Sponsored by:

Cracked windshield

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2015, 11:22 PM
trkdvn2
Intermediate
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Safelite came to my Indiana a office to install my BMW windshield that has the heads up display. The company took my information over the phone and then came out for the installation. The installer realized they gave him the wrong product and then had them reorder the right one. Besides going above and beyond they knocked $50 off the bill for my inconvenience.

As with any service related industry they are only as good as the people they sub contract to. I had a good experience as they replaced with an OEM windshield on my car.
Old 03-04-2015, 11:30 PM
speedlink
Safety Car

Received 599 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by Kyflyer
Just a bump to subscribe to this thread. Interesting question.
Whenever you want to do that, just use this
Old 03-05-2015, 06:48 AM
Wormwood
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Varcix
So mad this happened, first time for me on any of my past 5+ cars. But I got a rock chip crack in my windshield on the C7 this past weekend.

It's a good size crack, half dollar size, and sadly the crack is right in the drivers view directly in the middle.

I realize in the state of FL the windshields are replaced for free under my insurance, but I wonder when they switch it out will they use a factory GM windshield with the logo and one that is capable of working with the heads up display without any issues? Have anyone done this already and recommend a good company?

You should know that the generic glass does not have the alignment pegs in the upper corners of the windshield. This makes it even harder to replace a difficult windshield to begin with. Additionally the HUD isn't as bright on the generic glass. Insist on the GM glass! I've had 3 windshields replaced, the outside frame gasket is fine & very tough, that's the least of your worries. The biggest concern is when they go to press on the replacement windshield. MAKE SURE THE ROOF IS INSTALLED!!! without the roof there is not visual gauge to know how close to setting the windshield against the frame. The gasket that's been mentioned requires the windshield to be at a specific distance from it in order to create you weather proof seal (i.e. rain proof seal) otherwise water will travel laterally to either side & drip inside the A pillar & go down to the kick panel & floor pan.

Over $2000 in glass to train my local safelite installers... & one corvette with a bust windshield!?! I was pissed.

One last bit when they go to remove the windshield, using the wire on a crank, make sure the don't catch the composite materials at the bottom by your defroster. Also that wiring harness should be out of the way as well.

Wormwood
Old 03-05-2015, 07:01 AM
C7Joy
Race Director

Received 176 Likes on 157 Posts

I had a windshield replacement done by SafeLite and was very happy with them. It was not a Corvette BTW.
Old 03-05-2015, 07:41 AM
Varcix
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I did take it to the dealer, and they don't do the actual replacements, they use this sub contracted company whom they highly recommend.
Old 03-05-2015, 11:10 AM
rockit1
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

Default dealers dont do glass

Originally Posted by theanswriz42
Any reason you don't just take it to the dealer to be installed?
they vendor it out, however yon can get the dealer involved, if you want.
Old 03-05-2015, 11:48 AM
theanswriz42
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In 8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08, '15

Originally Posted by rockit1
they vendor it out, however yon can get the dealer involved, if you want.
Even if they get a third party vendor, you know they're dealing with someone who has experience with it. Besides, if your insurance company is paying for it, why do you care who does the install as long as it's done correctly with OEM parts?
Old 03-05-2015, 12:03 PM
Myfourth1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,239 Likes on 1,092 Posts

Default Tricky installation....

Trust me, you need to make sure the installer knows what they're doing and it is a GM certified HUD windshield. I just had mine done and it was the first C7 the installer worked on. He said he had done lots of Corvettes but no C7's. Despite that, after struggling for a while, he was able to complete the job successfully and it came out great. The installer was recommended by State Farm and was highly respected.

Old 03-05-2015, 02:01 PM
vbcorvette
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mythird1
I just had my windshield replaced under State Farm and when I demanded a GM certified version ($1,400), which is $400 more than a non certified, they said 'no problem" and it was replaced. I demanded a GM version after people on this forum advised me to do so. Of course, 2 days after the installation I got another chip which will mean another windshield but I am allowed 4 per year in AZ, thank goodness.
Is it just me, or is driving north and south on the 101 like running through a gravel pit? I swear my wife's SUV has gotten more then a dozen chips in her windshield over the past few months all on the expressway.

Because of this I no longer drive my C7 on the expressways.
Old 03-05-2015, 08:07 PM
Myfourth1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,239 Likes on 1,092 Posts

Default It's not you....

Originally Posted by vbcorvette
Is it just me, or is driving north and south on the 101 like running through a gravel pit? I swear my wife's SUV has gotten more then a dozen chips in her windshield over the past few months all on the expressway.

Because of this I no longer drive my C7 on the expressways.
It's not you. My wife and I go up the 101 all the time to Scottsdale and that is where I have gotten all my chips and cracked windshields. I stopped using the C7 and we now use my wife's 2015 Lexus RX350 and guess what? It now has a chip in the windshield.

The root cause of the problem is the lane widening they're doing and the constant construction vehicles going up and down the 101. Unfortunately, it's pretty much the only freeway that goes to Scottsdale from Gilbert and surface streets take too long. The construction is supposed to last 2-3 more years so I guess I'll be nurturing my relationship with State Farm for the foreseeable future....
Old 03-06-2015, 05:03 PM
vbcorvette
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mythird1
It's not you. My wife and I go up the 101 all the time to Scottsdale and that is where I have gotten all my chips and cracked windshields. I stopped using the C7 and we now use my wife's 2015 Lexus RX350 and guess what? It now has a chip in the windshield.

