Sponsored by:

Mulan vs Napa Leather

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2015, 11:28 PM
BIC
Pro

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Mulan vs Napa Leather

It is easy to find info on the web about Napa leather (3LT) but nothing about Mulan leather (1LT, 2LT). I've seen the question asked on this forum several times, but not recently and never clearly answered. On previous threads, there has been speculation about Mulan, i.e., it may be bonded, etc., but nothing definitive. So, what is Mulan leather?

On digital page 9 of the 2015 brochure, it says the 3LT seats have "Grade A Napa leather...." On digital page 27, it says it has "Napa leather seat inserts." What are seat inserts? Is it just the center perforated part or the whole seat surface including the side & thigh bolsters?
The following users liked this post:
Ukemeister (08-03-2023)
Old 01-06-2015, 11:48 PM
AmmoVet
Melting Slicks

Received 348 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by BIC
It is easy to find info on the web about Napa leather (3LT) but nothing about Mulan leather (1LT, 2LT). I've seen the question asked on this forum several times, but not recently and never clearly answered. On previous threads, there has been speculation about Mulan, i.e., it may be bonded, etc., but nothing definitive. So, what is Mulan leather?

On digital page 9 of the 2015 brochure, it says the 3LT seats have "Grade A Napa leather...." On digital page 27, it says it has "Napa leather seat inserts." What are seat inserts? Is it just the center perforated part or the whole seat surface including the side & thigh bolsters?
It is a good question and I tried to get an answer to it myself in the past. My current understanding is that the Nappa leather is on the inserts and on the dash, still not sure of the sides of seats, etc.
Old 01-07-2015, 12:39 AM
nmvettec7
Safety Car

Received 850 Likes on 493 Posts

It's like the old Chysler commerical for "Corinthian" leather. Mulan is Corinthian type leather.

Actually I do believe the Mulan leather is what is called semi-aniline leather.

Eagle Ottawa is located in Wisconsin and is the largest seller of premium leather products to the automotive industry.

Check them out.....

http://www.eagleottawa.com/

Last edited by nmvettec7; 01-07-2015 at 12:47 AM.
Old 01-07-2015, 02:07 AM
Mdm23
Drifting

Received 75 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by BIC

I always see 3LT seating called nappa leather seating surfaces. I'm pretty sure only the perforated portions are different. And that's only the GT seat. I don't think comp seats can be had in nappa leather at all. All the more reason that 3LT cost makes no sense to me at all.
Old 01-07-2015, 06:45 AM
grandpawmoses
Race Director

Received 95 Likes on 41 Posts

When I was shopping BMW's, their base leather was called "Dakota" leather. Their higher grade leather was "Napa" (several thousand dollars extra). There was quite a difference in feel between the two. Their highest grade of leather was "Merino" & was only offered on 6 & 7 series models.

Last edited by grandpawmoses; 01-07-2015 at 08:58 AM. Reason: added info
Old 01-07-2015, 08:22 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

I thought I saw way back when the C7 was first introduced that "mulan" might actually be/is similar to what is known as bonded leather. Don't hold me to that because it/I could be wrong. But bonded leather is barely leather at all if you look up the definition. And the mulan leather does look like real leather.
Omaralfa (11-07-2021)
Old 01-07-2015, 08:32 AM
SRQStingray
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 122 Posts

Mulan leather is the equivalent of SPAM. They grind up leather scraps and reform it into "leather". It is a bonded leather. Bonded leather is made by shredding leather scraps and leather fiber, then mixing it with bonding materials. The mixture is next extruded onto a fiber cloth, or paper backing, and the surface is usually embossed with a leather-like texture or grain. Color and patterning, if any, are a surface treatment that does not penetrate like a dyeing process would. The natural leather fiber content of bonded leather varies. The manufacturing process is somewhat similar to the production of paper. (from Wiki)

Last edited by SRQStingray; 01-07-2015 at 08:35 AM.
Old 01-07-2015, 09:21 AM
Keith N
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I really like Spam, so I went with the 2LT. So, is the Napa leather only on the seating areas or throughout the dash/doors/seats?
Old 01-07-2015, 10:05 AM
BIC
Pro

Originally Posted by Keith N
I really like Spam, so I went with the 2LT. So, is the Napa leather only on the seating areas or throughout the dash/doors/seats?
The brochure, while not clear on whether the whole seat surface, or just the inserts are Napa, makes no claim that the dash/doors/console are Napa. My guess is the whole seat surface is Napa, but that's all.

I looked at a black 2LT next to a black 3LT in the showroom. Going back & forth, I couldn't tell the difference in either how the seat surfaces looked or felt. The salesman said you can feel the difference after sitting in them for hours. Sounds like a dubious claim, but I don't know.

When you break out the other items included with the 3LT over the 2LT, you are paying about $3000 for the Napa leather on the seats and adding (Mulan?) leather to the dashboard, console & doors instead of the 2LT's Naugahyde or similar material.

Last edited by BIC; 01-07-2015 at 10:28 AM.
Rob531 (03-27-2019)
Old 01-07-2015, 10:16 AM
dpb
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Also Curious!!!!

