Sponsored by:

Automobile (Poorly) Renders New Mid-Engine Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 03:12 PM
C Moe
CorvetteForum Editor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Automobile (Poorly) Renders New Mid-Engine Corvette

With their newly released renderings, Automobile Magazine becomes the latest group guessing what the design of the upcoming mid-engine Corvette C8 might be.

Read the rest on the Corvette Forum homepage. >>
Old 02-26-2015, 03:13 PM
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
Received 1,456 Likes on 799 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

why do they think that an entirely new Corvette will retain pretty much the exact front end of the previous generation, poorly rendered is right.
Old 02-26-2015, 03:14 PM
Ernest_T
Drifting

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Perspective is all over the place on that one.
Old 02-26-2015, 04:15 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,929 Likes on 4,810 Posts

Old 02-26-2015, 05:04 PM
pkadams
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 29 Posts

WOW!!!! I hope this is a wrong guess. Looks like the stuck the back of a hatchback wagon on the front of a C7.
Old 02-26-2015, 05:06 PM
LIE2ME
Le Mans Master

Received 4,579 Likes on 1,646 Posts

NEWSFLASH!!! Our friends at Jalopnik just posted this photo of the actual test mule...!

Old 02-26-2015, 08:46 PM
VetteMarshal
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like someone put a male C7 and a female Mitsubishi Eclipse in the same room...
Old 02-26-2015, 08:52 PM
11B250
Melting Slicks

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

if it looks like that, you can keep it LMAO
Old 02-26-2015, 08:56 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,447 Likes on 2,272 Posts

Are they ventilating the luggage up front with that huge vent?
Old 02-26-2015, 09:49 PM
Jp23rockstar
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

If they want the c8 design to stand out, they can't just take front engine proportions and make it mid engine proportions incorporating the same design cues as the c7. I hope they make it even more radical in the design department than the current c7. The design team should have more leeway in terms of design in a mid engine package.
Old 02-26-2015, 09:54 PM
Archways C7
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 2 Posts

Gallardo...
Attached Images  
Old 02-27-2015, 12:47 AM
Nobull
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Automobile Magazine rendering

The negative comments on this rendering are interesting. Remember, the comments about the Jalopnik drawings for the upcoming c7 when they were published several years ago were also very negative. However, when the c7 was actually released everyone almost immediately changed their tune. It has to be very obvious for many reasons that the mid engine version is now being designed, and I think this rendering is probably pretty close to the mark (outside of the hood vents). Look, the present c7 is not going to have a production run of only three years; the economics would not work. Yet, in order to remain competitive in the market place (Ford GT,
Acura NSX, Audi R8, etc) a mid engine has to be produced. In order to not alienate the corvette crowd there has to be continuity with the present model (again, outside of the hood vents) and basic similar features with the present model (while upgraded and somewhat changed) have to be maintained, thus, the somewhat similar front and rear ends. In 2020 when the complete changeover would take place an updated design for both the stingray and the "ZR1 Zora" would happen.
This is the obvious approach. And to the naysayers on this thread, if the Automobile renderings are accurate, and I believe that economics and common sense say that they are, I say that this car would be a "visual killer" if and when it appears.
Old 02-27-2015, 02:25 AM
Supermassive
Melting Slicks

Received 794 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by Nobull
The negative comments on this rendering are interesting. Remember, the comments about the Jalopnik drawings for the upcoming c7 when they were published several years ago were also very negative. However, when the c7 was actually released everyone almost immediately changed their tune. It has to be very obvious for many reasons that the mid engine version is now being designed, and I think this rendering is probably pretty close to the mark (outside of the hood vents). Look, the present c7 is not going to have a production run of only three years; the economics would not work. Yet, in order to remain competitive in the market place (Ford GT,
Acura NSX, Audi R8, etc) a mid engine has to be produced. In order to not alienate the corvette crowd there has to be continuity with the present model (again, outside of the hood vents) and basic similar features with the present model (while upgraded and somewhat changed) have to be maintained, thus, the somewhat similar front and rear ends. In 2020 when the complete changeover would take place an updated design for both the stingray and the "ZR1 Zora" would happen.
This is the obvious approach. And to the naysayers on this thread, if the Automobile renderings are accurate, and I believe that economics and common sense say that they are, I say that this car would be a "visual killer" if and when it appears.
First off the Jalopnik pics were leaked by someone with actual access to GM renderings. Second Automobile magazine and Motor Trend are notoriously bad at guessing what future cars look like...its almost a running joke.

