Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fixed interior squeak

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2015, 12:51 AM
mpuzach
Race Director

Received 1,190 Likes on 594 Posts

My coupe began having a noise in the same area as the OP's car a couple of months ago although I'd characterize it as more of a small rattle than a squeak. It sounded kind of like the sound you'd get if you had a small screw bouncing around in a plastic cup; it was faint but definitely audible and it could only be heard when the interior was cold. After reading this thread I decided to try the fix offered by the OP. I put a piece of self-adhesive heavy felt on the inside of the halo where the orphan tab is (so the tab touched the felt) and to my pleasant surprise the noise is now gone. Time will tell if the fix lasts but at this point I'm cautiously optimistic. What I'm now wondering is whether or not the noise will surface on the driver's side as well. (So far it has not.) Oh well, if it does at least I'll know what to do.
Old 01-22-2015, 03:56 AM
lastcowboy
Melting Slicks

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

save yourself some time , white l. spray grease works ever time
Old 01-22-2015, 07:48 PM
RussM05
Melting Slicks

Received 1,013 Likes on 365 Posts

Originally Posted by lastcowboy
save yourself some time, white l. spray grease works ever time
While it may work on squeaks, it may not help on a rattle. Also, I really don't like spraying white lithium grease anywhere near the interior where it could cause a stain. It tends to spread and migrate where you don't want it. You could use Q tip to apply the grease.

The more I think about it, cutting off the orphan tab completely probably is the best fix. Its not suppose to be there, so get rid of it.
Old 01-23-2015, 03:54 PM
Supermassive
Melting Slicks

Received 793 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by RussM05
Sorry, but you are wrong.....

Hollow is like a hollow log or depression in the ground. Look it up if you don't believe me.

I am also wrong. Should be Halo.
I stand corrected, but I was thinking you were pointing out "hollow" panels instead of the halo...which makes more sense now. Thanks for putting in the effort to fix this, I didn't mean to ruffle feathers but it did help to clarify what you were actually addressing.

As for Mr. Snappy, I am sorry I offended you by not capitalizing the word god...but you should not jump to conclusions about what others believe as car forums are certainly not the place for theological discussion or disagreements.
Old 02-04-2015, 10:45 AM
hector123
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks will do it today....
Old 04-13-2015, 08:06 PM
PARANORMAL
SUPPORT AUTISM
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10, '14

Originally Posted by RussM05
The only panel to remove is just the panel above the driver and passenger head. That just pulls off. It is attached pretty firmly, so you have to pull it pretty hard to get if off. (insert "that's what she said" here) All attached with clips.

The trim panel around the small window just needs to be pulled down a little from the top to expose the orphan plastic tab. Just stick the Velcro over that like my photo shows. Or simply trim it down. I don't think it needs to be there.

I put a strip of Velcro on the tan square tube.
Thank you for taking the time to post this detailed how to fix. I finally removed my Halo last week and trimmed down both orphaned tags on both sides. Drove the car for a week to make sure and the noise is gone.
Old 04-13-2015, 09:20 PM
seel2000
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Snappy!
You're right, NO ONE LIKES IT. Does us all a favor and take your OCD offline.

AND since you are such a F'ing expert, the word is God, not god. The word, when referring to the all-mighty, is always capitalized.
On all points...
Old 04-13-2015, 09:26 PM
seel2000
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Snappy!
You're right, NO ONE LIKES IT. Does us all a favor and take your OCD offline.

AND since you are such a F'ing expert, the word is God, not god. The word, when referring to the all-mighty, is always capitalized.
Originally Posted by Supermassive
I stand corrected, but I was thinking you were pointing out "hollow" panels instead of the halo...which makes more sense now. Thanks for putting in the effort to fix this, I didn't mean to ruffle feathers but it did help to clarify what you were actually addressing.

As for Mr. Snappy, I am sorry I offended you by not capitalizing the word god...but you should not jump to conclusions about what others believe as car forums are certainly not the place for theological discussion or disagreements.
Well while you're at it why don't you tell us whether or not you were wrong on God vs. god in your particular case.
Old 04-19-2015, 02:55 PM
sromley
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so, do you apply the grease all along the roof seams, or just where the latches connect? I hope I have this problem and not some other, hard to find squeak.
Old 04-19-2015, 03:50 PM
PARANORMAL
SUPPORT AUTISM
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10, '14

Originally Posted by sromley
so, do you apply the grease all along the roof seams, or just where the latches connect? I hope I have this problem and not some other, hard to find squeak.
Two different problems, two different approaches. The C6's were known for this rattle. Dilectric grease and c clips was the solution. I know, I had to do it. The rattle described on this thread by the OP on the C7 is completely different. You can put as much grease on the latches and you'll still have the rattle. I know, I also had to do this.
Search the C6 Forum, the OP that had the thread was MrToner, I remember it well because I could not believe how easy and permanent the fix was. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Fixed interior squeak