2014, 09:08 PM
hawkgfr
Race Director

I've seen my tire temps say "normal"on the dic in 35 degree weather after 20 miles or so on them...
Old 12-29-2014, 10:11 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,747 Likes on 6,713 Posts

Not sure of the exact temperature but even on a 45 degree day I find after about 5 miles they are fine. No doubt not as good as on a warm day but I find stopping is excellent, for example. It was quoted that when tracking, the Z51 tires only take one lap to reach maximum traction. I don't track the car but I assume that is with very aggressive driving.
I recall buying Continental high performance tires for my ’93 40 Anniversary Vette and about 2 miles from work there was a unusual hairpin turn after a long straight in a very rural area with only farm fields. If I took that turn aggressively, which I did often in the early morning, when I parked the tires were still sticky and hot! They didn’t last long, they were too much fun!

Last edited by JerryU; 12-30-2014 at 09:19 PM.
Old 12-30-2014, 07:51 AM
4GS7
Melting Slicks

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

I can't see neutering the handling and braking benefits of the Z51 package by reducing traction.
Old 01-02-2015, 10:24 PM
RandyC7
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a C7 with the Z51 package in a convertible. I love the car, but I live in NJ and the summer tires, while great in the summer, are awful when its cold.

Today I swapped out the tires for a full set of Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 and the ride is terrific - no more hopping and feeling every road imperfection. These tires are great and the ride is now much quieter and smoother. The tires after installation (including load balancing) are not cheap, but if you own a nice new Vette, its well worth it.

I have also bought a small 12 volt compressor as these are not run flat tires. Also, I was advised not to use any tire sealant as it can ruin the tire pressure sensor.

Last edited by RandyC7; 01-02-2015 at 10:33 PM.

Quick Reply: No more hopping,sliding,rubbing,grinding when I turn my wheels and tires on my Z51 C7