Sponsored by:

Mulan vs Napa Leather

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2015, 01:53 PM
grandpawmoses
Race Director

Received 95 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by RedC7AZ
It is totally subjective. To some not much difference between the 2 leathers. Others feel different. I'd pay $1500 more for Napa but not $3000.
The $3000 also includes the navigation & 9 extra months of XM radio & more.
Old 01-08-2015, 02:02 PM
BIC
Pro

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

It is totally subjective. To some not much difference between the 2 leathers. Others feel different. I'd pay $1500 more for Napa but not $3000.
Originally Posted by grandpawmoses
Incorrect. The 2015 3LT is $5290 more than the 2LT. if you set aside the other extras, the leather part adds about $3000.
Old 01-08-2015, 03:37 PM
grandpawmoses
Race Director

Originally Posted by BIC
Incorrect. The 2015 3LT is $5290 more than the 2LT. if you set aside the other extras, the leather part adds about $3000.
Technically you would be correct but I had allowed for the $1800 PDR and the $1800 navigation that's standard in the 3LT. That only leaves $1700 for NAPA leather and other interior trim.
Old 01-08-2015, 03:42 PM
Keith N
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Technically you would be correct but I had allowed for the $1800 PDR and the $1800 navigation that's standard in the 3LT. That only leaves $1700 for NAPA leather and other interior trim.
The navi/PDR is one price at $1795 not separate for each. So, $3000+
Old 01-08-2015, 04:05 PM
grandpawmoses
Race Director

You guys are correct. The "build and price" let me pick both $1795 items but in the final tally it only added it one time.
Old 01-08-2015, 05:44 PM
Supermassive
Melting Slicks

Received 796 Likes on 307 Posts

3LT is worth the $3k, why buy a car like this if you're gonna skimp out on the best parts. The interior in 3LT just feels more...complete I guess, I mean visually they look similar but the tactile feel of everything in the cabin is richer with 3LT. The nav and PDR are questionable depending on what you want, but I cant wait until spring to take a road trip to Sedona and use the PDR to catch the scenery while driving some fun roads.

I guess that if you just want a car that looks like a Corvette and has the LT1 and you dont care about anything that would make the car a better overall experience than the 1LT and 2LT are options, for me the Corvette was a dream car and I wanted it loaded because I wanted the best possible ownership experience. Ive been driving lesser cars for decades and I felt like the C7 should feel like a step up in all areas.
Old 01-08-2015, 06:49 PM
John Ulrich
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 270 Likes on 199 Posts

If you purchase a 3LT in the "best" color don't forget to budget another $1,200 for a matching steering wheel!

Old 01-09-2015, 06:17 AM
Curahee
Pro

Received 123 Likes on 76 Posts
Default Mulan Rules

The Mulan leather comes from a privately-owned mulan ranch just south of Dallas.
Old 01-09-2015, 06:50 AM
grandpawmoses
Race Director

Originally Posted by Curahee
The Mulan leather comes from a privately-owned mulan ranch just south of Dallas.
You mean they don't skin the Walt Disney character????
Old 01-09-2015, 09:52 AM
Keith N
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

For all C7 owners, it's a matter of choice if you go with a 3LT, 2LT or 1LT. We can all agree that the interior is 100 times better than the C5 and C6 models (previous owner of a 2LT C6 Coupe & 2LZ C6 Z06).

Last edited by Keith N; 01-09-2015 at 11:35 AM.
Old 01-09-2015, 11:13 AM
Motohead279
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

While it may be subjective to what people may want to order, there is no subjection to the actual differences. If you ever saw them side by side there is a night and day difference between the look and feel.
Old 01-09-2015, 09:57 PM
RedC7AZ
Race Director

Received 534 Likes on 334 Posts

I'm comparing 2LT with 3LT. The difference in price between 2LT and 3LT is $5,290. Subtract Nav and PDR, and that leaves about $3000 for the Napa leather.
Old 01-09-2015, 10:00 PM
RedC7AZ
Race Director

Originally Posted by Motohead279
While it may be subjective to what people may want to order, there is no subjection to the actual differences. If you ever saw them side by side there is a night and day difference between the look and feel.
No, it's subject to people's perception. That's exactly my point. There is a difference obviously, but some don't see, feel or perceive a "night and day" difference between the 2 interiors. Others do. Some feel it is worth the extra $3000 others don't.

Last edited by RedC7AZ; 01-09-2015 at 10:03 PM.
Old 01-09-2015, 10:27 PM
dpb
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

No, it's subject to people's perception. That's exactly my point. There is a difference obviously, but some don't see, feel or perceive a "night and day" difference between the 2 interiors. Others do. Some feel it is worth the extra $3000 others don't.
Old 01-10-2015, 10:01 AM
roleku
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's bonded vs natural hides. Bonded is a lesser quality hide that has scars and surface defects. They then take vinyl and bond it over the the hide to give it a more perfect appearance. Mulan is that type of leather. This type of leather process makes the material less prone to fading and staining because the exterior surface is really vinyl. 70% of all automotive leather is bonded because of better durability. The suede like Corvette seats and trim are 100% man made and not leather as well.