Would like a definitive answer myself!!

dpb
Old 01-07-2015, 10:27 AM
SRQStingray
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 122 Posts

I have a 2014 Corvette brochure I got when I bought my car. In the back of the brochure, under Corvette Stingray 3LT, it lists, Napa leather inserts. That implies that the rest of the leather is bonded.
Old 01-07-2015, 10:39 AM
BIC
Pro

Originally Posted by SRQStingray
I have a 2014 Corvette brochure I got when I bought my car. In the back of the brochure, under Corvette Stingray 3LT, it lists, Napa leather inserts. That implies that the rest of the leather is bonded.
I agree with that interpretation but earlier in the brochure, it implies the whole seat surface is Napa. If it is just the insert and you substitute the microfiber insert, does that mean there's no Napa in the 3LT at all?
Old 01-07-2015, 11:35 AM
silversmoke1957
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BIC

Upon close inspection of my 3LT interior, it appears to me that all leather surfaces are covered with the same grade leather. At least, the surfaces look the same upon close examination, with each surface having the same soft feel, smooth surface, and color.

The question of what is "Mulan" and what is "Nappa" leather has plagued this forum for quite some time. I don't know if will ever be fully resolved without input from the GM interior designers who seem to have remained intentionally vague.

I do notice that Cadillac advertises their Nappa leather as semi-aniline which sheds some light on the matter as semi-aniline is a standard leather industry term. Furthermore, some research indicates that the term "Nappa" or "Napa" leather has been used since the late 1800's to denote a leather with a smooth, soft feel.

"Mulan" leather however seems to be a marketing term coined to conceal the exact nature of the material. My inspection of 2LT interiors shows the Mulan material to be stiffer than the Nappa and having a heavier embossed texture. Is it indistinguishable from Nappa? No, it is clearly different both in appearance and feel.

Is Nappa worth the price increase over Mulan? This is a question that is endlessly debatable which is the reason the topic arises so frequently in the forum. It is guaranteed to keep the forum hit level high. Each person who entertains buying a Corvette has their own personal value system which applied to the question at hand will yield the proper answer for that specific individual. Don't expect this forum to meaningfully answer the question for you.
The following 2 users liked this post by silversmoke1957:
GRKLGHTNG (07-19-2019), mwh81 (12-10-2020)
Old 01-07-2015, 12:04 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by BIC
I agree with that interpretation but earlier in the brochure, it implies the whole seat surface is Napa. If it is just the insert and you substitute the microfiber insert, does that mean there's no Napa in the 3LT at all?
It could be that if you substitute the "microfiber insert" in a 3LT, the only thing left that's leather or has leather on it is the steering wheel! And the "bonded leather" Mulan.....

Of course, "microfiber" is the former "ultrasuede" now also called "alcantara" in some places and we do know that ultrasuede was never "suede" as in skin from a cow. So, it's microfiber is not leather, either.
Old 01-07-2015, 12:26 PM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

I have been told from a reliable source that only the seating portion is leather. This applies to mulan and nappa. The seating portion is the center piece that your butt touches. The side bolsters and other areas is mulan. It is also worth noting that all mulan and nappa leather is coated. It is a waste of money to think you can condition your seats because the chemical never gets past the coating. Prove this yourself by droping some water droplets on your seats. The water will bead and still be there the next day.
Old 01-07-2015, 04:42 PM
BigJoe
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts

I have a 3LT Kalahari and I can for sure say that the dash and doors are different looking than any of the 2LTs I've seen. Much smoother leather surface, almost no texture as opposed to the heavy texture on the 2LTs. Seats have the same lack of texture so either they went out of their way to match the look on all surfaces or it is the same "Nappa" leather throughout.
Old 01-07-2015, 04:44 PM
CETA 256
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 80 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by BigJoe
I have a 3LT Kalahari and I can for sure say that the dash and doors are different looking than any of the 2LTs I've seen. Much smoother leather surface, almost no texture as opposed to the heavy texture on the 2LTs. Seats have the same lack of texture so either they went out of their way to match the look on all surfaces or it is the same "Nappa" leather throughout.

Get notified of new replies

To Mulan vs Napa Leather

Old 01-07-2015, 07:59 PM
rlhtroy@aol.com
Intermediate

Received 24 Likes on 7 Posts

Hey Guys, when I took delivery of my 2015 Corvette at the museum I specifically ask my guide on the plant tour if their was a difference between the leather of the LT2 option and the LT3 option. His answer was ... NO. I had chosen the LT2 on advice of my salesman. It made me feel better. I hope his response was accurate.
Old 01-07-2015, 09:07 PM
mksz51
Safety Car

Received 156 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by rlhtroy@aol.com
Hey Guys, when I took delivery of my 2015 Corvette at the museum I specifically ask my guide on the plant tour if their was a difference between the leather of the LT2 option and the LT3 option. His answer was ... NO. I had chosen the LT2 on advice of my salesman. It made me feel better. I hope his response was accurate.
My guide on the factory tour in September 2014 knew some stuff but was absolutely spewing BS much of the time. Fact.
Old 01-07-2015, 09:11 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,402 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

Mulan:

Napa:

Quick Reply: Mulan vs Napa Leather