Sponsored by:

Dealers that discount

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2015, 08:11 AM
J_Vette_Manuel
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by VNAMVET
Florida dealers are tougher I guess......
Actually, I'd suggest the opposite..

I bought my Stingray at an AutoNation dealership in Central Florida and received a SUBSTANTIAL discount as it was in stock... Now, I have a good relationship with that GM. PM me and I can get you his information. Not sure what he would do, but he is a very fair guy and isn't trying to hold all the money on a Corvette...

For anyone out there, I'm a vendor in the auto business and almost EVERY Chevrolet dealer I talk to will discount a Corvette... You just have to negotiate, they always say no... They are supposed to.
Old 05-21-2015, 08:31 AM
juanvaldez
Team Owner

Received 493 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by J_Vette_Manuel
Actually, I'd suggest the opposite..

I bought my Stingray at an AutoNation dealership in Central Florida and received a SUBSTANTIAL discount as it was in stock... Now, I have a good relationship with that GM. PM me and I can get you his information. Not sure what he would do, but he is a very fair guy and isn't trying to hold all the money on a Corvette...

For anyone out there, I'm a vendor in the auto business and almost EVERY Chevrolet dealer I talk to will discount a Corvette... You just have to negotiate, they always say no... They are supposed to.
So does the supplier discount affect the amount of money the dealer gets for the car? Is there any reason not to discount on top of the supplier discount?
Old 05-21-2015, 08:41 AM
Ernest_T
Drifting

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by juanvaldez
So does the supplier discount affect the amount of money the dealer gets for the car? Is there any reason not to discount on top of the supplier discount?
Yes it does because you are paying less for the car. GM doesn't make up the difference between MSRP and the discounted price. Some dealers are okay with selling for less, others are not. I had to go to several dealers before I found one that would take the CU/Military/Supplier discount.
Old 05-21-2015, 09:46 AM
GizmoZ
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 32 Posts

Quick question... I see people talking about the "supplier discount". Isn't this just buying the car at supplier pricing? That num ber is easy enough to find. Why does this require eligibility like credit union or military? I get it if the dealership won't otherwise sell at supplier, but I've never had a problem getting them at supplier price. Is this different?

Originally Posted by Ernest_T
Yes it does because you are paying less for the car. GM doesn't make up the difference between MSRP and the discounted price. Some dealers are okay with selling for less, others are not. I had to go to several dealers before I found one that would take the CU/Military/Supplier discount.
Old 05-21-2015, 01:22 PM
mpuzach
Race Director

Received 1,190 Likes on 594 Posts

Looking to order '16 for Museum delivery, Artic White W/Z71,1LT, 7 sp, White roof, Black wheels. I qualify for supplier discount via retired military but am curious if I can get a little discount on top of that. Location doesn't really matter since it is museum delivery. Anyone know a dealer that discounts off of MSRP?
Supplier pricing makes for a great deal for the buyer while still allowing the dealer to make a little money. That seems fair to me.
Old 05-21-2015, 03:25 PM
juanvaldez
Team Owner

Originally Posted by mpuzach
Supplier pricing makes for a great deal for the buyer while still allowing the dealer to make a little money. That seems fair to me.
So how much you figure a dealer should make for placing an order on a car it will never see and doing some paper work?
Old 05-21-2015, 04:18 PM
mpuzach
Race Director

So how much you figure a dealer should make for placing an order on a car it will never see and doing some paper work?
If it was your business and livelihood, how much would you think was fair?
Old 05-21-2015, 05:22 PM
juanvaldez
Team Owner

If it was your business and livelihood, how much would you think was fair?
This is why competition is good. I have never paid window for any vehicle and I doubt I will for this one.
Old 05-21-2015, 09:11 PM
Gbjr08
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Call and talk to Geoff McMillan at lone star Chevrolet. I've bought all three of mine from him with a nice discount and I'm pretty positive they honor military discount.
Old 05-21-2015, 11:17 PM
mpuzach
Race Director

This is why competition is good. I have never paid window for any vehicle and I doubt I will for this one.
No one here suggested paying M.S.R.P. I stand behind my original question: If it was your business, how much profit do you think would be fair to both sides?
Old 05-22-2015, 10:42 AM
juanvaldez
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Gbjr08
Call and talk to Geoff McMillan at lone star Chevrolet. I've bought all three of mine from him with a nice discount and I'm pretty positive they honor military discount.
I gave him a call this morning.
Old 05-22-2015, 11:32 AM
Busa Dave
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 107 Posts

No one here suggested paying M.S.R.P. I stand behind my original question: If it was your business, how much profit do you think would be fair to both sides?

This is America--as much as the free market will support. Buyers and sellers are free to negotiate. If you are however not proficient negotiating then you are at a disadvantage.
Old 05-22-2015, 12:07 PM
juanvaldez
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Busa Dave
This is America--as much as the free market will support. Buyers and sellers are free to negotiate. If you are however not proficient negotiating then you are at a disadvantage.
Kinda like the bag boy at Walmart negotiating with Sam Walton over how much he will be paid.

It is interesting that some folks seem to negotiate a bigger discount than that is offered on supplier pricing/military discount.
Old 05-22-2015, 02:33 PM
OldJedi
Drifting

Received 615 Likes on 336 Posts

Living in Florida, I did not find a single dealer that accepted GM Supplier Discount. A few of the forum dealers do but none are in Florida. I did find that dealers in towns with GM plants almost have to honor GM Supplier/Employee discount because if they didn't 2-3 thousand GM employees would shop at a dealer that did. I used Rodgers Chevrolet in Woodhaven, Michigan right outside of Detroit. It seems that a lot of GM executives get their cars from them. I cannot day enough good things about them. Becky Doyle got our 2015 Vette built in the first week and when it could not be delivered at the 20th Anniversary of the Corvette Museum made arrangements to have it delivered to my home in a custom enclosed car carrier. That, is service plus she gave me Supplier Discount. Really great people to work with.
Attached Images   

Last edited by OldJedi; 05-22-2015 at 02:35 PM.

Quick Reply: Dealers that discount