Last edited by roleku; 01-10-2015 at 12:50 PM.
Old 01-10-2015, 10:31 AM
Motohead279
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

I agree with what you are saying in that its everyone's own judgment if the price difference is worth it, but my point was responding to a few that said there wasn't much of a difference between the look and feel of the two different leathers. There is a big difference. One is smooth and supply, the other has a textured plastic feel to it. Anyone who says otherwise has not seen them side by side or is trying to convince themselves otherwise. Interior is very important to me as you spend most of the time inside the car and the cost was well worth it. Some don't care and 1LT or 2LT is perfect for them. To each is own.
Old 01-12-2015, 05:54 PM
RedC7AZ
Race Director

I agree with what you are saying in that its everyone's own judgment if the price difference is worth it, but my point was responding to a few that said there wasn't much of a difference between the look and feel of the two different leathers. There is a big difference. One is smooth and supply, the other has a textured plastic feel to it. Anyone who says otherwise has not seen them side by side or is trying to convince themselves otherwise. Interior is very important to me as you spend most of the time inside the car and the cost was well worth it. Some don't care and 1LT or 2LT is perfect for them. To each is own.
Not many would describe the 2LT leather as, "textured plastic". One could also argue that you need to "convince" yourself that your $5300 was well spent. Thus your very subjective use of terms to describe each leather.

Interior is very important to me. To me the 2LT represents a very nice interior, seats and all. If the C7 in 2LT form did not have such an interior I may not have purchased a C7.

I had Napa leather in my last car - Z4. Nice to have , but not an essential part of a nice interior for me and many others.

Last edited by RedC7AZ; 01-12-2015 at 06:03 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Mulan vs Napa Leather

Old 01-13-2015, 09:18 AM
BIC
Pro

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

I agree with what you are saying in that its everyone's own judgment if the price difference is worth it, but my point was responding to a few that said there wasn't much of a difference between the look and feel of the two different leathers. There is a big difference. One is smooth and supply, the other has a textured plastic feel to it. Anyone who says otherwise has not seen them side by side or is trying to convince themselves otherwise.
I think many are missing the original point. Yes, there is a clear difference between the 2LT vinyl dash and the 3LT leather dash. But the point was there is no discernible difference between the seats. I went back and forth between the two and could not see or feel a difference in the Mulan vs Napa seats. Might be due to protective coatings on both hide the difference.

I'm not a leather expert, but I have two leather jackets that cost near $2,000 each and can appreciate fine leather. I can see clearly see why the jackets demand a premium, not so much with the 3LT seats. The dash needs no comparison; it's leather vs vinyl.
Old 01-13-2015, 11:00 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,681 Likes on 6,668 Posts

Originally Posted by BIC
It is easy to find info on the web about Napa leather (3LT) but nothing about Mulan leather (1LT, 2LT). I've seen the question asked on this forum several times, but not recently and never clearly answered. On previous threads, there has been speculation about Mulan, i.e., it may be bonded, etc., but nothing definitive. So, what is Mulan leather?

On digital page 9 of the 2015 brochure, it says the 3LT seats have "Grade A Napa leather...." On digital page 27, it says it has "Napa leather seat inserts." What are seat inserts? Is it just the center perforated part or the whole seat surface including the side & thigh bolsters?
For what it's worth; lots of info and opinions in this thread but thought this leather shop in Florence, Italy had a good explanation of Nappa leather. His stuff is pretty pricy!
"We always talk about the soft and luxurious feel of Napa leather, but do we really know where it came from? There was a man called Emanuel Manasse who worked for a tannery in Napa California in 1875 and he was the guy who first invented it.
I want to keep this simple and not get bogged down in too much technical stuff, so firstly, it is a full grain leather and comes from the skin of kids or lambs. The pieces are small and very soft and are perfect for gloves and jackets. It is one of the most expensive kinds of leather as the way it is treated and dyeing has to be done with the utmost care. It is very supple and lightweight and wears well compared to other leathers."
Here is info from another source:

Properties of Nappa Leather
The leather is very soft and pliable. It is not hard like other leathers and does not crease.
The leather is tough and durable in spite of being soft. It is not easily spoiled.
The leather has an intact top-grain. Hence, it is more "breathable" and does not retain moisture.
The leather often develops a patina over the years that adds to its aesthetics.

Goods made from Nappa leather include - bags, wallets, toiletry kits and goods of personal use. Nappa leather however, has also been used for car furnishings. Nappa leather seat covers are available to go with many cars, such as a Ferrari, Porsche or a BMW.
Old 01-13-2015, 11:03 AM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,403 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

You mean they don't skin the Walt Disney character????
See post #20

Quick Reply: Mulan vs Napa Leather