Sponsored by:

Cracked windshield

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2017, 01:36 PM
Bavaria
Burning Brakes

Received 121 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Mythird1
I just had my windshield replaced under State Farm and when I demanded a GM certified version ($1,400), which is $400 more than a non certified, they said 'no problem" and it was replaced. I demanded a GM version after people on this forum advised me to do so. Of course, 2 days after the installation I got another chip which will mean another windshield but I am allowed 4 per year in AZ, thank goodness.
Also in AZ and anticipating this will eventually happen as I'm on I-10 frequently - where did you have your windshield replaced?
Thanks.
Old 02-25-2017, 01:41 PM
rmorin1249
Le Mans Master

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,174 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16,'18

In most cases you are better off going to an experienced glass place rather than the dealer. Many dealers have little to no experience replacing auto glass. In fact, many good body shops farm out the glass work. USAA uses Safelite and I have had several good experiences. You may need to specifically request on OEM product in the case of a Corvette with HUD.
Old 02-25-2017, 01:44 PM
Myfourth1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,235 Likes on 1,090 Posts

Originally Posted by Bavaria
Also in AZ and anticipating this will eventually happen as I'm on I-10 frequently - where did you have your windshield replaced?
Thanks.
Check out my earlier post #28. It was almost 3 years ago so I don't recall the name of the company but I was referred to them by State Farm and they came to my house and did the install. They did a great job.
Old 02-25-2017, 01:45 PM
Myfourth1
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by rmorin1249
In most cases you are better off going to an experienced glass place rather than the dealer. Many dealers have little to no experience replacing auto glass. In fact, many good body shops farm out the glass work. USAA uses Safelite and I have had several good experiences. You may need to specifically request on OEM product in the case of a Corvette with HUD.
This is the OEM HUD part...

Old 02-25-2017, 02:06 PM
PKI
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

The windshield cracks vary a bit in this thread, but I am shocked at how fast the Corvette cracks seem to grow. Is the windshield a stressed component on a Corvette, or are the windshields somewhat fragile? Have had windshield pits on lots of cars. If you fix them, they stay fixed. Only failure I have seen was on a Honda that I neglected to have repaired. Drove into the dealer's service bay and it cracked straight across as if to say "help me please - see how he abuses me!"

Safelite - a broker - OK, that may be why they said they had replaced 10. Maybe that is a number based on a big population of subs. It sounded like a lot for one shop to have seen.

What saw yee all. Is the windshield crack thing just a sign of the times? Roads in disrepair, lots of construction and therefore projectiles flying. Or is it just normal, amplified by the internet focus? Pat
Old 05-17-2017, 05:38 PM
c7fasteddie
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by C7-Beast
Fist time in 10 years and probably 9 cars and at 1100 miles I had a stone come up and crack my HUD windshield. Safelite asked if it had HUD and rain sensors. I said "yes". The MSRP for the windshield was 1199 but the Safelite price was 634. Cost me 500. The new windshield says HUD on it but don't recall seeing the GM symbol. Are they making aftermarket windshields now for the C7?

I then called my insurance and they told me a 0 deductible for comprehensive for all 4 of my cars was 200 more per year. With all the deer near me and the horrible roads, I feel better with a zero deductible.

As far as I know your Corvette has no rain sensors??
Old 05-17-2017, 06:16 PM
c7fasteddie
Racer

Originally Posted by Wormwood
You should know that the generic glass does not have the alignment pegs in the upper corners of the windshield. This makes it even harder to replace a difficult windshield to begin with. Additionally the HUD isn't as bright on the generic glass. Insist on the GM glass! I've had 3 windshields replaced, the outside frame gasket is fine & very tough, that's the least of your worries. The biggest concern is when they go to press on the replacement windshield. MAKE SURE THE ROOF IS INSTALLED!!! without the roof there is not visual gauge to know how close to setting the windshield against the frame. The gasket that's been mentioned requires the windshield to be at a specific distance from it in order to create you weather proof seal (i.e. rain proof seal) otherwise water will travel laterally to either side & drip inside the A pillar & go down to the kick panel & floor pan.

Over $2000 in glass to train my local safelite installers... & one corvette with a bust windshield!?! I was pissed.

One last bit when they go to remove the windshield, using the wire on a crank, make sure the don't catch the composite materials at the bottom by your defroster. Also that wiring harness should be out of the way as well.

Wormwood

TNSQUIRE has just replied to a thread you have subscribed to entitled - Cracked windshield - in the C7 General Discussion forum of CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion.