If GM decides on a mid engine layout it wont be a C7 and it wont share the front end of the current C7 either, not to mention the obvious copy paste job of a Gallardo rear end.

Also in what planet is the Ford GT considered competition to the Corvette. Let's just forget the fact that Ford basically said the price will be around Lamborghini Huracan price...not Corvette Z06 price. The NSX and R8 are also not actual competitiors either because in order to have performance on par with the Z06 in either the price is well north of $150k.

Why does GM all of a sudden need to have a hyper car to compete? The ZR1 came out and decimated the performance car world for a fraction of the price. The new C7 Z06 is pretty much doing the same thing.

If GM does come out with a mid engine hyper car it wont be branded a Chevy or a Corvette for that matter, they will need it to be Cadillac at a minimum to get people to pay the kind of money that a hyper car demands. The only reason the Ford GT can get away with being called a Ford is because of the legacy of the GT40. GM doesnt have a legacy race car that they can link to, to justify an exorbitant cost for a Chevy.

Last edited by Supermassive; 02-27-2015 at 02:35 AM.
Old 02-27-2015, 06:53 AM
C7_Z06
Melting Slicks

Received 62 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by C Moe

With their newly released renderings, Automobile Magazine becomes the latest group guessing what the design of the upcoming mid-engine Corvette C8 might be.

Read the rest on the Corvette Forum homepage. >>
Automobile's creative ingenuity (lack of) isn't exactly thnking outside of the box..... looks like a Lambo Gallardo on a C7 with Ferrari wheels...
Old 02-27-2015, 07:05 AM
cpgst21
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can honestly say that my corvette ownership will end with the C7. Just not a fan of the mid engine look and for the majority of us, we buy for the looks. I realize that the mid-engine set up will make the car much more race ready but just not for me.
Old 02-27-2015, 07:58 AM
tcrote5516
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by VetteMarshal
Looks like someone put a male C7 and a female Mitsubishi Eclipse in the same room...
One could infer that there are male Mitsubishi Eclipse's out there somewhere from that statement which everyone knows isn't possible.
Old 02-27-2015, 08:47 AM
rcooper
Safety Car

Received 676 Likes on 480 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Not my cup of tea, but the wheels are good.

Get notified of new replies

To Automobile (Poorly) Renders New Mid-Engine Corvette

Old 02-27-2015, 10:38 AM
Jimbob26
Burning Brakes

Received 81 Likes on 64 Posts

Maybe the new mid-engine arrives as a 2018 model above the Z06, at a price of ~$150K. That would give the Corvette family the 'base' C7, the Z51 package, the Z06, and finally the new Zora, if that's what it's called. Back in the olden days GM wanted to market a car for every level of income; maybe that's what is happening with the Corvette, in a manner of speaking.
Old 02-27-2015, 10:42 AM
1SG_Ret
Melting Slicks

Received 478 Likes on 283 Posts

Agreed, poorly rendered with way too much carry over of the C7 to be called a redesign. I rather see the new NSX Acura with Corvette logos than this.
Old 02-27-2015, 10:43 AM
Crabbers
Le Mans Master

Received 116 Likes on 79 Posts

Again?

This is about the fourth rendering of what the car is going to look like, and we've already seen the mule of what is absolutely going to be the new mid engined Corvette finally after 40 years and definitely not a Holden or just a camouflaged car [/sarcasm]

Quick Reply: Automobile (Poorly) Renders New Mid-Engine Corvette