The root cause of the problem is the lane widening they're doing and the constant construction vehicles going up and down the 101. Unfortunately, it's pretty much the only freeway that goes to Scottsdale from Gilbert and surface streets take too long. The construction is supposed to last 2-3 more years so I guess I'll be nurturing my relationship with State Farm for the foreseeable future....
Thanks, that makes total sense and quantifies why I get so many chips on my windshield.

Hopefully they'll complete the construction project soon.
Old 08-10-2015, 04:36 PM
Mango34
Heel & Toe

Default Ordering new windshield for 2015

Went to my corvette dealership. Car has only 1,200.00
Crack front windshield driver side. They Recommeneded a glass person they used. Insurance will be taking care of it. I was just informed by the glass company that he Recieved a call from the parts dept.? That it will be on back order until August. 26-28.

It seems like a long time to Waite for the windshield. Yes, HUB.
The pebble did not hit the glass directly. Hit the rubber strip. Real small.

Harvey

Originally Posted by Along4theRide
Safelite is just a broker, they use independent shops based on your location, so your mileage can vary greatly over the skills any one shop can have. While I have received amazing service when calling for work at my office, 50 miles away where I live, the local shop they use is just awful. Starting with missing appointments, to the total lack of skills of the technician.

When scheduling with Safelite, be sure to get the name of the underlying shop. Call them and ask about their skill level working Corvette's etc. or better yet ask them for a reference customer in your local area. I know its crazy but better safe than sorry. YMMV
Old 08-10-2015, 04:40 PM
Mango34
Heel & Toe

Default How long for replacement windshield

How long did it take to get the replacement? Was did it have the HUB
I did take it to the dealer, and they don't do the actual replacements, they use this sub contracted company whom they highly recommend.
Old 08-10-2015, 07:47 PM
C7-Beast
Safety Car

Received 331 Likes on 201 Posts

Fist time in 10 years and probably 9 cars and at 1100 miles I had a stone come up and crack my HUD windshield. Safelite asked if it had HUD and rain sensors. I said "yes". The MSRP for the windshield was 1199 but the Safelite price was 634. Cost me 500. The new windshield says HUD on it but don't recall seeing the GM symbol. Are they making aftermarket windshields now for the C7?

I then called my insurance and they told me a 0 deductible for comprehensive for all 4 of my cars was 200 more per year. With all the deer near me and the horrible roads, I feel better with a zero deductible.
Old 08-10-2015, 09:20 PM
rmorin1249
Le Mans Master

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,174 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16,'18

Good reason to carry low deductible comprehensive coverage.
Old 08-10-2015, 11:06 PM
waunavet
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts
St. Jude Donor '20

Originally Posted by Bburr
I am not sure about Florida but here in my KY area, Safelite AutoGlass is considered excellant. www.safelite.con
I owned my new '15 for 10 minutes when a dump truck threw a stone and put a quarter size break in the windshield. Safelite fixed it with no cost to me. Don't replace the glass if you don't have to. The SL tech said it's not an easy job on these cars.
Old 08-10-2015, 11:37 PM
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
Received 1,456 Likes on 799 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by Mango34
Went to my corvette dealership. Car has only 1,200.00
Crack front windshield driver side. They Recommeneded a glass person they used. Insurance will be taking care of it. I was just informed by the glass company that he Recieved a call from the parts dept.? That it will be on back order until August. 26-28.

It seems like a long time to Waite for the windshield. Yes, HUB.
The pebble did not hit the glass directly. Hit the rubber strip. Real small.

Harvey
it has to be a HUB or else it's not worth the waite and it should come recommeneded.

Get notified of new replies

To Cracked windshield

Old 08-11-2015, 12:05 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,305 Likes on 13,977 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Turns out with my crack being directly in the driver's point of view the entire windshield needs to be replaced and the company the dealer recommended was happy to order the factory GM windshield! Let's hope it gets installed with all new rubber gaskets soon!

Thanks for all the input!
Good deal for you. Hope they do a great job on the install.
Old 08-11-2015, 08:16 AM
gwalsh88
Burning Brakes

Received 803 Likes on 163 Posts

I had my windshield replaced here in Florida by K&K glass which is who the dealer suggested. I'm told most of the dealerships farm out this type of work. I insisted on an OEM windshield and Allstate came through for me. I watched the guys from K&K and they did a great professional job (maybe because I was watching but the end result was a great install). For what it is worth, two friends have had windshields replaced by Safelite (different locations) and have had problems. Ripped headliner and a terrible paint scrap right up the windshield pillar. In both cases Safelite eventually fixed it but they made my friends jump through hoops to get it done. Certainly not the experience you see on their commercials.
The following users liked this post:
rmorin1249 (02-25-2017)
Old 02-25-2017, 11:01 AM
mrscribner
6th Gear

Originally Posted by SilverScorp
I have state farm insurance and had a rock hit my windshield and crack it on my 2010 GS. I demanded a GM logo windshield, but the company stated that they don't replace with a GM windshield due to the high cost of the part. Instead they use an OE part which was ok, but the sunshield built into the upper part of the windshield wasn't like the GM part and the glass itself was lower quality.

You should be diligent that they DO NOT reuse the windshield molding and gaskets as the fitment will never be right. Ask them to replace with new gaskets and molding. They reused mine, and I never had any leaks, but when it was hot outside the gasket would pop out a bit and I had to push it in in some places on occasion. Lessons learned. Hope this helps.
As a licensed ins appraiser in Fl, the ins company can NOT replace your WS with anything other than an exact replcmt. If the replcmt WS is missing any kind of factory logs/markings etc it is NOT considered "exact replcmt."

Quick Reply: Cracked windshield