This thread is located at:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...2&goto=newpost

Here is the message that has just been posted:
Remove roof. The installer asked it to be removed. He had to access the top of the windshield to break the seal. Also made it easier to remove the mirror and upper trim pieces.

How do you feel about this other response??

Last edited by c7fasteddie; 05-17-2017 at 06:17 PM.
Old 05-23-2017, 12:28 PM
mountainc7
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealer reply

Contacted my dealer on this cracked windshield problem, and they are denying any responsibility or liability. They claim that since GM hasn't acknowledged that there could be a design or manufacturing problem, they (The dealer) is not responsible and I am on my own with the replacement of the windshield. What a crock!
Originally Posted by mountainc7
Purchased 2015 C7 6/2016. Found a crack in upper left corner (drivers side) of windshield on inside glass layer. Dealer had Safelight replace, all is OK. Placed car in storage 1st of Dec '16, Just brought car out of storage, found crack in windshield in same spot. Dealer has no explanations, Safelite is "researching the problem". Is this a common occurrence to have 2 cracked windshields in less than 10 months! My old C5 convertible didn't have these issues. Any insight or help would be appreciated.
Old 05-23-2017, 12:38 PM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,439 Likes on 2,059 Posts

Contacted my dealer on this cracked windshield problem, and they are denying any responsibility or liability. They claim that since GM hasn't acknowledged that there could be a design or manufacturing problem, they (The dealer) is not responsible and I am on my own with the replacement of the windshield. What a crock!
It should be covered. I had mine replaced about a year ago. A field rep from GM came to see the car and he determined it was welding slag in my case, but mostly it is caused by poor alignment pin placement on the area the windshield sits on the frame. The pins are sometimes not flush. Heard that from the GM rep himself.

Last edited by joemessman; 05-23-2017 at 12:39 PM.
Old 05-23-2017, 05:06 PM
c7fasteddie
Racer

By the way I am in need also. Did you get the Safellite brand? And if so how is the HUD working? tks
Old 05-23-2017, 05:08 PM
c7fasteddie
Racer

Dose anyone know if our Corvettes have Rain Sensor??
Old 05-23-2017, 05:09 PM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by c7fasteddie
Dose anyone know if our Corvettes have Rain Sensor??
Not on Corvette.
Old 05-23-2017, 07:44 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,046 Likes on 1,358 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

FYI-
We needed the HUD W/S on our C6 replaced in Phoenix during March. The glass company said insurance (State Farm) would only pay for aftermarket, so I asked how much extra to get genuine GM. They checked and said that GM was the same price, so of course we went for that.
Old 06-02-2017, 10:55 AM
Carqwik
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Damn...big rock chip in windshield this morning on the 101 in Scottsdale! Sounded like a gunshot when it hit! I was at least 50 yards behind a pick up truck doing 75 and BANG! Crap...car is 2 months old.

I've got the HUD and don't really want to replace the windshield (although I've got glass coverage). I wonder if a "fill" can cover it for a while...anyone local know a good place to get the crack filled here in Scottsdale area?
Old 06-02-2017, 11:42 AM
Myfourth1
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Carqwik
Damn...big rock chip in windshield this morning on the 101 in Scottsdale! Sounded like a gunshot when it hit! I was at least 50 yards behind a pick up truck doing 75 and BANG! Crap...car is 2 months old.

I've got the HUD and don't really want to replace the windshield (although I've got glass coverage). I wonder if a "fill" can cover it for a while...anyone local know a good place to get the crack filled here in Scottsdale area?
If the chip or crack is too big, filling it in won't help much. I just had my wife's Lexus windshield chip filled in and it's still visible. Not sure why you don't want to replace the windshield. I've replaced 2 so far with no problems whatsoever. State Farm covered the full cost of a GM certified HUD part. Your insurance company can recovermmend a reputable glass shop to fix or replace it. Good luck.

Old 06-02-2017, 11:52 AM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

I understand your concern. Call your dealer and find out who they hire to replace windshields. Your dealer goes with the most reliable because they don't want unhappy customers on the ones they have replaced. Get it fixed.
Old 06-02-2017, 02:37 PM
Carqwik
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

I got it filled at Safelite's shop here in N Scottsdale this morning. Although several of the spider cracks did grow a bit during the process, the repair guy said that the resin filled in the cracks after a second repair process. You can still see the cracks if you look hard...

I can live with it...after all, it's part of the experience of ownership!

Quick Reply: Cracked windshield