Sponsored by:

My Curb Alert install in a Z06 Grille

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2015, 11:11 AM
ramtip
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Glen e
you can, a more elegant way is get a y splitter for the control box and feed them both:
Glen, this is very intriguing. How do you control your LED lighting from an audio signal?
Old 03-29-2015, 11:46 AM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 935 Likes on 489 Posts
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by ramtip
Glen, this is very intriguing. How do you control your LED lighting from an audio signal?
the current just lights a light, not actuates a speaker.....don't overthink this...just hook the speaker output to an led light. This has been done with the approval of the inventor of this device, He has become a friend of mine...

unplug speaker and plug this in, or Y split it; it will trigger both speaker and light:

Old 03-29-2015, 02:04 PM
elegant
Safety Car

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Followed managerman's install exactly, and it works perfectly on my Z!
Old 03-29-2015, 02:36 PM
ramtip
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

the current just lights a light, not actuates a speaker.....don't overthink this...just hook the speaker output to an led light. This has been done with the approval of the inventor of this device, He has become a friend of mine...

unplug speaker and plug this in, or Y split it; it will trigger both speaker and light:

That is easier than I thought. I was thinking you had the audio as an input to some sort of amplifier.
Old 03-29-2015, 03:35 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by ramtip
That is easier than I thought. I was thinking you had the audio as an input to some sort of amplifier.
at my age, I only do easy....
Old 03-29-2015, 04:19 PM
EcoBrick Bob
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 76 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by C6 MoneyPit
I'm with you on the control box - mine is under the glove box next to the speaker and will stay there, too hot in that engine compartment if you have a choice IMO. If you feel like it I would like to see a photo of your install of the sensor. Which mount did you use?
I used the one that was mounted on the sensor when I opened the box. It fits quite tightly in that space. However, I need to re-program the sensor, as it was raining when installed, and my garage wasn't long enough to set it up properly. Then more company came, and it sits with the speaker plug unplugged till I get time. LOL I felt that installing it as low as possible in the grille keeps the angle of the sensor more level.
Old 04-03-2015, 06:33 AM
C6 MoneyPit
Melting Slicks

Received 123 Likes on 81 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'10, '15. '22-'23

Default My Sensor Installation

Thanks again for all the info guys. This has been very helpful. I looked at the various options and decided on a slightly different mounting. I used the short bracket that was installed on the sensor when it came. However instead of using the side where the VHB tape was already installed, I removed that and decided to use new tape on the other side. Two reasons for this. 1) I thought that "hanging" the sensor on the slat instead of mounting from the underside would make for a little better mounting - that way the sensor pulling downward only makes the contact with the grille better, and 2) Mounting this way gave me a little more adjustment of the sensor up and down. Here are a few pix so you can see what I mean. I will be installing the grille later today and hopefully getting the curb alert recalibrated and good to go!

Old 04-03-2015, 07:47 AM
managerman
Pro

Received 230 Likes on 106 Posts

Thanks again for all the info guys. This has been very helpful. I looked at the various options and decided on a slightly different mounting. I used the short bracket that was installed on the sensor when it came. However instead of using the side where the VHB tape was already installed, I removed that and decided to use new tape on the other side. Two reasons for this. 1) I thought that "hanging" the sensor on the slat instead of mounting from the underside would make for a little better mounting - that way the sensor pulling downward only makes the contact with the grille better, and 2) Mounting this way gave me a little more adjustment of the sensor up and down. Here are a few pix so you can see what I mean. I will be installing the grille later today and hopefully getting the curb alert recalibrated and good to go!

Awesome! Looks great!! Good luck on the Grill install!

-M
Old 04-03-2015, 05:43 PM
Jakeross
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the great instructions. The pictures are very helpful.
Old 04-05-2015, 01:35 AM
C6 MoneyPit
Melting Slicks

Received 123 Likes on 81 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'10, '15. '22-'23

Default Done and Done!

The grille is in and the sensor is working fine. Pointing down more than you might think, but works fine!

Old 04-05-2015, 10:09 AM
agbullet
Intermediate
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Glen e,

Can you point me in the right direction to find a red led with the right connector? Also where/how did you mount it?

Old 04-05-2015, 10:28 AM
Glen e
Race Director

Tech Contributor

I bought the parts at radio shack, no part numbers, soldered it and heat shrink it, then it mounts under the lip of the hood - this is a video, click on it...

parking in my condo garage..pulling up slowly to the wall:

Last edited by Glen e; 04-05-2015 at 10:54 AM.
Old 04-05-2015, 10:29 AM
Stingray Al
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

I like the LED idea
Old 04-05-2015, 01:34 PM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,822 Likes on 2,066 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

...then it mounts under the lip of the hood...
Got a picture of how that is mounted? It's not on the hood, right? Did you drill a hole into the cowling?

Elmer.
Old 04-05-2015, 01:53 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by eboggs_jkvl
Got a picture of how that is mounted? It's not on the hood, right? Did you drill a hole into the cowling?

Elmer.
Drill??? .....Oh hell no....LOL....Totally reversible.....VHB tape right under the hood lip.....run it up under the hood insulator....zip tie the rest...
Old 04-05-2015, 08:05 PM
NMC7Z06JJ
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the very detailed post, much appreciated. I'm just thinking that GM could/should have included this as an option on a car that can top the $100K (mine did). Some of us who are mechanically challenged (me again) could just factory order options like this. Just a thought, enjoyed you post though.
Old 04-05-2015, 11:03 PM
CAB6
Burning Brakes

Received 1,575 Likes on 404 Posts
2023 C8 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 Corvette of the Year - Unmodified
Winner 2020 C7 of the Year - Unmodified

The grille is in and the sensor is working fine. Pointing down more than you might think, but works fine!

I did not like how the sensor looked when pushed to the front of the grill. I think it takes away from the clean look. I took some black gutter screen and zip tied it to the grill. on the diagonal it matches the screening on the rear of the car. By cutting slots in the screen you can fold back tabs to hold the sensor recessed back from the front of the grill. If you fold the slats back narrower than the sensor it will hold it tight while you test it for a proper angle. When I got the angle set I carefully jb welded and tapped it in place. I did this before the lower portion of the car was reassembled. Be careful not to bump the senor until dry. You can't see the sensor unless you bend down pretty low to see it. Some may not like gluing it in place. you may be able to create a different mounting solution.
Attached Images       
Old 05-07-2015, 10:48 AM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,822 Likes on 2,066 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

This is a great "How To" thread. Since it is so easy to bring a wire inside to the cabin, I'm going to bring in the power lead and tap the lighter socket in the console. This will give me a switched source of power. Since I hook up to a battery maintainer at night, I don't want the sensor talking to me as I walk past the front of the car.

I have this thread bookmarked for my install.

Elmer
Old 03-15-2019, 01:24 PM
Mike Raines
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where is the hole to access getting the wire from behind the grill to the top of the engine compartment?

Did The 1521 brakes stop the brake squeal?

Quick Reply: My Curb Alert install in a Z06 Grille